Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Union Pearson Express: Toronto's New Airport Rail Link

Union Pearson Express: Toronto's New Airport Rail Link

Old Jul 18, 2015, 8:22 pm

Programs: Free Agent
this will be an option I use to get down town TO- price is nominal compared to the convenience and (assumption) reduced road rage (mine).
Old Jul 19, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, 50K Altitude, Nexus
I know everyone complains about price but the product is really good, I think it's just part of the problem is People here just love to complain bat everything.

The biggest issue is just the location so it will always serve a small sub set of the population, that is a genuine concern. I live downtown, maybe a 10 minute walk from union and work in North York. So if I am travelling from home to airport I'll take it from work I'm back onto cabs or leaving car at airport. I've taken it 3 times so far and it's fine.

Just for Toronto price comparison, going to the Toronto Islands is like 8 bucks now and that is just for leisure - I was there yesterday no shortage of people going, so paying extra for an expensive plane ticket shouldn't in theory be a huge issue for most, the Go train to Mississauga round trip is 14 bucks now RT, uber to the airport from my place is 40-50, cabs are 65-80 (I think they make it up). Parking at the airport is about 15-20 bucks a day if you want your car covered less if you don't mind it outside plus gas of coarse.

I know someone mentioned the 2/person fee being paid to the airport, well we did privatize airports so no Matter what link was built airport was going to be paid.

I think prices may change to help increase ridership (it's been 50% on average for me) so if you can drop prices 10-15% and get 20% more People it makes sense.

I just wish people in this city stopped complaining about everything.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: most of them
I've always taken the Pacific Western bus to get downtown. Roundtrip cost on that is about $35 IIRC. But I usually stay at the (former) Delta Chelsea or elsewhere nearby so that always worked well for me.

I could see taking this train if I was staying down by Union, or I suppose transfer to TTC is easy enough.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by Swarez
I know everyone complains about price but the product is really good, I think it's just part of the problem is People here just love to complain bat everything.

The biggest issue is just the location so it will always serve a small sub set of the population, that is a genuine concern. I live downtown, maybe a 10 minute walk from union and work in North York. So if I am travelling from home to airport I'll take it from work I'm back onto cabs or leaving car at airport. I've taken it 3 times so far and it's fine.

Just for Toronto price comparison, going to the Toronto Islands is like 8 bucks now and that is just for leisure - I was there yesterday no shortage of people going, so paying extra for an expensive plane ticket shouldn't in theory be a huge issue for most, the Go train to Mississauga round trip is 14 bucks now RT, uber to the airport from my place is 40-50, cabs are 65-80 (I think they make it up). Parking at the airport is about 15-20 bucks a day if you want your car covered less if you don't mind it outside plus gas of coarse.

I know someone mentioned the 2/person fee being paid to the airport, well we did privatize airports so no Matter what link was built airport was going to be paid.

I think prices may change to help increase ridership (it's been 50% on average for me) so if you can drop prices 10-15% and get 20% more People it makes sense.

I just wish people in this city stopped complaining about everything.
+1
People like to complain in this city about a lack of progress, but many are the NIMBY crowd. "OMG CHANGE!"

IMO, if $25 (and it is less if you pre-purchase and have a presto card) is going to make or break your trip, you probably shouldn't be travelling. Sounds harsh but it's true.

Having said that, I don't think this is really a good price for a family and borderline at best for a couple but for solo travellers or if you have an early morning flight, it's a great option if you're in the west end or near Union.

That's really the only time I'd use it unless if I were running late, which beats taking a cab. Can't see myself taking it home or when returning from a flight though. I'd prob get off near Landsdowne and do car2go the rest of the way.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:13 am

Is it really progress that a diesel train in this modern era is used for a "new" line that prices out average commuters yet used public funds for construction?

I think questions about this service's viability are indeed valid. This isn't London. Heathrow Express is supported by plenty of business travelers who can claim the bill. Toronto does not have the same volume of business traffic that can sustain a frequent premium train service to the airport. Then you price out the families who can drive or take a taxi that costs less net. So who else do you have left? The yuppies who prefer to fly out of Billy Bishop, or the backpackers and commuters that can't afford it?

They should have included a commuter service so at least to do some public good but would take longer to get to the airport to justify the savings. They spent so much money on the infrastructure already - they should make the best use of it.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by hkskyline
Is it really progress that a diesel train in this modern era is used for a "new" line that prices out average commuters yet used public funds for construction?
hard to have an electric train if the tracks are not electrified...

https://www.upexpress.com/AboutUP/UpFaqs

the train can be converted.

http://www.gotransit.com/electrifica...n/default.aspx yes, rome was not built in a day.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:02 am

I think questions about this service's viability are indeed valid. This isn't London. Heathrow Express is supported by plenty of business travelers who can claim the bill. Toronto does not have the same volume of business traffic that can sustain a frequent premium train service to the airport. Then you price out the families who can drive or take a taxi that costs less net. So who else do you have left? The yuppies who prefer to fly out of Billy Bishop, or the backpackers and commuters that can't afford it?

