Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

US Airways First Class+TPA Marriott Hotel, Stolen DSLR→Christmas Miracle MIA✈TPA✈MIA

US Airways First Class+TPA Marriott Hotel, Stolen DSLR→Christmas Miracle MIA✈TPA✈MIA

Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IAMAW Local 368/HAL 2 Star Mariner
Hey CDKing,

Originally Posted by CDKing
Id suggest for the future to keep your camera in a bag through out the screening process/checkpoint.
As I showed above, I use three -- my iPhone for wing, engine, and some cabin shots, the Nikon CoolPix P500 Superzoom for long-range zoom captures, and finally the Nikon DSLR D5200 for everything else. I really, really love the clearness of shots taken with the D5200! ^

In any event, thanks for your advice, that is actually my new modus operandi at all TSA checkpoints.

-LPDAL
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Moderator Note

I've read through some of the responses on this thread and have to point out that the OP is quite young and therefore that should be taken into account. Having said that, criticism is healthy and valuable so there's nothing wrong with posting comments as long as they are respectful.

Some of the comments have gone a little too far although I accept that they may have been prompted by postings made by the OP.

Please lets keep the comments respectful and constructive rather than personal.

Thanks,

matthandy
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat, Club Carlson Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I always enjoy your trip report. I appreciate your time put in to write the report and upload these pictures. Also, I'm very impressed with how you're able to do all these solo trips at your age.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by LPDAL
I have a CRJ-700 ride coming up on ORD-CMH, I'm hoping for a Tulip! ^
Per the UA fleet site, there are only two OO CR7s left with the tulip. The rest of them are sadly wearing the trashy CO logo.

N756SK & N760SK. Best bet is to see a transstates E145.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by matthandy
I've read through some of the responses on this thread and have to point out that the OP is quite young and therefore that should be taken into account. Having said that, criticism is healthy and valuable so there's nothing wrong with posting comments as long as they are respectful.

Some of the comments have gone a little too far although I accept that they may have been prompted by postings made by the OP.

Thanks,

matthandy
Well said! Many things I did 15 years ago I woudnt do today. Its part of development. I guess if I think in 20 years (hopefully) about things I did today I will say the same I have nothing against people who enjoy their lifes and let other people be part of it in a generous way, also I handle things different. But this is my life and other people life their lifes - nothing wrong about........
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Hey Namaste1, and thanks for your comment!

Originally Posted by Namaste1
I always enjoy your trip report. I appreciate your time put in to write the report and upload these pictures. Also, I'm very impressed with how you're able to do all these solo trips at your age.
Fear not--the detail is not going away. The addition of aeronautical charts, airport diagrams, departure vectors, and arrival procedures has been the latest well-received new feature of my reports. My next new feature, test-driven in this report, is including scans of boarding passes, both receipt paper and card-stock, in each Flight Template:

---

LPDAL's Photostream on Flickr - Photo Sharing

---

---

---

No receipt paper on the way back as I didn't bother to print any, perhaps I'll supplement it with home-printed boarding pass scans.

-LPDAL

Last edited by LPDAL; Apr 17, 2015 at 9:44 am Reason: Unused formatting
Old Apr 17, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by 1P
Am I the only one who thought to myself "Here is one arrogant so-and-so, telling us upfront that he is going to do things his way and stuff the rest of us" ? As if that were not enough, he reiterates the warning, not once but twice at least. And so I couldn't bring myself to look at the TR which, indeed, as I skimmed through to the bottom, has entirely too many pictures. Should I report OP to the moderators for provocation? Or is this all a matter of taste? This is a serious question. I think warnings like this should be prohibited.
Are you actually serious? Obviously you've not seen the vitriol lodged at Colby by the plethora of bullies that unfortunate reside on FT.

Originally Posted by zcat18
This thought crossed my mind too. I've got mixed feelings. The disclaimer is unnecessary and, clearly, is inviting/provoking just the sort of commentary that the OP claims to wish to avoid. To some degree, this "disclaimer" applies to all TRs posted here: the unwritten rule is generally that it's YMMV, not everybody is going to like every TR, and if you don't like it, then it's usually best to just move on and not read it rather than inviting conflict with what is usually unnecessary criticism. In this case, however, I think--at long last--criticism is certainly warranted.

I've read this poster's TRs since he started posting them. I've been quietly rooting for him to become a great trip reporter and for people to take him seriously (I believe that the latter is the case for the most part, and the former will come with time and patience). I think we need enthusiastic young blood with different perspectives in this hobby. I really do appreciate his enthusiasm, and I think he provides a valuable service to the FT community. There is certainly a very real niche need for reports on short-haul products.

