Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A Tale of Ten Airlines: Mostly around the world in Y minus

Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles and frowns, IHG aluminum

I think I was inspired by that one thread of a mileage run by flyigglesfly (must be that NJ angst). Going crazy at this point in airports so let's hit this.
I guess I should've live blogged it but oh well. You'll just have to hold onto your excitement.

I bought one of those cheapo RTW Alitalia deals last summer, I was flying on last available day of the schedule for that one so I've just finished that up.

FLIGHT ONE:
DL LAX-JFK

I haven't been in terminal 5 in like, ever, basically flying *A since it was either cheapest or only option where I needed to go. Then we got hit with the flyer friendly plan which encouraged me to befriend another airline or 8. I also graduated med school and was looking forward to some extended backpacking, having the ticket not return to the US was perfect.

So it was a surprise that DL was actually pretty comfy compared to UA. I just assumed all us airlines were equally shitey. Seat was comfy, TV/movie selection was good, FA's didn't seem to hate life like I often see on UA. Relative win, Delta, I'm proud of you. I decided to set the mood with two episodes of Fargo and my last LA lunch which was a salad box from Lemonade, a tasty restaurant located near my old place in LA, and apparently also my departure gate. Sans yoga moms.

We arrived early and it was on to the Italians...
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:27 am
Original Poster

FLIGHT TWO: AZ JFK-FCO

Well, things had to get real at some point. I politely asked at the Alitalia desk when transferring if I could get my FF number (which I have lost)so I could credit my flights, she said the only thing they could do was send a new card to my apartment. The apartment I no longer have, in the city I dont live in anymore. When I ask I it can be sent elsewhere, she said no, it has to be sent to the one on tour profile. Why didn't I change it? facepalm

Anyway, it was off to some godforsaken part of JFK.... wait, that doesn't really clarify anything. Off to some really remote area of JFK for the Alitalia flight. The flight is largely Italians and they start the queue boisterously. I know what to do and don't let any of the inevitable line-cutters get in front of me. Success!

There are a bunch of announcements but most of them are in italian only or much shorter English ones. I decided to get a head start and pass out.

I wake up later and it feels like we aren't even moving. Wow, I didn't even feel the takeoff! Sleep fades and I realize, oh, we've just been sitting here for 2 hrs. Another 40 or so minutes go by and finally we leave.

I opt for the "meat" option rather than pasta as it turns out the pasta is in some plastic-looking cream sauce. I'm pretty sure the wine is expired Carlo Rossi but I guess you can't have everything. The girl next to me gets up to use the bathroom about once per hour, stepping on my feet, and its the first time I've regretted getting isle (I get swelling and need to get up as well, though I avoid breaking other people's metatarsals.

We get in much too late to make my connection of course.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:40 am
Original Poster

FLIGHT THREE AZ FCO-BUD

Luckily this time it doesn't take a ton of time once I get to the counter to get on another flight. I have a couple hours wandering around before a mostly uneventful flight to BUD. Its pretty rocky getting down the last half hour or so but it was like that last time I flew there-I guess that's a thing there?

I go to Budapest, Vienna, and Prague for 3 weeks doing cheapskate stuff like free tours, staying at hostels booked through cb sites, eating doner, drinking/reading/taking photos in parks, and watching operas for around 3 euros a pop. Highlight definitely was Oktagon bistro in Budapest (near the metro stop) where you get all you can eat Hungarian food and a drink for about 5 euros. Prague was definitely the most expensive, probably because it was swarming with tourists. I found the people nicest there, however so it was ok.

Onward to part two...
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:57 am
Original Poster

FLIGHT FOUR: KL PRG-AMS

Its pretty easy to get to the airport but takes a bit (over an hour one getting on metro) so after packing my things I head off, getting there a couple hours before my flight. Except, apparently that's not my flight. They said they notified me of flight changes but I never got them. I pull up my orbitz reservation and only thing is it says theres a change, the flight is leaving 5 minutes later. They are saying it was my fault. After talking with a couple reps I'm able to sweettalk them into giving me replacement flights but I have to wait until the next day. I am nervous about this as I now have award flights on *A leaving NRT an hour and a half after I land but I guess ill tackle that later. That's why I initially left a day and a half between, the end got moved earlier and the beginning a day late.

The bad news is that all the airport hotels are booked, I'm too tired or lazy or cheap to go back into the city and then get a shuttle or taxi or something at dark AM for my 7am flight so I make good friends with the Billa grocery store in the airport and spend the last of my CZK. The good news is that they rebooked me in M instead of N so I might actually earn some miles from this, I always travel with a sleeping bag, and there was a really quiet spot near the police station upstairs to crash.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

ACTUAL FLIGHT FOUR: OK PRG-AMS (No, I didn't make that up).

This flight was pretty chill, and I was surprised how packed it still was. Weird scrambled egg sandwich thing, pass. Overall no complaints, Czech Airlines! Got in on time and got to enjoying breakfast at AMS food court. My connecting flight was about a 25 minute walk but with a 4ish hr layover no problem.

I am however feeling nervous about connecting flight. It's too early to check in and there is no representative from ANA or even *A I can talk with apparently, so I just have to wait and see...
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

FLIGHT FIVE: KL AMS-NRT

This flight, like most of the others, is on an airline I've never flown before. Maybe I'm just tired, but even though the seats are old they feel the most comfy of any I've flown, barring ANA maybe. Just the right angle, not going crazy with all this curvy ergonomic stuff.

Food is surprisingly good, the Japanese menu I think is better even than ANA.

The only bad thing about the flight is that we get in a half hour or so late, giving me under an hour to clear customs and get to the gate. Will I make it????
Old Apr 19, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
Nice report, escaping Yoga moms and all. I thought pasta with unidentifiable goo was just an AA thing, but apparently not. I'm still laughing.

Anyway, I look forward to the next installments, so don't leave us hanging . . . !

(I'm glad you like FlyIgglesFly's work, too, by the way; I'm probably his No. 1 FT fan.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.