Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Private Barge Cruise in the South of France via Lufthansa First Class

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:38 pm
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
Sorry to hear that your experience on the flight to LAX was poor. In LH's defense: Harald Wohlfahrt is one of the chefs with the biggest name recognition in Germany, due to him holding three Michelin stars for a very long time. People travel from all over for a dinner in his restaurant in a small town in the Black Forest.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Originally Posted by DTS
Sorry to hear that your experience on the flight to LAX was poor. In LH's defense: Harald Wohlfahrt is one of the chefs with the biggest name recognition in Germany, due to him holding three Michelin stars for a very long time. People travel from all over for a dinner in his restaurant in a small town in the Black Forest.
I never understood why famous chefs lend their names to airline catering food anyway. They have little to gain (at best) and a lot to lose. It's quite obvious that they don't cook the food themselves and the publicity they get from seeing their name printed on thousands of onboard menu cards can quickly turn negative (like in this case) when the food doesn't live up to the (justifiably) high expectations. Harald Wohlfahrt is indeed a fantastic chef who can easily compete with the best 3 Michelin star chefs in Paris, but if the actual execution is badly handled by LH catering it creates double negative feedback: foreign LH F guests who had to eat this will probably never go to Mr. Wohlfahrt's restaurant Schwarzwaldstube (a must-go destination for a foodie) and they might even have a bad impression of German food as a whole, which is really unjustified as Germany is in the top 5 list of coutries with the most Michelin stars in the world (and second in Europe behind France). Contrary to many other German products, German food is hardly exported (except of course for sausages, pretzels, sauerkraut and beer) but it is definitely a lot better and more varied than its reputation.

Last edited by JohnRain; Jul 4, 2015 at 1:39 am
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:47 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Thank you for another amazing TR.

I had a look at the website for Belmond, looks like an awesome way to travel around that area of France, worth every cent.

Shame about the poor service in F on LH
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by JohnRain
I never understood why famous chefs lend their names to airline catering food anyway. They have little to gain (at best) and a lot to lose. It's quite obvious that they don't cook the food themselves and the publicity they get from seeing their name printed on thousands of onboard menu cards can quickly turn negative (like in this case) when the food doesn't live up to the (justifiably) high expectations.
I'd argue it's just the other way around; if the food is underwhelming, most flyers will blame the airline for its execution, not the chef who conceived the menu in the first place.

And as for what they have to gain? The easiest money they ever made.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Had to laugh...my wife and I had the same junk served as the second "meal" barbeque in F last summer. Totally inedible rib, cold unadorned corn, and a foil wrapped potato that was worse than on offer at the Golden Coral buffet.

The FA proactively cleared everything and brought us hot dogs from an economy stash with biz class Gruner Veltliner. Super!

Sorry you had surly FA's. We really love LH F.

Last edited by TPA us ff; Jul 4, 2015 at 4:13 pm
Old Jul 4, 2015, 4:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by TPA us ff
Had to laugh...my wife and I had the same junk served as the second barbeque in F last summer. Totally inedible rib, cold unadorned corn, and a foil wrapped potato that was worse than on offer at the Golden Coral buffet.
So funny how much of a role culture plays! It's as if they have a blind spot when it's a "traditional American meal."

And SFO777, this trip reveals your exquisite taste. I especially love the fact that the barge cruise wasn't much more than a suite aboard a Viking River Cruise would be. So great to see the options that are available if one stretches a bit.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks to my wonderful but occasionally travel-clueless better half, we are back at MUC about 2.5 hours before departure. And head for the First Class check in area and security. Not as bad as I anticipated. And then off to the FCL for breakfast.

At around T-50, we bid our adieus and headed out for long perp walk down to the H gates. Priority passport check means nothing when you get in a slow lane behind a non-US citizen with 4 passports and some visa issue. Lovely. And after all that, the long walk back to H17-H18 and a mass of humanity in a way too small space.

With only 8 pax, you'd think that the GA might perhaps call First Class pax. Heaven forbid, what a stupid idea that would be. Just let them scrum and board with Business and every Star Alliance cardholder and their families. How lovely.
http://www.munich-airport.de/en/cons..._new/index.jsp

Originally Posted by RandomBaritone
I especially love the fact that the barge cruise wasn't much more than a suite aboard a Viking River Cruise would be. So great to see the options that are available if one stretches a bit.
good to inform some FlyerTalk readers here

but hopefully mass market never catches on to good value provided by luxury and non-mass-chain options

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 4, 2015 at 10:35 pm
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by steveman518
I feel like we see one or two of the "Mrs. knows best" every TR-you think she'd let you make the travel decisions by this point It definitely makes it more entertaining for us though
Tell me. Over time, I've learned to pick my battles.

