Tour of Duty 27th April 2015 to 15th May 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels

Part I: Badger State to Lone Star State
27th April to 1st May

Time to hit the road and the company booked me an itinerary from LAX to MKE so I could get a truck in New Berlin, WI. At the time the possible destinations were Pasadena, TX; Gonzales, LA and Edison, NJ. I took shuttle to LAX, checked my bags which weighed 44 and 39lbs, paid checked bag fees and cleared security after a queue. I opted out and was patted down and my boot bag was emptied and searched. Time from beginning of check in to end of security was about 45 minutes. While I was waiting in the "secure" section of the terminal an LAPD K9 officer came through with his dog and I was startled. I am very emphatically not a dog person!

Delta #1876 LAX-DTW B-737-900 Zone 2
Seat 22A Cruising altitude announced at 33,000 feet later 37,000 feet Estimated flying time 4:16, actual 4:18
Depart: Gate 55A Scheduled 13h25, actual 13h29 Taxi: 19 minutes
Arrive: Gate A12 Scheduled 20h50, actual 21h15 Taxi: 8 minutes

We boarded via jetway and this was my first time on a DL 739. The plane was packed with all 180 seats (20F/180Y) full. It was announced it was cloudy and 50F at DTW. Pushback was 4 minutes late and takeoff was to the west and we went over water and circled left overwater to head northeast.

My seat was immediately behind exit row so the wing blocked much of the view but I saw El Segundo, LAX, the San Fernando Valley, BUR then the San Gabriel Mountains and the High Desert. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:20.

At 0:46 I got Food for Purchase, Roast Beef Sliders and the Travel Treats Snack Box and I saw St-George, UT at 0:47. At 1:01 I saw clouds increase over southern Utah. I followed the flight on the map that was available in the TV screen on the seatback in front of me.

At 1:06 I got cup of soda and got Biscoff at 1:08. I liked the Roast Beef Sliders and hope Delta keeps that as an option for purchase. At 1:28 seatbelt sign came on and went off at 1:41. Clouds blocked view of the Rockies over Colorado. Seatbelt sign went on at 1:46 and I felt bumps. Seatbelt sign went off over northeast Colorado but I forgot when. Clouds blocked the view below as I got water at 2:08 as we entered Nebraska airspace.

I used one of the washrooms in the rear and at about 2:40 we entered Iowa airspace south of Sioux City. At 2:58 we passed Ft. Dodge, IA and there was view of the plains below. Seatbelt sign went on at 3:02 and we entered Wisconsin airspace at 3:16. At 3:23 I got another cup of soda.

We went over Lake Michigan north of Milwaukee, WI at 3:36 and felt descent begin at 3:37. We made landfall north of Muskegon, MI at 3:43 and clouds started to increase. Descent was announced at 3:52 and it was 52F and cloudy at DTW.

At 4:08 I got glimpse of Ambassador Bridge on approach and we landed to the north northeast and after we stopped briefly due to people getting up we finally arrived at gate 25 minutes late and I was concerned about my connecting flight. We deplaned via jetway then I hustled via the tram and tunnel to my next flight.

Delta Connection #4738 DTW-MKE CRJ-900 Zone 2
Seat 18D Cruising altitude 22,000 feet Estimated flying time 0:40, actual 0:41
Depart: Gate B7 Scheduled 21h40, actual 21h42 Taxi: 12 minutes
Arrive: Gate D47 Scheduled 21h57, actual 21h40 Taxi: 4 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 16-17 minutes after arrival

I made it barely in time and was the second to last to board via jetway. It was announced it was 46F and scattered clouds at MKE. Plane was mostly but not totally full and capacity was 76 (12F/64Y). Pushback was 2 minutes late and takeoff was to the north northeast and I saw the lights of the Detroit metro area and downtown Detroit as well as the Ambassador Bridge and Windsor, ON.

