Reload this Page >

Paris (CDG) to Réunion (RUN), Air Austra, Réunion trip report, April 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Great report.

We cancelled a Mauritius/Reunion trip in early 2012 due to a serious illness. If we had gone, we would have been disappointed because we planned to spend most of the time on Mauritius and not on Reunion. It was painful as it was 2 rare Delta low awards in business class that we had to cancel.

Some of us love challenging drives and have done some great ones in Ecuador, Chile and here in the Pacific Northwest/Western Canada. I second your recommendation that one better be very skilled with using a stick shift. Automatics just do not cut it on the roads you described.

Very comprehensive report. Love the food and scenery pictures.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:40 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by kaszeta
They do, but like many destinations I've been, there's a substantial premium.

I'd actually be worried with a low-powered automatic, a lot of those tight corners required a lot of down-shifting, and many automatics I've driven on the economy end of the spectrum would probably get pretty close to stalling on the tight, steep curves (unless you can put them in "Fake manual" mode)
Yeah and with the amount of downshift/upshift you have to do on those roads... my clutch foot got pretty tired.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 10:41 am

What an INCREDIBLE trip report. Absolutely breathtaking.

This has rapidly vaulted towards the top of my "To Go To" list - perhaps even in the next couple of months.

Being a big food person, as well as an avid hiker, this seems like a magnificent experience. And, perhaps, one done in conjunction with any combination of Madagascar/Mauritius/Seychelles and Southern/Eastern Africa.

Thank you for the beautiful words and photos!
Old Jul 30, 2015, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PropWasher
After reading this excellent report yesterday, what a surprise I woke up to this morning.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...es-flight.html

Six degrees and all that.
Some coworker of mine took the announcement for the lunchtime slide show I'm doing in two weeks, and modified it:

Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA PP, DL Plat
I'm inspired! Thanks for the report :-)
Old Jul 31, 2015, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Now that you've completed it, thanks again for the fantastic TR! And it was really great that you capped it with advice for folks who might visit the island.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

And the Piton de la Fournaise has erupted again. I miss all the fun.

Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
What an amazing TR. As a Brit living in France I have heard a lot about Reunion and know that it is a popular place to go on holiday, but I never knew what was there exactly. It interesting because it is one of the few places that you can (or used to be able to) get a direct (with a stop) long haul flight to from my local airport (the most famous bit of aircraft wing has now arrived here too).
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Glad everyone has enjoyed the TR. It's almost a reluctant one at times, since I rather liked that the island was not crowded, and that being an American was truly a novelty to people. (As one hiker by Piton des Neiges said when we told him we were American... "Les États Unis? Ooh La La. Êtes-vous perdu? Marvelous que vous avez trouvé notre petite île!" Translates? "United States? Wow. Are you lost? Marvelous that you found our little island."
Old Aug 2, 2015, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

Great TR! Thanks so much!
Now Reunion is in the press because of the recently discovered debris from the tragic Malaysian Air flight. Your TR definitely coincided with the recent articles.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 12:27 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Awesome

Great TR

awesome to read about a different location.

Air Austral used to visit SYD, now its PER.

Always enjoyed seeing their 747 at SYD
Old Aug 3, 2015, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Great TR

awesome to read about a different location.

Air Austral used to visit SYD, now its PER.

Always enjoyed seeing their 747 at SYD
I don't think they have a 747 any more.

They do have four 777s now (giving them a very bimodal fleet that's almost entirely 777s or ATR 72s).

I rather liked them as an airline. Friendly, reasonably affordable (a lot cheaper than Air France was for essentially the same route), and decent food.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Reunion has been on my bucket list for a long time, it is not easy to find an award tickets to get there.

Thank you for sharing those wonderful pictures and report.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by karung99
Reunion has been on my bucket list for a long time, it is not easy to find an award tickets to get there.
One of the reasons I flew Air Austral is that I was having trouble getting an award ticket there from Air France. For direct purchase, Air Austral was more convenient and cheaper. Realistically, for an 11 hour flight, the cost wasn't too bad. $700/pp, including all the taxes.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
What an excellent trip report. Thanks very much for sharing! I was on Reunion many years ago, and French was/is pretty much the only way to communicate, but the thick accent does make for some very interesting ("what did he just say?") conversations!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.