Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My worst flight experience ever: Cathay Pacific A33 business class Doha to Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My worst flight experience ever: Cathay Pacific A33 business class Doha to Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:42 pm
Suspended

For what it is worth the two times I have flown BA First and used the Concorde Room (at LHR) I only needed to show my boarding pass.

Back in Dec we flew SQ J from SFO and I didn't need my passport. Also flew SQ J from SIN same month and didn't need my passport. In Jan we fly CX J from MEL and didn't need my passport. Also flew CX first from HKG and didn't need my passport.

Could be a case of passenger profiling where at times they would ask for a passport?

Last edited by FlyerTalker7654; Jul 4, 2015 at 6:44 pm Reason: .
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:14 am

Originally Posted by SgtRyan

Could be a case of passenger profiling where at times they would ask for a passport?
Possibly. Air travel sucks for brown people as does hotel check in if you booked with a credit card.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Firstclasser
Possibly. Air travel sucks for brown people as does hotel check in if you booked with a credit card.
eh? You've lost me with the booking a hotel with a credit card??
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:07 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by louislitt
I suppose that depends on your destination surely? E.g. B.A don't let people into the Concord Lounge without passport and ticket.
Firstly, it is Concorde Room.
Secondly, a passport is not required to enter, only a valid onward boarding pass and in some circumstances the prior boarding pass or CCR card. You can use the Concorde Room when travelling on a domestic itinerary for example which does not require a passport.

Every single time I have used a lounge including the Business class lounge in Doha they have asked for my onward boarding pass and passport.
I have never experienced this at the QR lounges in Doha and have never been to any lounge that requires a passport to enter. Also, the OP did not state they handed over their passport to enter the lounge so not even sure why you made that comment.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 8:10 am

I don't know about profiling but I could see a policy where a lounge dragon would need to actually confirm that the boarding pass in hand actually belongs to the passenger holding it (for all passengers). This would require producing identification, such as a passport. I have personally never had to do this, but I'd not find it to be an illogical policy. Sort of like how, despite the fact that most merchants never check ID on credit cards, the onus really is on them to verify that the person handing them the card is in fact the cardholder.

I think the poster might be asserting that properties would be suspicious when they don't already have the money in their pocket (i.e. via an OTA booking or prepaid rate).
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:36 am

I prefer prepaying for hotels. I also like staying in luxury hotels. I don't look the part. To be honest, it was only the one time and I assume the check in agent was still green, but had a long check in process.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 5:56 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
I prefer prepaying for hotels. I also like staying in luxury hotels. I don't look the part. To be honest, it was only the one time and I assume the check in agent was still green, but had a long check in process.
Many hotels will require a credit card at checkin for minibar, incidentals, etc. Nothing to do with not 'looking the part'.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: IHG Spire | Marriott Plat | UA Plat | AA Plat Pro
Clearly YMMV, but I've never in my life shown my passport to go into a lounge.
Reminds me of an office mate that I use to have who had to travel for work a lot. His name is Ashley (I suspect his was a difficult pregnancy and the mother did it as revenge ) and he always gets asked for his passport since most agents are expecting a female passenger, poor guy.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: MU G AC 50K IC A HH D totally a free agent
It seems OP is not a frequent of CX. A few things about CX:
1. Midnight departures only have single-tray supper service, instead of three-course dinner.
2. CX's business class offering is solid, but nowhere near inspiring, as it also offers a first class cabin and needs to differentiate them. So set expectation accordingly.
3. CX cares about its own Marco Polo members wayyyyy more that it cares about oneworld elites. So if OP was a CX Diamond instead of AA EP, things would be VERY different.
4. CX's convention of row numbers are: first class starts from 1, biz from 11, PE from 31, and economy from 39. Since CX 333 does not offer a first class cabin, its row number naturally starts from 11.
5. The middle biz seats could be moved forward by a few inches to facilitate communication if you are traveling with someone, so you COULD actually see your seat mate if both of you choose to.
6. Given CX only has one daily departure from DOH, I suppose its ground service is being contracted to a third party (very likely DOH airport or QR). Only the supervisors are actually CX personnels, and all others are likely third party employees.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 3:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Um, the OP posted this 18 months ago!
Old Oct 10, 2016, 12:18 pm
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Um, the OP posted this 18 months ago!
Yes and if I recall some questions on the OP's story were raised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.