United BusinessFirst MR JFK-SFO-NRT-SIN-NRT-SFO-JFK

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
United BusinessFirst MR JFK-SFO-NRT-SIN-NRT-SFO-JFK

As planned

As flown

So my goal was to get as far as I could with 2 GPUs so I could burn them this year for another MR. Last summer for my birthday I was able to find EWR-HKG-NRT-SFO-JFK. A few months ago in looking I was able to find R space for everything except SFO-JFK (which ended up clearing about a month or so ago).

I've been wanting to come to Singapore, it like Hong Kong and other ports that became powers always fascinated me since my days in school as a PoliSci IR major. Like with HKG I while I wanted/could have done the Peninsula and lived it up this was not that kinda trip, this was a mileage run! No Marina Bay Sands or Raffles and the like...I needed some SPG nights so the Sheraton seemed like a decent price.

1) United Club & JFK-SFO
2) United Club & SFO-NRT
3) ANA Lounge & United Club NRT
4) UA NRT-SIN
5) Sheraton Towers Singapore
6) Singapore
7) SATS Lounge & SIN-NRT
8) ANA Lounge & United Club NRT
9) UA J NRT-EWR
(IRROPS)
10) UA NRT-SFO
11) Arrivals Lounge SFO
12) SFO-JFK

Last edited by JVPhoto; Jun 3, 2015 at 5:04 am Reason: adding links
Old May 29, 2015, 9:45 am
Original Poster

United Club & UA p.s. JFK-SFO

When I did OLCI I got no offer for GlobalFirst buy up on the Asia legs even with seats available. At check in at the airport it offered me SFO-NRT for $1649. Thanks, but no thanks. I don't like soup that much and while I want to check out the GFL in SFO maybe if you had dropped the 1.

The Club technically opens at 5 but with the 6am JFK flight that essentially leaves 15 min (not that you need that much) but apparently they can open about 10-20 min early if they are there with everything set up.

Nothing for me here.

To cut back on things while traveling and be a bit smarter I have started to bring my own raw almonds, some chia goldenberry snacks and my own green tea.

Boarding ended up being pushed back about 12-15 min while the plane was being catered as they were in the aisles. This really upset a woman in G2 who made sure everyone knows that it is "absolutely freaking ridiculous that these people can't do their jobs!"
We ended up leaving on time.

As I was sitting comfy a guy comes up next to me and basically says "You're in A buddy..." I said, no B and he points to the sign on the bin. I said Yes I am in B, I always take the aisle this is B, you have the window. He did not once return the politeness given by, to the FAs. Halfway through using his laptop he put on a security screen to to try and mess with him I would look over that way with my eyes closed as though I were sleeping...I wonder how many times he looked over thinking I was peeking.

Finally and updated p.s. breakfast menu.

Tricky for me, but at least the fruit portion was big.

The sausages were really good, the potatoes weren't bad (I just picked at a few) and had a few bites of the quiche. I could have eaten the whole plate if I wasn't watching myself.

Some dozing off and on and we ended up arriving in SFO a bit ahead of schedule.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:00 am
Original Poster

United Club & UA BussinessFirst SFO-NRT 747

The Club in the INTL area had some new breakfast stuff with oatmeal and toppings and yogurt with berries and granola. The strawberries were the biggest things I've ever seen. Huge and flavorful. While I was there someone was giving new employees (maybe UC or station in general) a tour and mentioned the breakfast spread and someone said "Oh nice!" I almost whipped my head back around and said "You know nothing John Snow!"

I took off because I was going to pick up a snack or something else, ended up finding a fruit salad at the Mexican place.

Boarding again was down in the pit at the end of the terminal. About 20 people in line for the GA and then 1 started to line up and then 2 which blocked the escalator. Boarding was right on time (Good sign!!)
Took my seat upstairs, was worried my duffle bag wouldn't fit in the bin but wasn't a problem.

I kept checking on the app and didn't see some of the seats upstairs filling. Was I going to be solo for this TPAC?

"Boarding complete" and doors closed! Yes! Who needed the GF upgrade now I have two seats to myself, an eating/working on the aisle and then a sleeping at the window!

