Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Trip To DR Congo & Rwanda

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 8:07 am

Thank you, love being able to share your adventures
fantastic pictures as always, good mixture of people and scenery
have you thought about putting together a book about your travels with the pictures?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Spymon
Another excellent report. Great balance between text and photos as always. Can't wait to read about your next adventure.
Thank you, Spymon. Next TR is for 12 days of travel to 4 new countries so will need quite a bit of work.

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
Thank you, love being able to share your adventures
fantastic pictures as always, good mixture of people and scenery
have you thought about putting together a book about your travels with the pictures?
Many thanks, jerseygirl. Yes, I plan to self-publish a book eventually, perhaps with some of my best and memorable shots. I haven't printed many of my photo's so will be good to have a physical copy for both myself and to share with friends and family.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:42 am

Best trip reports are always Daniel's. Thanks for sharing the wonderful TR with us
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Fabulous report Daniel. You do get to some fascinating places. Loved the night shot of the stars and township lights.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 2:59 pm

It's always a treat to read your trip reports - thanks for the great photos and write up!
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:38 pm

I meant to ask before - how do you go about finding your "fixers" on the ground in these seldom-visited places? Seems like a bit more than a posting on Craigslist!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DL17
Best trip reports are always Daniel's. Thanks for sharing the wonderful TR with us
Thanks for the great compliment, DL17.

Originally Posted by Moomba
Fabulous report Daniel. You do get to some fascinating places. Loved the night shot of the stars and township lights.
Many thanks, Moomba. I got up in the middle of the night and when I saw the cloud had cleared with the stars above and city lights below, figured I had to get the camera out and take a few shots.

Originally Posted by Nepasser
It's always a treat to read your trip reports - thanks for the great photos and write up!
Thank you, Nepasser, always fun to share my travels with everyone here.

Originally Posted by schreibsman
I meant to ask before - how do you go about finding your "fixers" on the ground in these seldom-visited places? Seems like a bit more than a posting on Craigslist!
The Lonelyplanet forums are a good source of info (Somalia, Iraq, Yemen), as are trip reports from this forum from hauteboy etc (Iran, Algeria, Afghanistan). For this trip the Virunga National Park had a list of recommended guides/companies which was very helpful: http://visitvirunga.org/touroperators/
Old Mar 29, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: QF WP LTG
As other have said, another spectacular trip report Daniel, bravo.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by snabbu
As other have said, another spectacular trip report Daniel, bravo.
Many thanks, snabbu, great to share my travels here with everyone.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 11:35 pm

That gorilla experience - god, I'd love to be there!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
That gorilla experience - god, I'd love to be there!
Yes, certainly a 'must do'! Have been wanting to see the mountain gorilla's for a while and it definitely didn't disappoint.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 1:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Absolutely wonderful. I have had the pleasure of going to Kigali on the odd occasion while en route to Bukhavu (southerly point of Lake Kivu), and always wondered about the Northern part but was advised by Corporate Security that is was not a good idea. (Mind you, I was "apparently" not allowed to go to Eritrea, but I did.........).

Kigali always struck me as a clean, neat and friendly city. Hope to go back soon.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Absolutely wonderful. I have had the pleasure of going to Kigali on the odd occasion while en route to Bukhavu (southerly point of Lake Kivu), and always wondered about the Northern part but was advised by Corporate Security that is was not a good idea. (Mind you, I was "apparently" not allowed to go to Eritrea, but I did.........).

Kigali always struck me as a clean, neat and friendly city. Hope to go back soon.
Thanks, roadwarrier. Gisenyi (on north side of Lake Kivu) seemed fine. Right on the DRC border, but was nice and clean like the rest of Rwanda.

Yes, was surprised how clean and orderly Kigali was, could have easily spent a few more days there.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:47 am

Daniel, do you take malarone when you go to Africa?
To be honest the weakest link to me was "being bitten alive" by mosquitos part
where you didn't mention a risk of getting malaria...
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Daniel, do you take malarone when you go to Africa?
To be honest the weakest link to me was "being bitten alive" by mosquitos part
where you didn't mention a risk of getting malaria...
I didn't get bitten too much, nothing annoying anyway. Much more bites from the ants anyway. I took Lariam for malaria, the only medication the pharmacy at work had. Not supposed to be the best medication for side-effects. I had a few 'interesting' dreams but nothing too bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.