Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Another BA trip in Club Europe......to Lisbon!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another BA trip in Club Europe......to Lisbon!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH Sen, MUCCI, Junior Jet Club.
Nice pics, brings back memories of living in Estoril/Cascais when I was a kid. Nowhere else has such lovely deep blue sky!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Was in Estoril a few weeks ago - not as warm as at the moment
Old Jun 24, 2015, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Nice pics, brings back memories of living in Estoril/Cascais when I was a kid. Nowhere else has such lovely deep blue sky!
The sky was wonderful! Not a cloud to be seen!

Originally Posted by offerendum
Was in Estoril a few weeks ago - not as warm as at the moment
It was very hot when I was there. I came out a shade of pink (which thankfully turned into a nice tan.....)!
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

The Big Day

The wedding wasn't until 4pm. The thinking behind that was that it would perhaps be cooler in the late afternoon than it would be at 12ish. This didn't turn out to be the case. In the late morning / early afternoon, the temperature was 28 / 29 degrees. By 3pm (when I was donning the kilt), it was 32 degrees!

After another tasty breakfast, we got the tram / ferry combo and arrived across the river. We decided that we would take a trip down to Belém. The train took 10 minutes to get there and we walked along the seafront enjoying the sun. The first thing we came to is the very impressive Padrão dos Descobrimentos.

We then meandered along to the Torre de Belém.

We paid to go up the Tower which was great fun with some good views over the river.

We left the Tower and walked through the gardens opposite and saw some cuties....

Time was rushing on but there was one further place we wanted to stop off at before getting the train back to the ferry terminal.

The pastéis was amazing. Nice flaky pastry and lovely custard filling. It went down great on the ferry.

Back at the hotel, it was time to get into the kilt (which takes a long time........I always seem to forget that part!). Another friend had arrived at the hotel earlier in the afternoon so when we were all ready, we had a drink in the bar. I got some funny looks when I came down to the reception and bar area in the hotel dressed in the kilt. Most people knew what it was though and a few asked the usual question that all kilt wearers always get asked!

A taxi took us to the wedding venue and we were greeted with a lovely setting for the day.

The day was excellent. A nice ceremony followed by a great meal and free flowing wine. It was amazing watching the sun set over the river during the evening until it was finally pitch dark and the city of Lisbon sparkled from across the river.

Old Jun 25, 2015, 1:41 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Wow, yes what amazing deep blue sky. Oh you went to a wedding, where are the photos of the event!!!!!!!!! and not even a selfie of wonder man in his kilt. What a beautiful sunset though.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA5E
Wow, yes what amazing deep blue sky. Oh you went to a wedding, where are the photos of the event!!!!!!!!! and not even a selfie of wonder man in his kilt. What a beautiful sunset though.
I don't suspect that anyone would want to see my knobbly knees! Agreed that the sunset was beautiful!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

So there were a few sore heads the morning after the wedding. The three of us staying in the same hotel went back to my room and started the after party (which finished at *am). After breakfast, we decided that we would take a walk up the hill to see Cristo Rei - the statue which dominates the opposite side of the skyline of Lisbon from afar. The walk up the small side streets in the warm sun was very nice and we enjoyed looking at the small houses on the way up.

Walking up the hill, you start to appreciate just how big Cristo Rei actually is.

It is placed in a brilliant location - right beside the bridge and with some nice views across to the city. We paid the 6 euros and took the lift up to the top.

After having a look around the souvenir shop (all tat), we had a pit stop at the cafe at the bottom and had a drink (read: appease the hangovers). We then wandered back to the hotel where the two leaving later on grabbed their bags from the reception. We then made our way to Cais do Sodre and walked to the main square - Praça do Comércio. After admiring the great archway into the city and grabbing some pics, we went to a nearby restaurant for some much needed food.

I love the colours of the buildings here.

And of course, the view up to the castle high up through the windy streets was also nice.

These annoying tram lines spoil an otherwise nice picture!!

After a great lunch, the girls noticed that there was a market on just to the left of the Arco da Rua Augusta (archway) so they had a look around that and came across some interesting objects.....

The inside of the archway is beautiful.

