Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Our Shop 'til you drop weekend in Florence via Lufthansa First Class

Our Shop 'til you drop weekend in Florence via Lufthansa First Class

Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
What a day, meeting LH's finest and learning about the existence of Conchita Wurst... Good thing at least the Schnitzel was decent....
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:49 am

SFO777, your narrative is a treat.

I highly appreciate it that you reveal prices of meals/hotels/tours you partake. It adds an extra perspective in perceiving things if you know how much they charge for various items at various places around the world.

For example, Villa Kennedy...the rack rate is €275 and the room is supposed to be some 35 sq.m. but your photo shows it a bit... cramped. Illusion of the photography?
Also, am I right that the room's decor was just so-so?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
This is a wonderful report, as usual.

The Palazzo Magnani Feroni looks like the real deal to me, true hotel happiness; and that linguini with clam sauce actually looked pretty good.

I really do need to get back to Italy even if it will involve a plane change!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:40 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprngli Connaisseur
Originally Posted by SFO777
Great scenery along the route.

A week earlier and I would have been in this picture, as we were on a quick trip to Locarno.

Great Trip Report as always! I'm tempted to hop on the train down to Florence just for one of those sandwiches.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:39 pm
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO777

Even after a bite, no idea what this was.

Obatzda
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
For those of you wondering what that is exactly (myself included)

Obatzda is a Bavarian cheese delicacy. It is prepared by mixing two thirds aged soft cheese, usually Camembert and one third butter. Sweet or hot paprika powder, salt, pepper are the traditional seasonings as well as a small amount of beer. Wikipedia

Great trip report once again sfo777
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Digital01
I feel like you've had patch of bad luck on F flights recently, between this guy in what was likely the Porsche to pick you up, the guy on his phone in Emirates F, etc. Hope your journey across the pond was better!
Thanks Digital01. Return flight was excellent. Coming up soon.

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Excellent as usual.
I really enjoy the narrative, it's my favourite part!
The limo driver for LH sounds atypical - did you have a chance to enquire?
Thank you Flyingfox for your kind comments. In all our years flying thru FRA and MUC, this is the first bad driver we've ever encountered.

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Really great trip report!
Your hotel suite in Florence seems quite beautiful, except for that bed, that looks small and uncomfortable, and that TV stuck on that small night stand is quite tacky!
Thanks rittenhousesq. The bed was actually very comfortable... a lot better than it looked.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Mrs SFO took a nap? She was just there for a weekend and she snoozed through shopping time! I've said it before.. I'm happy to trade places with Mrs SFO so I too can go shopping in Italy. I'm very jealous of her! She can come to Australia and go on a holiday with my husband.
I loved the hotel.
LOL. I don't know what to say on the wife swapping offer.
She only napped that first afternoon. Believe me, she didn't nap again during shopping hours.

Originally Posted by LH4116
Really terrible that you didn't get a Porsche ride to the terminal, or more accurately the driver refusing to take you. I think you should write a complaint to Lufthansa. Also is it possible to access the FCL the day before e.g if you have an overnight connection, or is it only for same-day departures and arrivals?
I do plan on writing to LH about the driver. You can only access the FCL or FCT the day you arrive or depart on LH/LX First.

Originally Posted by offerendum
Didnt visit the lounge in Florence as I didnt realize, that its outside security But didnt miss much
You didn't miss a thing. Indeed, the shopping area before "the gates" seemed a lot more interesting.

Originally Posted by JohnRain
What a day, meeting LH's finest and learning about the existence of Conchita Wurst... Good thing at least the Schnitzel was decent....
Thanks JohnRain. The Schnitzel saved the day... until we saw Conchita of course.

