Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

My worst flight experience ever: Cathay Pacific A33 business class Doha to Hong Kong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My worst flight experience ever: Cathay Pacific A33 business class Doha to Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by akersnl
..Or just go buy a ticket on a different flight with miles or cash, and sort it all out later? As a OW Emerald, you should be a seasoned traveler and know how to think outside the box.
OP is not a CX Emerald ... this would result in huge financial loss as no compensation would likely flow toward the OP.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Sounds like a 24 hour delay was unavoidable under the circumstances but, as is typical in these situations, the airline did a poor job of communicating with the passengers. Good communication costs so little and will determine a passenger's impression of the airline's handling of the situation far more than any hotel or meal vouchers.

That said, I think it's odd that you complain in such graphic terms about the hotel and minibus experience yet don't provide a single picture of either in your trip report. Especially considering you did not leave unphotographed a single detail about the QR lounge or the CX onboard experience.
Old May 1, 2015, 1:06 am
Suspended

Programs: VX Gold
Originally Posted by akersnl
Or just go buy a ticket on a different flight with miles or cash, and sort it all out later? As a OW Emerald, you should be a seasoned traveler and know how to think outside the box.
Buying a ticket now and sorting it out later almost never works out in favor of the traveller. Terrible advice.

Last edited by bayhouse; May 1, 2015 at 1:12 am
Old May 1, 2015, 3:22 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by bayhouse
Buying a ticket now and sorting it out later almost never works out in favor of the traveller. Terrible advice.
I couldn't even tell you how many times I've done this (it's a lot) and have never once had a problem sorting it out, be it with the airline or through travel insurance
Old May 1, 2015, 3:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
1. If a one-day delay that included a hotel and food voucher in a non-third-world country is your "worst travel experience ever," then I've gotta say you've either had pretty sheltered travel experiences or are easily ruffled or both.

2. This is confirmed by the fact that (1) you chose to stand in a long line for a hotel at what sounds like 3 a.m. (!) instead of just going to a normal food-bearing hotel; (2) you apparently sought out a special business class line at the airport when one didn't exist (who does that? if there isn't one there isn't one, just do something else instead of waiting in line); and (3) you stood in a line waiting for a van in a dust storm instead of getting your own ride.

I read your complaint because I thought there would be some really gnarly story (flight attendant punched you in the jaw, plane diverted to remote island with only rancid coconut juice to consume, etc.). How disappointed I am.

Edited to add: "The taxi fare from the airport to any destination in Doha should not exceed QR25 (US$7)." (http://www.qatartourism.gov.qa/en-us...ound/taxi.aspx) You gotta make your own way, bro.
+1 to that (which really made me laugh!)
Old May 1, 2015, 3:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
I think in hindsight, since you were booked on Qatar, I would have gone straight to a Qatar desk to find out if they could change you to a different/earlier flight since you were inconvenienced, etc and you were unsure of your actual departure time.

Last edited by wolf72; May 1, 2015 at 4:29 am
Old May 1, 2015, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by Jinxy
I'm more perplexed as to why most of your report has been copied and pasted from airline websites about the lounges, seats and on board offerings. Word for word.
It is truly strange. An example is here

http://www.qatarairways.com/global/e...l-mourjan.page
Old May 1, 2015, 4:31 am

My 2 cents.
Most of you gave a fantastic solution to remedy the ordeal: be 'proactive' - take a taxi, book a hotel, phone CX somewhere where their offices work, go to QR desk etc.

Well, let's treat this report as a report of a mistery customer. An average passenger - not accustomed to any 'proactivity', just expecting a proper handling of things for which the arline took their money in advance. No grace.

Had he and some few others been proactive, they would hv probably escaped the whole havoc and negligence of CX and we would have had no report of the situation at all or a happy report, like 'How smart I am when Cathay Pacific dumps 200 passengers'.
:-)
Old May 1, 2015, 5:33 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Sounds like a fairly poor extended-delay experience, but you come across as a bit of a DYKWIA.
Isn't status for getting better amenities - both in terms of the hard products such as lounges as well as the soft products such as good customer service? Do you expect to be treated the same at the Four Seasons as you would at a Motel 6? If no, isn't that also DYKWIA?
Old May 1, 2015, 5:58 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by wolf72
I think in hindsight, since you were booked on Qatar, I would have gone straight to a Qatar desk to find out if they could change you to a different/earlier flight since you were inconvenienced, etc and you were unsure of your actual departure time.
Having dealt with sand-storm related delays in the ME myself, which I recall were deemed 'extraordinary circumstances', the customer service desks were a mob-scene because every flight was impacted. As others have articulated, the ME carriers do not handle irregular opps well at all. Since, the airlines are not going to recover from the storms quickly get online and book a hotel to your liking immediately and, just pay, I think it's QR 100, for an entry visa and start then calling Qatar Airways, or whoever you purchased the ticket from:
http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/contact-us.page
The Oryx Rotana is a decent place to over-night and Doha isn't that big, so you have a wide selection of hotels to pick from to meet one's 'luxury' standards.
If you're told to get in a line hundreds deep, pick-up the phone immediately and leave. At least, that's what I did at the time as a lowly oneWorld Sapphire.
Old May 1, 2015, 6:50 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
The blog you reference as yours is the "Luxury Travel Expert". I can see where your rant comes from. From a non-expert, you almost never get great irrop recovery from a foreign airport where your airline doesn't have extensive ops. I can't imagine how you're an expert if you waited in every line, in a sandstorm. Why didn't you go to QR which has its home base in Qatar if you had a QR flight #?
Old May 1, 2015, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Jinxy
I'm more perplexed as to why most of your report has been copied and pasted from airline websites about the lounges, seats and on board offerings. Word for word.
How about that...

Originally Posted by theLuxuryTravelExpert
Each seat comes with a nice blanket and a decent pillow. The Business Class amenity kit has been created by Seventy Eight Percent, a Hong Kong-based design company that creates high-quality bags for globetrotting professionals.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...l-flights.html
Old May 1, 2015, 7:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

While airlines tend to be rather unreliable when it comes to this, many credit cards such as CSP for example have features built into them that allow you to recover expenses of up to $500 in case of weather-related delays:

http://milecards.com/15923/flight-de...your-expenses/
Old May 1, 2015, 8:23 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by darthlemsip
Originally Posted by bayhouse
I couldn't even tell you how many times I've done this (it's a lot) and have never once had a problem sorting it out, be it with the airline or through travel insurance
I did it very few times.

And never was I able to recoup a single cent from either the airline or my travel insurance.
Old May 1, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, AC *S, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by weero
I did it very few times.

And never was I able to recoup a single cent from either the airline or my travel insurance.
+1. I learned my lesson pretty quickly to sort things out at the time rather than spend more money and figure it out later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.