This guy must have been BOILING! Stag do I presume........

Cue some more walking around the side streets and stopping off at shops (and maybe some bars.......)

The lift is a great way to take you from lower to upper levels in the city!

We wanted to find A Ginjinha - a small shop that is supposedly the best place to get a taste of Ginjinha - a Portuguese liquer made by infusing sour cherries in alcohol. It took us ages to find the place - it is well hidden. But eventually we did and we all got a taste. Wow - it was strong!

The two girls has flights to get in the evening so I left them and they headed to the airport. I took another wander to the west of the city with nothing particular in mind and happened across on a few nice bars where I stopped off. I worked my way back to the hotel and chilled out for the evening after having some more sushi
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

I had the next morning to myself so went into the city again and had a walk around some of the parts that I hadn't been round before.

I walked up to the Portuguese Parliament (Assembleia da República) which looks very impressive from the outside and even more so when the sun is shining down on it.

Guarded by two guys who must have been sweating buckets.....

Some interesting art work on a wall across from the Parliament.

And some more back streets....

And over to the impressive Basílica da Estrela.

And across into the Jardim de Estrela to chill out for a short while - my legs were telling me that I'd walked up way too many hills to not take a break!

I then headed back down into the city.

No......I didn't go in to see what the Dream Pills were

Hotel - with a very convenient Lidl next door! I headed back here to meet a friend who had flown over to stay the night and see some of Lisbon before we headed back in to the city for some more sightseeing. One good thing about all the walking I had been doing was that I didn't feel too guilty about not being in the gym!

Old Jun 29, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
Stu, you've done it again, got me green with envy at your fantastic report. I started my report last September when I was over on the west coast of the US/Canada but the photo thing got me frustrated. Off to Vegas for a wedding via DUB etc on Friday so will write one up and take pics as best I can and definitely try to post when I get back.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JamieABZ
Stu, you've done it again, got me green with envy at your fantastic report. I started my report last September when I was over on the west coast of the US/Canada but the photo thing got me frustrated. Off to Vegas for a wedding via DUB etc on Friday so will write one up and take pics as best I can and definitely try to post when I get back.
Ha - thanks JamieABZ! I'll finish this off either tonight or tomorrow! Hope you have a good trip to Vegas!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

My friend arrived safely and I took him into the city. We decided that we would do up to the Castle and, after getting lost about 10 times down some side streets, we finally made it up to the top and were rewarded with some fantastic views over the city.

We were exhausted from the walking up to the Castle and then a little bit further round so, after finding our way back down to the centre, we found the nearest restaurant, got stuck into the pints and had some food.

The rest of the evening was pretty quiet.

We got up the next morning and decided that we would visit the Aquarium. I always feel bad about visiting indoor places when the weather outside is glorious but Lisbon's Aquarium is supposedly the second largest in the world so that seemed a good enough reason to go. I was glad I did go along - had a great time. You are guided around by arrows so you are sure not to miss anything.

We got the metro along to the Aquarium and I enjoyed looking at the architecture of the Oriente station.

We came across some great sealife as you will see....although I think this first one is the ugliest fish I have ever seen!

What a great job!

Ugly looking crab.....

Cute water feature outside....

Time was ticking on. We needed some food which we grabbed from a sandwich shop in Oriente and sat in the sun eating it. My friend wanted to check out Belém but with not much time until I wanted to be at the airport, we had to be quick. Cue a mad dash through the metro and onto the train....

The fountain gave off some much needed water spray on the way past!

And with that, out morning / early afternoon of sightseeing was over. Another hop across the river on the ferry and we were on our way back to the hotel to pick up our suitcases. We had a drink in the bar and the wonderful hotel reception staff booked us a taxi which arrived bang on time.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:35 pm
Original Poster

BA503, LIS-LHR, G-EUYF

I arrived at the airport with about 90 minutes before departure. I left my friend (who was flying EZY.....) and made my way to the Blue lounge which is a bit of a mammoth walk from where you actually pop out at after security.

The lounge was basic but was pleasant enough. It was quiet when I was there which was nice. I helped myself to a glass of red wine and had a look at the food options...

