Community
Wiki Posts
Search

British Airways First Class Experience | JFK-LHR-CDG

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Best bargain out there; although the taxes and carrier fees, IIRC, are about $2K? Still a great deal considering *A and SkyTeam are triple that. Good choice on the Kir Royale ^
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I was looking at flights to Paris from Bos for another trip in August and the Biz Saver award on aa.com was 100K miles and $1,110. F Saver was 125K miles plus the same in fees. Direct to LHR, without the CDG flight, was even higher fees. Delta was astronomically higher using miles, but only about $260 in fees.
I have not looked at avios usage on any flights to LHR on BA or AA. I have paid $1200 PP with avios in J for two long hauls.
That is why I was taken aback by your first post that Star A is triple of $2000 in fees and taxes. I am sure when you throw in the "market value" of a mile or avio, it will come out greater than a cash price for the ticket ?

How does number of Avios vs. Delta miles compare ?
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:19 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Bretteee
The BA taxes are astronomical.
The vast majority are BA profit fees, not government-mandated taxes.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
I admire your tenacity for spending so much time in BA lounges... I spent 8 hours once at the BA Galleries lounge on a layover to South Africa and I thought I was going to die of boredom haha. Great report!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, United Gold, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
I actually like the chocolate present. It seems like an easy way to smooth out what can sometimes be inconsistent service (not BA specific, just in general). If the recipient was not in a good mood before you hand them chocolate, then their mood will at least be improved once you present it - and so will your in flight experience. Thanks for sharing the trip report, video, and chocolate tip.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NashVegas37206
I actually like the chocolate present. It seems like an easy way to smooth out what can sometimes be inconsistent service (not BA specific, just in general). If the recipient was not in a good mood before you hand them chocolate, then their mood will at least be improved once you present it - and so will your in flight experience. Thanks for sharing the trip report, video, and chocolate tip.
I purchased five 14pc boxes of Godiva chocolate at the Duty Free shop before boarding. They were running a "Buy 4 Get 1 Free" sale. Even better, the prices turned out to be lower than anything I could find online. I gave the CSD a box and requested that the chocolate be shared with all the cabin crewmembers and pilots. Several of the cabin crew came by to say "thank you" later on and again while deplaning.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: BA Silver
Okay- maybe I should put this another way, having read these further responses. Why on earth should you essentially have to bribe FAs to treat you well and do their job!? And why should they accept said their bribe to treat one passenger better than others?! That's illegal in some industries...
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mentor of monty
Okay- maybe I should put this another way, having read these further responses. Why on earth should you essentially have to bribe FAs to treat you well and do their job!? And why should they accept said their bribe to treat one passenger better than others?! That's illegal in some industries...
Should You Tip Your Flight Attendant?

In a recent poll on Airfarewatchdog.com, more than a quarter of respondents — 27 percent — said they had tipped a flight attendant at some point during their travels, whether as a thank you for doing a good job or for going out of the way to make them more comfortable.

The median annual salary for a flight attendant was $37,740 in 2010, according to the latest figures from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, though an entry-level position might start at $16,000.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by KiloTangoOne
Tipping is a voluntary 'thank you' for good service (other than in the US, obviously different culturally there), no one ever tips before they receive the service from the person they are tipping....
Old Jul 4, 2015, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mentor of monty
Tipping is a voluntary 'thank you' for good service (other than in the US, obviously different culturally there), no one ever tips before they receive the service from the person they are tipping....
There's an interesting discussion of tipping before service here: Forget about tipping AFTER a service, start tipping BEFORE!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:35 pm

Nice trip report however as an airline pilot myself, having a student pilot put on uniform epaulets for a picture in the cockpit of a plane they don't fly would weird me out a little.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Great job! Only thing I'd say about the video TR is that you might consider lengthening slightly the time between the still photo cuts, and/or perhaps using fewer photos. Each one was up so briefly they were hard to enjoy.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Wow! Two whole days in BA lounges... I'd either be dead drunk at the end of each day or dead by suicide if they ran out of drink! Well done.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Thanks for the report!

Must admit not a great fan of the video - far too quick and hard to watch I'm afraid. Not speeding everything up, and holding the camera steadier and panning more slowly would be more watchable.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the TR KiloTangoOne ^ Hope you had a great trip.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
Thanks for the report!

Must admit not a great fan of the video - far too quick and hard to watch I'm afraid. Not speeding everything up, and holding the camera steadier and panning more slowly would be more watchable.
You can also watch YouTube videos at 0.5 and 0.25x speed, just adjust your settings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.