Delta Vegetarian Discomfort Plus and the JFK Fancy People Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Vegetarian Discomfort Plus and the JFK Fancy People Lounge

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
When I first read Nutraloaf on your report I thought you must be joking. I am no vegetarian but I am a criminologist and I still can't believe they did serve you Nutraloaf. I mean, it's so disgusting it's meant to be a punishment for misbehaved prison inmates!

Good that you were actually flying to Rome. I'm sure they never heard of Nutraloaf in Italy - they would put Notraloaf producers in prison there.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
I enjoyed your witty writing and perspective. Thanks for posting, LeisureClassy!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 1:48 pm

"Do I get solitary too?"

That was brilliant!

Thank you!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by LeisureClassy
Maybe Delta will redeem themselves... (fingers crossed).
And pigs learn to fly
Old Mar 25, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
Originally Posted by wrp96
They should stop calling it lacto-ovo vegetarian and just call it generic "special meal" since it's obviously intended to be used for multiple categories (it works as the non-dairy meal, and the vegan, and the....)
People born without taste buds?

OP you have my sympathy as that really does look and sound grim. I hope things improved for the rest of your trip.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Great writing, thanks for sharing!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA
LeisureClassy, thank you for writing this. Thoroughly entertaining. Please keep the TR's coming. Soon enough you'll be a hall of famer
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Nice report, and thanks for sharing an interesting perspective! 90K miles for a return flight in coach is quite a lot, or is that how bad SkyMiles has gotten these days? On the top of my mind wouldn't it have been possible to fly Business one way and Economy the other, or would that still have been too expensive.

The SkyClub looks pretty decent. Didn't know they had actual food (apart from the carrot sticks, soup and crackers).
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: United, American, Delta, Turkish, Alaska
90K was quite a lot, indeed. I didn't have quite enough to manage a business class one way (I asked), either. I figured I may as well just use them all up at once, be done with it, and put any more Delta miles on Alaska (or something else, TBD).

I will say that the lounge was great. Far better than United lounges I've seen in the US.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
With that level of sass and sense of humor... Hi, I don't think we've met, but I'm krazykanuck, you're future boyfriend. We may need a better story than we met on flyertalk.

Delta in coach. Ugh. Looks no worse than my last TATL flight on American though, but at least I got real food.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by LeisureClassy
In flight entertainment left a lot to be desired. There wasn’t much I felt like seeing, Delta had nothing on United or Turkish economy.
Sorry but can't agree as while I haven't tried TK yet felt my DL SEA-HKG flight had better IFE than UA or AC. Just MHO. Stay classy.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
Sorry but can't agree as while I haven't tried TK yet felt my DL SEA-HKG flight had better IFE than UA or AC. Just MHO. Stay classy.
I believe it really depends on equipment. While DL has fleet wide AVOD on intercontinental equipment, IMO the selection has always left a lot to be desired. Granted, I never fly UA so can't really compare much.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by cmd320
I believe it really depends on equipment. While DL has fleet wide AVOD on intercontinental equipment, IMO the selection has always left a lot to be desired.
As OP doesn't specify assuming it's the JFK - FCO DL nonstop it was likely an A330-300 whereas my SEA-HKG route was an A330-200 so IFE must be quite similar if not identical.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: AS 100K
This might be the snarkiest trip report I've read on FT - brava.

The meal and crappy AVOD makes my recent TATL Y award trip on US look humane in comparison. Delta is sinking (figuratively).
Old Mar 27, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
One of the best Y reports I've read.

Personal rant: Your food purchasing experience reminds me of how much I hate American carriers' J lounges: the entire operation reeks of a a "fur coat, no knickers" arrangement: it's a semi-public food court masquerading as a business lounge.

Your in the air experience took me back to my DL TATL Y days (in 2008-9, which is ages ago).

P.S. Do you need a token gay friend to be snarky with?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.