Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

RTW trip of the year! JL/SQ/EK Suites, Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, IC, Bali Villas

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RTW trip of the year! JL/SQ/EK Suites, Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, IC, Bali Villas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Why don't you read eightblacks reports for humour and sarcasm without the immature undertones
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by m3red
Why don't you read eightblacks reports for humour and sarcasm without the immature undertones
You mean with almost put downs of some locals ?

anyway, OP next time at the Bund do take the short boat cruise. More photo ops.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
"The gate agent scanned my boarding pass and said, “no, because this is a free ticket”. Listen b****, it’s an award ticket, and it’s a positioning flight for a $10,000 flight tomorrow. Miles aren’t free. Miles are like money in that both are earned and that I earn more of both in a month than you in a year."

Originally Posted by work2fly
Really?

Let me guess, it's your charm that earns you 'all that money'
Originally Posted by corruptcanadian
I agree. That gate agent probably likes their job and what they do. That should be respected and not by how much money they make. I personally think they should make more. Who cares how much you make and how many miles you have as it doesn't determine your worthiness. Not sure why you have to resort to name calling.

You have some great pictures but I had to stop reading as the crass language and name calling to others continued has put me off. Enjoy your travels.
+1

Originally Posted by spark787
I was immediately put off by "do you know how much money I make" and the insinuation "I'm chinese and know history, those japanese are silly people"

This guy has the same attitude and language as those "entitled chinese elitists" he mocks.

Way to reinforce flyertalk stereotypes.
Originally Posted by wp_kid
Wow, talk about wound up readers

There was a disclaimer at the beginning, folks! "There will be sarcastic and douchey humor - it will be written from the perspective of a character, not me."
I usually relish sarcasm and hate political correctness. But when your "character" calls a woman a "b****" (for any reason, not to mention the stupid, elitist one provided here), tosses around super-elitist sentiments and otherwise acts like a jerk, your persona is really insulting to all sorts of folks. If you used racial epithets under the guise of your "character" - calling that gate agent by the N word, for instance - it would obviously be way out of line. You're pretty much doing the equivalent here.

I realize that on some level you're simply trying to be funny and entertaining. But sorry, simply adopting a persona doesn't mean you're not responsible for the trash you're posting.

Last edited by Thunderroad; Apr 3, 2015 at 11:36 am
Old Apr 3, 2015, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by m3red
I hope we get another report soon from him.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 12:47 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
Is subconscious misogyny better than conscious elitism? The gate agent isn't a woman.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I usually relish sarcasm and hate political correctness. But when your "character" calls a woman a "b****" (for any reason, not to mention the stupid, elitist one provided here), tosses around super-elitist sentiments and otherwise acts like a jerk, your persona is really insulting to all sorts of folks.

Last edited by TOMFORD; Apr 5, 2015 at 6:19 pm
Old Apr 3, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold, SPG Plat
TR has two purposes, informational and entertainment value. I think APG has both. Get over it people. If you guys are so sensitive, don't watch TV or R rated movies.

"Miles aren't free. Miles are like money in that both are earned."

A lot of people and airline industry employees think miles are free.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by caimaster
TR has two purposes, informational and entertainment value. I think APG has both. Get over it people. If you guys are so sensitive, don't watch TV or R rated movies.

+1
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: AF Plat, DL Gold
Originally Posted by caimaster

+1
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by agp423
I will dial back the bumptious bigotry, and my sincere apologies to those offended. It will not happen in the future.

Is subconscious misogyny better than conscious elitism? The gate agent isn't a woman.
One of these days, people will have a sense of humor.

Don't ever apologize for being you, or your alter-persona.

And guess what, people who want to read your report will continue on, and those who are "offended" can move right along.

Keep it up and don't change what you've been doing
Old Apr 3, 2015, 8:41 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by canuckshark
+1
Originally Posted by batmandds
+1
Originally Posted by aviatorzz

And guess what, people who want to read your report will continue on, and those who are "offended" can move right along.

Very well said all of you.

This PC business has gone too far . If I don't like what I see on TV I change the channel or turn it off. likewise on FT.
What people do not understand is one cannot REPROGRAM a person. So what is the use of putting down a person ?
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:39 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by aviatorzz

I would not apologize if it were me talking, but my persona, why not. In the end the trip report is for the member here. It serves the purpose of 1. to entertain 2. to provide future destination ideas for those planning to travel to Asia and 3. to provide a "fruit of your labor" sort of thing for those who helped me with the trip planning. ^
Old Apr 4, 2015, 5:47 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

edited

Last edited by TOMFORD; Aug 10, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Old Apr 4, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by agp423
Upon returning, I wrapped up the end of the work week with a video walk-around of the room, here is the beautiful Four Seasons hotel with the magnificent view of the Shanghai skyline. Although it’s from the “wrong” side, it still has plenty of flavor.

http://youtu.be/FtGGx2szJnI
Did not realize this video was private before... It should be view-able now to everyone.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 12:47 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

edited

Last edited by TOMFORD; Aug 10, 2016 at 2:42 pm
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:36 pm

Love your report and pictures! ^

Keep your tone the way it is - it makes for an enjoyable read out of reports that say the same thing over and over again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.