At 0:02 we turned to the west. It was announced the crew would be unable to do beverage service due to the short duration of the flight. At 0:12 I saw the lights of what may have been Lansing, MI and we went over Lake Michigan at 0:23. I felt descent at 0:24 over water and descent was announced at 0:36. We made landfall at 0:36 and turned north at 0:37 and landed south to north and arrived at gate 17 minutes early and we deplaned via jetway. I claimed my bags and took shuttle to nearby hotel and spent the night in Milwaukee, WI. Late the next morning I hired a taxi to get the truck.

Trip: New Berlin, WI to Pasadena, TX 1,192 paid miles
Make: 2016 Peterbilt
Model: Vacuum Truck
Transmission: Standard Straight 10-speed
Route: Interstate 43 to Interstate 90 to Interstate 39 to Interstate 55 to Interstate 255 back to Interstate 55 to US67 to Arkansas 440 to Interstate 440 to Interstate 30 to Interstate 49 to US59 to Interstate 610 to Texas 225
Maximum elevation: unknown
Highest diesel USA: $2.739/gallon at Pilot Benton, AR
Lowest diesel USA: $2.499/gallon at Mr. Fuel/Pilot Peavely, MO

Tuesday I made the pickup and got started. The weather was fair. There was construction at the junction of Interstate 90 and 39 and US20 and traffic was backed up then I saw the aftermath of a wreck on Interstate 39 and had to slow to avoid debris. I had evening rations at Dixie Truckstop in McLean, IL and had all you can eat Chicken, Walleye and Pork. I spent the night in Litchfield, IL.

Wednesday I took a quick look at Old Route 66 in Litchfield, IL and got rolling. The weigh scale was open in Collinsville, IL but I was directed to use the bypass lane and was not pulled in for inspection. I stopped to take on fuel and have midday rations in Peavely, MO. There was a bogus construction zone in that area. Signs said two lanes were closed but no lanes were really closed but there was a lot of slowing. More of US67 was twinned compared to the previous time I took that route. I spent the night in Jacksonville, AR.

Thursday I continued and started my run on Interstate 30 and took on fuel in Benton, AR then stopped at Brown's Country Store and Restaurant also in Benton, AR for midday rations. When I got to the Texarkana area I took the new Interstate 49 and made the mistake of not continuing to Shreveport, LA. Instead I got on US59 and entered Texas where US59 was being upgraded to Interstate 69 and there was a lot of construction as well as towns that had stop signs, stop lights and lower speed limits interspersed with short sections of 75mph speed limits. I made it as far as Livingston, TX where I spent the night.

Friday I continued south and heard there was a truck at the same place in Pasadena, TX going to Houston. I made it to Pasadena, TX and the customer was open, notwithstanding the International Workers Holiday (May Day). I dropped the truck and transferred my gear into the next truck.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; May 24, 2015 at 2:55 am
Old May 23, 2015, 2:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards; AAdvantage; Alaska Mileage Plan; Wyndham Rewards; Choice Hotels
Lurking around the Lone Star State

Part II: Lurking around the Lone Star State; Short Rant
1st May to 3rd May

Trip: Pasadena, TX to Houston, TX 22 actual miles
Make: Peterbilt
Transmission: Standard Straight 10-speed
Route: Texas 225 to Interstate 610
Fuel: none

I made the short drive to a dealer I was told to go to and dropped off the truck. The advantage to this trip was it would take longer to get a taxi in Pasadena and the fare would be much higher.

I hired a taxi and headed to HOU. I checked in and checked my bags which weighed 45.5 and 39.5lbs. I had evening rations at Pappa's BBQ before clearing security. I was patted down after I opted out of the scanner but there was no additional screening of my carry on's.

Southwest #1540 HOU-SAT B-737-700 Boarding Pass B9
Seat 22F Cruising altitude 28,000 feet Estimated flying time not given, actual 0:36
Depart: Gate 45 Scheduled 22h10, actual 22h14 Taxi: 9 minutes
Arrive: Gate A12 Scheduled 23h05, actual 23h03 Taxi: 3 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 17-18 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway and the plane was mostly though not totally full. Pushback was 4 minutes late and takeoff was to the east then turn north and west. I saw lights of downtown Houston and some clouds. I got pretzels at 0:10 and clouds partly blocked the view below as we headed west. I thought I felt descent begin at 0:15 and we turned more north at 0:16.I got cup of soda at 0:19.

