Reload this Page >

The Trip Report Forum Hall of Fame

The Trip Report Forum Hall of Fame

Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Thumbs up Nice work by the moderator!

Originally Posted by matthandy
I'm glad that people enjoyed the stats. They don't tell the whole picture of course, as some of you have realised. I suppose what it does highlight is that whenever someone takes the time to put together a TR it's really important to show your appreciation!

As for those people suggesting that writers are deliberately splitting up their reports to gain more views, well I disagree. Putting a TR together is an absolutely huge effort and something that can't really be done all at once. Comments keep people motivated.
Great stat! Nice work by the Moderator.

Going through the stat listed in the OP, I must say statistics don't lie at least from my perspective. Those are the posters I admire the most in this forum and read their TR frequently for enjoyment, inspiration and ideas.

I am not sure anyone who would purposely drag out a TR over a long period of time. What is the point of such a practice? This is a public forum for people to share. There is no economic benefits or personal egos involved.... main reasons I enjoy the Trip Report Forum much more than the Miles & Points Forums. People have a life outside of Flyertalk, and they share their trip reports because of their love and passion for travel. Let the trip report writers compose their TRs based on their time constrain and creativity.

As I said earlier, statistics don't lie, if a TR is no good, it does not matter how long it is been on the active mode, readers will ultimately decide whether it is worth viewing.

Thanks Matt for moderating this forum!^
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:39 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by matthandy
As for those people suggesting that writers are deliberately splitting up their reports to gain more views, well I disagree. Putting a TR together is an absolutely huge effort and something that can't really be done all at once. Comments keep people motivated.
I have to agree with matthandy.

Most of my reports are written on the road and are usualy upwards of 50 pages in MS Word, single spaced.

Add two hours per flight / lounge entry to do the coding of the images and uploading... I'd never see the daylight if I did it all at once.

I'd also add that more clicks here do not add any value for the author. The report does not add any financial gain to the author unlike other independent blogs which add value based on the number of views due to advertising. The host of the site gets all that in Flyer Talk. Just my personal opinion but other than the personal satisfaction of seeing your report read by many people, having more clicks isn't a bit deal.

Happy to be here and included in the stats. . .

Thanks all.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:34 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
First of all, thank you OP for putting this all together.

And secondly, congratulations to everyone mentioned, every one of you is at the top of their game and I appreciate everything you contribute to this community ^
Old Apr 5, 2015, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
After posting some opinions of mine that were attacked I have never written a trip report. I don't get it. They are opinions, not facts.

I loved the TR to Mecca for Haj. And the current TR that details his trip to Iran is very interesting. Sorry I don't have the posters name.

Just found this TR... 16,000 views..

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ders-look.html
Old Apr 5, 2015, 6:16 am

I agree

Originally Posted by stevie
Agree, SFO777 shows the opulent side of airplanes, hotels, and restaurants and fair play to him for sharing his experiences.

DanielW shows us a side of our world must of us will never experience.
I agree, and I always look forward reading reports from many of you... DanielW's reports are so awesome and eye opening and Mr. SFO's reports are just bring me lots of joy and makes me feel to find a way to travel one day extensively...
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I'd like to add my voice to those in support of Daniel W deserving special mention. ^

I've also quite enjoyed ironmanjt's reports over the years. ^
You all deserve mention. I love Trip Reports - and thanks OP for pulling all this together - amazing. ^
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:35 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Fantastic post, matthandy! Amazing reviews too. Wow.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
interesting stats. Thanks.

SFO777 looks like people are addicted to you.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:25 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
matthandy, what a terrific compilation. I am flattered to be in such company. And thank you for putting this together - you also deserve special mention for some of the best TR writing on FT.

I have had the pleasure of having lunch with SFO777 and he is even more charming in person than he is in prose. Much, much nicer than me. He deserves all the credit and then some. He could teach a class on TR's.

Seat2A is quite possibly one of the finest writers here. I would gladly ride a train with him anywhere (and would even be prepared to do it sober for a good portion of it). Lonely Planet should fire all those useless stoned hippies that attempt to write stuff for them and simply outsource it all to him.

And to those very nice folks who asked of my whereabouts, I have been somewhat distracted with moving house recently and coming down with a very bad dose of teenage-itis.

Our 12-year old daughter wears more make-up than that unwashed miscreant who is the lead singer for KISS. In addition, she leaves the house looking like someone spray painted her jeans on. Her room looks like a Bangkok brothel the morning after shore leave and our 14-year old son has taken up residence in the new basement and only appears at mealtimes and when he wants money. Which is sadly a lot.

