Our Shop 'til you drop weekend in Florence via Lufthansa First Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Our Shop 'til you drop weekend in Florence via Lufthansa First Class

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2015, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
I haven't been over to the trip report forum for awhile (I've been busy on my own trip over the past month and a half!) but what a nice welcome back your latest report has been! A truly stellar effort, beautifully photographed and described - a real tour de force. Thank you, SFO777!

BTW, your reports are the reason I went out of my way to fly Lufthansa's First Class between Buenos Aires and Frankfurt last year. ^
Old May 7, 2015, 11:36 am
Original Member

SFO777 - thanks for the great trip report. Got to enjoy a few glimpses of my favorite city.
Old May 7, 2015, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by texmanufan
Great trip report. We just left Florence yesterday and although our stop there also had to do with the favorable exchange rate and leather shopping we didn't know about the mall. Btw we took the bus a few blocks away from the Westin Excelsior. 10 Euros round trip, leaves mostly every 30 minutes and takes 50.

Tom Hanks is in town for filming of the third Da Vinci Code movie. Had quite an area sectioned off at the Duomo for filming.

Love this thread and everything I learned from it - and the restaurant I wouldn't have known about. Was surprised how expansive the Antinori wine offerings were. They even had Col Solare for much cheaper than I have seen on a U.S. Wine list. And no I didn't come all the way here to drink their American wines. Great wines by the glass of some of their best wines.
So you went to their restaurant? It was our favorite in Florence. Good for you.
Was the architectural model of the Estate still in the lobby?
Old May 8, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: AA EP/4MM, DL GM/1MM, HH ♦, Bonvoy LT PLT, Hyatt Globalist, AMEX Bus Plt
Originally Posted by LANDJ999
So you went to their restaurant? It was our favorite in Florence. Good for you.
Was the architectural model of the Estate still in the lobby?
Didn't notice this but our table was near the entrance and I was seated with my back to the remainder of the restaurant. When I looked up the restaurant on their website to find location I also noticed they are located in Moscow, Zurich, and Vienna (which I will surely hit during Christmas market trip this year).
Old May 9, 2015, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HMPS
Yes we could use some entertainment" at your expense. just make sure there is nothing sharp lying around Mrs SFO if things do not measure up Alternately get some tax breaks if you can give away the 2-4-1 in a charity raffle. A thread alone on exchange with BAEC to do this would be welcome.
LOL. Thanks HMPS. For now, the entertainment-at-my-expense will have to wait.

Originally Posted by texmanufan
Great trip report. We just left Florence yesterday and although our stop there also had to do with the favorable exchange rate and leather shopping we didn't know about the mall. Btw we took the bus a few blocks away from the Westin Excelsior. 10 Euros round trip, leaves mostly every 30 minutes and takes 50. Tom Hanks is in town for filming of the third Da Vinci Code movie. Had quite an area sectioned off at the Duomo for filming.
Love this thread and everything I learned from it - and the restaurant I wouldn't have known about. Was surprised how expansive the Antinori wine offerings were. They even had Col Solare for much cheaper than I have seen on a U.S. Wine list. And no I didn't come all the way here to drink their American wines. Great wines by the glass of some of their best wines.
Thanks very much texmanufan. Glad you had a great time.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I haven't been over to the trip report forum for awhile (I've been busy on my own trip over the past month and a half!) but what a nice welcome back your latest report has been! A truly stellar effort, beautifully photographed and described - a real tour de force. Thank you, SFO777!
BTW, your reports are the reason I went out of my way to fly Lufthansa's First Class between Buenos Aires and Frankfurt last year. ^
Seat 2A, thank you so much for your kind comments. It is hard to beat the overall LH First experience.