Rant On. This Boeing 737 with a capacity of 143 passengers was a bigger plane than the Delta Connection CRJ-900 I was on from DTW to MKE that was configured with a capacity of 76. Also the flight was five minutes shorter but there was a drink service on Southwest as opposed to no drink service on Delta. Well done Southwest and shame on Delta! Rant Off.

At 0:21 we turned a little south and I saw what looked to be lights of Austin and San Antonio. We landed to the southeast and arrived at gate 2 minutes early. After I claimed my baggage I hired a taxi to hotel and spent the night in Universal City, TX.

The following day I hired a taxi to Converse, TX where I got the next truck

Trip: Converse, TX to New Braunfels, TX 22 paid miles
Make: 2015 Freightliner
Transmission: Automatic
Route: Interstate 10 to Anderson Loop Texas 1604 to Interstate 35
Fuel: none

I picked up the used truck from a dealer and it was a rather short drive to New Braunfels where again the next truck was waiting where I was dropping this one. I got in and phoned up the receiver and was told where in the plant to go.

Trip: New Braunfels, TX to Pasadena, TX 190 paid miles
Make: 2015 Peterbilt
Transmission: Standard straight 10-speed
Route: Interstate 35 to Texas 46 to Interstate 10 to Interstate 610 to Texas 225
Fuel: $2.799/gallon at Pilot New Braunfels, TX and Flying J Brookshire, TX

I took on fuel and grabbed a quick snack before cutting down to the 10. Once on the 10 I got off and took pictures of Flatonia and Schulenburg, TX. I had evening rations at Oakridge Smokehouse in Schulenburg, TX. Then I took on fuel in Brookshire and reached the Loop in the northeast part of Houston, TX. I spent the night in Houston, TX.

Sunday I phoned up taxi to make arrangements to get me in Pasadena and take me to IAH. I headed to Pasadena where I made an after hours drop and was met by the taxi which took me to IAH.
Old May 24, 2015, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Travelling around Texas; New Airport

Part III: Travelling around Texas; New Airport
3rd May to 6th May

Sunday 3rd May I was dropped off at IAH Terminal B. The setup inside was such that once I got my bags secured I was able to weigh my bags which weighed 47 and 39.5lbs, check in at the kiosk, pay the bag fees and self-tag the bags before seeing an agent at another podium. This was very quick and it did not take long to clear security though there was a short queue and I opted out of the scanner and was patted down. Time from beginning of check-in to clear of security was 28 minutes. After being cleared I went to Schlotzsky's for midday rations.

United Express #4626 IAH-LRD E-135 Group 3
Seat 5A Cruising altitude not given Estimated flying time 0:55, actual 0:55
Depart: Gate B15 Scheduled 14h37, actual 14h37 Taxi: 9 minutes
Arrive: Gate 2 Scheduled 15h49, actual 15h44 Taxi: 2 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 14 minutes after arrival

I first went into an area where people are allowed only 30 minutes before departure as there are no washrooms or other concessions in the boarding area for Gates B1 to B31. We went out on the tarmac a few steps and went up a covered ramp to board the plane. I overheard that 27 of 37 seats were taken on this flight. Pushback was on time and takeoff was to the east. I saw US59 and Loop 8.

At 0:04 we turned south and at 0:05 I saw Baytown, TX. At 0:06 we turned southwest over Galveston Bay and at 0:07 I saw Kemah, TX and Galveston farther out. Clouds partially blocked the view below but I saw the Texas Gulf Coast to the distance though the view was quite hazy.

At 0:16 I got cup of soda. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:22. I felt descent and heard announcement at 0:34 while using the washroom. When I returned to my seat at 0:38 I was unsure of exact location over South Texas due to extensive but not total cloud cover. Captain announced descent at 0:40 and seatbelt sign went on at the same time. Winds were out of the south at 20mph and there were scattered clouds and it was 88F at LRD. At 0:45 I felt bumps. We landed north to south and arrived at gate 5 minutes early and deplaned via jetway. After I got my bags someone from the shipper came and got me and took me to the truck.

