Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Honeymoon In Europe (UK, France, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, etc.) - AA/LH/EK F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Honeymoon In Europe (UK, France, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, etc.) - AA/LH/EK F

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:45 am

Very nice TR. Excellent pictures. Can't wait for more!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Honors Gold
Some excellent pictures here, thanks for the report.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by stu1985
Brilliant pictures of London! Great report chongl and congratulations on your marriage!
Thank you, stu1985

Originally Posted by daftboy
Agreed with the other posters – really excellent shots, I live here and you are making me want to swing by all the tourist attractions!

How did you find Dinner by Heston Blumenthal? I’d be interested to hear what it’s like (I’ve never been), especially now it has been open for a few years.
London is such a beautiful city with so much to offer! I'd love to come back again and take in more in the future.

I like food quite a bit so when I travel I like to opt for some higher end establishments to get an experience I would not be able to get in the US. We went to The French Laundry in Napa last year and were blown away that such a high standard of dining was possible. Since then I've researched numerous restaurants and we decided on Dinner by Heston Blumenthal after seeing a video on the meat fruit dish. I watched a show or two of his on Youtube which further demonstrated his cooking creativity/artistry. His other restaurant is temporarily closed, but that menu did not look as appealing to us.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Congratulations!

And wonderful shots!
Thank you, Thunderroad

Originally Posted by laksaksa
Congrats and sorry to read about the incident in Houston.

Great photos, been looking through your flickr. How is the Sony RX100 III? Seems to be able to achieve background defocusing like DSLR cameras. Potent enough for a phone cam guy like me surely?
I am extremely happy with the RX100 III. I got it from a Best Buy open box sale when I saw a thread on Slickdeals. It's lived up to the hype and can produce stunning images. I only picked up the 6D since I was afraid of "not getting the shot" on this trip of a lifetime. It will blow away any cell phone cam in low light situations, or if you have a tripod for night shots.

Originally Posted by benjahman
Great report, looking forward to the rest. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you, benjahman

Originally Posted by Carq
Nice TR and great pictures
Thank you, Carq

Originally Posted by farbster
Very nice TR. Excellent pictures. Can't wait for more!
Thank you, farbster

Finishing up London

We are heading off to Paris tomorrow, so here are the last batches of London photos. Yesterday started off later than usual to get our bodies some extra rest, so we skipped breakfast and went straight to get lunch at Shoryu for some ramen. I decided to try the Hibiki 17 Japanese whisky they offer as well.

On the way to the Churchill War Rooms, I snapped a picture of the Horse Guards Parade and a memorial. A very informative and interesting (to me) exhibit at the war rooms. Hard to believe that once upon a time, the place was bustling with activity and bombers were flying overhead.

Then we went to Westminster Abbey since it was open this time around, but photography is not allowed inside. The stained glass windows were mesmerizing.

Then, on to Hyde Park and The Orangery for some afternoon tea.

Next up was Kensington Palace and the nearby gardens (not many decent pictures of the former).

Followed by the Marble Arch.

Many of you have been fortunate enough to experience Balik Salmon on a CX flight. Since there was no way to get this in the states, and I was curious about the hype, we stopped by a Caviar House to try it out.

At this point we were going to turn back to the hotel, but the wife thought she saw a cheese shop. Turns out, it was a whisky shop . Quite a selection available...

On the way back, one last detour to Buckingham Palace. Since we pass by Big Ben every day leaving and returning to the hotel, another shot of it because, why not?

This morning, we went to the British Museum, then back to Camden Town for Poppies Fish and Chips.

Camden Lock was just down the road. We were lucky enough to spot the locks in action as a tourist boat came through.

We then strolled around a few more shops in the area before going to Covent Garden for some "custom" ice cream bars. I'm sure a few of you have had the awesome Magnum dark chocolate or caramel ice cream bars. Sadly though, it was a cool experience, but it wasn't that great.

Up next, Paris!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Outstanding TR, chongl... ^
Looking forward to the Paris installment.
I'm using the Sony RX 100 III myself and find it to be a great compromise between size and quality.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:55 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
SuperB photos and interesting to see the destinations through your eyes!

If going to Amsterdam try to walk around early in the "jordaan" district and capture the lightup and morning sunrise and people going to work. I used to live there and though i hated all the tourists, i cant deny anyone the fact that it's a pitoresque area to photograph. Congrats on your marriage and enjoy!
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chongl
Thank you all!

I am using a Canon 6D with 24-105 f4/L lens and also rented a 16-35 f2.8/L II. Some of the shots are taken by a very pocketable and potent Sony RX100 III for when I want to be a little more discrete. I used to have a crop sensor T3i, but the photos were never very sharp (maybe just a bad copy of the lens mismatching with my body).

