Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific Business HKG-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Cathay Pacific Business HKG-SFO

I recently took a one-way journey from Hong Kong to San Francisco in the business class cabin on a Cathay Pacific 777 300ER. Below is a video trip report of my journey.

Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:27 pm

Very nice video work! I just booked a Cathay Pacific First JFK-HKG leg today for 67,500 AA miles + $5.60 fee.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:13 am

Sorry to be the cranky old man in the room, but this video nonsense is getting old real quick. If I wanted to watch videos, I'd go to Youtube. But this is Flyertalk, and it's looked the same way for 20 years. Give me a real trip report. Humbug. Now get off my lawn.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:10 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, B.A. Silver, Virgin Atlantic Gold, C.X. Diamond
Great video Donald! But as a point in general I agree with arlflyer this video thing is irritating and most definitely not one of the best changes FT have made in recent years. However that said it was a great video
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Sorry to be the cranky old man in the room, but this video nonsense is getting old real quick. If I wanted to watch videos, I'd go to Youtube. But this is Flyertalk, and it's looked the same way for 20 years. Give me a real trip report. Humbug. Now get off my lawn.
I'm with you, disappointing and I don't think it conforms to the rules of the trip report forum. Matthandy (TR moderator) will be along shortly to judge for himself have a look at some of SFO 777 trip reports and you'll see where we're coming from
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by louislitt
Great video Donald!...However that said it was a great video
I definitely want to agree with this too in light of my prior crankiness. The production is great! But if I wanted to see well-produced cinema I would go to a theater...

And as to what does or does not violate any rules, it has become increasingly unclear...post a video and plug your blog with no other content? Probably not OK. Post a video but add one still image below it, and a few sentences of text? Then it becomes OK. Something like that...very difficult to tell where the grey area ends.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by mike&co
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I'm with you, disappointing and I don't think it conforms to the rules of the trip report forum. Matthandy (TR moderator) will be along shortly to judge for himself have a look at some of SFO 777 trip reports and you'll see where we're coming from

The comments by arlflyer and mike&co get ^ ^ ^ .

The trip report itselft gets .

When I open a trip report and see nothing but a video link, I will never, ever click on a post made by that person again.

You can bet I'm skipping your "Emirates A380 First Class, DXB-BKK" report. I've flown EK first nearly a dozen times, so I don't need to look at your video to know what it's like. But I'll read anything and everything written by some of our terrific posters here - SFO777, Seat 2A, eightblack and Moomba to name just a few - since they know how to weave a story with words, pictures and/or a combination.

Please don't waste our time with something that does not meet FlyerTalk standards for trip reports.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:27 am

Nice video. I enjoyed watching it as it gives a good idea of the trip.

I enjoy videos.

What camera do you use?

However what was your impression of the trip?

Food etc?

Thanks for posting and taking the time to make the video.

Last edited by Bretteee; Jul 3, 2015 at 11:38 am
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:37 am

To each his own.

I enjoy videos.

You discourage people from posting.

Nobody forces you to look at the video.

I don't like posts with no pictures and pages and pages of comments.

So I just ignore.

Some people like it.

It is unnecessary to get nasty about it.

I agree with you that SFO777 writes superb reports. I love reading his reports.

But this is not a "competition."

Nor is this the "Academy Awards" for travel reports.

Nevertheless a comment about the experience would have been great. I agree on that.

Last edited by Bretteee; Jul 3, 2015 at 11:43 am
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Bretteee
It is unnecessary to get nasty about it.
Indeed and well put Bretteee.

It's not acceptable to simply post a link to a video (ad-free or not) or blog (again, ad-free or not) without accompanying text and/or photos. The exam question to answer is: Does the reader need to watch my video or click on my blog to get value from what I have posted?

If I can point out the rules here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...o-content.html

Specifically:

For those of you that post video reviews, please ensure that there is sufficient text to describe the video and the trip that you undertook. Your post should have enough content to standalone without requiring the user to click through to view your video.
Here are some examples of where this has been done well:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ess-class.html - BahrainLad

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...singapore.html - iluvcruising2

We are seeing more and more blog links and video reports and there is nothing wrong with that as long as posters follow the rules. If not then action will be taken. You can't please everyone and there are different opinions on this subject but as the rules are clear then there's no good reason not to follow them.

matthandy
Moderator: Trip Reports

Last edited by matthandy; Jul 3, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:42 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by KiloTangoOne
Very nice video work! I just booked a Cathay Pacific First JFK-HKG leg today for 67,500 AA miles + $5.60 fee.
And I booked a CX J HKG-SFO segment using 70,000 Avios and paid about $70+ fee. That hurts! Then again, that flight was available through BA website while it wasn't when I phoned AA.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by Bretteee

Nor is this the "Academy Awards" for travel reports.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
The OP has all of 3 posts on FT, 2 of which are video links for what are termed "trip reports."
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Very nice report. I find CX J to be a very over rated product. The hard product is excellent, however the food (ramkin) entrees and no choice of appetizers makes it a bit lacking. I also find the crew to not be nearly as friendly as other Asian airlines.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
The OP has all of 3 posts on FT, 2 of which are video links for what are termed "trip reports."
+1 These TR's are some assembly required.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.