Budapest & Prague via UA J, OK Y & LH F

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Budapest & Prague via UA J, OK Y & LH F

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 9:08 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Two of my favorite European cities, love the Budapest pictures especially your shots from Castle Hill. I look forward to the rest of the pictures.

Incidentally, don't worry for a second what anyone thinks of your attire on the plane. Wear what you want and if people have time to worry what you're wearing, that's their loss.
Old May 22, 2015, 10:22 pm

No goulash? Paprika chicken?

Dobosh Torte?

Salami?

They are known for their salami.

Oh I forgot you are on a diet.

I need to be a lot more than you.

On Malev; the now bankrupt airline, for a snack 43 years ago they served a plate full of salami on a 30 minute flight from Vienna.

At the hotel for breakfast / room service there was a whole plate of salami.

Budapesht as they pronounce it looks a lot nicer now than it did in 1972 when I visited.

I would like to return as there are so many more interesting places and restaurants to visit.
Old May 24, 2015, 5:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Nice TR and great pics, especially from the great city of Budapest, gradually rising to magnificent glory again.

Made me hungry an longing for some Gulyásleves, Paprikás Csirke and Gundel palacsinta...
Old May 24, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by DTS
What UA calls BusinessFirst? Inappropriate. Not classy
Ah, you beat me to it. So true!

Great report, JVPhoto. I haven't yet made it to Budapest, but it's very high on my list - looks great.
Old May 24, 2015, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Czech Airlines Y BUD-PRG

Left the hotel at 7am for the 9am flight to PRG. Knowing that it the only OK flight and on an ATR42/72 I figured it wasn't going to be too crazy at the airport. I used the FoTaxi (the "official" taxi of the airport) app to request the cab. Once it was accepted you can track the cab he spent like 10 min going in the wrong direction, eventually picked me up at about 7:15.

There's an old Hungarian Airline playground cum graveyard just outside the airport which seems pretty cool. (Photo on day arriving when it was actually sunny).

There was a single line and agent checking bags for OK. I'm not really sure what J or Sky Priority people were to do in this case so no real benefit there other than looking like a DYKWIA and cutting the line.
So turns out flying with no status wasn't that bad after all!
I did have to pay about an extra $35 because my bag was 3kg over the 15kg limit. She asked about my carry on and I was scared she would weigh it but she gave me a gate check tag and slip there since it was a small aircraft.
Security took a few minutes, for 5 Euros you can buy a Fast Track ticket from a kiosk.
I'm not sure if there are even any wide body flights from this airport so I'm not really sure how busy it can ever get.

As someone mentioned salami upthread, it is still alive and well!

It seems like a clean and decent airport with a fair amount of shops and a big open layout with a food court up top. Was able to grab a few things and walk around and also have a tea before heading to the section of the A bus gates.

Boarding the bus was quick and orderly and on time. I got a few stares as I dumped my Itoen powder into my water bottle.

Less than a minute later we were next to the plane but took them about 3-4 min of finishing something up before they opened the bus to let us off.

Flight attendants came around through the aisle offering tea/coffee/juice/water and also some sort of biscuit thing. I declined both to stick with my green tea.

Flight time was about 1:15 min and pretty smooth sailing with a nice decent into Prague where the sun was shining.

Here's me in head to toe (except for Nike shoes) Yohji Yamamoto...more suited for wide body jumbo F than twin prop Y?

All in all a quick and easy service made it great to get there in just over an hour compared to worrying about points/status/etc and having to fly through MUC/ZRH/FRA or something like that to stay in *A.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Sheraton Prague Charles Square

I used Prague Airport Transfers for the pick up which was 800 CZK for a Mercedes E Class. You can book online, check/adjust your booking and you'll be met upon leaving baggage claim by the orange clip board brigade with your name on it. I'll overlook the bath of Aqua di Gio the driver had taken as Central European charm and the 9 air fresheners.

I originally had booked the Marriott here but canceled it when I needed some SPG nights to get gold status. I got to the hotel at about 12 so I was thinking I would drop the stuff off and walk around for a few hours. Well luckily the room was ready...and then the lady kept listing thing after thing...breakfast is included, WiFi (I knew that was because I booked via SPG), complimentary mini bar & massage. WHAT??
I wasn't going to complain.

When I got to the room which had a couch, 12' ceilings, huge windows, workspace, Illy espresso maker I went into my email and checked my booking. I had forgotten that they had a "Suite Life" special rate for basically $210/night when I booked.