To make life more interesting, we have a permanent house guest (long story, tell you later). One of my sons mates from school has parents who obviously had a very heavy piano fall on their heads at their divorce hearing. They make my wife and I look normal. He is living with us until the end of school. As in the end of term. At least I think thats what the arrangement is.

Anyway, I forget.

Apparently the family are heading to Australia this summer and if I can muster the courage, will attempt to string a few words together. My son and I are going via NRT and my wife and The Small One are going straight to Sydney via somewhere on the West Coast (on Virgin I think).

My sincere congratulations to everyone on this list. You are a large part of what makes FT, well, FT.

Bravo matthandy, Bravo.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:49 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by eightblack
matthandy, what a terrific compilation. I am flattered to be in such company. And thank you for putting this together - you also deserve special mention for some of the best TR writing on FT.

I have had the pleasure of having lunch with SFO777 and he is even more charming in person than he is in prose. Much, much nicer than me. He deserves all the credit and then some. He could teach a class on TR's.

Seat2A is quite possibly one of the finest writers here. I would gladly ride a train with him anywhere (and would even be prepared to do it sober for a good portion of it). Lonely Planet should fire all those useless stoned hippies that attempt to write stuff for them and simply outsource it all to him.

And to those very nice folks who asked of my whereabouts, I have been somewhat distracted with moving house recently and coming down with a very bad dose of teenage-itis.

Our 12-year old daughter wears more make-up than that unwashed miscreant who is the lead singer for KISS. In addition, she leaves the house looking like someone spray painted her jeans on. Her room looks like a Bangkok brothel the morning after shore leave and our 14-year old son has taken up residence in the new basement and only appears at mealtimes and when he wants money. Which is sadly a lot.

To make life more interesting, we have a permanent house guest (long story, tell you later). One of my sons mates from school has parents who obviously had a very heavy piano fall on their heads at their divorce hearing. They make my wife and I look normal. He is living with us until the end of school. As in the end of term. At least I think thats what the arrangement is.

Anyway, I forget.

Apparently the family are heading to Australia this summer and if I can muster the courage, will attempt to string a few words together. My son and I are going via NRT and my wife and The Small One are going straight to Sydney via somewhere on the West Coast (on Virgin I think).

My sincere congratulations to everyone on this list. You are a large part of what makes FT, well, FT.

Bravo matthandy, Bravo.
Eightblack - nice to see you back on here, and thanks for the laugh. You do realise that a TR is not an optional extra to your holiday, think of it as a mandatory requirement
Old Apr 16, 2015, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by wtcmor
Eightblack - nice to see you back on here, and thanks for the laugh. You do realise that a TR is not an optional extra to your holiday, think of it as a mandatory requirement
I figure writing trip reports is cheaper than therapy for him.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA MP Club (no status)
May I just congratulate you, matthandy, on an absolutely fantastic post? I love it! <3 I look forward to reading the reports I missed!
Old Apr 20, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by eightblack
Seat2A is quite possibly one of the finest writers here. I would gladly ride a train with him anywhere (and would even be prepared to do it sober for a good portion of it).
Were we to ever ride a train together, eightblack, it would be my pleasure to shout you a round or three - preferably from my own bottle of Woodford Reserve. In the meantime, you and yours have a great weekend getaway practically in your backyard via Amtrak's California Zephyr up to Glenwood Springs. Leave Denver in the morning, arrive GLN early afternoon. Next day return early afternoon, arrive Denver early evening. Along the way is arguably the finest rail borne scenery through the Amtrak system.

violist, lili and I once shared a bottle of Russell's Reserve on the train from Denali to Fairbanks. Fellow Flyertalker jlemon recently came down to the tracks and brought me a nicely chilled Cajun Bloody Mary when I passed through Lafayette, LA on the Sunset Limited a couple of weeks ago. That'd be a great new tradition - meeting folks for drinks on the rails. Maybe we could have a Flyertalk DO on the rails. The foamers wouldn't know what to make of that!

In the meantime, thanks again to matthandy for putting in the time and effort to compile these statistics. I am honored to be mentioned amongst the many fine reporters who have contributed to this forum and am slowly working on yet another trip report that will hopefully not detract from my current ratings. At present I am "stuck" in the COPA Club at PTY awaiting my overnight flight to Sao Paulo. Vicodin and whiskey (in small amounts) is making it at least tolerable. On to Johannesburg tomorrow night!

Last edited by Seat 2A; Apr 24, 2015 at 2:38 am
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
What a great analysis, matthandy! I recognized every one of those posts and wasn't surprised by the top TR's and authors!

Thanks again! ^

Last edited by MarylandFlyer244; Apr 21, 2015 at 9:05 pm Reason: Bolding

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.