Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

48 hours in NY: Diamond Shopping and lots of drinking

Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:01 am
Original Poster

***IPHONE 5S camera alert*** Not the quality you would except from such an esteemed reporter as myself.

It was an excellent trip. In fact, we both agreed it was one of the most entertaining and fun weekends we've ever had. Sometimes it just clicks and everything falls into place for that seamless non-stop, never forced yet action packed weekend with a buddy. Somethings where planned and booked in advance and the rest just happened spontaneously in a perfect way!

Preamble
Basically, we ended up flying to New York from Stockholm to purchase diamonds, just over a weekend. Some friends questioned our sanity, however when we showed them the math, cue lot's of "oooh, aaah, wow, I had no idea"...
Diamonds (and precious metals) are I would say criminally expensive in Sweden compared to most places, and especially New York's Diamond District, even without connections or an established relationship with the retailers on 47th Street. So when I overhead his lady talking to my wife about them looking at Diamonds and a setting in Stockholm I asked what type of stone etc. Within a few seconds it was obvious to me that even with flights (coach) and hotels to NY and the District, the savings would be in the thousands of USD compared to buying retail in Stockholm. Quick research online proved my point so I sent a spreadsheet over to her man and within days he conceded and said "let's go to New York then".

We found a suitable weekend in mid April with dirt cheap flights on the BA website, allowing codeshare on the AA 777-300 but still earning the full points to BA Exec Club. Hotel we wanted the Andaz 5th Ave. as I had one last GP Diamond Suite Upgrade to burn, however there was no eligible suite availability. The Grand Hyatt around the corner was also a lot cheaper so for 2 nights barely spending any time in the room it was an easy choice.
Further, which of course was part of the plan, The Rangers had a home game in The Stanley Cup Play-offs that same Saturday. YES! Bucket list item check. I've been to quite a few Rangers games over the years but had not yet managed to see a play-off game.

Tickets bought via one of the second hand marketplaces. They cost a fortune, but it was worth it:

Additionally, we're not what you would define as primary friends. Meaning, it is my wife and his fiancee that are close friends so we tend to hang out as couples. None the less we've always enjoyed our company and tend to have fruitful discussions, debates and civilised arguing. He's a formidable opponent and a sharp lawyer (they talk a lot, and usually eloquently also).
Despite some differing views and opinions with the big one being decriminalizing drug use, we both very much agree that the current GOP candidates line-up is straight from the mad house.

This trip would be the first time we'd spend more than a few hours together without the ladies. Sure, we've sat in the sauna solving the worlds problems or raced down some slopes, but never a pro-longed period of time. To be exact Friday 6:30 am until Monday 2pm.

The trip:
BA ARN-LHR Friday morning Airbus 320
BA LHR-JFK Friday afternoon (op. by AA) Boeing 777-300
BA JFK-LHR Sunday evening Boeing 747-400
BA LHR-ARN Monday morning Airbus 319

Flight 1: ARN-LHR seat 11a Coach
We met at ARN T2 an hour before the flight. Quick visit to the 3rd party lounge which is a bit drab, but food has improved this year so we had a light breakfast and coffee before boarding our 2 hour hop to London.
I secured an exit for for us free of charge due to BA Gold/OWEmerald status. Both of us rested our eyes and skipped the sandwich, but had a coffee later. When we arrived to LHR T5 I could see through the windows that the queues for UK border control where stretching around big parts of T5A. I am guessing hours to get through. Luckily, we had a connection and from T3 which means a pleasant bus journey without queuing but great plane spotting.
T3 Flight connections was empty so already around 9am BST we arrived at the AA transfer desk for some formalities and an AA issued BP. Now the fun would begin. I had informed my friend that we had quite a few lounges to chose from at T3, and all of them serve decent Champagne (and other stuff). He's not a frequent traveler like us, but he liked the concept of "going to lots of different lounges for establishing by way of drinking which has the best champagne".
Quick walk through some T3 shops to the BA First (OWE) lounge to check if any Laurent Perrier Grand Siecle was available. It was not... some half decent wines out which of I sampled a few.

We settled for a glass of Tattinger and I tried the very average Eggs Benedict. Friend beginning to realise I wasn't lying. Day drinking begins now. We toasted and congratulated ourselves on our success and the imminent weekend of good times.

