A Trip To Laos, Vietnam & Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip To Laos, Vietnam & Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2015, 8:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Wonderful trip report, you managed to see and do so much in your time and I love your "local color" photographs. Thank you for posting it.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shogunate03
Another amazing TR DanielW! As always, it truly captures the spirit of a place and makes us the reader feel like we're experiencing the locale and culture - and not just a bunch of fancy hotels or flying in J/F. Not that there's anything wrong with J/F.

How did you manage to get such underwater close-ups with your GoPro? Since it's so wide angle, I find that I had to get really close to wildlife - or try to at least but they scatter when I move closer.
Thank you, shogunate03. Yes, if I only took pics of my J/F travels (i.e. zero) it would be a very boring report!

The clown and anemonefish were quite inquisitive, so weren't too bothered having a Gopro poked in their faces. I had it on 10-shot burst mode, so generally got at least one good shot when using it too.

Originally Posted by JenGal
Thanks for another great report. Like many others, I would like to get to Vietnam some day and this just makes me want to do it sooner than later. I love the fact that you have family members embracing travel like this. I am the only one in my family that goes round the world for vacations. They pretty much think I'm a bit crazy and don't really even ask about my trips anymore (usually twice a year). I have a traveling buddy though, so always have company if i want it. So - good for your family and taking the kids while exploring the world!
Many thanks, JenGal. My family roots are from opposite parts of the world (Dad is British, Mum is a Kiwi) so I think we have inherited a bit of 'travel gene'. New Zealand is quite isolated geographically too so I think most of us downunder have a bit of an urge to see the world.

Originally Posted by ChiefNWA
Truly incredible pictures as usual! I love how well you capture the atmosphere in each city, especially locals. I just got back from HKG and loved it. I'll have a stopover in HKG next summer coming back to the US from JNB so I was thinking of doing a Vietnam/Cambodia/Laos type trip and I think this actually convinced me to pull the trigger on it.

What's your camera/lens setup BTW?
Cheers, ChiefNWA. Yes, people really help make the photo, especially for lively city scenes and makes it much more easier to take an interesting photo. Definitely recommend seeing more of SE Asia, very reasonable price-waise, safe and very friendly and easy going.

My camera is a Canon 5D3 plus a took a wide angle zoom (16-35mm) and a 50mm prime lens.

Originally Posted by blueline7
Daniel, you should know that across the world from you, in Canada, I spent a Sunday afternoon leisurely reading your trip report, to my great enjoyment.

I am impressed by how much you got in, with the stopovers! You must have a lot of energy. I would love to hear what your family thinks of your travels... I imagine your mum having some choice words for some of your destinations

I also want to mention how nice it is to see someone having a 5 star experience without spending boat loads of money. You always seem to have great food, comfortable accommodation, and no problem at all flying in Y, without sacrificing any enjoyment whatsoever. Good for you!
Thanks, blueline7. Yes, nothing like the excitement of being in a new place to shake off the jetlag and go exploring! I generally tell my folks after I get back from hairier places, keeps their stress level down to a minimum as well as all the safety related questions.

SE Asia is an easy place to travel well with a reasonable budget. Definitely alot of 'bang for your buck'.

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
One amazing TR thanks for taking the time to write and share!!
^
Many thanks, SgtRyan, was a pleasure to shoot/write and share it.

Originally Posted by lb8001
Another typically awesome DanielW TR - as a fellow diver, loved the underwater shots, and Rianda's look at your dog/cat comment (for which you should have been in Big trouble) was priceless. And good job on the selection of the purple shirt!
Thank you, lb8001. I had been teasing Rianda before the trip about eating more 'exotic' food, so couldn't resist pressing her buttons again.

I thought initially that the purple shirt was a little too 'loud' for my taste, but a great souvenir and have since grown to really like it.

Originally Posted by TEX277
I really used to dislike 'destination' reports....until I started to read yours. Exceptional as always and loved the photos.

That purple Vietnamese silk shirt is absolutely gorgeous! Love it!
Thanks, TEX277. Flying in Y means I have to make up for it for the 'destination' part of the report. I got a matching red silk shirt too, so one for both days of the weekend now.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Wonderful trip report, you managed to see and do so much in your time and I love your "local color" photographs. Thank you for posting it.
Thank you, CMK10. Yes, a really colourful, photogenic part of the world so really easy to take good photo's.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 5:02 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wonderful report and pictures as usual Mr W.