Originally Posted by Djlawman
SFO777 - thanks for the great trip report. Got to enjoy a few glimpses of my favorite city.
Thank you Djlawman.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:30 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks 1P and for the Penfolds endorsement. Will definitely have to try it on our next LH flight in June.
When you do, make sure they decant it, because Bin 389 throws quite a bit of sediment in the bottle.
Old May 11, 2015, 1:44 pm

Thanks for sharing.
Old May 13, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Come on SFO , we want to enjoy the BA Irops, warm champagne, perfect Brit food small oshibori 25 F seats where there is room for 10 , london taxi transfer to the plane
full on SFO777 vitriole !!!!
Old May 13, 2015, 8:56 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
Come on SFO , we want to enjoy the BA Irops, warm champagne, perfect Brit food small oshibori 25 F seats where there is room for 10 , london taxi transfer to the plane
be careful what you ask for, you just might get it !
Old May 18, 2015, 7:19 am

I found your comments about Conchita Wurst to be extremely offensive and transphobic:

Relaxing in the room after dinner, Mrs. SFO made the mistake of turning on German TV. What the heck??? . . .

Had no idea who he/she was until Mrs. SFO opened the LH inflight Media magazine to see a story about bearded drag queen Conchita Wurst, winner of the 2014 Eurovision Song Contest. OK, quickly veering into T.M.I. territory.
So somebody expressing herself risks being tagged a "he/she" and her expression somehow becomes "T.M.I."?

Old May 18, 2015, 10:30 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by hairpeace
I found your comments about Conchita Wurst to be extremely offensive and transphobic:

So somebody expressing herself risks being tagged a "he/she" and her expression somehow becomes "T.M.I."?

You have a right to your opinions....He has the same rights !

There are hundreds of followers of SFO777's TRs. we accept what he says. This PC business has come to absurd levels.

Back on topic, how long did the TV show last ?
Old May 20, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by hairpeace

I think herself, but not sure. !
Old May 20, 2015, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO777
Thanks so much HMPS for your generous comments. (Blushing )
As for our UK friends, I actually toyed with returning on BA. They had a well timed but short 75 minute connection from LIN. In the end I chickened out when the French ATC announced a strike for that date. The last thing I wanted was another date with BA IRROPS.
UA IRROPS so far has been far worse-I flew 4 TPAC RT flights with them over 2013-2014.
3/4 had problems-one MX to HKG that caused me to miss my connection to SFO (6 hours as well, that turned into 24 hours as UA refused to accommodate me on SQ/CX-their only options were AC direct to YVR on the 77P or a stay in HKG at their expense. I opted for the latter.)
Second at NRT where the flight as delayed from 1710 to 1800 (due to MX again at NRT), then to 1910... until it was 2200 and the queue for a hotel was horrendous, and a very limited stay in Tokyo, as the rebooked flight was scheduled to depart NRT at 1200 and arrived SFO at 0640.
Third SFOPEK being delayed 7 hours causing me to miss my KA flight to HKG and causing an overnight in PEK.
Old May 21, 2015, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Another great TR, SFO777.

One footnote I couldn't help chuckling over was Mrs. SFO777's delay in getting herself organized for de-boarding. My wonderful wife also has problems with that process, as well as organizing herself upon boarding, finding her boarding pass while entering the security line, etc. Well, no one's perfect (certainly including us!).
Old May 22, 2015, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 1P
When you do, make sure they decant it, because Bin 389 throws quite a bit of sediment in the bottle.
1P, thanks for the tip.

Originally Posted by mromalley
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you mromalley.

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
Originally Posted by HMPS
be careful what you ask for, you just might get it !
Soooo tempting.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Another great TR, SFO777.
One footnote I couldn't help chuckling over was Mrs. SFO777's delay in getting herself organized for de-boarding. My wonderful wife also has problems with that process, as well as organizing herself upon boarding, finding her boarding pass while entering the security line, etc. Well, no one's perfect (certainly including us!).
LOL. Thank you Thunderroad. Amazingly, she was a completely different animal on Sunday. She had the aisle and, after a little coaching, was the first up and in the aisle when the seat belt sign went off. Who is this person??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.