BA T3 F Lounge...

I told him that the Cathay F Lounge a floor up around the corner is a much more pleasant space, with excellent views of the tarmac. He obliged.
Checking into the CX F lounge could not be more pleasant. The agents are lovely, smiling and appear genuinely happy when you are happy.

We settled in the armchairs by the window. View is outstanding.

We decided it was time to raise another glass and congratulate ourselves on our continued success.

They tend to have good soups in the Cathay Lounges, and this one was no exception. We ordered a bowl each of the non-beef variety.

It went down really well with the Veuve.

An hour or so passed, and we both agreed this is an excellent way to start a trip to New York. In fact, we congratulated ourselves again. I then proceeded to try the beef variety of the noodle soup. Delicious.

The CX F lounge at LHR T3.

Flight would begin boarding soon, and as usual with American it was gate 45 something 2 miles away... quick visit to the restroom before a shot of Espresso to fire up a spark and get the bowels going. We both where in an excellent mood, looking forward to settling back on the plane despite not being seated in business or first.

It is an Espresso.

Not our machine, but same model and carrier.

Lot's of people at the gate, but quite civilised, even the lice! AA have boarding figured out. Not like BA or SK which is mayhem. Strictly by groups and non-eligible's are sent back with no mercy. Bravo AA.

The gate...

Flight 2: LHR-JFK seat 15A Main Cabin Extra
Now, I have to say MCE on AA is excellent value if you can select these seats free of charge, which I can as OWE. Lot's of space, superb IFE. Seat gets a bit hard after a few hours and service was absolutely atrocious. I mean we had the rudest dude ever. He appeared to hate his job and customers with a passion. Regardless of that, it was a decent flight. Considering this sector cost us around 1400USD or so...

15a MCE on the AA Flagship 777-300

15a view

An hour or two into the flight service began. Let the show begin! They rolled out a cart with caviar and... oh wait that was on LH.
Beer to drink as the wines on offer where undrinkable. We congratulated ourselves on our success, despite being in the predicament of not having any champagne!

Food was some Pasta dish. Edible, but tiny. Not a problem after the stuffing in the T3 lounges...

Next part shortly...

Last edited by Petrus; Mar 19, 2018 at 10:08 am
Old Jul 1, 2015, 4:55 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
Great beginning!!!

I like your attitude...remember, you can't drink all day unless you start in the morning.
KenTarmac and Parterre like this.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Great start to your report Petrus. Looking forward to this one. I use a lot of my iPhone 5s pics in my reports. In some cases, it works better than my Canon.

Even on it's own, just knew it had to be AA.

Originally Posted by Petrus
... service was absolutely atrocious. I mean we had the rudest dude ever. He appeared to hate his job and customers with a passion...
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:00 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Great start Petrus! This looks to be a fun TR. There's just one thing I don't quite understand: if you decide to put a selfie (and a big one at that) in your TR, why do you hide your eyes? I mean, if you really don't want to be recognised, then you should blur the whole face with the blur feature, not the black pen (or avoid selfies altogether). The big black lines just ruin the aesthetics of the photo IMO.

Originally Posted by Billiken
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning.
You have my vote for the quote of the month...

Last edited by JohnRain; Jul 1, 2015 at 8:16 am
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Love it Petrus! A quick question though, did you really pay 1400 dollars for your tickets? Sounds awfully expensive for coach, or did you just add an extra zero by mistake
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:34 am
Original Poster

Thanks all just checked in to my hotel new update shortly.
1400 is a typo! Should be 140.

JohnRain: noted. I prefer it that way however. Btw. it's not me in the photos, that's the companion.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Continued...

After some sleeping, movie watching and two more congratulatory toasts we approached JFK and Terminal 8. I dreaded the potential of immigration hell as T8 is much larger and has many flights from obscure places, compared to T7 which I usually arrive to courtesy of BA.

Thankfully, we parked bang on as close as you can get to immigration. Basically in front of the Flag Ship lounge in the main terminal building. Short walk to stairs and down to US border. Phew.... not so busy. Possibly 15-20 or so groups of singles or more to be processed ahead of us. However, it was painfully slow so we still needed 20 minutes to clear. Time was now just after 3.30PM EST. Just to add, we were lucky. A minute or two after our arrival into the CBP hall, mayhem ensued. It was like lemmings falling on top of each other, down the stairs from both sides. I felt sorry for those at the back... 3 hours minimum.
At this moment we felt sad that we did not posses a glass of something nice to congratulate ourselves on our fortunes and success. It would have to wait an hour or so, until Mid Town.