Trip: Laredo, TX to La Porte, TX 335 paid miles
Make: 2012 International
Route: Texas 359 to Loop 20 to Interstate 35 to Interstate 410 to Interstate 10 to Interstate 610 to Texas 225
Diesel price USA: $2.839/gallon at Flying J San Antonio, TX and Brookshire, TX

I found the condition of the inside of the cab of the truck was similar to a pig sty and cleaned it some prior to departure. I went to a major truckstop to clean the windshield with limited success then went to Family Baptist Church in Laredo, TX to attend the Sunday Evening service. Afterward I got underway and shut down and spent the night in Cotulla, TX.

Monday there was a little drizzle and light rain between Dilley and Pearsall and again west of Seguin, TX on Interstate 10. I saw a yellow warning light on the dash saying Fuel Filter so I was concerned but the yellow light came on and went off. I stopped at Mikeskas BBQ in Columbus, TX for evening rations before continuing east. I phoned up hotels and had trouble getting a room reserved due to a convention in Houston. I made arrangements with the receiver for an after hours delivery as I learned that I was to drop the truck and modifications or repairs were to be made then I was to take the same truck back to Laredo. I arrived at the receiver in La Porte, dropped the truck and was taken to hotel. There were issues as my room turned out to be not cleaned and I was almost turned away but explained to the front desk I was out of options and someone cleaned the room and I spent the night in Deer Park, TX.

Tuesday I checked out of my room and waited and finally a taxi came and took me back to La Porte where I got the truck to drive back to Laredo. Some sort of large filter was put on the front seat so I had to put my black bag back in one of the rear side compartments. The filter did not block my view enough for there to be a safety issue otherwise I either would not have gone or the filter would have to have been shipped to the customer in Laredo.

Trip: La Porte, TX to Laredo, TX 335 paid miles
Make: 2012 International
Route: Texas 225 to Interstate 610 to Interstate 10 to US59 to Loop 20 to Texas 359
Diesel fuel price USA: $2.839/gallon at Flying J Laredo, TX

I got the truck and took a different route to Laredo. I decided to use US59 as I had not yet travelled US59 between Victoria and Laredo so I was looking forward to some new sights. It was windy and mostly cloudy and I got a brief heavy shower in Houston. There was a traffic jam in Houston on US59 and I saw the Lakewood Church sign (pastored by Joel Osteen) off US59 near the Interstate 610 ring road. There was another shower in Beasley, TX and rain off and on through Victoria. I did stop in Victoria and took some pictures of downtown notwithstanding the rain. I continued and stopped and spent the night in Goliad, TX.

Wednesday there was no rain but it was a bit humid. I took a look at Goliad and took some pictures of the town then continued southwest on US59. US59 turned into a two-lane road for the most part past Goliad. I had to take a loop around Beeville and George West so I did not really see those cities. There was construction in Freer, TX and it rained pretty good past Freer for a little while. I stopped to fill up the fuel tank at a major truckstop in Laredo then went and dropped the truck off at customer and was taken to hotel. I was initially told the company would rent me a car to Corpus Christi and I would fly CRP via HOU to BHM but alas there was a change in plan and I was to spend the night and fly next morning from LRD via IAH to BHM for next truck. I had evening rations at Golden Corral. I spent the night in Laredo, TX.
Old May 25, 2015, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Leaving the Lone Star State; Driving thru Dixie

Part IV: Leaving the Lone Star State; Driving thru Dixie
7th May to 11th May

Thursday the 7th of May I got up and got ready and ended up on hotel shuttle to LRD. I checked in and checked bags which weighed 45.5 and 39.5lbs. I opted out of the machine and was patted down. Also a Border Patrol agent asked me about my citizenship. The only other place I saw that was MFE. My briefcase and boot bag were both hand searched. Notwithstanding all that it still took less than 25 minutes from beginning of check in to end of security.

