Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

European Delivery of a new BMW

European Delivery of a new BMW

Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:56 pm

any financing would have the same " paying for it when it's on the boat issue " and for that matter paying cash would mean you also do not have use of the vehicle for that time frame so it's clear there is no advantage or disadvantage to the method of payment - you will pay either way.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: Cruise addict and AirBNB Plat :)
Great report so far ... looking forward to see the rest ^

Doing ED is also in my bucket list. One day ... one day
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:29 pm

I believe that at one point BMW did pay for your airfare, then they realized that they were becoming a travel agent. Instead, they offered money off in some other fashion. Perhaps that's when they began to credit back one month of the lease payment. At least that's what I heard.

Did you have to take the emergency kit out of the trunk before sending it on the boat? If you're going to cover that, I'll hold my horses

Nice TR! Can't wait to read the rest.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by jspira
That's really bad advice. Leasing an ED car is typically quite a good deal, given the fact that the residual is calculated based on U.S. MSRP. And BMW forgives one month's payment (although it does add a small ED charge to ED leases).

Each deal will vary based on the money factor and other incentives so there's no blanket answer - including saying "it's not a good idea."
Just curious: my experience and strategy with my last three cars has been to do so in late January-March when there is minimal traffic and dealers are motivated to move inventory (past cars Lexus HS, Nissan LEAF, and now BMW i3). If you place an order for a vehicle from the factory suffice to say it won't be as aggressive of a deal as a car the dealer has in inventory and eager to move and get off their lot. Sure a marginal order/sale is advantageous to them but I suspect it's as aggressive as something they have on the ground and you're ready to sign and drive away that day.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 3:31 pm

ED deals start at 7% off MSRP - not bad for a custom built sled in my view.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by anjeo
Despite what the dealer says, that amount is negotiable. Oh, be prepared for sob stories, losing money on each ED sale, etc. I negotiated 10% off by writing all sales managers in the Southeast, and took the lowest price. They will deliver to whatever dealer you select.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by TPA us ff
Despite what the dealer says, that amount is negotiable. Oh, be prepared for sob stories, losing money on each ED sale, etc. I negotiated 10% off by writing all sales managers in the Southeast, and took the lowest price. They will deliver to whatever dealer you select.
Did you send emails or snail mail ?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Did you send emails or snail mail ?
Fax. Good luck.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: most of them
Did you tell Dieter you were going to pick up a Beemer?
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
I don't do custom deals. My i3 before incentives was discounted by more than 20%. Granted I did lease, but contrary to popular belief the "selling price" or gross capitalized cost does matter.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:38 pm

+1

I love getting the line "we have to keep the lights on and pay our sales staff". When they say that I respond, "oh is this dealership financially distressed? Maybe I should go to a fiscally sound dealer"
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:41 pm
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz & Avis PC; National EE; SPG & Hilton Gold; AC 35K (yawn)
If you are doing ED to get the best price on a car you are doing it* wrong.

* life
Old Oct 1, 2015, 8:05 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
+1

I love getting the line "we have to keep the lights on and pay our sales staff". When they say that I respond, "oh is this dealership financially distressed? Maybe I should go to a fiscally sound dealer"
HAHA!
Old Oct 3, 2015, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jlemon
Great TR thus far, FlightNurse! And I'm looking forward to your impressions concerning the BMW Welt.

Wonderful place, that BMW Welt, and highly recommended! ^
Being a typical american we both weren't ready for the no A/C thing, that happens in German and other European countries, other then that we both liked how BMW treated us, we both thought the lounge was excellent, the food was good (not as good as LH's FCT.) It was stuffy and warm in the lounge too, wished it was cooler.

Originally Posted by Fly Baby
How exciting - enjoying this TP so far and having seen BMW Welt in Munich earlier this year, I'm sure you'll be in for a great time.

I have a 3 series 320d GT - I've had him a year and he is just wonderful to drive. Would like to try him on the autobahns though!
We parked next to a 320d GT in Austria, I wish BMW would import a diesel GT into the states..

Originally Posted by eminere
Now that is a heap of caviar. Well done you on getting seconds!
The flight crew was awesome, the FA asked if I wanted some for breakfast, couldn't say no...

Just curious: is the European delivery available for any BMW made in Europe? Including the BMW i3/i8 EV/PHEV?
Yes, even the i3 and i8, but I do know that BMW has a limit on how many of them are done via ED..

Originally Posted by jlemon
Hmmmm.....well, it appears the BMW i3 and i8 are not included in their European delivery program. My observation is based on a quick look at the European delivery section of the BMW website. If you click on the "Get started" button, all of the cars available for European delivery appear, including 2 series, 3 series, 4 series and 5 series as well as Z4, M3, M4 and M5 models. However, the i3 and i8 do not appear. You may want to call BMW directly for clarification.
They are on a limited bases.

Originally Posted by Ty Vil
I see your PHX based - which BMW Center did you use?

Nerding out here as I'm a BMW Client Advisor!
Send you a PM

Originally Posted by fly7b2
I considered doing something similar a few years back when I got my M5. Unfortunately I couldn't make the timing work! In hindsight and with your TR, I probably should have tried to make it work a little harder! Thanks for sharing.
This was my first ED and not my last, it is well worth it, it was a lot of fun.

Thanks about six months into a 24 month lease on an i3 BEV Giga world. First BMW and non-Japanese car for me. Overall less than fully pleased compared to Nissan LEAF and Model S I have driven. Was asking as I was more curious if there was a special tour of the Leipzig plant and tailored route for the EVs limited range.
How do you like your i3? I wish the interior didn't look so plain, my commute would be perfect for i3ish type car.

