Twelve Days Across Africa

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Twelve Days Across Africa

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA, Delta, Hilton
Daniel you are one of those rare people (Hauteboy included) that live a life (travels) that some of us only dream about. As I said in the past your travels keep us wide eyed through the night shift in the ER. Thank you for sharing these places that most of us will never see.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lasvegaswannabe
Daniel you are one of those rare people (Hauteboy included) that live a life (travels) that some of us only dream about. As I said in the past your travels keep us wide eyed through the night shift in the ER. Thank you for sharing these places that most of us will never see.
Many thanks, lasvegaswannabe. Great to know these TR's can inspire, inform and entertain as much as others have done for me. Just having a break now from Africa, but have trips to Lebanon, Czech Republic, Laos and Kazakhstan coming later this year.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:47 pm

Thank you so much for sharing. You take such wonderful photos and show parts of the world 99.999999% of most travelers won't see. Thanks for that.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nemme99
Thank you so much for sharing. You take such wonderful photos and show parts of the world 99.999999% of most travelers won't see. Thanks for that.
Thank you, nemme99. At our hotel in Niamey we were asked what NGO we were working for. A bit of a surprise when we said we were just simple tourists.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus, Hilton Gold
Another great report DanielW I've run out of words this time to fully express how wonderful these are.

P.S.: Have you visited India yet? I tried to wade through your posts but gave up after a while.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:08 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Forgot to mention at the border crossing from Mauritania... they wanted to know how much money we had on us, and actually wanted to see it. I wouldn't let them touch it as one of the bills was likely to disappear.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Another magnificent photo report - thanks DanielW.

Of course I was secretly hoping that while in Chad you had found time to visit the absolutely stunning looking Ennedi Plateau... though I suppose in these turbulent times, venturing into the far desert reaches of Chad might be beyond even your risk tolerance! Still, I can imagine what marvellous photos you would take of it
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deovrat
Another great report DanielW I've run out of words this time to fully express how wonderful these are.

P.S.: Have you visited India yet? I tried to wade through your posts but gave up after a while.
Many thanks, deovrat. India was actually my first trip somewhere interesting. I went for 3 weeks back in 2003 for a friends wedding to be the bestman. Went back again in 2010 for his brother's wedding. Just a pic outside the wedding hall waiting for the groom to arrive (apparently the groom is supposed to arrive after the bride(?)):

Originally Posted by hauteboy
Forgot to mention at the border crossing from Mauritania... they wanted to know how much money we had on us, and actually wanted to see it. I wouldn't let them touch it as one of the bills was likely to disappear.
Yes, definitely added to the stress at the border, although some how we managed to walk away with our wallets unscathed.

Originally Posted by mad_atta

Of course I was secretly hoping that while in Chad you had found time to visit the absolutely stunning looking Ennedi Plateau... though I suppose in these turbulent times, venturing into the far desert reaches of Chad might be beyond even your risk tolerance! Still, I can imagine what marvellous photos you would take of it
Thank you, mad_atta. Yes, would have loved to see a bit more of the country, especially the north. Jordan's original plan was to see more of Chad, flying into N'Djamena and out of Niamey. The price can be quite high (~600 euro's per day) since they need two 4WD's while travelling across the desert in case one gets stuck/broke. OK for 6-8 people but expensive for 1-2 people.

Not sure if those tours were going ahead either with the security issues: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...cancelled.html
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:20 am

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
Originally Posted by mad_atta

I really wanted to visit Ennedi... but getting there and back takes two weeks or more.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 9:40 am
Suspended

A small car with so many passengers on it?? woowww
Old Apr 20, 2015, 2:05 pm

Programs: Meh
You have a real talent with the camera and the places you visit are incredible. Your TR's brighten my day.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Nice TR, Daniel W. Loved your photos. Planning to visit Morocco myself, so, your TR was really helpful. Planning to fly into BCN/MAD spend a couple of days there, and head over to Rabat. Do you think about 2 days is enough to see the major/important sights in and around Rabat and Casablanca?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Randhal007
A small car with so many passengers on it?? woowww
Yes, you quickly get used to seeing this kind of stuff when travelling in Africa.

Originally Posted by stevie
You have a real talent with the camera and the places you visit are incredible. Your TR's brighten my day.
Many thanks, stevie. Great to know that my TR's are enjoyed.

Originally Posted by AvidFlyer1990
Nice TR, Daniel W. Loved your photos. Planning to visit Morocco myself, so, your TR was really helpful. Planning to fly into BCN/MAD spend a couple of days there, and head over to Rabat. Do you think about 2 days is enough to see the major/important sights in and around Rabat and Casablanca?
Thanks, AvidFlyer1990. Yes, two days is plenty for Rabat and Casablanca. I went to Chefchaouen, Fez and Marrakech on a previous trip, and there's a bit more to do and see there: http://www.dsw-photo.com/Travel/A-Tr...Portugal-Moroc
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Gold, FlyingBlue - Ivory, Air New Zealand Airpoints
Loved this latest report you have published - the pics, the narration all came together wonderfully. Some nice rare intra Africa flights thrown in for good measure - thanks so much for taking the time to publish this!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Always love your pictures and these are some of your best yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.