Original Poster

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Route AMS-NCL
Flight Number KL0963
Departure 1625 (Actual 1632)
Arrival 1645 (Actual 1708)
Seat 12F Economy
Aircraft 737-700

Having made my way to D52 via the Duty Free, two queues of roughly 40 people had already formed with the gate still to open. Normally for these flights there is one security scanner and one queue with a sign saying SkyTeam Elite members can proceed to the front of the queue. I've only ever seen one person try to proceed and that resulted in an argument. On that occasion myself, 3 other Golds and 2 Platinums had lined up in the normal way and were at that point in the queue, so even if he wanted to proceed to the front he technically would need to be behind us. Anyway he was arguing with the desk staff and then trotted off to the back. I can see his point, but I've never seen anyone do it. Really some of these gates are too small to have one security belt if you have a full flight. Once modifications are complete for a general security area for non Schengan flights this will solve the problem.

Anyway back to the present, the reason I bring this up was that there were two lines formed at either side of the entrance. One for SkyTeam Elite and the other general boarding. Now I was stuck in no mans land as normally the one queue removes the decision, but I went with the elite queue. I was perfectly entitled but it didn't feel right. When the gate opened the two queues merged and slowed everything down but I made it through. Then once in the gate area another queue had already formed for priory boarding. At this point the plane wasn’t on stand and wouldn’t be for another 20 minutes. From this I worked out that it was a group of 5 men at the front who had started this queue and the separate one before security. Again I was in a pickle as too what to do but having the big backpack I wanted to make sure I got it one without any need to gate check an item. In reality I was in the exit row but it shouldn't of been a problem and wasn't. Truth be told I've not checked my Rimowa yet and don't intend to anytime soon. Especially when I'm within the baggage rules.

Our aircraft only arrived on stand at 1550 so there was no way we would be leaving on time. Once it deplaned and luggage was offloaded the turnaround started with the cabin and flight crew arriving 10 minutes later.

Once on board I had various locker space to choose from and sat down to start my TR write up from NRT. The captain apologised for the delay, due to the late arrival and overrunning baggage loading. He also give the news no one ever wants, we would be leaving from Harleem otherwise known as 36L Polderbaan. A 15 minute taxi to take off, I never seem to avoid this place no matter what time of day I land or take off.

Once again I had paid using award miles to sit in the exit row at 12F, opposite side to the outbound.

An uneventful flight, I took the normal tea and cake for refreshments and I barely did anything else apart form tap away my TR into my iPhone. Soon the seat belt sign was on and we were descending into NCL.

At this point I had stopped writing and had done an outline for the last paragraph with the gaps for landing times to be completed at a later time. Then on approach the Captain went full throttle and aborted the landing. We climbed back up and turned left over Blyth to circle back around. This was my first go around and it came fairly early into the landing so wasn't the big dramatic moment it can be closer to ground. When the Captain came on to explain, he said it was a missed approach due to his miscalculation on the decent angle and that we were coming into high for a safe landing. Fair play to him for coming clean and not blaming this on some other reason. Safety as ever should be priority. Go around complete we lined up again and made the landing on the second time.

Arriving at the gate at 1708 or 0108 Tokyo time, it was the end to a long day travelling. Fortunately I know Newcastle well enough now living there for all my 29 years for tiredness not to have too much of an effect on me getting home. I don't need to wait for check in at home!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Final Thoughts

Well that's the final instalment of my TR. It's been an enjoyable process, I always thought it would be time consuming and certainly was. It proved useful to take my mind off sleeping when I needed to stay awake or when I was unable to sleep.

Photo and text editing takes time but it helped updating text throughout the day where possible. Hopefully I got the balance of both right. Finding time when I returned to work was most difficult but I'm pleased to of finished.

Thanks for your comments and views, hopefully this won't be my last TR. Next job is to plan a trip for later in the year after a holiday to Mexico in June.