The lady at check in advised about 35 minutes walking time was needed to get to the gate before departure but at T-45 the lady in lounge came looking for me and told me that they were doing the final boarding. Really? Of course not. After (slowly) rushing, there was still a queue at the gate when I arrived. We were punted onto a bus and took a sightseeing tour of Lisbon airport eventually arriving at the plane...

Two very nice ladies at the front today. I recognised one of them from before.

Hot rags handed out before departure. I wished they had handed out cold ones given that it was 30 degrees outside!

We were off before long and had to wait a while for some traffic to land before we could take off.

I was fine with the leg room!

Now, would service start with a drinks run before the meal? My guess was as good as anyone's......but it did! And refills! Nice almonds (with cashews discarded.......!)

And it was lovely reading Highlife magazine which featured an article about the food scene in Lisbon!

And some cloud watching....

Choices this evening of a cold chicken salad or a prawn curry. Curry, please!

This was brilliant. I was very impressed. Curry had the right amount of kick in it to please most people (I would have gone spicier but you can't do that for passengers on a plane!) and the bits of battered cauliflower were very tasty. Great dish.

Tasty biscuits to go with the cheese too!

Coffee with proactive offer of liqueurs. Who am I to refuse?

It was great fun racing into the sunset and watching the colours change before my eyes.

And after a few more refills, we were back in London. I enjoyed this flight. The crew were lovely and nothing was too much of a bother for them (which is just as it should be).

After collecting my bags (which were off quite quickly), I headed to the DoubleTree for the evening. It was OK - nothing special. I have had better service in (and probably prefer) the Holiday Inn / Crowne Plaza.

I spent the day in London next day not enjoying the drastic change in weather from Lisbon. I took a trip up Sky Garden and had lunch at AquaShard in the Shard. The views from Sky Garden were nice and it was great that you could take the lift up free of charge.

The Shard

Shrimps in champagne dressing to start....

Confit duck for main. What I didn't like was that one waiter cleared my starter and another waiter had my main right behind him. It felt like I was in a factory being processed from start to finish.

Toilet with a view....

I popped to to the bar upstairs and had a few whisky cocktails while admiring the view.

BA1318, LHT-ABZ, G-EUUN

I headed to the tube and was at Heathrow within 5 mins (because I nodded off!). Safely ensconced in the Flounge....

I had some chilli from the buffet which was fine and headed to the gate when the notification came through on my iPhone. I was one of the last few to board and got on to find someone in my seat. Her explanation - "well I didn't think anyone would be coming because this seat has been empty ages and I don't really want the middle seat". With me not being in the mood to ar*e around, I told the cabin crew member that I would go back to Row 4 which was completely free. I did feel a bit miffed though. Fine - move seats when the doors have closed and it's clear that everyone is on but not before! Anyway, the crew were thankful and gave me a few extra drinks as a token of their appreciation!

Hi Titan!

Another beautiful sunset at LHR.

We shot up into the air and the drinks service started soon after.

Hi Aberdeen. Bye BA (for a few weeks).

And that was the end to a great holiday to Lisbon. Wonderful wedding, wonderful city, wonderful weather!

Thanks for following and shout out with any questions / comments!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 3:48 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
What a great trip report stu1985, so much information and some great pictures. I'm going to Lisbon for New Year's, so thanks for putting this together.

Just a shame that you didn't do a selfie with the pengiuns!
Old Jun 30, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Excellent trip report!!!

Funny enough on my last 3 flights, someone has nicked my seat too. On the first occasion the woman didn't even apologise or acknowledge it. Same the 2nd time. Third time I lost it and went in to diva mood. But seriously and as you say, wait until the doors are closed.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold, QF NB
A fabulous trip report! Great photos which are making me
want to return to Lisbon again soon! I was there for 3 night in November
and had an absolutely amazing time - Clube da Esquina, a wee bar in Bairro Alto did amazing (aka strong) and cheap caipirinhas.

What were your overall thoughts of Aqua Shard? I've been there a couple of times (just for drinks) and found it a wee bit underwhelming, though I've been absolutely spoiled by the original Aqua which is still my equal favourite bar in the world. There is though a great view from the dunny at Aqua Shard!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.