Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Luxurious, Clean, Delightful, Incredible India in F (EK/AI) + Some Amazing Hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxurious, Clean, Delightful, Incredible India in F (EK/AI) + Some Amazing Hotels

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by SFO777
What a great trip. And thanks for taking one for the team and staying at the Burj al Arab. Yikes, that place is something else. Add me to the list that does not appreciate those side trips by guides to carpet vendors, jewelry merchants, etc... Looks like you handled it perfectly.
Many thanks SFO777! I am honoured for you to even be reading my report given your incredible TR's. The Burj really is an odd bird; because at this point, the decor is so dated that it is not just a matter of being gaudy, but old and gaudy. The clientele that I saw there appeared to be largely mainland Chinese and Russian. On the way out, I saw an African king or President or something, in traditional regalia, walking down the stairs with a dozen Burj staffers smartly dressed and at attention, while he walked by, handing each person a bank note while thanking them. That is kind of what I expected, but I only saw something like this once.

Last edited by blueline7; Mar 29, 2015 at 11:05 am
Old Mar 29, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Really enjoyed your report! Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2015, 6:52 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Wow great report.. I too have seen Musken's report on Amanbagh and am so jonesing to go there... Amarvillas often gets panned but we stayed there in 1999 (wow has it really been that long) and thoroughly loved it... The pool area is absolutely gorgeous and it's a great and convenient place to spend one night and visit the Taj.... Last time we were there we went all Oberoi and it was a fantastic experience... though my next goal will be to go Aman on the return.. did you consider the Lodhi in Dehli?

FDW

Last edited by FlyingDoctorwu; Mar 29, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Old Mar 29, 2015, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA 1M, AA Platinum, HA Pualani Gold, KAL Morning Calm, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
What an incredible adventure--and you experienced it with your Dad! Absolutely incredible! How long did you plan for this trip?

The Burj looks like it belongs on the Vegas Strip...really tacky!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:50 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Great TR... Thank you for the review of the Burj as well as your excellent pictures. Really enjoyable, and nice for your Dad too
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:07 am

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Excellent trip report. Love it ^
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat 2MM. Starwood Lifetime Gold
Great trip report. We also have had similar experiences in 2 trips to India. One of our favorite hotels is the Taj Palace in Mumbai- great Butler service! A highlight of our trip was on a private houseboat in the backwaters of Kerala. It is really nice that you could give your Dad such a wonderful trip
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Fun TR. And interesting comments on the Burj, which I visited once for an (expensive) drink. Its marketing itself as a "seven star hotel" is impressive, but it seems to be more worthwhile as a glitzy over-the-top tourist attraction than actually as a place to stay. For the same high price, there are probably better values in Dubai and certainly elsewhere. Sounds like the fine hotels you visited in India are much more memorable.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:44 am

Programs: Delta, HH, Hyatt, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold
Amazing trip report! Thank you for taking the time to post it!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Wow; thank you for a great report! I couldn't agree more with your sentiments about India. The marketing campaign, 'Incredible' certainly does the country justice between the people (fantastically friendly), the food (delicious - especially Bengali) and the sites (awe-inspiring). I took a few trips to Bombay and Goa when I was in Bahrain for 9 months and then again when in Qatar for three months just to get away. Personally, I couldn't stand Dubai as I'm not really one for malls and I found it to be generally tacky, not just the Burj. Qatar was even worse. Thanks again!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:24 pm
Community Director Emerita

I am a sucker for folks who spoil their parents. And not only did you give your father the trip, but you took it with him. He'd likely say that even better than this amazing luxurious experience was that he got to experience it all with his son.

Your arrival experience at Taj Falknuma sounds amazing. Showered with rose petals? I'm all for that.

I've been on and off about returning to India. We've gone several times and have really loved it. We've seen the most of the main sights thru all the country. Sometimes I think been there, done that, and then I read your report and think but not in this way.

Thank you for your wonderful pictures and taking all the time to bring us along with you.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:15 pm

Programs: A bunch
Well done trip report and your emotions and feeling come through very well. Thanks for sharing Blueline.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by offerendum
Really enjoyed your report! Thanks
Many thanks, offerendum. I really enjoyed your trip report to Aman'oi as well!

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
Wow great report.. I too have seen Musken's report on Amanbagh and am so jonesing to go there... Amarvillas often gets panned but we stayed there in 1999 (wow has it really been that long) and thoroughly loved it... The pool area is absolutely gorgeous and it's a great and convenient place to spend one night and visit the Taj.... Last time we were there we went all Oberoi and it was a fantastic experience... though my next goal will be to go Aman on the return.. did you consider the Lodhi in Dehli?
Many thanks, FDW. Yes, I did seriously consider the Lodhi. Ultimatly however, for my dates, there was no comparison between the value of the two; the Leela had a substantially lower rate and also had a lot of inclusions. I found that the price significantly changed between the two depending on the stay dates.

Originally Posted by Kaneohe0850
What an incredible adventure--and you experienced it with your Dad! Absolutely incredible! How long did you plan for this trip?
Originally I was going to go on my own, but then my dad became interested in going, so it worked out great. I don't recall how far in advance we planned it. Maybe 3-4 months or so?

