Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Singapore Airlines New Business Class SQ 305 London to Singapore

Old May 26, 2015, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Singapore Airlines, SQ 305, London to Singapore on a Boeing 777-300ER, New Business Class. I was on my way home.

This is the flight review video -

Read on for pictures and the review.

Singapore Airlines departs from London Heathrow Terminal 2, the brand new Queen's Terminal. I had some hours of layover, as I was connecting from Canada.

At the gates, I almost could't recognize the Boeing 777-300ER, as it was painted in the Star Alliance livery and not the traditional Singapore Airlines livery.

I spent some time at the United Club lounge as well as the newly opened SilverKris Lounge. Check out my reviews of the lounges in a later thread. Before I boarded, I walked the length of Terminal 2B and here are pictures of two interesting aircraft I saw.

This was Air New Zealand, in Hobbit livery. Very cool!

United metal. Is this an Airbus A350? I'm not sure.

I boarded the SQ plane about 30 minutes before departure time. Looking forward to it, as this was my first time in the New Business Class. The new product did not disappoint. The J cabin felt very private and even luxurious. The fittings were new and the seat felt very comfortable. The J cabin was full.

I was in seat 17A, window seat. The screen is definitely bigger now, compared to the older Business Class product. However, it is not a touch-screen.

The new business class cabin felt even more private, compared to the older long-haul business class cabin. I actually felt small sitting in the cabin, as if enclosed by a large personal space. Not sure how this was done but one observation is that the partitions seem to be higher, making the feel more exclusive. In terms of absolute space, it would be the same as the older business class cabin.

Here are the seat control buttons and other buttons. Many more buttons to fiddle around with. I played with them all.

This was a Boeing 777-300ER (in Star Alliance livery).

This is what the J cabin looks like. I am standing in my seat as I take this photo. It certainly looks very private, doesn't it?

This is the view from my seat, 17A. Pretty good view. The aircraft was turning onto Runway 27L for takeoff. I see a concorde in the background left.

[to be continued]
Old May 27, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
United metal. Is this an Airbus A350? I'm not sure.

Looks like a 787 to me but I'm no expert. Nice start, I will check back in when you completed the write up.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by DaveNCL
Looks like a 787 to me but I'm no expert. Nice start, I will check back in when you completed the write up.
It's a 787-8. Only Qatar Airways have A350s at the moment.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: Status? What's status?
Originally Posted by phol
It's a 787-8. Only Qatar Airways have A350s at the moment.
Easiest way to tell the two apart from this angle are the cockpit windows. 787 has four windows, A350 has six.
Old May 27, 2015, 9:57 am

Looking forward to the rest
Old May 27, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
New SQ C looks good! Looking forward to the rest, thanks for sharing ^
Old May 27, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: most of them
Looks like they packed those seats in pretty tight
Old May 27, 2015, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I also flew the newly upgraded SQ J seat recently on the SIN-LHR route. Definitely an improvement over the first generation J on the 77W and A380.

I also included in my most recent TR. Looking forward to see you report.

Grinding of Business Travel- *A RTW on SQ/LH/SN/UA via SIN/LON/MAD/FLL
Old May 27, 2015, 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by iluvcruising2

This is the view from my seat, 17A. Pretty good view. The aircraft was turning onto Runway 27L for takeoff. I see a concorde in the background left.

[to be continued]
Thanks for the report - the new J product looks good.

Did SQ 305 two years ago, I also saw a concorde (@1:36) same one but moved ? They probably have more than one ?

Old May 27, 2015, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by AndrewE
Did SQ 305 two years ago, I also saw a concorde (@1:36) same one but moved ? They probably have more than one ?
G-BOAB has been at Heathrow since 2000. It's been moved around but has been at the entrance to 27L for a few years now. The rest are in museums.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:31 am
Original Poster

The flight departed on time. This is the menu. Lunch would be served shortly after take-off and breakfast would be served before landing. Sorry, I don't know how to make it upright. Got to crane your neck to read this.