They should have included a commuter service so at least to do some public good but would take longer to get to the airport to justify the savings. They spent so much money on the infrastructure already - they should make the best use of it.
It isn't built near Wher families live, why would it target them? It's built at the foot of Bay Street where finance, law, accounting, engineering and now tech and medical or booming.

I don't know what People expected this to be, it connects the downtown core to the airport - both areas are people of higher income and tilted towards business. To build a km of subway costs 500 million, that's what this whole project cost.

It's never going to be perfect or fit all people but nothing is, I suspect prices may change or we will see some type of variable pricing. People pay 300/month for go train passes now, parking at my office building is 400/month, people pay 40 for parking for leaf games and concerts. If it actually makes it easier for business to stay downtown, attract more conferences and take some congestion off the road it's fine.

I think people forget the buses from the airport to the hotels were over 20 bucks and they took the highway a while. This is a similar price point for a way better service.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: Non-Rev Lifetime
Originally Posted by m.y
In practice, tour groups would be taking chartered tour busses to the airport rather than public transit of any kind.
Ever heard of inter-terminal transit?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 8:17 pm

Interesting...
just checked my history with Presto lookup and discovered I was only charged $19 for my UPX ride from Union to Bramalea Go station via connecting to the hourly (T1 ground level) York Mills-Brampton #34 Bus.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:16 pm

deleted
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by Wallace99
It isn't built near Wher families live, why would it target them? It's built at the foot of Bay Street where finance, law, accounting, engineering and now tech and medical or booming.

I don't know what People expected this to be, it connects the downtown core to the airport - both areas are people of higher income and tilted towards business. To build a km of subway costs 500 million, that's what this whole project cost.

It's never going to be perfect or fit all people but nothing is, I suspect prices may change or we will see some type of variable pricing. People pay 300/month for go train passes now, parking at my office building is 400/month, people pay 40 for parking for leaf games and concerts. If it actually makes it easier for business to stay downtown, attract more conferences and take some congestion off the road it's fine.

I think people forget the buses from the airport to the hotels were over 20 bucks and they took the highway a while. This is a similar price point for a way better service.
Between Bay Street and Pearson is built-up and urban, not barren countryside. The train line passes through many neighbourhoods, such that GO also runs its trains through most of the same corridor, albeit at pitiful frequencies.

The real congestion beater would be to run a frequent commuter service instead of a premium line that prices out the average working family.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: FT

The real congestion beater would be to run a frequent commuter service instead of a premium line that prices out the average working family.
you must subscribe to the star since this sounds like the same broken record they keep spewing. boy do people in Toronto complain a lot. i have only lived here for 15 years but it's as bad as people say it is. complain complain complain and me me me is what this city is all about.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by PropWasher
Interesting...
just checked my history with Presto lookup and discovered I was only charged $19 for my UPX ride from Union to Bramalea Go station via connecting to the hourly (T1 ground level) York Mills-Brampton #34 Bus.
The PRESTO fare is $19 for two stops (Union-Pearson). Which, incidentally, even accounting for the cost of a new card, is cheaper than buying a ticket
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by JamilD
The PRESTO fare is $19 for two stops (Union-Pearson). Which, incidentally, even accounting for the cost of a new card, is cheaper than buying a ticket
I think Pearson (I prefer "Malton International") is in the same fare zone as Brampton, so $5.30 bus fare and GTAA parking surcharge subtracted once I tapped out at Bramalea?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold
I used UP express to/from YYZ last week while in Toronto for the PanAm games.

I thought the price was a little steep - but not exorbitant, especially when considering the price of a cab for the same trip.

I arrived in Toronto at 7:30am on a Wednesday and needed to deplane; clear customs/immigration and be in downtown Toronto at 8:30. Thanks to no lines at customs and the UP express, I made it to my location with 15 minutes to spare. Worth its price there for sure.

I used it on the way back as well on a Saturday morning even though I wasn't in a hurry due to the convenience factor.

As I believe others mentioned, the seat was comfortable, there was room for my luggage, and I liked having an outlet at every seat + wifi.

If I returned to Toronto in the future, I'm not sure I'd use it unless I were in a hurry again to get downtown, but it certainly seemed like a good value.

I'd also echo whoever said that it was a little hard to find. I arrived at T1 on Air Canada, and followed the signs that said "train to city" assuming that was the UP Express - and it was, but I didn't understand why the signs also couldn't say "UP Express" somewhere. I had bought my ticket online ahead of time and knew I was looking for the UP Express, yet throughout the airport, all the signs had the generic "trains to city" label, which seemed very odd.

But all in all, a good value, especially if you're in a hurry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.