Wiki Posts
Search

Three Windows and an Orchid: Shanghai/Beijing on CX (F), High-Speed Rail, RC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2015, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2 Million Miler)
Originally Posted by agp423
What was the website you bought the train tickets from?
chinahighlights.com. If I recall it was $5 to have the tickets delivered to our hotel. Best $5 I spent on the trip (other than perhaps for a few "Gucci" ties...)
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mordy2000
After sundown on Saturday night, we ventured out to Pudong to check out the other Ritz Carlton and went to Flair -- the bar at the top of that hotel.

We got lucky and the air was cool and the night was alive. Looking out across Shanghai at night was an incredible sight. The drinks only enhanced the experience, although it was incredibly pricey. Worth every penny though

Excellent report, Mordy, and thanks for the props!

I'm sorry I couldn't join you at Flair that night. While I generally dislike: 1) the idea of paying $35 per drink, and 2) going to Pudong -- Flair is sufficiently amazing to justify both annoyances.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Thanks for the TR. :-)
Old Aug 2, 2015, 3:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, GHA Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Platinum IHG, Marco Polo Gold
Thank you for a wonderful TR Mordy. Its been an absolute pleasure in reading those trips of the 2 cities you visited. Really appreciate it
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:21 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by moondog
Excellent report, Mordy, and thanks for the props!

I'm sorry I couldn't join you at Flair that night. While I generally dislike: 1) the idea of paying $35 per drink, and 2) going to Pudong -- Flair is sufficiently amazing to justify both annoyances.
Why the second reason? I can kind of understand the first one
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Nice report, thanks for sharing.

I find it incredible that CX don't plate up the kosher food properly and serve it on a laid table
Old Aug 2, 2015, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by Genius1
Nice report, thanks for sharing.

I find it incredible that CX don't plate up the kosher food properly and serve it on a laid table
Genius - please see Mordy's post #14 for the reason for not doing more fancy plating.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Great TR!

Dini's used to have a proper stand-alone restaurant with a full meny but it was short-lived as the Chinese Gov. "borrowed" the shopping center it was located in for a new project
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Three Windows and an Orchid: Shanghai/Beijing on CX (F), High-Speed Rail, RC

Great TR - amazing that your carry-on held enough for a week trip! Did you have issues with laundry? Did you use AA miles for the CX F tickets?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: BA - Blue
Originally Posted by mordy2000
Most of the guides charge a "per person" fee which I don't totally get. I mean, it's the same time spent if you have 1, 2, or 5 people....

The guide wasn't "cheep" but the cost was well worth it for us considering I had very little time to research everything in advance, and we wanted to do a lot in a short amount of time. We paid about US $500 for the two days for two people. That cost included all entrance fees to all the attractions, the guide, the driver, and a comfortable air-conditioned car. So about $125 per person for each day.
Thanks for the clarification. I think the reasoning is "people who book guides have lots of money, how do we have a 'reasonable' headline price, whilst actually making a lot more money, because many people don't travel alone".

Given that the car rental and entrance fees might have amounted to $150/ day (maximum), that's "only" a $200 premium over booking a car and driver I guess.

I honestly think booking a driver is better value, but can argue the toss, especially since discretionary income/ expenditure is also an issue.

tb
Old Aug 3, 2015, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP (2 Million Miler)
Originally Posted by gaobest
Great TR - amazing that your carry-on held enough for a week trip! Did you have issues with laundry? Did you use AA miles for the CX F tickets?
In general, I do everything I can to avoid checking any kind of baggage. If it doesn't fit in my carry-on, we either don't need it or can buy it when we get there... A week is totally doable if you know what to pack and you pack right. Also, many hotels in China offer free or cheap laundry services.

We used AA miles for the CX F tickets. Can't get more of a bargain than that for 67.5k miles... the challenge is getting them... be persistent.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: AA
Mordy, thanks for taking the time to explain the electricity thing to me

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.