Last edited by DaveNCL; Apr 16, 2015 at 9:46 am Reason: Typo
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Thanks for posting this wonderful report. My husband and I had reservations to visit Tokyo and Kyoto in April but unfortunately had to cancel. Your report helped soften the blow a bit. Can't wait to eventually get to Japan.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:27 am

Enjoyed reading your TR. The photos of the blossoms were very nice. Fingers crossed that we will be there next Easter.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janehoya
Thanks for posting this wonderful report. My husband and I had reservations to visit Tokyo and Kyoto in April but unfortunately had to cancel. Your report helped soften the blow a bit. Can't wait to eventually get to Japan.
Originally Posted by A1pax
Enjoyed reading your TR. The photos of the blossoms were very nice. Fingers crossed that we will be there next Easter.
Thanks janehoya and A1pax for your comments. I've been back now for nearly three weeks now and I'm seriously missing the place. I've got a trip to Mexico in June but I need to arrange travel for later in the year, as usual being back home is making me want to travel again.

I will certainly be back and as this was my first trip to Asia its opened up a new part of the world. Hopefully Vietnam next year and then maybe a trip back to Japan.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:38 pm

Thanks, DaveNCL. We have booked our flights to Japan for next Easter! So, looking forward to the trip.
Old May 12, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
I've just caught up with the rest of your report. Thanks for going to such an effort to present a detailed account of your trip! I've enjoyed reading it. It's helped me for my trip to Tokyo in June (as mentioned previously and now got my wifi and PASMO ordered!).

I'm a bit wary about eating in restaurants after your experience; and sympathise with you with regards eating alone in foreign lands. However, I got hooked on MosBurgers in Bangkok so I have fall back local option rather than McDonalds!

Thanks again for all the info you've provided, much appreciated.
Old May 12, 2015, 4:46 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
This was great thanks DaveNCL. Welcome back to Newcastle

And thanks to manymany for bumping this otherwise I would not have seen it
Old May 14, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: SQ Gold, AF Platinum, AA Platinum (sadly, expiring soon), QR Silver, EK, MU, HU, PR, HO, OZ, KE
I guess we were there at almost the same time! My trip was Nara-Osaka-Kyoto-Narita and I was in Kyoto 6-8/4, Narita 9/4 and left the next morning. The queues were quite horrendous arriving in KIX and leaving from NRT.

I should be trying to head back to the Kansai region again in Nov for the autumn colours, since I have a PVG-KIX award ticket I need to use. Let's see if we'll run into each other then.

P.S. Almost forgot... I really like your TR!
Old May 23, 2015, 9:58 pm

Thank you so much for writing & sharing your story & photos. I thoroughly enjoy reading it & seeing all the photos.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:16 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Awesome TR. Many of your experiences and pics brought back memories, I did 6 days in Japan in 1993, thanks to a very generous double miles offer from NWA. So SYD ITM in J both ways, a JR pass, Osaka to Fukuoka, Nagasaki, Tokyo, Niigata, Nikko, Osaka Kyoto, I even stayed at the Tokyo Station Hotel one night.

I was also there during Hinami.

The Japanese word "Gaijin" explains your restaurant issues.

Roughly translated it means "not Japanese or foreigner to Japan".

It is the reverse discrimiation to what a person of Asian appearance could expect in a Anglo society.

I am not sure if its due to a superior attitude , or if it happens due to a discomfort with non Japanese and concerns about language issues etc when serving you. I tend to think this is the case.

Japanese society is also very class conscious and very structured, so that could come into it as well.

I know that in the 90's as a gay man, there were many gay bars that would not welcome me in, as at that stage HIV AIDS was virtually unknown in Japan, and there was a fear that if they allowed "gaijin" in, the local boys would want to be intimate with the gaijin and there was a possibility of HIV AIDS spreading.

My comments are not critical of Japan or the Japanese, but more to offer how I understand the situation to be, I have many Japanese friends.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
DaveNCL,

Great report! Thanks for sharing.

Seeing Mt Fuji from the air was quite something.

I was at about the same places (and in different order) as you, but a few days earlier. I did’t see much blossoms in Kansai, but plenty of them in Tokyo. I thought Fushimi Inari was great.

Originally Posted by A1pax
Thanks, DaveNCL. We have booked our flights to Japan for next Easter! So, looking forward to the trip.
For A1pax and others who are contemplating a trip to Japan during Easter, here are additional notes and images that I posted in my recent report here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-sakura-f.html

Sorry DaveNCL, I didn’t mean to steal your thread.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 12:52 pm

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Thank you for this excellent TR DaveNCL – very entertaining and well written, and some excellent photography, particularly the views of Mt Fuji on departure.

I am hoping to make a visit to Japan in 2017, so this gives lots of food for thought and helpful tips. Cheers! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.