Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Working Remote, a month in Penang and Koh Lanta, Thailand + HK, Beijing (CX/JL/KA F)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Working Remote, a month in Penang and Koh Lanta, Thailand + HK, Beijing (CX/JL/KA F)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2015, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by t_cliff
You can spread a bit of the sauce in the condiments tray onto the crepe, put 1 of each of the condiments, plus a piece of the peking duck. Roll up the crepe like burrito and enjoy. Very nice indeed.
Yep, that's what I did. The first waitress told me to dip the skin of the duck in sugar, which was definitely tasty. Another came by with the crepes a bit later and told me to wrap up the duck and condiments.

Originally Posted by Firemansam
I could not agree more, the worst food i have ever eaten in Thailand was room service ordered from a fairly upmarket hotel on Koh Samui, was feeling it for days after that experience.
Definitely. The only times I've had truly bad food in Thailand was when I went anywhere that westerners might be in charge. Not that all western food in Thailand is bad, just that the odds are against you.

Originally Posted by moondog
I'm happy to hear that the Beijing portion of your trip went smoothly and thank you for the mention (regarding the "FC-->Beihai Park-->Gulou" jaunt).

Regarding your hotel selection, IMO staying in Chaoyang is FAR better than staying downtown for almost all people. During your trip, you really only needed to go downtown once (to kick of the FC++ circuit). After completing it, you were in Gulou, which isn't especially far from the Hilton. Furthermore, downtown is pretty much dead at night (save a few touristy markets) and lacks extensive/quality dining options, whereas this is certainly not the case on the east side.

I typically try to hit Made in China at 1130a before heading over to Tiananmen. While it can be really hot in the FC at 1p, it's also usually less crowded then. For people that are anxious to fill their mornings with other sites, I advise them to start at Temple of Heaven (and meet me at Made in China).
Thanks for the tips! For my first trip to Beijing I was pretty satisfied with my itinerary. I didn't pack in too many sights (FC/Beihai/Gulou on day one, Great Wall on the second). Since it was the end of my trip I wasn't up to a full day of a sightseeing.

The Made in China recommendation was also great. The Sichuan chicken was fantastic, though incredibly spicy.

I don't feel a huge need to go back to Beijing. Not that I've thoroughly explored it, it just didn't grab hold of me like HK or Tokyo. If I'm able to go to mainland China again I think I'll start in Shanghai next time.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 5:15 pm

Really enjoying this trip report. Wonderful pictures and even better food! Thanks so much for sharing. Good luck on the job search (ugh).
Old Mar 29, 2015, 9:39 pm

Really nice trip report! Seeing KA F was news to me and I was shocked to see caviar as part of the meal service. Reading what you had to go through for the transit visa in Beijing sounds exactly like what I happened to me two years ago, nice to see they haven't quite fixed it yet. In regards to the hotel, I can say that you would not have been disappointed with the Hilton at Wangfujing, excellent recognition of HH Gold and is still one of the best hotel stays I have had anywhere.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Part 11: JL PEK-NRT and Narita

After Beijing, my trip was almost over save for an afternoon in Narita town. I flew JL C PEK-NRT and spent the night at the Hilton Narita. I considered going into Tokyo but since I spent four nights there just a few months ago (and that definitely wasn't my first time) I decided to take things slow and just stay out in Narita.

Surprisingly for a capitol-to-capitol route on an Asian flag carrier, JL servies PEK-NRT with a 737:

Security and emigration at PEK were quick. I spent my remaining yuan on some treats at duty free. After that I only had about 20 minutes in the JL contract lounge before boarding.

The flight was quick and uneventful.

Mediocre breakfast.

Immigration at NRT didn't take too long on arrival. I wound up waiting about 40 minutes for the Hilton shuttle.

Okay then...

I dropped my bags in the room and hopped on the free shuttle into Narita. I grabbed some takoyaki at a stand near the train station and walked down Nakamise-dori. After three days in Beijing (with an AQI of >250) I just spent my afternoon walking around the temple grounds enjoying some clean air.

Spring blossoms had just begun.

I'd read that Narita specializes in my favorite Japanese food, unagi-don, so after enjoying the calm of the temple gardens I walked back towards the village and grabbed some eel.

After dinner, I went to a bar famous as a watering hole for flight crews from around the world:

Complete with a dog trained to step around your beer while he walks along the bar.

After a quiet night it was time to go home.

Up next: JL F to ORD
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:09 pm

Programs: S* Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Looking forward to your Nrt-ord flight as I will be doing the same in September!
Old Apr 24, 2015, 11:59 pm
Original Poster

Part 12: JL F NRT-ORD

I enjoyed a light breakfast at the Hilton before hopping on the shuttle back to NRT. Check-in was quick and JL's private security area for F pax got me into the terminal quick as could be.

The JL F lounge is nice but not amazing, mostly because of how crowded it was. The alcohol selection was top-notch and there's a sushi bar with two chefs but at 9am I wasn't terribly interested in either. There are also complimentary 15 minute massages but I forgot to book mine until halfway through my time in the lounge and by then there were no more slots available before my flight.

When I left the lounge I noticed stairs and a sign to another JL F lounge upstairs, so I'm not entirely sure if I went to the right place or missed something.

While in the lounge I realized I'd left my Kindle at the Hilton but at that point there was no way to get it in time for my flight. I called the front desk and they did find it and arranged to mail it back me (postage due which miraculously only came out to $10) but trust me, NRT is not somewhere you want to be stuck with no reading material!

The only bookstore I could find in the JL terminal had a lousy selection of English-language books. I got lucky though: between the Tom Clancy novels and romance paperbacks was a copy of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, a fantastic philosophical chautauqua. When I found it I recalled a computer science professor who recommended the book so I grabbed it. I hoped that between that book and the copy of The Economist I took from the lounge I'd be entertained for the flight (JL isn't known for their IFE selection).

