Search

Honolulu and the Halekulani via United and American First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Honolulu and the Halekulani via United and American First Class

Mrs. SFO and I are off today to Honolulu to attend a family function. As long as we have to go, we decided to stay an extra day and explore Oahu. We used to visit Hawaii a lot and indeed lived on the Big Island for year, but hadn't really spent much time recently in Honolulu. We're staying at Halekulani for the first time and naturally dining at Alan Wong's later this week.

No mileage run today as Mrs. SFO made it known that she wanted the nonstop. Although I did convince her that AA's HNL-DFW angled lie flat seat 767 redeye would be more comfortable even with a connection back home. We left home at a civilized 10AM and arrived at West Valet Parking lot a half hour later. PreCheck was backed this morning so we jumped the queue with CLEAR, arriving at the gate 5 minutes before boarding. And as usual with United, we became gate lice waiting to board.

Denver-Honolulu
UA 328
777-200
11:30A-2:40P
July 28, 2015
Wifi and Personal Entertainment streaming
Lunch

First time on a UA Hawaii configuration 777 with 2-3-2 seat in the "First Class" cabin. Lots of leg room and good recline but I wouldn't want to do a redeye on this bird.

What do you do when you want to hide controls that are no longer used? Tape it over of course, until inquisitive types start picking away at it.

But there is power today.

So far so good. Mrs. SFO is impressed with seating on this domestic flight.

Although the seats are short, even with the dopey extender, and it takes a while to find a reasonably comfortable sweet spot.

UA continues to impress. Exceptional and personable service by a wonderful DEN-based crew led by Purser Donna. Open bar PDB and three rounds of drinks before lunch.

Three choices and a nice variety of mains fully and patiently described by Purser Donna.
- Salmon with peppercorn, carrots, quinoa with lemon sauce
- Chicken breast with BBQ sauce veggies and basmati rice
- Indian paneer with tofu, rice and veggies

My salmon was very good although a little dry.

Passing over the Bay Area with only 4.5 hours to go.

For dessert, the mango sorbet with mint was very refreshing.

All in all, an excellent lunch and way better than the slop currently served on USdbaAA. But time to call the fashion police on Mr. 3F.

About 90 minutes before landing, tasty freshly baked chocolate chip cookie.

On descent passing by the airport before the right turn back to land.

Well United will never be confused with Lufthansa or Singapore, but today's flight was quite good for a North American domestic flight.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
We decided to Uber it today for our ride to Waikiki. It worked very well and five minutes after I booked Uber Black, we met out driver Raymond at the Tour Group area right just to the right of United baggage claim. Another 30 minutes later we arrived at the Halekulani, a Waikiki fixture for decades. Wonderful staff but the hotel is a little dated to say the least. And the rooms are in woeful need of a makeover, to bring them into 21st century or even the latter stages of the 20th century.

Talk about spartan hallways. Yikes.

On the other hand, we did receive a Virtuoso upgrade and had comfortable high floor room with a great ocean view. Also breakfast and a $100 resort credit. Not exactly luxurious digs though.

But a nice balcony with an excellent view.

Antiquated controls, no thermostat and AC that apparently has one option: On Full Blast.

Bathroom. Right out of the 70s.

Our room looked down on the House Without a Key, where we went for a drink and pupus.

Then back to room to freshen up for dinner.

At Orchids, one of the hotel's two fine dining restaurants.

Amuse-bouche.

My Manoa Lettuce salad with Kamuela Tomatoes, Sweet Maui Onions, Tarragon Dressing was pretty disappointing.

Mrs. SFO's Roasted Keahole Lobster with Thai Basil & Molee Sauce, Coconut Rice was excellent.

As was my Steamed Onaga Orchids Style: Long Tail Snapper, Shitake Mushrooms, Green Onions, Sizzled with Sesame Oil & Soy.

And we finished by splitting the wonderful Halekulani’s Signature Coconut Cake:
Chiffon Cake, Coconut-Amaretto Cream, Whipped Cream, Shredded Coconut.

And back to our room for the night.

Last edited by SFO777; Jul 31, 2015 at 8:16 am
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Great start SFO777. I promise I'm not stalking you, I just found this at the top right when I clicked on Trip Reports!

I think UA's crews and food have been a lot better recently compared to right after the merger. Still room for improvement, but I have found no reason to leave.

Hope you have a great stay.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by SFO777
UA continues to impress.
not something you will hear in a UA trip report every day!

the cabin on those 772s doesn't look awful, but definitely lacks privacy.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
As a military person, I have always stayed at the military hotel down the beach by the HHV. I have walked through the lobby of the Halekualani many, many times.

In the picture of the room service menu, what was the invitation to?

Great report. Enjoy the islands.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:13 pm

UA food looks interesting...salad with a side of - stuffing? And bone-in chicken; gutsy move. Definitely better than AA.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:27 pm

Halkelani or whatever is supposed to be the #1 hotel in Honolulu. So it was very interesting seeing the pictures.

In 1982 I stayed at the Pink Palace next door and it was fantastic. Flew on Pan Am F award. In those days it was so easy to get an F award. It included a limo from my apartment to the heliport and a free helicopter ride to JFK on New York Airways.

The flights were discontinued. One passenger got decapitated boarding by a propeller. Awful.

Originally they took off from the top of the Pan Am building. One propeller fell on Madison Avenue also killing a pedestrian.

Sorry to be so morbid. But your trip to Honolulu in an old fashioned F configuration brought back memories.

The so called F or C on UA looks like F in the 1970s on PAA and TWA.

As to United economy must be awful.

I better be careful how I am dressed if I ever sit next to you and make sure I am wearing the same color socks on each foot.

But I doubt it as I sit in 3rd class. My last F flight was on Pan Am in 82.
Thanks for an interesting fun report.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Here we go again, stand by your iPads great start. The room certainly has a view to die for - stunning ^
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Your HNL-DEN flight looked good. It's been my experience that the strength of UA are the flight crews, when they're good it makes all the difference.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
What great timing SFO777 - I'm taking my first trip to HNL in a little over three weeks and your pictures of the views have got me just that little bit more excited.

Looking forward to the rest of this
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:42 pm

Great report so far. Love the Halekulani. Hope you get to check out Orchids for Sunday brunch! Love it.

Also excited to hear about Alan Wongs
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
On my last trip to Honolulu we did Alan Wongs and were disappointed by the experience. Red curry paste has no business being on a piece of fillet steak - and I should have known this before ordering it.

Roy's - across the street from Halekulani blew us away with how good the food is - get a table outside though.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Is that Courvoisier I see?? Fancy!! Maybe you judged UA a little soon SFO777 . Thanks for sharing - have a great trip.

Last edited by Madone59; Jul 30, 2015 at 4:06 pm
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Nice report. I'll be stalking you (perhaps even looking down on you) from the "economy" (mauka) side of Kalakaua Ave. starting mañana.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:48 pm

On descent passing by the airport before the right turn back to land.

Not to hijack SFO777's post (Ok, I guess I just did) This picture has white spots out the window. Those are not due to the camera, not on the window, but in or above the water below. Can someone please tell me what that is? I noticed this on my recent flight into Honolulu but haven't been able to find out what the heck it is.

Now back to your regularly scheduled, award worthy, trip report!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.