Originally Posted by abeyro
SFO777, your narrative is a treat.
I highly appreciate it that you reveal prices of meals/hotels/tours you partake. It adds an extra perspective in perceiving things if you know how much they charge for various items at various places around the world.
For example, Villa Kennedy...the rack rate is 275 and the room is supposed to be some 35 sq.m. but your photo shows it a bit... cramped. Illusion of the photography? Also, am I right that the room's decor was just so-so?
Thank you very much abeyro. Yeah, the room was pretty tiny. But more than adequate for a short night stay.

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
This is a wonderful report, as usual.
The Palazzo Magnani Feroni looks like the real deal to me, true hotel happiness; and that linguini with clam sauce actually looked pretty good.
I really do need to get back to Italy even if it will involve a plane change!
Thanks so much FallenPlat.

Originally Posted by greg5
A week earlier and I would have been in this picture, as we were on a quick trip to Locarno. Great Trip Report as always! I'm tempted to hop on the train down to Florence just for one of those sandwiches.
Thank you greg5 and for identifying Locarno.

Originally Posted by DTS
Obatzda
Originally Posted by mike&co
For those of you wondering what that is exactly (myself included) Obatzda is a Bavarian cheese delicacy. It is prepared by mixing two thirds aged soft cheese, usually Camembert and one third butter. Sweet or hot paprika powder, salt, pepper are the traditional seasonings as well as a small amount of beer. Wikipedia.Great trip report once again sfo777
Thank you DTS and mike&co.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:50 am

What did you think of the Penfolds 2010 Bin 389? Lucky that you got it on LH F - QF list it but don't often stock it on their F services..
Great report btw, looking forward to more!
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Beautiful trip report SFO777! Outside of our family home in Bassano del Grappa. Florence is our favorite city in Italy. The last time we were in Florence, we stayed at the Four Seasons, which was a short walk from La Giostra. The only time we dined at an Anitori restaurant was in Zurich!

Will there be a special girls of Florence TR?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I for one really liked the photos of the Villa Kennedy's decor. My understanding is that Rocco Forte's sister leads the design team for the RF hotels, and I do like her mix of modern textures with more classic pieces (I have a VERY low tolerance for over-the-top rococo exces).
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:51 pm

Programs: M&M
Great report (as always!) SFO777! It's always interesting when a TR is mainly focused on my hometown next time you come to FLR drop me a line and I will suggest a few eateries. Did you go to the Mercato Centrale http://www.mercatocentrale.it/en/ ?

Our airport will be renewed "soon", a new 2,400 meters runaway (kind of parallel to the highway) should be released by the end of 2016.

I am glad you enjoyed Firenze!

Ciao,

Giovanni

ps. next time give Four Seasons a try, they have an amazing restaurant as well!

Last edited by taxi_driver; Apr 30, 2015 at 4:19 pm
Old Apr 30, 2015, 5:19 pm
sgh
Suspended

Programs: AA 2 MM, AA Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Another great trip report!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:59 pm
Suspended

I assume savings can only be had on ultra luxury European designer clothing?
As my experience shopping in Europe is that everything is actually more expensive in Europe, in part due to the extreme VAT rates.
For example, jeans is definitely cheaper in Boston than in Amsterdam.

Last edited by Dieuwer; May 1, 2015 at 6:10 am Reason: Grammar
Old May 1, 2015, 1:52 am

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
As my experience shopping in Europe is that everything is actually more expensive in Europe, in part due to the extreme VAT rates.
I mean, jeans is def. cheaper in Boston than in Amsterdam.

I remember (15 yrs ago?) buying a pair of Levi's at a mall in Texas for 30$ (if less) while back home RRP was around 90. Levi's used to be a premium product in Europe. Jeep is positioned in the "premium-luxury" segment here in Italy, I bet it's not the same in the US.
Even with VAT most high end designer clothes are cheaper. If you hold a non EU passport you also get VAT refund, and that's 22% (!!!) off the retail price!
Old May 1, 2015, 6:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
For example, jeans is definitely cheaper in Boston than in Amsterdam.
Another example is electronics. Cameras and tablets like iPads are much cheaper in the US than in Europe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.