When I did Vietnam and Cambodia the year before last there wasn't enough time to squeeze in Laos as well. Looks like I will have to return to Indochina again soon to complete the set. Thanks for posting your report. ^

Last edited by Moomba; Aug 24, 2015 at 8:57 pm
Old Aug 24, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Wonderful TR, thank you! Beautiful pictures!
Old Aug 25, 2015, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moomba
Wonderful report and pictures as usual Mr W.

When I did Vietnam and Cambodia the year before last there wasn't enough time to squeeze in Laos as well. Looks like I will have to return to Indochina again soon to complete the set. Thanks for posting your report. ^
Many thanks, Moomba. Yes, Laos was a gap' in my SE Asia travels too, so when plan to Vietnam came up, I couldn't resist adding it in. Quite a bit different than the surrounding countries, especially population wise. E.g. Vietnam is only 1.4 times the land area of Laos, but has over 13 times the population! (90m people vs. 6.8m for Laos)

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Wonderful TR, thank you! Beautiful pictures!
Cheers, Air Rarotonga.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Great TR

Brought back some great memories of Hanoi and Hoi An for me.

Last year when I went to Vietnam and Cambodia, I did not get a chance to fit in Laos but that is a must do for my next trip.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:33 am

Programs: Qantas, air new Zealand
Great report and amazing pics. Brought back memories of our family trip to Vietnam last December. A place I will definitely return to.
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I loved your pics. Brought back great memories of Vietnam. Thank you.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Fantastic TR! Brings back lots of amazing memories. Thanks for sharing!

Don't suppose you get any photos of the monks talking alms in the morning in Luang Prabang? That was perhaps one of my favorite part of visiting Laos.
Old Aug 26, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG; Hyatt Globalist
A truly spectacular report. I was just in Vietnam with my family a few months ago and stopped through Hong Kong on the way back. Haven't made it to Hanoi or Hoi An yet, but those are coming with the next trip. When you go back please stop by Da Lat. I would love to see what yours photos would make Da Lat look like.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta Gold
What a great trip report. I always look forward to reading yours and seeing your beautiful pictures. Thanks for inspiring me to travel even more!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA, SPG
God I miss Vietnam. Best trip of my life besides sitges Spain
Old Aug 30, 2015, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Great TR

Brought back some great memories of Hanoi and Hoi An for me.

Last year when I went to Vietnam and Cambodia, I did not get a chance to fit in Laos but that is a must do for my next trip.
Thank you, adampenrith. Yes, Laos is definitely worth going back for!

Originally Posted by can_do_21
Great report and amazing pics. Brought back memories of our family trip to Vietnam last December. A place I will definitely return to.
Cheers, can_do_21. I would love to head back to Vietnam some time again too, quite alot yet to explore and see.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I loved your pics. Brought back great memories of Vietnam. Thank you.
Many thanks, Annalisa12.

Originally Posted by billyliu
Fantastic TR! Brings back lots of amazing memories. Thanks for sharing!

Don't suppose you get any photos of the monks talking alms in the morning in Luang Prabang? That was perhaps one of my favorite part of visiting Laos.
Thanks, billyliu. Unfortunately we missed the monks in LP. Too busy sleeping in.

Originally Posted by bhamsan01
A truly spectacular report. I was just in Vietnam with my family a few months ago and stopped through Hong Kong on the way back. Haven't made it to Hanoi or Hoi An yet, but those are coming with the next trip. When you go back please stop by Da Lat. I would love to see what yours photos would make Da Lat look like.
Thank you, bhamsan01, yes, will have to Da Lat for the next Vietnam trip.

Originally Posted by channonc
What a great trip report. I always look forward to reading yours and seeing your beautiful pictures. Thanks for inspiring me to travel even more!
Many thanks, channonc, glad to return the favour from all the other people in this forum who have inspired me to see the world too.

Originally Posted by Tony3021990
God I miss Vietnam. Best trip of my life besides sitges Spain
I guess the traffic in Vietnam was a little more unruly and Chaotic than Sitges.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Wonderful trip report as always, your pictures are simply amazing!
Old Aug 31, 2015, 5:24 am

Amazing post. Thanks for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.