Search

France & Switzerland UA J & LX F via EWR-LHR-EuroStar-LYS-ZRH-SFO

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
France & Switzerland UA J & LX F via EWR-LHR-EuroStar-LYS-ZRH-SFO

Bonjour & Hello!
The following is a bit of a mixed TR happening where I have a meeting in London, a few things to do in Paris, visiting my best friend in Lyon and will visit the town my grandparents are from before flying back to California to see Mom for her birthday.

Run of Show:
1) United BusinessFirst EWR-LHR & LHR Arrivals Lounge
2) London & EuroStar Standard Premier St. Pancras - Gare du Nord
3) Novotel Les Halles & Paris
4) TGV First Class Paris-Lyon & AirBnB Vieux Lyon
5) Lyon
6) LX by OX J LYS-ZRH
7) Hotel Basilea Zurich
8) Zurich - Isone - Lugano
9) SWISS First Class Lounge & LX F ZRH-SFO

Last edited by JVPhoto; Apr 15, 2015 at 11:14 pm Reason: adding links
Old Apr 9, 2015, 3:20 am
Original Poster

United Club, BusinessFirst EWR-LHR & T2 Arrivals Lounge

So the routing and running around was kind of hectic because my plans had changed a few times. Originally, I thought I would be spending 3-4 days in London now, instead of just the afternoon because I am now coming back later this month.
So I decided to keep a lunch meeting with someone and then just take the train to Paris (again train travel is something I don't get to do often).

Seems for the summer they have made the last EWR-LHR flight on the 3 class sUA 763 which pushes the departure to 9:40pm and arrive 10:10am+1. The weeks before it has been a sCO 752 that leaves about 35 in earlier.
I was bored at home and had little to do. With the time and the tunnel traffic I was planning on taking the train anyways to Newark so I ended up leaving my place in the East Village around 5:45pm.

No problems with the train, pretty easy. I did Uber to Penn Station because I didn't want to deal with my bags going to take the NR up to 34th and then walk over.
Check in was empty, PreCheck and all the other lines were almost empty, sailed right on through...as seems to be the case on Tuesdays.

I wanted to try one of the new Terminal C dining spots. I went to the brasserie last time, now I checked out the sushi place next door. Including tip walked out paying $60 which was a little over priced, $16 of it was for 1.5 glasses of sake though. The food was decent, was nice to be able to get freshly prepared sushi in the airport after the years of food court crap.

The Club was pretty sleepy as well. The new offerings haven't rolled out to EWR yet. So I spent the time re-watching Game of Thrones to prep for the new season. Also watched a couple try to sneak out snack mix and drop a whole cup of it on the floor and leave it.

I was a little nervous. Watched the flights earlier this week which had some of the evening ones delayed going to LHR. My plane arrived at Noon from ZRH so hopefully any issues were fixed in that time.
Made my way to the gate at 8:45 for the 8:50 boarding and happened easy enough.

Sat down.

Settled in.

Had to tell the man next to me I wouldn't swap with his wife in the window seat because I wanted aisle access. The woman next to her moved next to me and then I mentioned something to her about now no one has to climb over her and she said "Hey...this was a good deal then!"

The new kits are PGA co-branded and come in a shoe bag with golf tees, argyle socks and 2 golf balls in addition to the normal stuff. Nice change, I'll give it to my step dad who is a golfer.

Captain came out to the J cabin and let us all know the flight time, that some fog may make us slow down 2/3 of the way through, the weather and that everything seemed good to go. Sigh of relief...my backup thoughts of which other trains could I take if we were delayed hours/CXL'd or even which flights I could hop on dissipated as at 9:25 they closed the doors and we pushed back and were wheels up at 9:43.

A predictable menu, having had some food before and wanting to get some sleep on the flight I just dug through the first two courses, skipped cheese/desert and asked not to be woken up for breakfast.

Peppercorn dressing was good, the app was okay/standard. The salmon dish was nicely cooked, had good flavor and a nice mix of things with the greens, grains and little bit of crab meat.

I finally woke up while people were having breakfast. Went to use the lav to freshen up, one was broken, which also then had a lot of people from Y lined up to the use the other one so the FA serving my side just pulled me up to the GF bathroom once the pilot was out of it.
She brought over a table cloth and asked about breakfast and I said no thanks I'm fine. I turned back on the TV to finish Taken 3 and noticed the flight time was listed as 17 min. Wow she was gonna just shovel that in my mouth lickity split!

We touched down and were at the gate about 45 min early...this gave me plenty of leisurely time to get to London, do my things and make the 15:31 train to Paris. Thanks to LH4116 here he mentioned the UA Arrivals Lounge...I only thought they had the new Clubs in T2 so I was excited to check it out. They also came around to BF/GF and gave us fast track cards and info on the arrivals lounge.
After walking a good 7-8 min at a decent pace through the bowels of LHR I got to passport control. Not many people in line and I was the only one in Fast Track.
When he looked at my arrivals card that said I wasn't staying in London he asked what I was doing I said just taking the train later to Paris and he quipped that was a good idea since the flights were mess (I had no idea about the ATC strike).

