Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Honolulu and the Halekulani via United and American First Class

Old Jul 31, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA Exp, MR Gold, Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by SFO777
Our room looked down on the House Without a Key, where we went for a drink and pupus.
My wife and I went to House Without a Key on our honeymoon six years ago. Definitely one of the best meals of that week. Good memories, sans the hit on the wallet from one of the jewelry shops in the hotel.

Fun report for a stroll down memory lane SFO, thanks!
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Nexus
I go to HNL a few times a year, and was just there again the week of July 13th. I actually was thinking of your trip reports, and wondering when you would post your HNL trip! :-)
We rent our suite out and always recommend "House without a Key" to couples. It's such a lovely setting.

Have you ever gone to The Kahala? I walked there from Waikiki because its just so beautiful! Stay there next time so I can enjoy it through you!
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by WikiHNL
I go to HNL a few times a year, and was just there again the week of July 13th. I actually was thinking of your trip reports, and wondering when you would post your HNL trip! :-)
We rent our suite out and always recommend "House without a Key" to couples. It's such a lovely setting.

Have you ever gone to The Kahala? I walked there from Waikiki because its just so beautiful! Stay there next time so I can enjoy it through you!
I used to live on Oahu a few years back and Hoku's at the Kahala is one of my favorite restaurants around. I went back in Nov to visit friends and I took them there. For some reason, I thought the food was better in years past. Still good though.

I can't believe you walked all the way from Waikiki to there. That is quite a hike though it does have some pretty views as you walk along the route.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
As always a great and detailed report. The UA catering actually looks somewhat similar to what AAs was prior to its dismantling. If only UA were a little more convenient from Florida I would try to fly them a bit more, but with their hub choices it doesn't make a lot of sense most of the time.

Originally Posted by KenS
Not to hijack SFO777's post (Ok, I guess I just did) This picture has white spots out the window. Those are not due to the camera, not on the window, but in or above the water below. Can someone please tell me what that is? I noticed this on my recent flight into Honolulu but haven't been able to find out what the heck it is.

Now back to your regularly scheduled, award worthy, trip report!
As others have stated, just your average ocean waves/whitecaps. These can be seen anytime your flying over water, and are generally more pronounced on windier days.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I used to live on Oahu a few years back and Hoku's at the Kahala is one of my favorite restaurants around. I went back in Nov to visit friends and I took them there. For some reason, I thought the food was better in years past. Still good though.

I can't believe you walked all the way from Waikiki to there. That is quite a hike though it does have some pretty views as you walk along the route.
I usually just go in for a drink on the beach, haven't tried the restaurant yet.

Yup - walked all the way there, and back. The views are amazing! I love a good long walk, and where better to do them than in Hawaii? I end up going so slow because I'm always stopping to take in the amazing views.

(Sorry for the hijack OP! )
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:36 pm

Your snide comments always get me laughing! "Gourmet cheese" = vegetable oil, artificial colours and salt, I reckon.

Thanks for another brilliant report.

As for the man taking his own picture - nothing says "vanity' like a selfie stick! Those things look absolutely grotesque.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by apodo77
Hope you enjoyed time with the family. That is a lot of white tile in the bathroom and an exceptionally embarrassing meal on AA.
Thank you apodo77.

Originally Posted by pafrican
My wife and I went to House Without a Key on our honeymoon six years ago. Definitely one of the best meals of that week. Good memories, sans the hit on the wallet from one of the jewelry shops in the hotel.
Fun report for a stroll down memory lane SFO, thanks!
Thanks very much pafrican. Fortunately, I escaped the jewelry shop without damage.

Thanks so much WikiHNL. We have not yet stayed at the Kahala. The location was the primary reason we passed this trip. You walked all that way?? Tell me you didn't do that walk in the summertime?

Originally Posted by HawaiiTrvlr
I used to live on Oahu a few years back and Hoku's at the Kahala is one of my favorite restaurants around. I went back in Nov to visit friends and I took them there. For some reason, I thought the food was better in years past. Still good though. I can't believe you walked all the way from Waikiki to there. That is quite a hike though it does have some pretty views as you walk along the route.
Thank you HawaiiTravlr. Definitely have to visit The Kahala next time.

Originally Posted by cmd320
As always a great and detailed report. The UA catering actually looks somewhat similar to what AAs was prior to its dismantling. If only UA were a little more convenient from Florida I would try to fly them a bit more, but with their hub choices it doesn't make a lot of sense most of the time.
As others have stated, just your average ocean waves/whitecaps. These can be seen anytime your flying over water, and are generally more pronounced on windier days.
Thanks very much cmd320. Amazing that in one short year, UA has moved may ahead of AA in domestic catering.

I usually just go in for a drink on the beach, haven't tried the restaurant yet.
Yup - walked all the way there, and back. The views are amazing! I love a good long walk, and where better to do them than in Hawaii? I end up going so slow because I'm always stopping to take in the amazing views.
(Sorry for the hijack OP! )
No worries. Thanks WikiHNL.

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Your snide comments always get me laughing! "Gourmet cheese" = vegetable oil, artificial colours and salt, I reckon.
Thanks for another brilliant report. As for the man taking his own picture - nothing says "vanity' like a selfie stick! Those things look absolutely grotesque.
Thank you Flyingfox. Hate those ridiculous selfie sticks.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Morning buffet breakfast at House Without a Key.