Still giving out the PGA kits which are proving more and more useless, so I've been leaving my balls on the plane.

I took the Japanese meal after confirming with the FA that yes I did want that and I would like the meal. Not sure if she was doubting this white boy's palette or trying to save it for Japanese pax (which there were only a few on the UD).

Only water for a PDB but I did treat myself to one thing of sake. I'm trying to cut back on the calories from drinking because easily on this flight I could have had a PDB, 2-3 sakes, wine, a cocktail with the arrival meal.

This was the same exact JPN meal that I had last month on SFO-NRT. I liked it then and I liked it now. Had I not been able to I then would have got the SF cioppino which is usually pretty good.

As she kept refilling eventually the FA asked if I just wanted my own pot of green tea. Didn't know they had pots! I am just going to start off with this now on NRT-SFO.

Said it before and I'll say it again, don't like the sUA cheese service (been skipping it anyways). I find the "carved" and plated to order sCO style yields better cheeses.

The ice cream was extra yellow today.

I bought WiFi and it seemed a little slower than normal, did take about 2 hours into the flight before it started working but then it kept the connection all the way to NRT.

Pretty uneventful other than I discovered the show Broad City on the IFE which is freaking hilarious.

I skipped breakfast and just had some of my snacks. I would have got the katsu which was good last time and from the looks of it appeared nice this time.

A smooth touch down a few minutes early in NRT. When we got out I headed to the connection area towards the end (actually was closer 150 vs. 250m) of the terminal because I wanted to go to the NH lounge first and it spits you out right there.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:36 am
Original Poster

ANA Lounge & United Club NRT

I like the NH lounge (even though it has no windows) better than the UC and I wanted to take a shower. There was no wait and looked like a few open rooms as well.

Nice & clean with plenty of amenities. Also the nice thing this time only doing a carry on was that I had my deodorant and hair products with me for once!

The lounge was pretty calm but after and hour or so it started filling up. I had a few bites of the sushi and meatballs and the salad.

Love the green tea on tap!

At the far end there were also 3 porcelain jars which had different sake in them so I went ahead and gave myself a little tasting as a treat.

It showed our flight to SIN was coming in from IAD and was scheduled to arrive 45 min late which gave it an hour to turn. I knew that wasn't happening. In any event I did head over to the UC in the event there was a bigger issue with the plane I would be in the UA lounge and right next to the gate.

All there is for me here.

(from a previous trip) I do remember liking the green tea cake.

Surprisingly it wasn't that crowded, still enough seats and it got thinner and thinner as each flight started to depart. They announced a 10 min delay in boarding followed by another 10 asking us to wait in the lounge.

I decided to head out after the first 10 min and to my surprise I saw no one in G1 and G2 but people were going in from G3...so it seems they did start boarding on time.

Time to take a seat on my first 5th Freedom flight.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Nice report JV! A long day of flying indeed. So technically you left JFK early in the morning and arrived in Singapore the same "day" but in the evening? It's a bummer that SQ no longer fly Newark-Singapore, otherwise that would have been a fun route to try.

I must say that for 1000 dollars and 2 GPU's it's some pretty good value you got.
Old May 29, 2015, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by LH4116
So technically you left JFK early in the morning and arrived in Singapore the same "day" but in the evening?
No - Asia is ahead of the US, not behind. So he left in the morning of Wednesday and landed in the evening of Thursday (technically actually the wee morning of Friday).
Old May 29, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dungeonlurker
No - Asia is ahead of the US, not behind. So he left in the morning of Wednesday and landed in the evening of Thursday (technically actually the wee morning of Friday).
Yes I know. I was more referring to the sense that the sun stayed up for the whole (or majority) duration of the trip
Old May 29, 2015, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
I'm assuming this was just to spite the complainers from the BUD/PRG report?
Old May 29, 2015, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

United BussinessFirst NRT-SIN 777

23 hours down, 7 to go!

Took my seat and towards the end my neighbor sat down. He had been on the same plane, same seat since DC and tried to impress me with how long he had been in transit. I tried to feign being impressed.

LH4116 were chatting the other day and mentioned how we both thought it was kind of exotic to not only see small narrow body American aircraft at places like NRT, but also just flying an American airline between two foreign countries.