Originally Posted by themapelligroup
Wonderful report Sir!
Had a similar experience on a barge in south of France a couple of years ago, though it was a friend of mine's so service and food was not on par with what you had. Definitely a relaxing way to spend a day!
Thanks very much themapelligroup. Indeed, a very relaxing way to watch the countryside slowly pass by.

Originally Posted by techie
Sorry to correct you, but MUC CAN handle A380. EK fly it there from DXB. Whether that would automatically mean that MUC can also handle a 747, I don't know.
Thank you techie for the clarification.

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Nice report.
Don't LH always serve asparagus and boiled ham in F during asparagus season, no matter who the chef? Previously struck me as weird too.
Thanks BahrainLad. Perhaps they are trying to remind us that they are a German airline and therefore you will eat German food.

Originally Posted by mag
TG is flying to BKK with 744 (still).
The airport can fully handle both types. I am not an expert, but as said before, only A330 and A340 based in MUC so for crew logistical reasons no LH A380 and 747. To be fair, Harald Wohlfahrt is a very well know German chef (as mentioned in LH menue, holding three Michelin Stars for many years). Shame the meals did not come out according to his abilities. Thanks for a wonderful trip report!!!
Thank you mag. The crew basing issue makes sense as well as the consistency of aircraft for maintenance. I'm sure Wohlfahrt is very good but I would be concerned if my name was on a menu and it appeared that it was my attempt at American Barbecue.

Originally Posted by BahrainLad
Also, the A300-600 ST (Super Transporter) or "Beluga" as they are known are used to ferry various Airbus parts around the European manufacturing and final assembly lines.
In the video here http://youtu.be/i3_IP4zoW9I you can see it disgorging the fuselage and wings of a Vietnamese A350 at the Tolouse FAL.
They are getting a bit long in the tooth now so will shortly be replaced with some A330 ST
http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...opment-406160/
Interesting and aptly named. Thanks BahrainLad.

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
Nice trip - except for the finish perhaps. The catering looked suspect. I also recommend Airbräu - it's pretty good and if you get to sit outside on the largish deck, all the better. Travel safe.
Thanks very much worldtraveller73.

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
Wow, another great report! You're going to have to do a mighty penance, though, after all that wonderful food. Somehow I'm betting you've no regrets . . . .
Thank you FallenPlat. Mighty penance indeed. We are now nearing the end of week 2 of our self imposed no sweets, no cheese and no alcohol diet. OMG, there is hope... I can lose weight and inches.

Originally Posted by peasant
Looks up price for Allouette. Decides not to show dear wife this trip report...
LOL. Very wise.

Originally Posted by DTS
Thank you DTS. I'm sure he is very good and at another time and on the ground, I might reconsider.

Originally Posted by JohnRain
I never understood why famous chefs lend their names to airline catering food anyway. They have little to gain (at best) and a lot to lose. It's quite obvious that they don't cook the food themselves and the publicity they get from seeing their name printed on thousands of onboard menu cards can quickly turn negative (like in this case) when the food doesn't live up to the (justifiably) high expectations. Harald Wohlfahrt is indeed a fantastic chef who can easily compete with the best 3 Michelin star chefs in Paris, but if the actual execution is badly handled by LH catering it creates double negative feedback: foreign LH F guests who had to eat this will probably never go to Mr. Wohlfahrt's restaurant Schwarzwaldstube (a must-go destination for a foodie) and they might even have a bad impression of German food as a whole, which is really unjustified as Germany is in the top 5 list of coutries with the most Michelin stars in the world (and second in Europe behind France). Contrary to many other German products, German food is hardly exported (except of course for sausages, pretzels, sauerkraut and beer) but it is definitely a lot better and more varied than its reputation.
Thanks JohnRain. I agree that unless an airline and its caterer can execute, it is a real risk for the celebrity chef. I recall first hearing about Georges Blanc on a ZRH-SIN flight. It was one of the most amazing meals ever, in the air or on the ground, and have been in awe since. Indeed, we went to one of his restaurants in Lyon earlier in the year. Another great experience, also on SQ, was Matt Moran and we subsequently went to his Aria in Sydney as a result. Then there's Delta's Michelle Bernstein whose restaurant I would never think of patronizing based on DL in flight meals.

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Thank you for another amazing TR.
I had a look at the website for Belmond, looks like an awesome way to travel around that area of France, worth every cent. Shame about the poor service in F on LH
Thanks very much adampenrith.

I'd argue it's just the other way around; if the food is underwhelming, most flyers will blame the airline for its execution, not the chef who conceived the menu in the first place.
And as for what they have to gain? The easiest money they ever made.
Thank you RandomBaritone. Excellent point though on the easiest money they ever made.