I'll be posting some more pictures from our adventures in London over the next 3-4 days before we leave for Paris. We'll definitely be doing the more touristy things, so it may be a bit bland for the well-traveled.
excellent photos. do you do any post work, or are these straight from the camera?
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: Many
Nice pics!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, EK Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pref+
Amazing pictures!
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Geek platinum
Great TR, I love seeing London through a tourists eyes as I work there every day and so tend not to notice too much.

Great choice of restaurant going to a Dinner, I took my wife their last year and it was the best meal I have eaten by quite some distance (we also had the nitrogen ice cream!)
Old Sep 10, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum Elite, IHG Diamond
Great trip report and beautiful photos. I too have an RX100M3 and am a huge fan of it. Looking forward to the next installment!
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:44 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Congratulations on the honeymoon, and many thanks for the photos. There are some stunning shots in your TR. Looking forward to the rest.

Happy and safe travels,
RW
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
This is a nice report! I always love to be in London
Old Sep 11, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, SAS Eurobonus
Congratulations! Great trip report and beautiful photos!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 6:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by JohnRain
Outstanding TR, chongl... ^
Looking forward to the Paris installment.
I'm using the Sony RX 100 III myself and find it to be a great compromise between size and quality.
Agreed! The Paris portion will be below

Originally Posted by HadesNL
SuperB photos and interesting to see the destinations through your eyes!

If going to Amsterdam try to walk around early in the "jordaan" district and capture the lightup and morning sunrise and people going to work. I used to live there and though i hated all the tourists, i cant deny anyone the fact that it's a pitoresque area to photograph. Congrats on your marriage and enjoy!
Thank you HadesNL. Hopefully the weather cooperates as we started to get some rain here in Paris today.

Originally Posted by ekartash
excellent photos. do you do any post work, or are these straight from the camera?
Appreciate the kind words ekartash. I do some post in Lightroom, but I tweak the colors, crop, sharpening, etc. to my liking. Some that are more snapshots I don't bother too much with. I am only an amateur, so I'm sure some other more experienced photographers would have some constructive criticism.

Originally Posted by bodory
Nice pics!
Thank you bodory

Originally Posted by livingfire835
Amazing pictures!
Thank you livingfire835

Originally Posted by Joely
Great TR, I love seeing London through a tourists eyes as I work there every day and so tend not to notice too much.

Great choice of restaurant going to a Dinner, I took my wife their last year and it was the best meal I have eaten by quite some distance (we also had the nitrogen ice cream!)
It's a beautiful city with so many sights and sounds! I'm glad I was able to experience all that I did.

Originally Posted by LR2013
Great trip report and beautiful photos. I too have an RX100M3 and am a huge fan of it. Looking forward to the next installment!
Thank you LR2013

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Congratulations on the honeymoon, and many thanks for the photos. There are some stunning shots in your TR. Looking forward to the rest.

Happy and safe travels,
RW
Thank you roadwarrier

Originally Posted by offerendum
This is a nice report! I always love to be in London
A beautiful city indeed!

Originally Posted by broenor
Congratulations! Great trip report and beautiful photos!
Thank you broenor

Paris

So my wife has family in Paris...lots of aunts, cousins, and obligations just by being in town. We won't have as much time to explore, but we have been trying to squeeze things in where we can.

We left London mid-morning and arrived at St. Pancras train station for the Eurostar that would take us across the channel. One mistake we made was booking our tickets too late. I recall checking prices a month or two ago and they were close to 100 euro cheaper per person. We never booked thinking it would give us flexibility on when we would leave, but it ended up working against us, so lesson learned.

We arrived in Paris and were thankfully picked up by a cousin and checked into the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome. We were upgraded to a Park King, with a very comfy bed and a courtyard view. Afterwards, we were driven around a little bit and shown around town. I had some day pics of the Eiffel Tower, but the night shots I took more recently were a little better.

I was never a big fan of macaroons in the US, but on my list of to-dos was to try both ‎Ladurée and Pierre Hermé. We started off with Ladurée and I was blown away. The macaroons are extremely fluffy and light, not like any I've had previously.

The next morning, we boarded a train towards Bayeux for our half day Normandy tour. This was one of the first towns liberated after Normandy, an d also where our tour meetup point was. I have been quite interested in history most of my life, especially WW2, so this was a fitting trip to see the sites in person. While the views are breathtaking, you never forget it was once a place where many young soldiers shed blood and sacrificed their lives. I won't annotate too much and just let the pictures do the talking.

WW2 relics in a Bayeux shop

Building in Bayeux

1 of 4 gun encasements in the area

With me in the frame for a size reference

View of Omaha Beach from the memorial site

Pointe du Hoc. This is where the Rangers scaled the cliffs during their assault on the position. The craters and holes you see in the terrain were created by artillery or bombs.

Pointe du Hoc memorial to the Rangers

Back at Saint Lazare train station after the tour

A street cafe

We then grabbed some dinner and took a short break before heading out again to get some night shots.

Last edited by chongl; Sep 12, 2015 at 7:05 am
Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for sharing, some excellent photos and congratulations on getting hitched!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.