Originally Posted by peterk814
Leasing a Euro delivery car is not a good idea. You pay for the month that the car sits in a boat.

Thats a lot of treatment for a 328!
Man oh man, you have no idea on what you are taking about..

BMW picks up your second payment, while the car is being shipped back home, you get 7% off the price of the car, others like myself was able to get a total of 10% off the car. So it's a great way to purchase a BMW.

Originally Posted by jspira
That's really bad advice. Leasing an ED car is typically quite a good deal, given the fact that the residual is calculated based on U.S. MSRP. And BMW forgives one month's payment (although it does add a small ED charge to ED leases).

Each deal will vary based on the money factor and other incentives so there's no blanket answer - including saying "it's not a good idea."
It is easy to say that ED pricing is a great way to get into a new BMW.

any financing would have the same " paying for it when it's on the boat issue " and for that matter paying cash would mean you also do not have use of the vehicle for that time frame so it's clear there is no advantage or disadvantage to the method of payment - you will pay either way.
Either way BMW picks up a payment or two while waiting for the car to return to the dealership, not too sure how that is a bad deal.

Originally Posted by aSiAnRiCk
Great report so far ... looking forward to see the rest ^

Doing ED is also in my bucket list. One day ... one day
Sorry for the delay it's coming and thank you.. It's a great way to see Europe..

Originally Posted by farbster
I believe that at one point BMW did pay for your airfare, then they realized that they were becoming a travel agent. Instead, they offered money off in some other fashion. Perhaps that's when they began to credit back one month of the lease payment. At least that's what I heard.

Did you have to take the emergency kit out of the trunk before sending it on the boat? If you're going to cover that, I'll hold my horses

Nice TR! Can't wait to read the rest.
The only manufacture that pays for your airfare is Volvo, BMW gives you a discount on LH, but only in Y...

Just curious: my experience and strategy with my last three cars has been to do so in late January-March when there is minimal traffic and dealers are motivated to move inventory (past cars Lexus HS, Nissan LEAF, and now BMW i3). If you place an order for a vehicle from the factory suffice to say it won't be as aggressive of a deal as a car the dealer has in inventory and eager to move and get off their lot. Sure a marginal order/sale is advantageous to them but I suspect it's as aggressive as something they have on the ground and you're ready to sign and drive away that day.
This isn't true one of the nice things about ordering your car and doing an ED is the fact it does not come out of the dealer allotment and they sell a car that cost them ZERO money and they make money on the deal .. So it's a win/win.. BMW will be making some changes to the ED program, in which certain cars will not be on the ED list for at least a year once they are released. This will be mostly M cars.

7% is the starting point...

10% is average if you know what you are doing, I know of a few dealers on the west coast that will start at 10% off a ED car.

I don't do custom deals. My i3 before incentives was discounted by more than 20%. Granted I did lease, but contrary to popular belief the "selling price" or gross capitalized cost does matter.
i3 are different cars, there is a lot of federal money on them, right now BMW has a lease deal, ZERO down and $299/m For a while the Activehybrids 3 and 5 had federal money, and you could lease a 60K car for $499/m with zero down..

+1

Those are the dealers that I walk from.. Not worth my time

Originally Posted by briantoronto
If you are doing ED to get the best price on a car you are doing it* wrong.

* life
Not really, since I had access to the true dealer invoice on my car, I paid $500 over that, the reason why ED prices are lower, the car comes back into the states as a used car.. I love hearing people say, I could always do better...
Old Oct 3, 2015, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Day in Munich

So our free day in munch started off early with Breakfast in the Lounge, have to say this lounge was of the saving graces of this place. I received a message from the hotel since returning saying that starting in Nov, the guest room will be upgraded, nice to know this...

So we took the U-bahn to The Welt, then from The Welt to Marktplatz Rick had broken his glass's and needed to them fix. Now, have to say this, we didn't much prep work on things to do in Munich since we weren't going to be there long, but The Marktplatz is one place you must see, a great way of putting old and new together.. So when we emerged from the U-Bahn station we were slightly over whelmed on what we saw, the beauty of the Gothic buildings, the typical Bavarian buildings with modern building and the amount of people! Here in Phoenix, we have a fairly large Muslim population, but seeing women walking in berka's was different, I can't imagine how hot they much have been, since Rich and I were roasting.. Rick was able to find the optical shop, got his glass's fixed and off we went.

After spend an a couple of hours here we headed back to the hotel to take a shower, a nap then headed out to dinner. One place that is a must is by The Marktplatz, The Hofbrauhaus of Munich, the original one, dating back over 400 yrs. What a treat it was to eat here, this is not your luxury eating place of Munich, but it's something to try once or twice. Basically when you walk in, you go and find a place to sit down, anywhere and with anyone. That was the treat of the place, we sat down next to 4 guys, and come to find out they all work for BMW, so it was interesting to chat with them about cars. The food is simple Bavarian but it was excellent, so was the beer! If you go sit outside, inside was hot and stuffy..

Pork Roast with a spongy potato and salad, Rick inhaled this as it was excellent.

Roasted 1/2 chicken, German potato salad and spaetzle. Just like Rick's it was excellent, moist check, crunchy skin.. Couldn't have asked for a better dinner. The company was great, spent about 3 hours there just talking, an interesting thing about the Europeans, there is no rush to eat dinner, and there is no rush from the restaurant or cafe to get you out, a nice relaxing dinner.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.