Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Ukraine, and Lithuania with Ukraine International Airlines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Ukraine, and Lithuania with Ukraine International Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2015, 4:40 pm
Community Director Emerita

I am impressed by your agility at booking new travel when Almaty proves to be boring. I am surprised you were able to visit Chernobyl on one day's notice. We visited Kiev 3 years ago and loved it. At that time, it required 14 days advance notice (or thereabouts, might have been 10 days) to visit. The tourist company had to submit our passport information well in advance.

This certainly isn't the norm for where a college student, or anyone for that matter, heads in the summer. Well done for your sense of adventure.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:36 am

This is a very inspiring trip report. Good job, fellow Tartan!
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, AS Gold
Originally Posted by Bretteee
Did you pre arrange the guide etc? How did you find this?
I emailed a few travel agencies (Google ) but only one, arranged through Caravanistan, managed to put something together for me at 24 hours notice. All I initially got was the name of the company and an address, so all communication after the email introduction was done through WhatsApp.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I am surprised you were able to visit Chernobyl on one day's notice. We visited Kiev 3 years ago and loved it. At that time, it required 14 days advance notice (or thereabouts, might have been 10 days) to visit. The tourist company had to submit our passport information well in advance.
Chernobyl was actually the only part of the trip that I pre-booked in advance. SoloEast offers student discounts if emailed in advance, but another traveler from the same hostel who went on the same tour as me booked her spot one day in advance.

It's definitely possible to do it without 10 days prior notice (despite what the tour companies say), but that may also have to do with the relatively small number of tourists going to Ukraine now.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:59 am

I'm just waiting for Kazakhstan to officially allow Singapore passports visa-free access. Then I can go visit the #landofborat #landofpotassium and wonder why everyone looks so different from Borat
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by sporadic
I'm just waiting for Kazakhstan to officially allow Singapore passports visa-free access. Then I can go visit the #landofborat #landofpotassium and wonder why everyone looks so different from Borat
It's supposed to be announced on June 30th:

Kazakhstan introduces visa-free regime up to 30 days for citizens of member countries of the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD), the United Arab Emirates, Singapore and Malaysia, it should be from the decree of President of Kazakhstan, regulating the questions of creation of an international financial center " Astana ".
http://newskaz.ru/economy/20150520/8044189.html
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: most of them
What a great adventure! I hope to get to that part of the world some time. But I need a little more comfort. :-)
Old Jun 23, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: BA SILVER!! (After 7 years of trying...)
Wonderful report, thanks very much.

Your trip out with the locals in Kyrgyzstan makes me wish I was far more adventurous, but like the poster above me, I enjoy my nice comfy beds a bit too much...
Old Jun 23, 2015, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice adventure, thanks for posting it

Personally it has not inspired me to try PS though
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: Various
Thanks for the report. I have been to some of these places myself: Chernobyl, Bishkek, Karakol.

Some people close to me were very skeptical before I went but afterwards I feel the trip was very rewarding.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:47 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
You're right. That was an awesome trip.

Just when you think you've seen it all around here, you can get some pretty interesting experiences to read about. ^
Old Jun 25, 2015, 12:00 am

Thanks for your report
Highly considering checking some of the places out
Old Jun 25, 2015, 11:34 am

Very nice TR.

Did you ever consider if the geiger counters where actually working? Just wondering...

Love the out of the ordinary reports.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Great TR. Nice to see Vilnius and Trakai getting some love on FT, I was there years ago and want to go back. Thanks for sharing ^
Old Jun 26, 2015, 3:50 am

Programs: *G, used to be with TK but left due to their corruption and political ties
Seems like a great trip, thanks for the report! Though I was missing some more interior airplane shots :-)
Old Jul 2, 2015, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, AS Gold
Originally Posted by farbster
Very nice TR.

Did you ever consider if the geiger counters where actually working? Just wondering...
Haha, they were definitely clicking and having a dozen of them in the group go off at the same time was far more reassuring than not knowing what our next step may bring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.