I'm assuming the crew was NRT based but from what I could tell the FAs were a male/female mix of Japanese, Chinese (speaking at least), Western and maybe even Pinoy.

A full amenity kit is not given out, but it is like the p.s. flights where an FA comes around with a basket and lets you take what you need (ear plugs, toothbrush, eye mask).
So while the flight is the same time as EWR-LHR there's no full kit (I was fine with that) and the menu and meal make it seem almost like a domestic TCON service.

The fish was pretty decent. A good amount of it, needed a little S&P and the vegetables were tasty. I skipped the small piece of cake.

I didn't want to fully pass out. I got some sleep on the TPAC and my idea was to try not to snooze a whole lot on this flight so that I could land at 12:05, get to the hotel, shower and try to get in bed and wake up at a decent hour in the morning.
When I looked at the map and we still had 4 hours to go this is when I started to realize how long of a trek this was. I couldn't imagine the people that did these MRs in Y.

Plenty of lines open at passport, didn't take more than a minute. I only had a duffle bag and camera bag so I was able to get right out, exchanged some $, used the bathroom and then got in a taxi. I ended up in what would be a "premium" taxi which was a Chrysler 300. I was fine for it to be a bit more roomy.
The driver was great, we talked about the trip and travel and time zones. He told me how I would love Singapore because it is clean and safe. 38 SGD and maybe 20 min later I was at The Sheraton Towers, checked in to a nice room and actually went down to get a little work out in at 1am.
Old May 29, 2015, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Never, never a good idea to leave your balls on a plane!!
Old May 30, 2015, 3:55 am
Original Poster

The Sheraton Towers Singapore

I had searched a around a lot of places and weighed the options. When I round out at the Ritz Carlton here doesn't give any points I took that out of the running. While Marina Bay Sands would be "cool" with the infinity pool and what not, the novelty of an Instagram photo wasn't worth the negative things I came across about the hotel.
Needing SPG nights I found The Sheraton offering a good price.

Check in was easy, fast and friendly. Given a room on a high floor, not Gold yet so don't know about any upgrades and benefits aside from the free WiFi for SPG members booking directly from the hotel channels.

In the room by 12:55 and not that sleepy I decided to get a workout in at 1am. The gym is pretty nice, big and spacious, free amount of weights and machines plus two of those vibrating pad things. I had been sitting down for almost 30 hours so a good way to get rid of the kinks.

Not sure what the food situation was nearby I went ahead and decided to hang the sign on my door to have breakfast delivered since I imagined I would wake up pretty hungry and gave me incentive to set an alarm.

Delivered promptly at 10am the "healthy breakfast" was filling and a good way to start the morning and figure out plans.

Opened the curtains to a nice view of green Singapore.

House keeping is quick. The make up room sign is electronic so I'm not sure if they get notifications. For example today I put it on, walked down to Ion on Orchard to get a swimsuit and breakfast and within the hour I was gone the room was made up.

Feeling hungry I peeked at the menu in the afternoon after I was done doing a shoot and before heading out to the Gardens for the light show but not wanting to walk down and find something I ordered a laksa from room service. Very tasty, just the right amount of spiciness. The only other one I've had was in the SQ F lounge at SYD...I'm going to have a hawkers one in the next few days as well.

All in all I'm fine with the hotel. Friendly staff, clean, comfortable and large rooms. Location is 3 min walk from the Newton Food Center (and MTR) which is nice, 10-12 min you can get to the corner of Orchard Road where Marriott/Ion/Isetan are. I got to Chinatown pretty quickly on the MTR but there isn't a whole lot in the immediate vicinity.
Happy for 4 nights to get the points, but I feel when I come back to SIN I probably wouldn't stay here again and try something new within my options.
Old May 31, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM
Is it just me, or are most of the photos not coming up?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 12:36 am

I think it's just you-I'm getting them to show up just fine
Old Jun 1, 2015, 3:02 am
Original Poster

Try refreshing your browser (if a little image icon appears).

Going to be doing the "nice" photos of SG in a few hours.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 4:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
They show up for me. Thanks for posting. Oh, yes you did the right thing not booking the Marina Bay Sands.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.