Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Last trip report of High School (27) United First Class to a Night in Portland, Maine

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Last trip report of High School (27) United First Class to a Night in Portland, Maine

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Nice report -- the meal services on UA seem lacking though. The breakfast sandwich on FLL-IAH and no meal on EWR-TPA are rather embarrassing presentation for United.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
I actually don't think they serve either dish anymore after the catering improvements, maybe someone can correct me on that one.

Thanks for your comment!

-LPDAL

Last edited by LPDAL; Jul 20, 2015 at 5:51 pm
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LPDAL
Looks like I can cross Virgin America First Class on FLL-JFK-FLL for $288 one way, so a roundtrip would be a few hairs shy of $600.

As for Sun Country first class, they do not serve FLL. NRST is MIA, MCO, and TPA, which all have service to MSP.

-LPDAL

Sorry! You should try Amtrak MIA-Stanford then fly from MCO!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:59 pm

Programs: A3 Silver
Hey MKJR,

No, it is not your connection. With the images on this report, they are linked in full-size, non compressed ping (.PNG) image files. Since this has caused bandwidth problems, I'm going to link my images, where possible, in compressed jpeg (.JPG) file format at either 640x480 or 800 by 600.

For this report, refreshing the page will sometimes load the rest of the images.

Sorry for that issue!

-LPDAL
Yeah, I was having a similar issue, but I thought it was due to my high resolution retina screen.

PS - Cool TR! Awesome to see you leave the airport and explore

Last edited by montezume; Jul 20, 2015 at 8:05 pm
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all responses!

-LPDAL
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
An enjoyable read LPDAL, thank you for taking the time to write such an incredibly detailed report and edit it all together.

The flights you took are pretty mundane domestic flights to the average trip report reader, but your writing made me interested to read about them!

The attention to detail you put into the report, such as writing about the history of airports and airlines and showing the taxi route, departure/arrival routes etc. is really quite staggering.

I generally prefer to read trip reports focused on the ground and onboard products, as well as hotel reviews (reflected in what I choose to include in my own trip reports too), but I will make an exception for your reports given the passion you show for aviation that clearly comes through in your writing.

Do you have any plans to travel internationally in a premium cabin on a 'real' airline? I'm afraid North American carriers don't count I would be very interested to get your detailed appraisal of some of the best premium products out there, such as SQ/QR/CX/EY first and business classes.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
An enjoyable read LPDAL, thank you for taking the time to write such an incredibly detailed report and edit it all together.

The flights you took are pretty mundane domestic flights to the average trip report reader, but your writing made me interested to read about them!

The attention to detail you put into the report, such as writing about the history of airports and airlines and showing the taxi route, departure/arrival routes etc. is really quite staggering.

I generally prefer to read trip reports focused on the ground and onboard products, as well as hotel reviews (reflected in what I choose to include in my own trip reports too), but I will make an exception for your reports given the passion you show for aviation that clearly comes through in your writing.

Do you have any plans to travel internationally in a premium cabin on a 'real' airline? I'm afraid North American carriers don't count I would be very interested to get your detailed appraisal of some of the best premium products out there, such as SQ/QR/CX/EY first and business classes.
I get the "Have you traveled internationally" or "Do you have plans to travel internationally" a lot.

1) Have I traveled internationally -- oh yes. I've pretty much been to every continent except Asia, Australia, and Antarctica. Some of these have been on Abercrombie and Kent tours (such as the time I went to the Galapagos Islands / Ecuador, and South Africa), and some of them have been self - guided, such as Malmo and Copenhagen.

2) Do I plan to review international first and business class on foreign airlines -- Yes, I just want to finish reviewing all the domestic airline first class products first. All I have left are Sun Country Airlines, Virgin America, and JetBlue.

-LPDAL
Old Jul 25, 2015, 12:54 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Silver
Thanks for the report - great job! I thought I saw you back asking about AS lounges over on that forum, so I will look forward to your opinion on Alaska when you get around to getting that report up.

Thanks again.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AKDan
Thanks for the report - great job! I thought I saw you back asking about AS lounges over on that forum, so I will look forward to your opinion on Alaska when you get around to getting that report up.

Thanks again.
Eventually.

Pictures are here though; If you want to view them:

Alaska Airlines First Class + Board Room Airport Lounge @ PDX Portland International Aiport + Delta Sky Club PDX - LAX DSLR D5200 - An Album by LPDAL on Flickr

Alaska First Class 737-800 + Alaska Board Room + LAX Spotting PDX - LAX P500 - An Album by LPDAL on Flickr

-LPDAL
Old Jul 31, 2015, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

I received a PM asking what cameras I use to take the pictures in these reports. When I try to respond I get a constant error message, so I'll reply here:

-
Nikon DSLR D5200 Nikon DSLR D5200
-- Two lenses:

A) 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR NIKKOR Zoom Lens
B) 55-200mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR NIKKOR Zoom Lens

-
Nikon CoolPix P500 Nikon CoolPix P500

-Apple iPhone 5s

Hope this helps!

-LPDAL
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:19 pm

Thanks for showing how awful US domestic flying is. Not a joy.

That F snack basket looks like JetBlue coach.

Interesting that Portland is so friendly. I would like to go in the summer.

I liked the UA lounge at EWR.

I was flying in Y in the early AM but had a free pass.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Bretteee
That F snack basket looks like JetBlue coach.
Sadly, the reality is that this is an insult to JetBlue who's Y snack basket is actually considerably better than the AA/US snack basket IMO.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Thank you both for commenting! I've begun work on number 28 and it will be here soon enough. Teaser:

---

---

---

---

---

---

-LPDAL
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Thank you both for commenting! I've begun work on number 28 and it will be here soon enough. Teaser:

---

---

---

---

---

---

-LPDAL
Will be interesting to see reality
Old Aug 2, 2015, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Lots and lots of mountains.

Stay tuned!

-LPDAL

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.