United Express #3946 LRD-IAH E-135 Group 3
Seat 4D Cruising altitude 28,000 feet Estimated flying time 0:52, actual 0:50
Depart: Gate 2 Scheduled 10h56, actual 10h52 Taxi: 9 minutes
Arrive: Gate B28 Scheduled 12h10, actual 12h01 Taxi: 9 minutes

We boarded via jetway and takeoff was to the south. I got brief glimpse of downtown Laredo and the Rio Grande before going into and over clouds. Cloud cover blocked the view of the ground almost all the flight. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:08. At 0:14 it was announced we reached cruise altitude. At 0:16 I got cup of soda and it was still cloudy. Descent was announced and seatbelt sign went on at 0:31 and it was still cloudy but it was announced it was 82F at IAH. I felt bumps start at 0:39 and clouds broke onapproach. At 0:48 I saw downtown Houston on approach. We landed weat to east and arrived at gate 9 minutes early and deplaned via ramp and walked across the tarmac into the terminal.

United Express #4392 IAH-BHM E-145 Group 3
Seat 23A Cruising altitude 37,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:30, actual 1:22
Depart: Gate B3 Scheduled 13h56, actual 15h31 Taxi/hold: 24 minutes
Arrive: Gate C4 Scheduled 15h54, actual 17h21 Taxi: 3 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 16-17 minutes after arrival

Plane was delayed so I waited in the waiting area and was not allowed to go in the boarding area. The delay grew and gate was changed from B7 to B3. Finally we were given the go ahead to go to the boarding area and there are no washrooms or other facilities there. We went outside and up a covered ramp to board the 50-seat plane and every seat was occupied. Pushback was 1h35min late and takeoff was to the east then turn northeast. There was a hazy view of the ground below and clouds increased to block the view below and I saw some thunderclouds.

At 0:17 I saw ground as clouds broke. At 0:28 I got cup of soda while in clouds and felt bumps. At 0:38 seatbelt sign went off and cruise was announced at 0:39. At 0:40 it appeared we crossed the Mississippi River and at 0:45 I saw Jackson, MS with Interstate 20, 55 and 220 below and JAN to the east. Seatbelt sign went on at 1:02 and descent was announced at 1:03. We made turns and I saw the beginning of the Appalachians and we landed to the southwest and arrived at gate 1h27min late and deplaned via jetway.

After I got my bags I hopped into a rental car and headed for Tuscaloosa. I took a quick look at downtown Tuscaloosa and took some pictures. Then I found the truck and talked to a guy at the shipper as there was an issue with a mudflap missing but decided not to make pickup until next day as it was dark so I went to Bojangles for evening rations then found lodging and spent the night in Tuscaloosa, AL.

Trip: Tuscaloosa, AL to Gonzales, LA 344 paid miles
Make: 2015 Freightliner
Route: Interstate 359 to Interstate 59 to Interstate 10 to Interstate 610 back to Interstate 10 to Louisiana 30 to Louisiana 3251
Highest diesel USA: $2.799/gallon at Pilot La Place, LA
Lowest diesel USA: $2.759/gallon at Pilot Meridian, MS

Friday I went back to the truck and found it had a mudflap where none was the night before. I loaded my gear into the truck and completed the inspection and then went to drop off the rental car and hired a taxi back to the truck. I got underway. The truck was able to do 70mph. I ate in Eutaw, AL then took on fuel in Meridian, MS. I got to La Place, LA where I spent the night after learning there was another truck at another location in Gonzales, LA going to Huntsville, AL.

Saturday I took on fuel and got word of a taxi in Gonzales, LA so I did an after hours drop and it was a short taxi ride to the next location where I got the truck.

Trip: Gonzales, LA to Huntsville, AL 495 paid miles
Make: 2015 Kenworth
Route: Louisiana 30 to Interstate 10 to Interstate 610 back to Interstate 10 to Interstate 59 to Interstate 65 to Interstate 565
Highest diesel USA: $2.799/gallon at Pilot Priceville, AL
Lowest diesel USA: $2.759/gallon at Pilot Meridian, MS

I got underway and the weather was warm and muggy but not as bad as it will be later in the summer. After a uneventful day I made it to Meridian, MS where I spent the night.