However, all of that said, the reports have become increasingly difficult to navigate, and while I realize that it is out of his control, there seems to be a maturity level issue that prevents him from leaving some insults unpunished. The results are trip reports that are overwhelmingly self-serving and that (deliberately?) over-utilize many of the devices and stylistic issues that have turned people off in the past.

From a purely practical standpoint, the overwhelming number of photos take an absurd amount of time to load--even on the very fast network that I use day-to-day. This, plus the increasingly provocative, sometimes almost vindictive tone (which includes the disclaimers), will prevent me from reading this poster's reports from now on. That said, I don't think it warrants interaction with the mods. They pay close enough attention that I believe they would step in if he were running afoul of the "rules," and I trust their judgment. That said, I had the same reaction you did.
Don't read the report then. I don't read the Hong Kong TRs or CX f ones or ek f ones. Frankly, they get boring. Really, they do.

Originally Posted by matthandy

Thanks,

matthandy
I'm sorry but saying op is young is a little condescending to Colby ImO. Who cares if they were 60 or 16. My senior parents are annoying and set in their ways and don't care about anyone other than themselves when they travel. What does age have to do with it? Please.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: BAEC
Nice report.

Have you decided where you will be going with your $15k graduation gift/ticket?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arh1
Nice report.

Have you decided where you will be going with your $15k graduation gift/ticket?
Not yet, but I may get a car instead of taking a $15K trip especially as I will most likely need a car as I will be working at MIA after graduation.

-LPDAL
Old Apr 18, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks for another nice report Colby. Keep up the good work, I like your style and what you report on, it may not be to everyone's taste but as others have said you don't have to read it.

I've read a few of your reports now and have been meaning to comment for a while, but this spurred me:

Originally Posted by LPDAL

Taxiing past another British 744...No, not British Airways, but because it is Virgin Atlantic, it is a bird of British nationality!
Unless I'm very much mistaken that is G-VFAB (Lady Penelope) - VS's first 747-400 and the first plane I ever flew on back in May 1994 when she was just a month old. So that particular Queen has a particular place in my affections! I've been almost as much of a flying and planes fan as you since then, although living in the UK I didn't have the opportunities to fly all over the place when I was your age. So enjoy it while you're still young and free!

James
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:52 am
Original Poster

James,

You're welcome, glad you enjoyed it. Thanks, also, for the information on G-VFAB / Lady Penelope -- I enjoyed reading about her!

Best,

-LPDAL
Old Apr 18, 2015, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Since "warning" seems to be an inappropriate word, I'll use the word to the left of it:

I have an "advisory": My next report is FLL-IAH-EWR-PWM-EWR-TPA-FLL. Besides the six separate flight posts, there is going to be two hotel posts, one downtown post, one spotting post, 4-5 airport layover posts, and probably some "Midnight Spotting" at the end. That means the OP may as well be more or less around 20+ posts, longer than the DL 747 report.

-LPDAL

Last edited by LPDAL; Apr 18, 2015 at 10:43 pm
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

And, to that effect, here is a portion of the foreword of my next report:

---

---

---

---

---

---

Map generated by the Great Circle Mapper - copyright Karl L. Swartz
Routing for this one-night trip to Portland, Maine.
---

Trip Report Number 27: United First Class+BusinessFirst, 777-200, Dash-8-Q400, Silver Airways Saab 340B+, and a night in Portland, Maine + Downtown Portland Maine + Embassy Suites Portland International Jetport Review + Portland International Jetport Spotting FLL✈IAH✈EWR✈PWM✈EWR✈TPA✈FLL

-LPDAL / Colby

Last edited by Moomba; Apr 20, 2015 at 5:05 am Reason: removed meta discussion
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:11 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
In order to allow LPDAL to continue with this report matthandy and I have decided to re-open this thread.

You will note that many posts have been removed that have dealt with a meta discussion about what LPDAL should and should not include in this report.

As it seems that discussion cannot be kept civil no further discussion on the topic of what should and shouldn't be included in the report will be tolerated. Any such posts will be removed.

Moomba

Last edited by Moomba; Apr 20, 2015 at 5:18 am
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Gold

Thanks for another great report Colby, I admire your enthusiasm and dedication in constructing these TRs, for me that's what makes them interesting to read and follow.

Keep it up, and glad to see that you got your camera back! ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.