Took advantage of the fitness center before my massage that evening. Really nice space with decent equipment, lots of weights and gear. The spa area isn't bad, decent but lacks a little polishing...not going to complain for a free 55 min massage.

When I got back to the room I had this waiting for me. I tried a bit of the cheese and couldn't handle the sausage after a whiff, plus I never drink beer and I've given up bread for a while. But it's the thought that counts!

Breakfast is a pretty standard affair but it did have a lot more cheese than most places. Omelettes were also available to order.

Location isn't bad. Was able to walk to Old Town Square in about 12 min...would probably take 17-20 at a more leisurely pace. Honestly I found Prague and the main area to be pretty crowded and I'm not sure I would want to be there the entire time. But, as you'll see in the next post I wasn't that fond of Prague and doubt I'll be in the market to find hotels here again.
Old May 24, 2015, 12:56 pm
Suspended

Years ago when I was visiting Prague, I found the city overcrowded as well. And the people rude, unpleasant and jaded. Never ever set a foot in that city again.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:32 am
Original Poster

Prague

Way too many people for my liking. Glad I did more time in Budapest than here, I don't think it is someplace I will come back to but I am glad I finally went. The castle and cathedral make a great skyline but little else really gave me a wow factor.
Apparently this isn't even the busy season yet, I would hate to see it in June/July.

I would recommend climbing the 300 steps to the castle cathedral tower. It's 150 CZK and gives you a pretty great view of the city and you get to see some of the other tops of the building up close.

Happy to find a few things that weren't all pork knuckle and potato bread dumplings.

I made my way to the castle the first day (and would return there with the tour the next) and decided to take in the view and relax I would allow myself a glass of rose in the vineyard that blankets the hillside.

Interesting choice to put in front of the toy museum.

For 1200 CZK you can rent the car for the guided tour which seemed like an interesting way to go about.

Per the recommendation up thread I did go and have dinner at Bredosvky Dvúr and had a delicious duck with balsamic pears and a wild boar with cabbage.

All in 500 CZK

Booking through Prague Airport Transfers you get a voucher for a free daily 4h walking tour. It meets in the Old Town Square so you can watch the Astronomical Clock go off and then takes you around to sites in Old Town, the Jewish Quarter and then over Charles Bridge to Kampe Island and then up to the Castle.

Having to get up at 3:40am, wanting to get some work done and not feeling like any of the Czech traditional (tourist) food I walked by Modry Zub noodle bar and got some Penang curry and tom kha (spicy!) soup for take out to take back to the hotel.
Old May 25, 2015, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Lufthansa Business Class PRG-FRA A321

I forgot when booking the flight that I would have to get up at about 4am to make it for the 6am flight. The airport transfer was ready and waiting and it was a sleepy 23 min drive to Terminal 2.

With the J/F lane there were two agents so it was speedy with 3 people in front of me. Agent had on a LX name tag, bag slip had OS on it. No mention of use of the lounge or FastTrack (both of which you get).

Lounge opens at 5am.

Gives you about 30 min to have a coffee or a snack before boarding at the far end of the terminal.

People talk about UA gate lice with the 1-5 boarding groups, but LH/LX seem to have their fare share as well. Including people who hear the GA get on the mic and just run up to any lane even though they haven't been called yet.

Seats must be showing their age, FA asked two men to put their seats up for take off but they didn't have them reclined it was just bowing back from them sitting in it.

Bye bye mustard (I'm assuming) fields of Prague!

Skimming the clouds for a few minutes felt like going on a boat, quite serene.

<object width="620" height="336"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allownetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.mobypicture.com/static/flash/player.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" /><param name="flashvars" value="file=http://vid.mobypicture.com/dbecaf053558096067950485cf213ea5.mp4&image=http://vid.mobypicture.com/dbecaf053558096067950485cf213ea5_movie.jpg" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.mobypicture.com/static/flash/player.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="620" height="336" allowScriptAccess="always" allownetworking="all" allowfullscreen="true" flashvars="file=http://vid.mobypicture.com/dbecaf053558096067950485cf213ea5.mp4&image=http://vid.mobypicture.com/dbecaf053558096067950485cf213ea5_movie.jpg" /></object>

Decent little breakfast for the 55 min or so in the air.

I had been checking the days before to see if LH1403 was pulling into bus gates, which it was...and happy to see it again today which meant the S55 AMG transfer to the terminals.