Sunday I took a look and some pictures of Meridian, MS then continued toward my destination. This truck was time sensitive in that a work crew needed to put it in service first thing Monday morning but I could drop the truck off anytime Sunday night at the destination and I was given instructions on what to do with the keys.

I continued into Alabama and started my run up Interstate 65. I stopped in Hanceville, AL and followed directions to an industrial area where Grace Baptist Church set up a tent for a tent revival and I attended the evening service. The message was entitled, "What Happens When Revival Does Not Happen?" based on Revelation 2:1-7. After church I ate then continued north on Interstate 65 and lost over an hour in a major traffic jam starting in Hartselle as there was construction and a lane was closed. I took on fuel in Priceville and proceeded to Huntsville where I dropped the truck and spent the night.

Monday I found that air tickets were sky high out of HSV so the company put me in a rental car to ATL for a Tuesday morning flight. I saw Huntsville and took pictures then saw Fort Payne and Little River Canyon National Preserve and I photographed a waterfall there. I did not see the whole Preserve, just one waterfall due to time constraints. I continued into Georgia and got stuck in traffic due to construction just prior to getting on Interstate 20. I started having respiratory problems due to the high pollen count as it hadn't rained for a number of days. I spent a short night in East Point, GA.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; May 26, 2015 at 1:02 am
Old May 26, 2015, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Just What the Doctor Ordered: Back to the West Coast

Part V: Just What the Doctor Ordered: Back to the West Coast
12th May to 15th May

Tuesday early morning my alarm woke and I awoke at a very unsocial hour. The high pollen level was taking its toll on me. I got ready and having filled the fuel tank of the rental car before turning in the previous night I headed straight to the rental car return at ATL. I turned in the car and headed to the terminal where I checked in and checked my bags which weighed 45.5 and 39.5lbs. There was a quite long queue for security but the queue was moving and I ended up in a lane that had only a Metal Detector so I did not have to be patted down. Then I went downstairs and took the tram to Concourse C.

Southwest #194 ATL-MCI B-737-300 Boarding Pass A51
Seat 21F Cruising altitude 36,000 feet Estimated flying time 1:45, actual 1:45
Depart: Gate C2 Scheduled 08h25, actual 08h33 Taxi/hold: 23 minutes
Arrive: Gate 38 Scheduled 09h35, actual 09h44 Taxi: 2 minutes

We boarded via jetway and 75 of 137 seats were taken. I saw one of my bags being loaded. Pushback was 8 minutes late. I saw raindrops while boarding was going on. Takeoff was to the west and I saw Interstate 285 and at 0:04 we went into clouds and over clouds at 0:06. Clouds broke at 0:09 and I got pretzels at 0:12 and a cup of soda at 0:20. Clouds increased at 0:23 and seatbelt sign went off at 0:25.

I felt bumps and seatbelt sign went on at 0:50. I dozed off and the seatbelt sign must have gone off at some point. I felt descent and descent was announced and seatbelt sign went on at 1:23. During descent I saw Lake of the Ozarks. We landed to the west and arrived at gate 9 minutes late and deplaned via jetway.

Southwest #140 MCI-SAN B-737-800 Boarding Pass C12
Seat 27F Cruising altitude 34,000 feet Estimated flying time 2:59, actual 3:04
Depart: Gate 43 Scheduled 10h20, actual 10h19 Taxi: 10 minutes
Arrive: Gate 8 Scheduled 11h45, actual 11h36 Taxi: 2 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 15-16 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway and I got one of the last window seats in the back. All 175 seats were occupied. It was announced it was mostly cloudy and 64F at SAN. Pushback was 1 minute early and takeoff was to the west.

We crossed the Missouri River into Kansas airspace at 0:02 and crossed US75 north of Topeka at 0:09. I saw Manhattan, KS at 0:14 and we crossed US81 north of Salina, KS at 0:22 then turned more to the southwest and crossed Interstate 70 at 0:25 over central Kansas. I saw Russell, KS to the distance and Hays, KS farther out.

