Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

30th birthday trip...... ABZ-DUB-LHR-LAX-HNL-OGG-HNL-LIH-HNL-LAX-LHR-DUB-ABZ

30th birthday trip...... ABZ-DUB-LHR-LAX-HNL-OGG-HNL-LIH-HNL-LAX-LHR-DUB-ABZ

Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by stu1985
Errrrrrrrrrrm are you kidding me JamieABZ?! Cream first and then jam. That's the rules......heathen.
Go on! You tell him old man…! ^
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:45 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
I would have done butter, then jam then cream on the top, come on you experts tell us the correct way.^
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Go on! You tell him old man…! ^
OI

Originally Posted by BA5E
I would have done butter, then jam then cream on the top, come on you experts tell us the correct way.^
No butter, sorry! And you do it the wrong way too!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:06 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
What a fab pic of Windsor Castle Stu, it certainly was a very clear day. Wow how empty the CCR was, so glad you were looked after on the terrace with your glass of fizz. Can well imagine not impressed seeing all the tables in the restaurant not cleared away, and stuff plonked on the chair at the table, not a good advert for a premium lounge. Looking forward to the trip from LHR^
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:12 am

OI

No butter, sorry! And you do it the wrong way too!
Oh there are so many comments on which way to do it, jam first then cream and other times comments are cream first then jam, but i will still stick to me way, BUTTER, no comment please!!!! then jam and cream, i will still land up with a creamy face whichever way i go.^
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
BingBongBoy is biased! I'm not taking that from him!
Hmmm, I am a butter lover, but maybe not before my JAM THEN CREAM!
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JamieABZ
BingBongBoy is biased! I'm not taking that from him!
Ooh! Is there going to be dissension in the granite city?

And, I have no idea why you would think I would be biased? No idea at all…
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OI
Ooh… I like it when you get all angry…
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
BBB, Stu and I are having this out topless on the beach in Aberdeen this weekend.
Would you like to referee? Wrong forum?
Anyway, back to the TR!
Dying to hear the rest, sounds like some deviation to the planned itinerary has happened.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamieABZ
BBB, Stu and I are having this out topless on the beach in Aberdeen this weekend.
Would you like to referee? Wrong forum?
Anyway, back to the TR!
Dying to hear the rest, sounds like some deviation to the planned itinerary has happened.
Ha! Wet t-shirt competition, is it?! More coming soon. Once I am finished being sleepy lol.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
nice report so far - do enjoy your reports and the pics and the behaviour and comments it generates amongst certain members.....
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

BA283, LHR-LAX, G-XLEC

I made my way down the special boarding route for First class passengers and was given a warm greeting at the door by a middle aged lady. She took me to my seat and asked if it was my first time on the A380. I said it was and she offered to explain the features of the seat to me.

She then said "Now I'm thinking you're a champagne type of guy but I also have orange juice or water. What would you like?"

"Oh, a champagne would be great."

"I knew it. Back in a moment!"

Ah, the sign of a great crew!

Avec champagne.....

Handy spot for the wash bag!

Some of the leather was sticky around the seat. I didn't say anything but my nice cabin crew lady came back and remarked "Would you look at that? Not very first class is it? Let me clean this up for you." So off she went, got a hot towel and cleaned the area up around my seat. You could tell she took pride in her job.

We had been boarded for about 30 minutes when Captain Dave came over the blower and said that someone had checked in luggage but they couldn't find him in the airport. They knew which container his case was in but they just had to find it when the container was opened. We should expect to wait another 15 mins or so. I nipped to the toilet (given that I had now finished a second glass of fizz) and returned to find it topped up. Oh well, who am I to say no?! Luckily I had bought a few large bottles of water to keep me hydrated!

At this point, the CSD came round and introduced herself to every first class passenger. Again, another example of a lady you could tell loved her job. Sometimes these chats can be a bit synthetic but she was the complete opposite and, from what I could hear, had a different topic of chat for each person. She was telling me about her recent trip home to Italy and we talked a bit about the Scottish weather. There was then the request that if there was anything at all she could do, however small it might be, then to ask for her at any time during the flight.

Menus were handed out on the ground with orders taken after we were airborne. For those interested, here it is.

I ordered the tuna, the soup, spicy chicken, the delice and then the cheeses I was in for a treat (hopefully!).

I asked to delay lunch for around 2 hours and this was met with a friendly smile and an "of course, that is no problem. I will start to set your table around 1pm."

After we took off, I changed into the PJs, settled down with a film and enjoyed the drinks service.

Right on cue and just as my film was finishing, my table tray was taken out and the table set up.

First off was an amuse bouche of watermelon, chopped cucumber and onion and feta cheese which was pretty good.

I was asked if I would like some white wine with the starter and when I asked which one to go for, I was told "Just one minute" and my cabin crew member came back and presented this.....

Next up, the tuna which was good.

And I couldn't pass up on the soup and I am glad I didn't because it was amaaaaaaazing!

This was then presented with the same idea as we had with the previous wine selection...

And then the chicken. I was a bit worried that it wouldn't be too spicy but I was wrong. It was great and had a mean a*s kick behind it!

I decided that I needed a 20 min break between the main course and the dessert. But after a while, it arrived and was yum although could have been doing with a little bit more coulis.

And with another short break, it was time for the cheeses.

But the culinary extravaganza wasn't over just quite yet. "Sir, nobody has touched the chocolates so you have to and I think you should try one of each!"

No, I didn't manage 6!

My bed was made up while I was in the toilet and I got a few hours shut eye as we were passing over Canada.

Before too long, it was time for the second service. I had been expecting afternoon tea, but it seems that BA have changed this to a lunch service which was a pleasant surprise.

The souffle was just ok. It was quite dry and I left some of it.

Chicken was tasty!

As were the wee profiteroles.

We started to descend over the red landscape and the captain came over to tell us that those of us on the right hand side would be able to see Las Vegas airport.

And we were soon in LAX. The CSD thanked each of us first class lot by the door as we were waiting to get off. Even being amongst the first off, I still had to wait just under an hour to actually get into the USA. The queues were massive and there seemed to be next to no staff actually checking passports etc.

So overall, a great flight in First class with BA. It's said a lot of the time but when you get a good crew like I had, it really does make a difference. I like seeing crew that enjoy their job and want to make it their mission to make the flight as good as possible for their passengers.

Next up, LAX-HNL!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chris1979
nice report so far - do enjoy your reports and the pics and the behaviour and comments it generates amongst certain members.....
I couldn't possibly comment!

Thanks for reading chris1979!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
[QUOTE=JamieABZ;25355414 BUT, jam on top of cream? Stu, please![/QUOTE]

Who puts jam on a scone first?! That's absurd!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL
All the best people! It's the only way to do it

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.