Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Amtrak’s California Zephyr & Coast Starlight: The cross-country ride of a lifetime

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amtrak’s California Zephyr & Coast Starlight: The cross-country ride of a lifetime

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, CC Gold

Most of the reports I see on FT are via air, but I've got a great one via rail. Here's the intro:

Amtrak Guest Rewards is one of the hidden gems of Ultimate Rewards transfer partners. While mainstream travel hacking is all about flying international First Class, slow travel can be quite rewarding as well. In this trip report, I travel cross-country from Chicago to Seattle via Sacramento on the California Zephyr (50 hours) followed by the Coast Starlight (20 hours), both in the Superliner Roomette First class cabin. This means a private cabin with two chairs and two convertible beds, full meals, showers, and some of the most breath-taking scenery this country has to offer along the way. Where else can you have the luxury of waking up in your own bed for the sunrise over the Sierra Nevadas and having breakfast right next door?

You can find the rest and the pictures here. Enjoy!
http://focusedflyer.com/2015/07/29/r...of-a-lifetime/
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Wonderful post kpowed…!

I have amazingly fond memories of Amtrak, it being a big part of my first big adventure in 2005…!

I wanted to travel the US for about 6 weeks, and could have bought an air-pass, but decided to look at other options. Those being Greyhound or Amtrak. I had always been a train fan, so that is what I opted for… During my journey, I travelled on the following:

Lake Shore Limited - New York to Chicago.
Empire Builder - Chicago to Seattle (non-stop).
Coast Starlight - Seattle to San Francisco (Emeryville).

I was then supposed to travel from Los Angeles across the southern states over to Florida, but I can't remember the name of the train, but Hurricane Katrina happened and that changed. So, I re-routed back to the north and travelled on:

California Zephyr - San Francisco (Emeryville) to Chicago.
Lake Shore Limited - Chicago to New York.
Palmetto (?) - New York to Washington and back to New York again.

I thoroughly enjoyed Amtrak, met some amazing people along the way, and am still in touch with some of them to this date.

We are very lucky as visitors from outside the US, to get a very good deal on Amtrak, with unlimited travel (or it was at the time) for a set price in a regular seat, and sectors could be upgraded to sleepers, same as yours, and it was amazing…!

Sorry, a long post… But your report brought back amazing memories…

Thank you.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:18 pm

Very good and useful trip report. Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Excellent trip report and great photos, kpowed! ^

Similar to BingBongBoy, it brought back great memories of my first solo cross-country trip which involved taking the Capital Limited, Southwest Chief, and Coast Starlight from Washington DC to Seattle. Thanks for sharing!

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 31, 2015, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Enjoyed all the pictures! As for train TRs, paging CMK10
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:04 pm

Wonderful report. Thank you for sharing, and explaining just how easy it is to use Amtrak points for this.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
A great TR, in terms of both the trip itself and your guidance on how to book it. Definitely got me interested in doing something like this. Thanks very much!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 12:48 pm

Fantastic. Good to know.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, CC Gold
Thanks for the support! I'm really happy to pay it forward and hopefully inspire others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.