After waiting a few minutes for bags, I made my way out, to the lounge and had a shower and sat down for breakfast by 10:10am which was my listed arrival time.

The lounge attendants were LOVE-UH-LEE! Asked if I needed anything pressed, if I wanted to valet my bags. There seemed to be at least 20 shower rooms, I was the first one through from my plane so I walked right into a shower, I doubt there would be much of a wait unless you are maybe on the 3rd of the 5 flights in from EWR.

Presented with a menu...a menu! Hot food! Where am I!?

I just opted to help myself, had some yogurt and fruit and tea. Used the Wifi to check out a few things, I had bought my Heathrow Express ticket in the arrivals hall and just went outside and down the stairs and was able to hop right on the train 40 seconds before the doors closed.

Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:58 am
Original Poster

London & EuroStar Standard Premier St. Pancras - Gare du Nord

So the plan was to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station and then hope on Hammersmith or Circle Line to St. Pancras where I would catch the EuroStar.

I was going to see about taking an earlier train but when I arrived it was a zoo I think due to the flight issues and much more people taking the train.
I looked up some luggage storage things on line but just asked one of the EuroStar people who pointed me all the way back to the end of the station next to the Boots pharmacy to Excess Baggage where storage was 6 pounds for 0-3 hours, 10 pounds for 3+ per piece. I left both my bags there so I didn't have to fuss with them.

I had about an hour and half to kill before meeting a curator so I just decided to wander around Camden and the area. Stopped to get a flat white at Half Cup and then walked through The Brunswick which was a out door strip mall type thing.

With nothing particular in mind we just popped into a place called Friend at Hand which was a typical British pub. I indulged in the venison pie which was okay and a nice bottle of Crabbie's.

I went and walked to King's Cross to look at the people taking photos at the Harry Potter platform and then nabbed my bags right before the 3 hour mark. Had about an hour to kill so just sat in the station watching GoT.
45 min before departure I went through and security was pretty quick and both UK exit and France entrance passport control was easy. I didn't know this is where they did the French passport check, which was nice so that when you step off at GdN you don't have to wait around for that.

I booked Standard Premier which was $152. At the time Standard was like $105 and Business Premier was $450. I had no real need or desire to spend that much on the business one. I thought the SP was worth it because you can get a bit of a snack, some wine (he came around and gave 2 bottles) & a reserved solo seat (note the photo it looks like I'm sharing with someone), the guy boarding us told us car 9 was car 8 so after 5-7 min they realized the mistake and we moved to the right car.

Option was the cheese plate or some cold roast beef with a little salad.

The attendants in the car were chummy, friendly and made it a really pleasant experience. I didn't go to the bar car or anything like that.

We arrived right on time which gave me an hour to get to the hotel, freshen up and then make it to Monteparnasse metro for dinner.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:18 am

Another great report, as usual. ^

It really is refreshing how great the UA clubs are in LHR. I haven't been to the arrivals lounge, but the T2 club was perfect during my 5 hour layover this winter.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:47 am

A great report. It looks like quite a good trip, particularly since you avoided the strike! My brother-in-law was just praising Business Premier on the Eurostar, but 450 seems more than a little steep.

The arrivals lounge in London looks amazing. I usually do everything I can to avoid Heathrow, but that looks impressive to say the least.

Also, thank you for the little gift idea for my father, who likes to golf.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 8:07 am
Original Poster

The last time I was at LHR a it was in May so it was at the Sky Team lounge. I'll be LHR-EWR later this month and LHR-TXL the following so excited to visit the Club.
The arrivals was great as I said. While I didn't see any specific United branding it had UA, AC, SA names listed on the door.
I don't believe any *G or even 1K access in Y so seems exclusively for J/F.

I could see the Business Premier being worth it if you are traveling on an actual work day as I think you just need to show up 10 min before departure vs 45-60.
The solo SP seat was plenty comfortable and was able to have my drinks, laptop and hard drive all out at once. If with colleges you could get 2 seats facing each other or a 4 top.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan, KLM Flying Blue, Lifemiles
Great report. I'm looking forward to the rest
Old Apr 9, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Interesting TR so far. It looks like Eurostar SP catering might have marginally improved since my last trip - I think your cheese plate has more cheese than mine did adn it sounds like they were more generous with the wine.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:10 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Wonderful Photos. Look forward to the the rest since I will be going through St. Pancras in 2 weeks time.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Paris & Novotel Les Halles

