37 rental cars - 2 days - 185,000 miles

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FlyerTalk 37rentals. What a great story. ^
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the encouraging replies!

Well, some of the miles have arrived, but far from all. I guess I'll have a hard time claiming the missing ones since I won't know which ones posted and which didn't.

To answer a few questions. Where to go with the miles? EuroBonus has some interesting zone definitions, with North/central Africa & Middle East for example including countries as distant from each other as Azerbaijan and Iran to Mozambique and Zambia. Flights between those are (at least in theory) available for only 15k/25k miles ow/rt in Y or 30k/50k in C. As far as I can tell, no other program flies those routes for so few miles.

If I don't fly from Azerbaijan to Mozambique, I will likely just wait for the next EuroBonus "point bargain", when they discount awards on SAS tickets with up to 50%, which makes for some amazing deals.

I did sign up for Avis Preferred, as far as I can tell that only helped speeding up the initial registration process at the rental office, I have not heard of any Avis points or free rentals coming from that?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Have you got the miles OP?

What a story! Well done OP!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 8:31 pm

I really like your story. However, just wondering, why you set the value of Eurobonus points so high? Unless you redeem them for premium class tickets that you would have bought anyway, and can't see them being worth the time and cash.

How do you intend to spend them?
Old Sep 13, 2015, 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Amelorn
This is the first TR that for me equals the "8 bottles of Dom on SQ" report for its "You insane, wonderful, cheeky motherf'er" value.
Indeed. This one is another epic tripreport!
Old Sep 13, 2015, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Hmm. I wrote a reply above which took a few days to appear here. I'll stop posting images from now on.

Originally Posted by Rasmus3s
just wondering, why you set the value of Eurobonus points so high? Unless you redeem them for premium class tickets that you would have bought anyway, and can't see them being worth the time and cash.
This is a very subjective question of course. I try to look at it from a strictly economic point of view: I only redeem miles for tickets that I would buy regardless (which means Y airfare). When I want to buy a flight ticket, I find the cheapest possible cash fare regardless of airline, and divide that by the number of miles it would cost me. This is the value at which I would be selling my miles. (In reality I use a slightly more complicated formula, which takes miles earned from flights and credit card into consideration.) If this value is less than around 1.75 euro-cents per mile, I pay cash. Otherwise I use miles.

Example: I recently decided to fly ARN - KRN - ARN. The cheapest flights were with Norwegian one way and return with SAS. Total price €385.70. I would earn ~2% bonus with Norwegian and 500 miles through SAS. I value those two at €15.31. I would earn 438 miles through my credit card, valued at €9.64. Paying with miles, it was 10k miles and €22.43 (a purchase that would earn me 25 miles valued at €0.55). In other words, I have the option of selling 10k miles for €(385.70 - 15.31 - 9.64 - 22.43 + 0.55) = €338.87, or 3.39 cpm.

So far, my average "sell" price for EuroBonus miles is 3.55 euro-cents per mile. I don't expect to keep this up in the long run though. I think 2.2 cpm is more realistic.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: DL DM
I hope you tipped the Avis people - or at least bought them lunch!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
When u are new and you will make it to a TBB post...you have talent, to say the least. Well done!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 5:13 pm

Use them, Don't lose them

Excellent job. Redeem those points before T&C changes. Happy travels.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:04 pm

good job!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA GLD
a modern day baht run, except for miles instead of segments. love it!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
OP, sheer brilliance! How many miles did Avis finally post?

Originally Posted by smachiz
I hope you tipped the Avis people - or at least bought them lunch!
That's what you got out of this?!! Typical American culture
Old Sep 14, 2015, 11:30 pm

You peeked too soon 37rentals....

How will you ever top this one?!?!?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 5:56 am

As a relatively new member myself, I'm still planning a big entrance such as this! I should really get my act together.

Well done!
Old Sep 15, 2015, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KYBOSH
You peeked too soon 37rentals....

How will you ever top this one?!?!?
38 rentals?

Originally Posted by COYBIG
As a relatively new member myself, I'm still planning a big entrance such as this! I should really get my act together.

Well done!
Welcome to FlyerTalk COYBIG. Even if you don't make a big entrance,we welcome new members here. Please get stuck in and we look forward to your first trip report. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.