Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Ukraine, and Lithuania with Ukraine International Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Ukraine, and Lithuania with Ukraine International Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:18 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Great post!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
We nearly crossed paths with you in Ukraine, leaving Moscow through Kiev on May 6. However, we spent a week there and really enjoyed it also. The incredible chocolate shop was a block from our hotel. We were very impressed with all the things to do there. High level hotels are ridiculously expensive but the street was cheap. I seem to remember that the Metro was about 20 cents. Great report. We also flew Ukrainian Air but only on short flights. Took Turkish Air rt from SFO to Kiev by way of Istanbul. I am curious what you paid in air. I found Kayak a great help in nailing flights with various local airlines, like Air Moldova (went there too).
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Cool report. I too got to Kiev and Vilnius a few years ago, both lovely cities. Haven't hit Kazakhstan or Kyrgyzstan yet - but now you make me want to go

Heading back to Kiev in a few weeks - good to see things are somewhat back to normal now.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Simply amazing. Closest I've been is Tbilisi, but that might as well be Paris given the remoteness of some of the places you've seen!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Great trip report enjoy reading it, we were at Liga and Vilnius last May and enjoyed it very much. Looking forward to go to Kiev and Central Asia in the. Future. ^
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, AS Gold
Originally Posted by Karen2
Took Turkish Air rt from SFO to Kiev by way of Istanbul. I am curious what you paid in air. I found Kayak a great help in nailing flights with various local airlines, like Air Moldova (went there too).
Paid $848 and credited just over 11,000 miles to Flying Blue. The Kiev stopover added an extra $100, though I have seen JFK-ALA round trips in the $600s.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, AS Gold
Originally Posted by sporadic
I'm just waiting for Kazakhstan to officially allow Singapore passports visa-free access. Then I can go visit the #landofborat #landofpotassium and wonder why everyone looks so different from Borat
Kazakhstan just announced a 2.5 year extension to their visa-free program for citizens of 19 countries:
http://www.astanatimes.com/2015/07/k...o-end-of-2017/

Countries include USA, UK, Australia, Singapore, France, Germany.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC
Really enjoyable trip report - thanks for sharing your story and photos. A great post.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by 9vska
Kazakhstan just announced a 2.5 year extension to their visa-free program for citizens of 19 countries:
http://www.astanatimes.com/2015/07/k...o-end-of-2017/

Countries include USA, UK, Australia, Singapore, France, Germany.
Cool. I'm off to Almaty next month.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: nomad, miles&more
hi there. great post and thank you for nice words about my homecountry and the region. we kazakhs like when foreigners smile and like it here

check out the promo from air astana, our flag carrier and an awfully under-praised airline

http://airastana.com/global/Plan/Stopover-Holidays

with visa requirements lifted, it is very cheap now to get here, especially given local currency depreciated by 35% just this month.

with all due respect, i wouldnt fly UIA. check out Lufthansa's (daily) and KLM's offers for more comfortable seats and transit (and probably security!); Turkish and Russian carriers are another option. BA will stop flying in mid October

On Kyrgyzstan: it may appear that the country has a lot more to offer. in reality though you just need to do a bit more research on Kaz before arriving (especially if you dont speak Russian). It is a vast country. If youre visiting Almaty, apart from Medeu natural ice rink and Shymbulak ski resort (a beautiful place in winter!), check out Charyn canyon, Turgen gorge. If youre able to visit Shymkent, check out Aksu Zhabagly national park in spring, visit local bazaar, drop by ancient town of Turkestan. If you have visa for Uzbekistan, Shymkent would be an ideal place to start your journey from. It's much more liberal and free in Kaz after all, so you wont have to worry about currency exchange, ATMs, hotels/serices/emergencies etc.
Farther to the west - Baikonur Cosmodrome and the dying Aral Sea. the administration of Kzyl Orda region have been trying hard to encourage tourists flow - they now announce space rocket launches in advance (dont expect 5 star hotels there though lol). just talk to your tour operator or reach out to US embassy in Kaz

lastly you dont have to visit astana, the capital. but Borovoe national park which is 100 km away and a 2hr ride on autobahn might be worth exploring.

welcome. PM me if you need any advice. also be aware, it's very cold in winter here (compared to Europe). lastly, dont ever mention Borat when you are here
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:37 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Thanks for the Trip Report and pictures
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
check out Astana next time. If you've been to Pyongyang, you will see some similarities in Astana and Ashgabat in Turkmenistan.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by erkek
hi there. great post and thank you for nice words about my homecountry and the region. we kazakhs like when foreigners smile and like it here

check out the promo from air astana, our flag carrier and an awfully under-praised airline

http://airastana.com/global/Plan/Stopover-Holidays

with visa requirements lifted, it is very cheap now to get here, especially given local currency depreciated by 35% just this month.

with all due respect, i wouldnt fly UIA. check out Lufthansa's (daily) and KLM's offers for more comfortable seats and transit (and probably security!); Turkish and Russian carriers are another option. BA will stop flying in mid October

On Kyrgyzstan: it may appear that the country has a lot more to offer. in reality though you just need to do a bit more research on Kaz before arriving (especially if you dont speak Russian). It is a vast country. If youre visiting Almaty, apart from Medeu natural ice rink and Shymbulak ski resort (a beautiful place in winter!), check out Charyn canyon, Turgen gorge. If youre able to visit Shymkent, check out Aksu Zhabagly national park in spring, visit local bazaar, drop by ancient town of Turkestan. If you have visa for Uzbekistan, Shymkent would be an ideal place to start your journey from. It's much more liberal and free in Kaz after all, so you wont have to worry about currency exchange, ATMs, hotels/serices/emergencies etc.
Farther to the west - Baikonur Cosmodrome and the dying Aral Sea. the administration of Kzyl Orda region have been trying hard to encourage tourists flow - they now announce space rocket launches in advance (dont expect 5 star hotels there though lol). just talk to your tour operator or reach out to US embassy in Kaz

lastly you dont have to visit astana, the capital. but Borovoe national park which is 100 km away and a 2hr ride on autobahn might be worth exploring.

welcome. PM me if you need any advice. also be aware, it's very cold in winter here (compared to Europe). lastly, dont ever mention Borat when you are here
I think for Americans to go to Baikonur, they usually have to do a charter package through Moscow and get a Russian visa, it's a big hassle. I tried to set it up for the launch in early Sept. I was under the impression that the Aral Sea near Aralsk is in good shape, since it's still being fed by a river. There's water at least. I was1 recently in Moynoq in Uzbekistan, you can really see how badly the Aral Sea was destroyed there. Sad stuff.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Good report. My only concern is that you did not focus much on the countries visited - a mistake I did a few times as well. Kazakhstan is much more than Almaty, just as Ukraine is much more than only Kyiv and Chernobyl.

It's great to see, though, younger travelers adventuring to off-the-beaten-path areas!
Old Sep 17, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: AA, DL, Hyatt, Hilton
Great trip report - can I ask how you were able to find the local tour guide for your trip to Almaty? Amazing experience!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.