Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

"Reset Button" Tel Aviv-Newark-Cleveland United BusinessFirst

"Reset Button" Tel Aviv-Newark-Cleveland United BusinessFirst

Old Jul 7, 2015, 2:43 pm

I'm sorry to hear that your Aliyah did not work out as planned. Had you tried to line up a job prior to arriving in Israel? Or was it one of those things where they said it is in the works but never pans out?

Hopefully it has not soured you on visiting again. I'm sure you're not turning to PLO like that idiot suggested you were gonna do.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 3:40 pm

Your story goes so far beyond the average trip report on this site, and puts into perspective what people go through when they pick up their entire lives and move somewhere else. Having never done anything of this magnitude myself but frequently considering doing so, it makes me think of the massive amount of logistics behind such a move.

It's really too bad it didn't work out and that you encountered so many people of.. poor quality.. but like you say, knowing is better than regretting what may have been.

Thanks for sharing Mats, and best of luck for the future.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 6:03 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Just Curious, With your dog, I guess he was in Cabin the entire United flight ?

I've tried to get my dog on international flights previously with most airlines and it was a straight NO, unless he was a service dog.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by southsidesilver
Just Curious, With your dog, I guess he was in Cabin the entire United flight ?

I've tried to get my dog on international flights previously with most airlines and it was a straight NO, unless he was a service dog.
Mostly depends on weight (up to 8 kg). Our dogs would never qualify for cabin....
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT Globalist, Marriott GLD, Car National Exe
Thanks for a very nice report, I totally enjoyed reading it.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Your story reminds me a bit of the Dutch TV show "Ik Vertrek". It is about Dutch families trying their luck abroad. Most of these stories can be summarized as "I hate Holland, let's move to France or Thailand and start a bed'n breakfast."
http://www.avrotros.nl/ikvertrek/home/

It always amazes me how people make these life-altering decisions on a whim. Full of emotions and with hardly any analytical thought.
Thanks God that I am very delighted for living in my beautiful city of Chicago ^ and I don't want to move any where else @:-)
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
This is an interesting mix of the profound and the trivial, the humorous and the serious, but what you really need is a good woman. With that, being gainfully and professionally employed won't be so bad, even in Cleveland. And children are way better than a dog. They change your life -- for the better. I have a certain insight here . . . .

"Safety is global; grammar apparently is not." Nice quip. If it means anything to you, this travelogue is even better than the first. You've obviously got talent enough to light up a room. So surely you've got the common sense to put it to good use, right? (Hint: See my first paragraph.)

Good luck!
Old Jul 8, 2015, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Best of luck in Cleveland!!
Old Jul 9, 2015, 11:40 am
Original Poster

LeisureClassy
That was a great article, thank you. It reminds me of being an exchange student when I was 15. I left for a year, came back, and nothing at home had changed.

Farbster,
It was as you suspected: the NGOs and health care organisations in Israel assured me that everything would work out, including a timeline for licensure and employment. But none of it was true.

This seems to be extraordinarily common, and I keep hearing more and more stories similar to my own.

Madone59 and Billiken
I'm just in Ohio temporarily. I'm interviewing for jobs now--lots of possibilities. I'd much rather be in Tel Aviv.

SouthsideSilver
United is quite accommodating about dogs, and mine is a small one (about 9 kg). Send me a PM if you have questions.

FallenPlat and Speedbird84[/b]
Thank you both so much for your compliments and appreciation.

I'm still in a fair bit of grief, and Ohio seems to be having a monsoon season. I'm interviewing for lots of jobs, but it is indeed painful. I'll no doubt feel better when I'm in an apartment of my own, back to work, and getting paychecks (I haven't seen one of those in a long time!)

Pancho is fine; he adapts to just about anything.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Mats,

Always excited to see a TR from you.

Oy Vey - what a mashugana.

How sad not to be in Tel Aviv where you feel comfortable, I do relate.

Just nuts - how else is Israel going to get ahead but to promote aliyah and provide opportunities for growth.

What a hideous trip for you when you were feeling bad.

Hope it works out for you, an amazing job, an awesome apartment, and a earth shattering romance .......

Mazel Tov
Old Jul 11, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Thank you for posting the second report of your journey!
I read the first one and have occasionally wondered how it turned out for you in Israel.
I'm sorry it did not work out well, and I hope you find some happiness in Cleveland (or elsewhere in the USA).
Old Jul 11, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Cleveland is a wonderful city. I hope you will consider living there. I miss it so much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.