Back in the room, I finally found the thermostat. Sure, doesn't every hotel hide it in the closet??

And then back up to Mililani for the morning and early afternoon with the Hawaii ohana.
We then headed to Ala Moana and the start of our day with one of our favorite chef's - Alan Wong.
First stop was The Pineapple Room at Ala Moana.

The food here is still as amazing as ever but this place has started to look and feel dated. Service is spotty and not what it used to be. OK, 15 or so years ago when he opened the restaurant on the third floor of iconic Liberty House, it was pretty cool. But now just another Macy's outpost, this place needs a major makeover. We first thought to just eat at the bar but the stink from the bar sink was so bad that we bagged that idea and just waited for a table.

Once seated and once the food started coming, all was well and we thoroughly enjoyed it, dumpy Macy's notwithstanding.

We split the Asian Salad Asian Salad with Won Bok, Snow Peas,Carrots, Cilantro, Won Ton Pi, Roasted Peanuts, Soy Vinaigrette... which Mrs. SFO makes at home from her Alan Wong Cookbook.

For our mains, Mrs. SFO had the amazing Shrimp Pork Hash Katsu Burger with
Shredded Cabbage, Hoisin Mustard Vinaigrette, Potato roll. O-M-G fabulous.

While I went with the Kalua Pig BLT with Onion Bun, Half Caesar Salad, Bacon, Grilled Kabayaki Onions, Boursin Cheese. Out of this world.

Then off to hit the Apple Store and Tumi and some more of the once again under renovation Ala Moana Shopping Center.

And then back to Halekulani to rest up for round 2 and dinner.

Just before 8PM, we Uber'd over to King Street and the original Alan Wong's. Sat at the bar for a while where we met one of Alan's fellow Hawaiian restauranteurs who splits his time between Honolulu and... Birmingham, Alabama. I kid you not. Went to school and played football for Bear Bryant, apparently loved it and stayed at least part-time. Go figure.

As always, we both had the wonderful traditional tasting menu of classic signature Alan Wong dishes.

With a fabulous 2012 Raveneau Chablis.

To start, the “Soup and Sandwich”, Chilled Vine Ripened Tomato Soup, Grilled Hawai’i Island Goat Dairy Mozzarella Cheese, Foie Gras, Kalua Pig Sandwich.

Chopped Ahi Sashimi and Avocado Salsa Stack
Stacked on Crispy Won Ton, Spicy Aioli and Wasabi Soy

Keahole Lobster Lasagna with Crab Cioppino Sauce. Out of this world.

And one of our all time faves: Ginger Crusted Onaga, Long Tail Red Snapper with Miso Sesame Vinaigrette, Mushrooms and Corn

Twice Cooked Short Rib, Soy Braised and Grilled “Kalbi” Style with Chili Lemongrass Goat Cheese, Mushroom Peanut Salsa. Simply wow.

And to finish, one of my all time favorite desserts... Alan's Signature The Coconut, Haupia Sorbet in a Chocolate Shell, Tropical Fruits, Lilikoi Sauce.

Last edited by SFO777; Aug 2, 2015 at 5:58 am
Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, UC, Lifetime HH Diamond, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by GreatBritishBAECOff
Ummmmm... Waves?.....
"..........White Caps" 😁
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by SFO777

Thanks so much WikiHNL. We have not yet stayed at the Kahala. The location was the primary reason we passed this trip. You walked all that way?? Tell me you didn't do that walk in the summertime?
I did - just 2 weeks ago. I just got home on July 20th.

I'll be watching for your future Kahala trip report. ^
Old Aug 2, 2015, 1:05 am

Programs: Volaris, UA Nothing
The coconut dessert looks incredible! Will check out Alan Wong next time we're in HNL.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:47 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I wish I had the $$ to visit Alan Wongs. Maybe one of these days. I have a former coworker that lives in Hawaii Kai and she insists that is the best restaurant on Oahu. She goes there for each special occasion. I so envy you SFO777.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
As always great trip report SFO777. Last time I was on Oahu for more than just a connection back home was 15 years ago or so. Doesn't appear Waikiki has changed that much. The UA flight looked old school, but this time for the better! I actually prefer 2-5-2 on the 777 and its good to see UA using their old Y seats rather than those hideous slimlines. That and extra leg room in Y+ looks like a pretty decent daytime flight to paradise. First Class actually reminded me of Delta's old L1011s that used to do ATL-HNL runs. Food looked pretty decent too, even better than what Delta would likely be offering. Did they seriously use just one jet bridge at door one. I would have been incredibly annoyed by having 300 or so people pass through. I know Delta always usually door two and at HNL, both doors. One question for you. Did you use the wifi? If so, how was the speed?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

Great TR so far! How long is den-Hawaii? I've flown SFO/ogg during this decade.
I'm curious how the AA flight home will go and look forward to that report!
The Ual outbound catering looks better than the Ual SFO-ogg food from a few years ago. Sundaes and cookies?!?! Even virgin doesn't have that.

And slightly OT but... Is Roy's in SF as good as Roy's in Honolulu? Or is there a huge difference? I'm not trying to hijack from Alan Wong's but am curious...
Old Aug 4, 2015, 10:13 pm

Programs: UA
Looking at the Alan Wong pictures tells me that I should only nibble on my next 8 hr DEN-HNL flight and Uber over to Alan Wong's as soon as they open. Can they store your luggage at the Restaurant?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.