Two people who got off ahead of me were also in the car so they got in the backseat and I took the front with the driver. Two people from the flight also tried to dump their bags but he pointed them to the bus and asked each of us by our last name.

Parked pretty far out so had a nice few minutes driving around FRA to see the comings and goings which is a rare opportunity at ground level. Both other pax were getting off at B, so he went there to let them out to wait for the busses to move from A so he could circle back and let me out since I mentioned I was going to the FCT.

Old May 25, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Good stuff JV! Prague looks really nice. Haven't been there since 2008 so I guess it's time for a re-visit soon. In fact it's the only former Soviet block country that I've actually enjoyed visiting. Love the Yohji Yamamoto outfit. Did you wear it on LH F?
Old May 25, 2015, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
The Stranger by Camus! Great taste!
Old May 25, 2015, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

To whet your appetites from earlier in the thread about attire in F/J here's a nice chap from the LH FCT today.

And here is someone across the aisle from me...well in his defense that is what he changed into instead of the LH pjs.

Old May 26, 2015, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Lufthansa First Class Terminal

Easy enough to walk to from A, I had driven in before. Was happily met by 3 people and one nice lady would be my PA for the for hours I was there.

Feeling a bit hungry now that I was off the flight from Prague and having about 3.5 hours I sat down for some food before relaxing in the bath.

In addition there was the full buffet and a whole host of other egg dishes, fresh juice and what not. Very attentive and personalized service.

At that time there was only about 2 other people and then people started to fill in.

Ahhhhhhhh....love the bubbles and love the salt, spent about 30 min just soaking and relaxing. No special edition ducky.

I spent the rest of the time bouncing around having some water/tea and catching up on a bit of random things. 10:50 was flight time and at 10:30 4 of us were taken downstairs to passport control and the cars. There would be 4 of us in a van, I was the only one in F so I assume the others were HON in J.

Van last time, van this time, I imagine van in July as I'll be on a 748i route.

Had a decent ride leaving from the C gates.

Just me, a dumpster and the largest passenger plane in the world.

Old May 26, 2015, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Lufthansa First Class FRA-JFK A380

I like this cabin I think a bit more than the 748i. It feels even more open for some reason, the no overhead bins but the lockers are a nice touch.

Push back was a few minutes late. The crew did a great job coming by and introducing themselves. The purser stopped by to each of us and chatted for a minute or so.
Amenity kits and PJs given out.

The two large bathrooms are great. I loved that there was a urinal for me, very easy for us.

Menus were passed out, in addition to the Louis Roederer 2007 there was a single print out for the 1999 Pommery which is what I had a few glasses of.

Nice salmon amuse bouche.

Friendly male FA was doing the aisle service along with someone prepping in the galley and another lady who was also bouncing about.
I think I got a double of caviar.

The duck starter was very good, the grain too salty. The cheese and vegetables were nice and the seafood was great.

Tasty with a pinch too much salt.

Trying to figure out what to eat (being in moderation) I went with the pasta with the intent that I would pick out the filling...

which I did and then got a quizzical look where the FA thought I didn't like it and was happy to offer me any other entree I would like. We then had a talk and a laugh about trying to cut out the bread and carbs in the diet.

Feeling a bit salty in the meal I did have a tiny cheat with a few bites of the sweets.

I got a few hours of sleep but glad I woke up when I did just by 12 noon EST because I needed to register for my upcoming Soul Cycle classes before the spots were filled. I had a friend on deck to do it at home if needed but luckily the flight had WiFi (a bit slow but it worked) so I was able to do it myself on the app.

LH was reading my mind, a nice smart pre-arrival meal.

The greens (with a few flowers) were beautiful, it was all carefully presented and plated as ordered. Great swordfish to go with it and the pumpkin as well.

Upon landing at JFK I saw a Saudia plane on the tarmac not near the gates with plenty of fire engines, a ton of police cars, a few busses and the stairs at the doors. Figuring something happened I got on Twitter and was able to see the news about the threads made against them and Air France who both underwent the same treatment upon landing at JFK.

For some reason or another it took about 10 min for them to get the jetway to the door. For a second I was worried there was bigger issues with threats or things at JFK and we would be stuck on the plane for a bit but it was just chalked up to ground crew mucking about.

My bag didn't get an HON tag in PRG but it was the 2nd bag off after the HON with the orange Star Alliance priority tag.

Off to Singapore in the morning!
Old May 26, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
We don't do a TR photo of the year thread to we? We should start one....I nominate this photo!

Originally Posted by JVPhoto

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.