Originally Posted by TPA us ff
Had to laugh...my wife and I had the same junk served as the second "meal" barbeque in F last summer. Totally inedible rib, cold unadorned corn, and a foil wrapped potato that was worse than on offer at the Golden Coral buffet. The FA proactively cleared everything and brought us hot dogs from an economy stash with biz class Gruner Veltliner. Super!
Sorry you had surly FA's. We really love LH F.
Thanks very much TPA us ff. Wow, that was the menu last summer?? Unbelievable. You'd think someone would notice that no one is eating that crap.

So funny how much of a role culture plays! It's as if they have a blind spot when it's a "traditional American meal."
And SFO777, this trip reveals your exquisite taste. I especially love the fact that the barge cruise wasn't much more than a suite aboard a Viking River Cruise would be. So great to see the options that are available if one stretches a bit.
Thanks again RandomBaritone. The funny thing was that we actually considered a Viking River Cruise, but were turned off by their demand for payment in full at time of booking. Even worse when our TA told us that they wanted the money up front since they were expanded so quickly and needed it to buy more ships. Sorry, but we had no interest in being Viking's bank.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
http://www.munich-airport.de/en/cons..._new/index.jsp
good to inform some FlyerTalk readers here
but hopefully mass market never catches on to good value provided by luxury and non-mass-chain options
Thanks for the interesting info Kagehitokiri. It wasn't obvious from looking at the site. How much do they charge for the service at MUC? IMO, the better and cheaper option is just to avoid and MUC and use FRA.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFO777
better and cheaper option is just to avoid and MUC and use FRA.
but you did not have that option

although, if you ever do paid VIP service, your wife may require it every time it is possible in the future. (and its expensive in london)
Old Jul 5, 2015, 11:43 am

You bid your "Adieus."

I notice that you are now speaking "Franglais."

LH should hire a "food taster." Same with UA.

I also noticed that UA require a lot more miles in LH F than UA F.

Miles and More also charge very high taxes like BA.

If I fly on LH I will avoid Munich though the airport looks nicer than Frankfurt.

Very interesting report as usual.

Thanks for posting.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Another superb report, though I was so sad to read the last installment.

I have yet to have a bad experience in LH F, but only have two LH MUC experiences (versus more than a dozen from FRA).

Do you think the FA's nastiness over the seat belt sign immediately ruined the flight? It would have for me and then I would have found everything to nit pick, as you did!

But the pre-arrival meal looks nasty and the F ground experience in MUC is just pathetic compared FRA.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Interesting TR, thanks SFO777.... I also enjoyed your pics and humour. Maybe you should consider staging a rebellion and putting your foot down with your wife and her route choices.... Apparently some women like that.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:13 pm

Thank you for another amazing report SFO777!

Even though I am stuck stateside working, the pictures of the canal gave me a nice mental break. ^
Old Jul 6, 2015, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
but you did not have that option
although, if you ever do paid VIP service, your wife may require it every time it is possible in the future. (and its expensive in london)
Thanks Kagehitokiri. Based on past experience, you are absolutely correct.

Originally Posted by Bretteee
You bid your "Adieus."
I notice that you are now speaking "Franglais."
LH should hire a "food taster." Same with UA.
I also noticed that UA require a lot more miles in LH F than UA F.
Miles and More also charge very high taxes like BA.
If I fly on LH I will avoid Munich though the airport looks nicer than Frankfurt.
Very interesting report as usual.
Thanks for posting.
Thank you Bretteee. At 110,000 one way, UA is a lot more than LH although the additional $400 of LH fees tends to offset the additional miles. At 62,500, AC is the most reasonable option.

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Another superb report, though I was so sad to read the last installment.
I have yet to have a bad experience in LH F, but only have two LH MUC experiences (versus more than a dozen from FRA).
Do you think the FA's nastiness over the seat belt sign immediately ruined the flight? It would have for me and then I would have found everything to nit pick, as you did!
But the pre-arrival meal looks nasty and the F ground experience in MUC is just pathetic compared FRA.
Thanks MatthewLAX. Agree that FRA is so much better than MUC.

Originally Posted by SAtraveller
Interesting TR, thanks SFO777.... I also enjoyed your pics and humour. Maybe you should consider staging a rebellion and putting your foot down with your wife and her route choices.... Apparently some women like that.
LOL. I'll take your advice under advisement and let you know how that works.
Thanks SAtraveller.

Originally Posted by jacobac00
Thank you for another amazing report SFO777!
Even though I am stuck stateside working, the pictures of the canal gave me a nice mental break. ^
Thanks very much jacobac00 for your kind comments.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
SPO777 thanks again for an enjoyable read, it seems like you have a habit of an extra night in Europe, ever thought of just planning it in advance !!

The LH food was a horror showm but still the way they recover frim IROPS is worth the odd glitch ! can you imagine if it was BA ? probably a seat on the next Air Norweigen !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.