One clear, we had to wait for my companions bag to show up. He checked a bag as he would be shopping, copious amounts. His Rimowa arrived quickly, but it had been banged up and part of the handle had broken off... bugger.
To get AA to cover the cost, you have to report it before leaving the airport (makes sense). Thankfully AA luggage center was quiet, so the formalities where fairly quick and we did not have to extend our wait for libations to grim levels. He was given enough compensation to buy a new suitcase, and could keep the old one... now that is service recovery.

Finally cab to Grand Hyatt. Weather was fantastic. 20/72F. It had been freezing cold for a long time in New York.
Arrived Hyatt just before 5pm.
Check-in was brilliant. A lovely vixen named Michelle looked after us. Upon hearing that we would only be staying two nights, flying all the way from Switzerland (I said Sweden, and only mentioned the hockey) something happened with her look, and as my friend agreed to, she would not mind me asking what time she finishes work. But I am a married responsible dude.

Dinner was booked for 9:45 at Luger in Brooklyn. Always, every time, no exception when in New York. Before this we also managed a few pit stops.

- Drop of bags in hotel room (upgraded to Deluxe Queen Twin).
- Bryant Park for beer in the sun, hanging with all the city working folks, looking at women.

- back to hotel for shower and change of attire
- drop by and old friend from High School. She lives with her family on Chambers Street in Lower Manhattan. Great seeing them all, lovely kids, nice condo, good wine, excellent roof terrace. Things where splendid. We toasted and congratulated ourselves.

- 40 minutes later next stop over at Smyth Bar, where my companions friend and partner would meet us for a drink (they also visited New York this weekend, all the way from Sweden). More toasts. Vodka Martini please.

- another 40 lovely minutes passed and we had to hail a cab to head over to Brooklyn. I'll admit by now there where infrequent moments of tiredness making itself known. We had been up for some 21 hours.

- Yes. You make me so happy

Vodka Martini at the bar before being seated. Now, if you want to eat stake here remember; bring lots of cash. Do not eat too much of the bread and dip in the Luger sauce. And book a table more than a month out to have a shot a normal meal hours.

- Best steak around.

By now both sat and nodded at the table. Not for being drunk, but extremely sleepy. Finished the chocolates they give you for a last sugar kick, mustering enough energy to walk outside to a taxi. No taxi
Uber to the rescue.

Managed to take this photo before falling asleep...

20 minutes later driver woke us up. Get out of my car please...
Upon arriving in the room, the aforementioned Michelle had not stopped thinking about me, and we where greeted with this in the room:

A bucket full of beer, with a greeting card

Said greeting card. How adorable. She had printed out the Rangers Logo and glued it on a Hyatt card ^ Time to congratulate ourselves one more time before bed time.

XOXO indeed!

More later, thanks for reading so far.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by Petrus
Check-in was brilliant. A lovely vixen named Michelle looked after us. Upon hearing that we would only be staying two nights, flying all the way from Switzerland (I said Sweden, and only mentioned the hockey) something happened with her look, and as my friend agreed to, she would not mind me asking what time she finishes work.
This happens to me all the time as well (not the flirt with the check-in lady, the Sweden-Switzerland confusion), and that's on a good day. On a bad day I get to hear "and how is it down there in Swaziland?"
Keep the installments coming Petrus, very enjoyable to read.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 10:55 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Just terrific! Thoroughly enjoying this TR....
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:12 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
Terrific TR, I congratulate you. Skl! (Make mine double, please.)
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
"Michelle from the front desk" - result enjoying the report too Petrus
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:35 pm

Good stuff...your writing style adds to the anticipation. Anxiously awaiting the next segment (and more from Michelle).
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Glad to hear the report is appreciated. Thank you! It is difficult portraying emotions and feelings by way of text. Soon more.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Great start to your report Petrus - that steak looks amazing! The CX Flounge in T3 is brilliant. I always have noodles and Veuve
Old Jul 1, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Great TR ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.