At 0:31 I got Ritz Chips and seatbelt sign finally went off at 0:41. I saw Garden City, KS at 0:45 and got cup of soda at 0:55 as clouds increased. I got pretzels at 0:56. At 1:13 I saw the Sangre de Cristo Mountains in southern Colorado. From 2:00 to 2:04 I saw the Painted Desert in Arizona.

At 2:06 I saw the San Francisco Peaks and also Interstate 40 and Flagstaff, AZ. Seatbelt sign went on at 2:07. At 2:09 I saw Bellemont, AZ and Williams, AZ farther out. I felt some bumps at 2:14 and seatbelt sign went off at 2:23. We crossed the Colorado River and I saw Lake Havasu City at 2:28.

At 2:36 I saw the junction of California 177 and California 62 and felt descent. We crossed Interstate 10 east of the Coachella Valley at 2:41. Descent was announced over the lower Coachella Valley. We turned due south at 2:45 over the Santa Rosa Mountains. I saw Borrego Springs. At 2:53 we crossed Interstate 8 and I saw the East County suburbs at 3:00. I saw Balboa Park on final and we landed basically east to west and arrived at gate 9 minutes early. We deplaned via jetway.

After I got my bags I exited the terminal and immediately noticed a big difference between the ocean air of San Diego and the high pollen count of Georgia. This flight was just what the doctor ordered and I immediately felt much better. I got Super Shuttle to the shipper where I got the next truck.

Trip: San Diego, CA to Oakland, CA 537 actual miles
Make: Ford F350
Model: Pickup Truck
Route: Interstate 15 to Interstate 215 back to Interstate 15 to US395 to California 58 to California 99 back to California 58 to Interstate 5 to Interstate 580 to Interstate 238 to Interstate 880
Maximum elevation: 4,064 at Tehachapi Summit California 58 east side of Tehachapi, CA
Highest diesel USA: $3.099/gallon at Chevron San Diego, CA
Lowest diesel USA: $3.009/gallon at Shell Buttonwillow, CA

I got the truck and headed for the nearest filling station with diesel as the low fuel warning light was on. Then I ate and after that I hopped on northbound Interstate 15. Traffic was heavy and there was congestion in Escondido. There was more congestion from Temecula to Murrieta. I made a pit stop in Perris. Then I continued north and shut down and got a steak and spent the night in San Bernardino, CA.

Wednesday morning I learned the truck turned "hot" as the receiver in Oakland wanted it that day. For all intents and purposes I might as well have been in Virginia because I was too far out to make it during business hours so I rang the receiver and was told to be there first thing the next morning. I headed up Cajon Pass then took US395 to California 58 and headed west towards Bakersfield where I continued a couple miles north on the 99 then west on the 58 where I joined Interstate 5 in Buttonwillow. There were some winds in the desert. I took on fuel in Buttonwillow then headed north on Interstate 5. Since this truck had only two axles I was not limited to 55mph as I would have with three axles or if I was towing anything. As I pulled into Oakland I saw fireworks as the Warriors won their NBA playoff game and I briefly got stuck in traffic as the crowds were just letting out. I spent the night in Oakland, CA.

Thursday I got up early and made the delivery when the receiver opened in Oakland, CA. I waited over an hour for a taxi to take me to OAK and I was concerned as rain was forecast to develop. Finally the taxi came and I got a rental car at OAK going to BFL. I stopped and took some pictures along the way. I saw Tracy, CA and heard thunder there so I got out of there. Next stop was Merced, CA and I took some pictures of downtown notwithstanding the rain. I stopped in Madera, CA and took pictures and it was not raining though it was windy. I continued south on the 99 and got rain and saw cloud to ground lightning in Fresno, CA. Clouds remained though it was no longer raining when I stopped in Kingsburg, CA to take pictures and it was raining lightly when I stopped in Traver, CA to have a Tri Tip sandwich at Bravo Farms. I got to hotel finally after experiencing more rain and spent the night in Bakersfield, CA.

Friday there was a little rain in the morning and I headed to the shipper and put my gear in the truck. Then I stopped at a filling station and was shocked at the gas prices. I turned in the rental car and hired a taxi back to the truck.