Lunch - London to Singapore. For mains, there were a whopping four choices. There was beef, char siew rice, grilled corn fed chicken breast and braised cod fillet with laksa gravy and steamed rice. I didn't have any of these as I had booked the cook for the Lobster Thermidor. More on that later.

Light Bites. Notice, they offered an English Tea Service, which came with scones, open faced sandwiches and mini-pastry. I was keen to try this. Alas, I didn't get a chance because I had a very good sleep after lunch. When I woke up, it was time for breakfast. Oh well.

Breakfast. Three choices for the main. An Indian dish (Thosai Masala), French Toast and Mushroom Omelette.

Shot of the screen. We had just taken off. 46 miles from London. A 12 hour journey to Singapore, from London.

Looking around, I found a nice resting place for my companion droids. They don't need much in terms of sustenance. They just like a good view.

Took out the Phitek Noise Cancellation headphones. They worked very well.

For drinks, I started with the Singapore Sling. Somehow, I always ask for this drink when flying SQ. Singapore Sling.

Shortly after, the stewardess came around with a trolley of satay. Satay was served. It was delicious!! Thick pieces of juicy lamb and chicken meat. The satay sauce tasted wonderful too.

I got three sticks of satay and my droids had to come take a closer look. Sorry, peanut sauce ain't good for your circuitry.

My main meal was the Lobster Thermidor, which I had ordered online using the Book the Cook service. Here is the Lobster. The presentation was beautiful, and different from the Lobster Thermidor that I had previously tried when flying out of Singapore. They come from different kitchens, and therefore they are prepared differently. I think the Lobster from the London kitchen is bigger, with much more meat! (Watch the video)

About 2 hours since we took off. I see Helsinki. Maybe I should visit Finland. I am sure it is a fun place to visit.

Here is a picture of the seat in bed mode. After a good lunch, I felt very sleepy. So I converted the seat into bed mode and it was time to get some much-needed rest.

A duvet blanket was provided, and it was very comfortable indeed.

I had a good 7 hours plus of sleep. The flight was very smooth all the way back to Singapore. When I woke up, the flight had under 2 hours to go. Flight attendants were already preparing for the breakfast service.

I considered converting the bed back into seat mode for breakfast, but I was simply too lazy. I knew that it was possible to have breakfast when the seat was still in bed mode, and what was what I did. You can see the breakfast laid out here - my breakfast in bed!

We landed in Singapore on schedule, and our plane pulled up right next to another SQ plane in Star Alliance livery. What a coincidence. I wonder how many SQ planes have been painted in this livery, instead of the traditional SQ look.

Overall, it was a very pleasant flight, in the New Business Class cabin. Pity, I didn't get a chance to try the english tea service. It wasn't the fault of SQ. I was happily sleeping. Next time!
Old May 28, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by glennaa11
Looks like they packed those seats in pretty tight
That was my first thought as well. Seat does look nice though.

Thanks for the TR iluvceuising2. It is an enjoyable read
Old May 28, 2015, 7:55 am
Original Poster

SQ 306 - Singapore to London

Singapore Airlines Business Class SQ 306
Singapore to London

For reference, I also made a video of my flight to London. I fly to London on a Singapore Airlines Boeing 777-300ER. It was the older Business Class cabin. The flight was scheduled to depart at 0110hrs, but due to air traffic congestion, it departed late.

For my meals, I used Book the Cook. Lobster Thermidor was my main course for supper. You can see that the presentation is slightly different from the London to Singapore leg.

Prior to arrival, we had breakfast and again, I chose Book the Cook this time the Fish Congee. The congee was excellent. Many nice pieces of white fish.

Thanks for viewing.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:14 am

Ironic how gung-ho Star Alliance they seem to be, considering their lack of award availability (or lack of) to partners.

On a more serious note, are you going to fly the R2-D2-themed ANA 787?
Old May 28, 2015, 11:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Thanks for compiling the report! SQ sure is one of the classiest airlines around, the cabin feels very nice, but I am not sure I like the albino livery, seems like it is missing something!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.