Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Private Barge Cruise in the South of France via Lufthansa First Class

Private Barge Cruise in the South of France via Lufthansa First Class

Old Jul 7, 2015, 5:05 am

Enjoyable report as always, thanks for posting.

The hats return, looking fab as always. Did Mrs SFO purchase any? I saw some great looking ones in one of your shop photos.

:-: for the hat rescue
Old Jul 9, 2015, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
SPO777 thanks again for an enjoyable read, it seems like you have a habit of an extra night in Europe, ever thought of just planning it in advance !!
The LH food was a horror show but still the way they recover from IROPS is worth the odd glitch ! can you imagine if it was BA ? probably a seat on the next Air Norweigen !!
Thanks BRITINJAPAN3. LOL on the BA IROPS thought. I'd rather not ttyr that one again.

Originally Posted by ellielovesem
Enjoyable report as always, thanks for posting.
The hats return, looking fab as always. Did Mrs SFO purchase any? I saw some great looking ones in one of your shop photos.
:-: for the hat rescue
Thank you ellielovesem. Not more hat purchases this trip. After the rescue mission, she didn't even think about looking at more hats.
But it's always amusing to see how she carries her hats. Mrs. SFO is almost always "put together" yet, since we only carry on, totes her hat around in plastic King Soopers grocery store bag.

And... For more pics and an HD version of the report, please visit SFO777.com

Last edited by SFO777; Jul 9, 2015 at 6:28 am
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Great report as always, SFO777!

Your private barge cruise looked great - very relaxing for sure.

What a shame about the return F sector - I think that's the most negative experience I've read about for LH F, although the product is still on my to-fly list.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:55 am

Its always wonderful to read your trip reviews. Rich in details and photos. I read this TR on your website last week and I chuckled a few times. I was waiting to see when you were going to post it here.

I was somewhat disappointed you didn't say Gate Lice more often you're previous TRs always mention gate lice, which always makes me laugh.

Back to more serious matters, LH certainly knows how to do F catering, the presentation is outstanding! It makes the presentation the other airlines' F meals look like premium economy.

And United serving Veuve Clicquot in the lounge?! did hell freeze over? thats the same champagne Emirates serves in their business lounges.

Its a shame Mrs SFO didn't want to fly to FRA to catch the newer service back home, because the MUC-ORD seat is really dated, is there a reason why they never got to renovating this plane?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: FB Plat & DL KM, Le Club Plat, GHA Plat, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DTS
Sorry to hear that your experience on the flight to LAX was poor. In LH's defense: Harald Wohlfahrt is one of the chefs with the biggest name recognition in Germany, due to him holding three Michelin stars for a very long time. People travel from all over for a dinner in his restaurant in a small town in the Black Forest.
I second DTS. I am eating there next week and really looking forward to it. That small town, a two hour car ride from FRA, is called Baiersbronn and has two 3* and one 2* Michelin star restaurants. Perhaps worth a visit for Mr & Mrs SFO777. Well, NYT recommends that

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/ma...anted=all&_r=0

A very recent (photo) review of Wohlfart's on the ground cooking:
http://www.sternefresser.de/index.ph...wohlfahrt-2015
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:19 pm

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Sensational TR ... as always.

Like your website ^

Last edited by amaroo; Jul 25, 2015 at 1:48 am
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA 1.6MM
Originally Posted by SFO777
After we finished, we headed out for Terminal 7 and United. With an on time departure, we arrived home in Denver 20 minutes early, or just before 9PM.
Amazing. 2 of 2 early UA flights.

Thanks for sharing the report. The trip looked amazing. ^
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Genius1
Great report as always, SFO777!
Your private barge cruise looked great - very relaxing for sure.
What a shame about the return F sector - I think that's the most negative experience I've read about for LH F, although the product is still on my to-fly list.
Thanks very much Genius1. I'm a huge LH fan but our MUC-LAX was not one of LH's best days. On a positive note, we just received our checks totaling 1,200 euros ($1375.00) from LH CS, standard EU 261 compensation for our missed connection and late arrival back home. I did have to ask for it as they were no doubt not going to voluntarily send it to us.

Originally Posted by airtraveladdict
Its always wonderful to read your trip reviews. Rich in details and photos. I read this TR on your website last week and I chuckled a few times. I was waiting to see when you were going to post it here.
I was somewhat disappointed you didn't say Gate Lice more often you're previous TRs always mention gate lice, which always makes me laugh.
Back to more serious matters, LH certainly knows how to do F catering, the presentation is outstanding! It makes the presentation the other airlines' F meals look like premium economy.
And United serving Veuve Clicquot in the lounge?! did hell freeze over? thats the same champagne Emirates serves in their business lounges.
Its a shame Mrs SFO didn't want to fly to FRA to catch the newer service back home, because the MUC-ORD seat is really dated, is there a reason why they never got to renovating this plane?
Thank you airtraveladdict and for your comments. I will try to add more gate lice references in my next report.

Originally Posted by ajs123
I second DTS. I am eating there next week and really looking forward to it. That small town, a two hour car ride from FRA, is called Baiersbronn and has two 3* and one 2* Michelin star restaurants. Perhaps worth a visit for Mr & Mrs SFO777. Well, NYT recommends that
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/ma...anted=all&_r=0
A very recent (photo) review of Wohlfart's on the ground cooking:
http://www.sternefresser.de/index.ph...wohlfahrt-2015
Thanks very much ajs123. Will have to add it to our "to do" list next trip in Germany especially since both my grandmothers are German and used to feed us German food... many years ago.

Originally Posted by amaroo
Sensational TR ... as always.
Like your website ^
Thank you amaroo. I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by warreng24
Amazing. 2 of 2 early UA flights.
Thanks for sharing the report. The trip looked amazing. ^
Thanks warreng24. I've really had good success with UA and have (knock on wood) not experience many delays.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 1:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Yet another memorable effort by The Master! Thank you once again SFO777 for another nicely presented exposé on the good life aloft as well as down here on terra firma. ^^
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Yet another memorable effort by The Master! Thank you once again SFO777 for another nicely presented exposé on the good life aloft as well as down here on terra firma. ^^
Thank you very much Seat 2A. Hope you are having a good summer and planning your next excursion.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thank you very much Seat 2A. Hope you are having a good summer and planning your next excursion.
I have to keep your trip reports away from my wife. If she ever saw them, I'd go broke cause she would want to follow in your footsteps.

You're my idol. Full stop. I would like to see the world as you do......someday.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:46 pm

Very cool report SFO777.
I've been in F on the 330 and 744 but haven't been on the 748 so hopefully I can try that soon.
Just out of curiosity, does the crew on the boat expect gratuity or is that technically included in the price of the cruise?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 7:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by i_fly_to_much
I have to keep your trip reports away from my wife. If she ever saw them, I'd go broke cause she would want to follow in your footsteps. You're my idol. Full stop. I would like to see the world as you do......someday.
Thank you i_fly_to-much for your kind comments.

Originally Posted by NYflier2013
Very cool report SFO777.
I've been in F on the 330 and 744 but haven't been on the 748 so hopefully I can try that soon. Just out of curiosity, does the crew on the boat expect gratuity or is that technically included in the price of the cruise?
Thanks NYflier. We did tip the crew and they were most appreciative. In the cruise literature, Belmond recommended 5-10% of the cruise cost.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.