Trip: Bakersfield, CA to Oakland, CA 275 paid miles
Make: Chevy Silverado
Model: Pickup truck (utility)
Route: California 99 to California 46 to Interstate 5 to Interstate 580 to Interstate 238 to Interstate 880
Maximum elevation: 1,009 feet at Altamont Pass Interstate 580 between Livermore, CA and Tracy, CA
Highest price unleaded USA: $3.759/gallon at Chevron Oakland, CA
Lowest price unleaded USA: $3.419/gallon at Shell Santa Nella, CA

I finished the inspection and headed out. This was another truck that was not subject to the 55mph truck speed limit. I stopped in Kettleman City and got a Tri Tip sandwich from Bravo Farms. Then it was back to the grindstone and I continued north and got a shower or two. I stopped in Santa Nella for fuel then topped off the tank in Oakland before making delivery about a quarter hour before the close of business on a Friday afternoon. This time the taxi was quicker and I was dropped off at OAK.

I did not make it to OAK in time to catch the last B6 flight of the day to Long Beach but the company booked me a WN nonstop to LAX. I found out the SNA flights were sold out or overbooked so I stuck with the original flight to LAX.

I checked in and checked my bags which weighed 46.5 and 38.5lbs. I cleared security. I was sent to the Pre Check lane and went through the WTMD and was told I was selected for additional screening. In lieu of the scanner machine I opted for a pat down. After I cleared security I learned my flight was delayed as it was late leaving SEA.

During the wait I took some walks and saw both terminals. I finally settled on Burger King as the place to get my evening rations. There was a gate change and finally my plane came in.

Southwest #3119 OAK-LAX B-737-700 Boarding Pass A1
Seat 3A Cruising altitude 35,000 feet Estimated flying time not announced, actual 0:52
Depart: Gate 22 Scheduled 19h50, actual 21h27 Taxi: 9 minutes
Arrive: Gate 12A Scheduled 21h10, actual 22h36 Taxi: 8 minutes
Reclaim checked bags 26 minutes after arrival

We boarded via jetway and the plane was full. It was announced there was flow control to LAX due to air traffic. Pushback was 1h27min late followed by takeoff to north and turn west and south. We flew directly over San Francisco. I saw the lights of Bay Area cities. Seatbelt sign went off at 0:19. I felt descent begin at 0:27 abreast of Bakersfield, CA.

At 0:29 I got cup of soda and descent was announced at the same time and it was 59F and clear but to expect bumps on the way on the way to LAX. I saw the Santa Clarita Valley at 0:35 and the San Fernando/Simi Valleys at 0:37. We crossed US101 at 0:39 and turned left near Malibu. We headed east at 0:40 and I saw the San Fernando Valley. I saw the lights of downtown and Dodger Stadium at 0:45 and turned south at 0:46 and then turned west and we landed east to west. We arrived at gate 1h26min late and deplaned via jetway. I took a shuttle home and this ends this tour of duty.

Last edited by Loose Cannon; May 27, 2015 at 1:25 am
Old May 27, 2015, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Trip Report now complete
Old May 27, 2015, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You certainly get about the U.S. a bit!
Old May 28, 2015, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
After being cleared I went to Schlotzsky's for midday rations.
Yes! Schlotzsky's make an awesome everyday sandwich! Thank goodness we've got a Schlotzsky's in the A concourse at Denver's DIA. I always order one! Much better'n anything Alaska offers onboard in any class and well worth the $6.00 expenditure.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:28 am

just out of curiosity, in your many travels around the US, any place you would recommend to get good prime rib? sounds like your many ration stops make for good eating!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 7:22 pm

Programs: marriot
Schlotsky's

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Yes! Schlotzsky's make an awesome everyday sandwich! Thank goodness we've got a Schlotzsky's in the A concourse at Denver's DIA. I always order one! Much better'n anything Alaska offers onboard in any class and well worth the $6.00 expenditure.
Schlotsky's has a couple wonderful salads. I get the half size and its plenty big to satisfy my appetite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.