Originally Posted by SAtraveller
Great TR... Thank you for the review of the Burj as well as your excellent pictures. Really enjoyable, and nice for your Dad too
He was the best travel companion ever! We had a lot of fun and really enjoyed the food together!

Originally Posted by NA-Flyer
Excellent trip report. Love it ^
Many thanks! Positive feedback makes these things worth writing.

Originally Posted by omsflyer
Great trip report. We also have had similar experiences in 2 trips to India. One of our favorite hotels is the Taj Palace in Mumbai- great Butler service! A highlight of our trip was on a private houseboat in the backwaters of Kerala. It is really nice that you could give your Dad such a wonderful trip
That sounds like a fabulous trip! I actually watched a great documentary about the Taj in Mumbai and would just love to try it out one day. My dad really enjoyed the trip, including the planning and also recounting the highlights together!

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Fun TR. And interesting comments on the Burj, which I visited once for an (expensive) drink. Its marketing itself as a "seven star hotel" is impressive, but it seems to be more worthwhile as a glitzy over-the-top tourist attraction than actually as a place to stay. For the same high price, there are probably better values in Dubai and certainly elsewhere. Sounds like the fine hotels you visited in India are much more memorable.
Exactly. With the Burj price and self aggrandizement, one would have expected a lot more, or should I say, a lot better...For high end Dubai, I understand that One and Only and Four Seasons are probably the way to go, but I have not tried either.

Originally Posted by nolan222
Amazing trip report! Thank you for taking the time to post it!
My pleasure. Thanks for reading!

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Wow; thank you for a great report! I couldn't agree more with your sentiments about India. The marketing campaign, 'Incredible' certainly does the country justice between the people (fantastically friendly), the food (delicious - especially Bengali) and the sites (awe-inspiring). I took a few trips to Bombay and Goa when I was in Bahrain for 9 months and then again when in Qatar for three months just to get away. Personally, I couldn't stand Dubai as I'm not really one for malls and I found it to be generally tacky, not just the Burj. Qatar was even worse. Thanks again!
Yes, "Incredible India" hits it right on the head. I would love to check out Mumbai and Goa one day. The people in India were fantastic. I even had one shop in Delhi return about $15 to me after I had dropped it on the floor and left the shop! We encountered the best service we had ever had anywhere. It has a real service culture.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I am a sucker for folks who spoil their parents. And not only did you give your father the trip, but you took it with him. He'd likely say that even better than this amazing luxurious experience was that he got to experience it all with his son.

Your arrival experience at Taj Falknuma sounds amazing. Showered with rose petals? I'm all for that.

I've been on and off about returning to India. We've gone several times and have really loved it. We've seen the most of the main sights thru all the country. Sometimes I think been there, done that, and then I read your report and think but not in this way.

Thank you for your wonderful pictures and taking all the time to bring us along with you.
It was my most memorable trip ever and going with my dad was the best part of it. I would highly recommend taking one's father or mother on a trip. The arrival at the Taj was jaw dropping. And it was not in the least bit cheesy the way that it happened. In contrast, we saw the same rose petal thing at the Taj Rambagh Palace hotel in Jaipur, to some other guests, and it was nothing like at the Falaknuma. It was contrived and done with little effort whereas at Falaknuma, it was a joyous and genuine experience. India has so much to offer, I could easily doing 6 months there and just scratching the surface! Next time I got to check out Mumbai and Kerala for sure. Before going, I was wondering whether I made the right decision between Aman-i-kas and Amanbagh, since an FT'er who has excellent taste found the former much preferable to the latter. Nevertheless, I felt that Amanbagh was exactly what we were looking for and was perfectly executed, so am very glad with our decision.

Originally Posted by pointspinnacle
Well done trip report and your emotions and feeling come through very well. Thanks for sharing Blueline.
Thank you so much for your kind words!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Alaska MVP 75k, SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold
@blueline7 I really enjoyed your trip reports so far. Keep up the awesome work! If you are spending time in India next time - Don't miss the Taj Lake Palace in Udaipur or Rambagh Palace in Jaipur for the absolute royal treatment.

www.grabamile.com
Old Mar 30, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: FT
Great TR. I miss the great food in India. Ohhhh the dosas.

I was fortunate to have my company supply drivers that we use for our employees locally so never had them take me to a tourist trap before on my days off. It's not uncommon as I have heard. Added and now that I think about it it was the guide I arranged in Agra that forced me to do the shops after the tour. Soooo annoying.

Had you been to Delhi before?

I was surprised you did not go to Qutb minar, Humayun's Tomb and the red Fort. Perhaps you had been here before.

The Leela Delhi looks a lot like the one in Bangalore but way differmt than leeela in gurgaon that our company has for us to book. Close to our offices.

Love the road to Agra. I just missed the Grand Prix by a week but the facility in noida is pretty awesome.

I love how in the taj pics, portions of the pillars are hidden due to angles.

Last edited by mkjr; Mar 30, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.