The book was fantastic and way better than what I'd been reading on my Kindle, so it worked out.

Anyways, back to the flight. I stopped at duty-free and bought a bunch of Kitkats and other treats for friends back home and boarded the plane.

I'd flown this flight in reverse last November and the hard product was the same. Still fantastic, my second-favorite F seat behind LH on the refurbished 744.

Some champagne to calm my nerves after all that book-drama.

Amazingly the flight was boarded and doors closed in less than 20 minutes.

After we got in the air the pre-menu bite was delivered. The most confusing thing about JL, for me, is this. Why on earth don't they put in on the menu?

A table setting was laid after that.

And then the meal actually began.

On the left, Green Asparagus, Mozzarella & Duck Raw Ham scented with Lemon. On the right, Cod Brandade, Tomato & Pine Nuts with Sherry Vinegar Jelly.

JL does a great job with their bread. Today was Fougasse, Rye Bread, Cereal Bread, and Special Bread from MAISON KAYSER (which I assume is one of the fancy French bakeries that's popped up in Tokyo).

Caviar with salmon tartare.

Wagyu beef filet with risotto.

Mmmmmm.

I'm a *huge* fan of JL's cheese service. On my JL flight in back in November it was one of the best parts of the meal and today was the same. Last time was better though, each cheese came with a specific accompaniment and the pairings were sublime.

Dessert today was a Strawberry & Coconut Blanc-manger with Raspberry & Strawberry Granité.

I'm a big fan of JL's catering. Higher quality than CX but without the wacky items that pop up on LH flights (nobody wants a green tomato confit for dessert, ever). Given the ease of earning AA miles and reliable award availability, JL is easily my favorite carrier for TPAC travel.

After the table was cleared, a post-meal treat from Jean-Paul Hevin was brought over:

Who can say no to macaroons?

I finished up with JL's coffee service—a french press at your seat!

I was so engrossed in my book that I barely slept on this flight because I just wanted to keep reading. I spent most of the remaining ~9 hours reading and sipping JL's cold green tea. Incredibly refreshing, especially given the warm cabin temperature on this flight.

About halfway through I ordered a snack.

JL's signature curry. Tastier than it looks.

"Spring Vegetable Salad"

Dessert plate with a trio of Fôret Noire with Pistachio Cream, Fromage Blanc with "Sakura" Jelly and a Chocolate Tart.

Shortly before landing I ordered the roast beef sandwich and a fantastically-prepared fruit plate.

Look at that lemon peel!

Our pre-dawn approach into a snow-covered Chicago was surreal:

Global Entry got me through immigration and customs so fast my feet almost didn't stop moving and my bag was the very first out. I even managed to score PreCheck on my domestic leg. No idea if it helped but I scanned my GE card at the AA kiosk when I reprinted my boarding pass. A brief stop in the AA Flagship Lounge, a forgettable domestic flight and I was home again.

Last edited by txflyer77; Dec 6, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Old Apr 25, 2015, 12:11 am
Original Poster

Conclusion

5 weeks. Hong Kong, Penang, Koh Lanta, Krabi, Hong Kong again, Beijing and Narita. CX, JL, KA, TG, AA and a tiny prop plane. $300 bottles of Salon on JL and 50c plates of curry in Thailand.

Quite a trip.

No concrete plans yet since I don't really know where things are going for me ATM but I'm hoping to spend a month working from Tokyo next year, maybe even with a swing back through Lanta afterwards. There's also a chance I'll be going to Istanbul and Scotland in the fall and I'm eyeing a very attractive TK C award with NH miles. Either way, always looking for the next adventure.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 1:03 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Wow, what a wonderful report and super pictures of some delicious looking food.

Thanks for taking the time to post. ^
Old Apr 25, 2015, 3:01 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Great report and what a perk form your former job. Sorry it seems to of gone wrong at some stage.

Started this report a few weeks back on your first post then lost track of it. Nice to get to read the full report in one go.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Moomba
Wow, what a wonderful report and super pictures of some delicious looking food.

Thanks for taking the time to post. ^
Originally Posted by DaveNCL
Great report and what a perk form your former job. Sorry it seems to of gone wrong at some stage.

Started this report a few weeks back on your first post then lost track of it. Nice to get to read the full report in one go.
Thanks! Glad to finally have it all written up.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:40 pm

I thoroughly enjoyed this trip report. Asia in combination with a lot of food pictures is always good in my book.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Amazing report, op;
-many thanks for taking the time to document your travels
-I also like jl f, ex-japan
-your company policy is really cool; in fact, we're planning on implementing something similar based, in part, on this trip report
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HangukStyle
I thoroughly enjoyed this trip report. Asia in combination with a lot of food pictures is always good in my book.
Thanks! My favorite part about traveling in Asia is always the food.

Originally Posted by moondog
Amazing report, op;
-many thanks for taking the time to document your travels
-I also like jl f, ex-japan
-your company policy is really cool; in fact, we're planning on implementing something similar based, in part, on this trip report
Glad you enjoyed it!

Careful implementing the same policy, my former company eliminated it just after firing me.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
txflyer, I wonder if you and I ate at the same place when I spent a few hours in Narita. The meal presentation, even the bowl, look eel-ily familiar.

Mine, from February:

Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
txflyer, I wonder if you and I ate at the same place when I spent a few hours in Narita. The meal presentation, even the bowl, look eel-ily familiar.

Mine, from February:

Could be the same! The patterns on the table are the same.

Unagi is one of my favorite foods, though I've had better than what I found in Narita.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.