A pretty quick trip to Paris to catch up with a few people. I've been here plenty of times before so if people have any questions feel free to post or ask...aka I tell everyone they need to eat at Les Gros Minuet just off St. Honore & Les Halles.
When I would come alone I almost always used to stay at Hotel Duo in Le Marais...but after some issue with the people working there I opted to swap. Last time I stayed at Hotel Konfidental which was interesting, but very, very small & I've also stayed at Hotel du Vendome with visiting with my Mother. This time I went for Novotel Les Halles as it was still in the area I mostly frequent and easy that a straight shot on the M4 from Gare du Nord (EuroStar) and a quick metro ride on M14/1 to Gare du Lyon. My friends last year stayed here for a few nights when they came to celebrate a birthday. I liked that it was a big "normal" hotel with a lobby and easy coming and goings without a front desk with hawk eyes on you at all hours. The rooms were decent, good size, clean and "Ikea" like. Well lucky me it seems they have just remodeled and they are a bit nicer with different finishings and bathrooms and some splashes of color and texture.

Only downside is all the construction that has been going on for years. On one side you have this and on the other is the Les Halles construction. The noise wasn't too bad during the days.

For the price (can usually be found at a discount) given the location, size and cleanliness I think it is a pretty good deal.

I dumped my bags and got right back on the M4 to Vavin to meet my friend for dinner at La Coupole which he described as not really being about the food but it's big, famous and can be fun to celebrate a birthday. Which is what we did a week early for him.

I had the Curry d'Agneau which explained after why at the entrance there was an Indian man in a kurta and turban. He wheels this around and prepares it table side. The flavor was a bit bland (without the bit of sauces) and it was a few degrees too cold.

The lights dimmed, there was some banging and then flashes of noise and sound...and then this came to our table.

The first mornings in Paris I usually always have breakfast at Cafe Beaubourg which looks out to the Pompidou square. I have a cafe au lait and a croque monsieur. My did it suck this time. Before the bread was much thicker and the cheese more baked and gooey. Not sure what this was.

I spent most of the morning just walking around Le Marais and stopping by the boutique L'Ecaleiur to do some shopping before meeting with a modeling agency I frequently work with here.

If you don't want to get pick pocketed, wear long clothes. (video)

Before meeting some friends I made one last stop down St. Honore to Colette to check out a few things and see what their were hawking this season. I was a bit peckish so I went downstairs to the Aqua Bar (they have something like 100 different types of water) to get a snack and glass of rose. I forgot how raw the French love their meat so the roast beef and salad was fine but I left a about 2 bites of the middle of each on the plate.

Burgers & my boys.

Old Apr 9, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: SK*G/EBD, Le Club Accor Plat, Club Carlson Concierge, Hilton Gold
Good report so far, with som really good pictures! Looking forward to the LX F flight as I`ll be flying on the one my self later this year
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

TGV 1st Class Paris - Lyon & AirBnB Vieux Lyon

Getting to Gare de Lyon from Les Halles is easy enough with a straight shot on the M1 or M14. I had booked the tickets online from the SNEF/TGV site but I think because it was a US billing address it ended up re-routing me through Rail Europe which sent me actual paper tickets in the mail. I had about an hour to kill at the station so popped up to a cafe which (from what I understood was they didn't have food yet (after 11am)) so I just had an espresso and fresh orange juice. After I went down to the MonoPrix and got a small salad and some drinks.

Thankfully my friend in Lyon mentioned that I needed to validate my ticket in the box with a stamp or I would have blown right by the yellow Compostez boxes.
Boarding is pretty easy with the cars numbered for the reserved coaches and there is a good amount of luggage space at the ends of the cars and also in the middle (aka right behind my seat).

I'm not sure if I paid a premium for it but I was happy to have a "solo" seat. The train ticket also came with a meal voucher. In 1ere classe there is a cart going up and down that first does juice/water/soda and then followed by box lunches/wine/beer and then a coffee/tea one. The voucher I had to take to the actual bar car to exchange and could choose between a sandwhich/salad/rissotto + a desert + a drink/beer/wine.

Arrival in Lyon was easy and seamless. I just hoped in a taxi with a little traffic + the train station surcharge + the 2 luggage surcharge ended up at 18 euros to Vieux Lyon where I had rented a place on AirBnB.

An amazing price, a beautiful apartment, walking distance to my friend's bar, friend's house and across the Soane to the city center it's absolutely lovely. If anyone is visiting and interested I'm more than happy to pass along the info.

A wonderful view.

Old Apr 11, 2015, 5:29 pm

Nice trip report! How did you book the LX F?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yerffej201
Nice trip report! How did you book the LX F?
Through UA.com along with my EWR-LHR flight.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Through UA.com along with my EWR-LHR flight.
I haven't seen LX F award space in ages. How far from departure and when did you book this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.