Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Philippines + Tokyo (CX F, NH F, Marco Polo, Conrad, El Nido)

Philippines + Tokyo (CX F, NH F, Marco Polo, Conrad, El Nido)

Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:12 am

Programs: VA WP, NZ *A SG
Great TR. I was in El Nido over New Years. Loved the ITI Air experience!
Im in two minds about the Philippines - I enjoyed it but doubt I would go back. The beaches and people were lovely and its one of the cheapest places I've ever visited but they have a lonnnnnnng way to go before they can compete with the likes of Thailand and Vietnam in the tourist stakes.
NAIA Airport is absolute hell on earth. The food everywhere was very bland (I did not have one memorable dish because herbs and spices dont seem to be used at all), the towns were absolutely filthy and the service at restaurants absolutely HOPELESS. They couldnt get anything right.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Plat No 0010XXX, AA Plat 2 MM, Sinbad Blue, HHonors Dia., Marriott Titanium, IHG Amb
Thanks for the trip report

Really liked your photo summary. These are 2 airlines I rarely get to enjoy.
Your Conrad pics bring back many years of fond memories. Best wishes. John.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JohnSydney2000
Really liked your photo summary. These are 2 airlines I rarely get to enjoy.
Your Conrad pics bring back many years of fond memories. Best wishes. John.
Thanks JohnSydney2000 I was really impressed with the Conrad and am looking forward to going back. Hope you get to enjoy CX and NH in the future!
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Great report. This is pretty much a dream trip: first class on two fantastic airlines, some quality time more or less off the grid in the Philippines (one of my favourite places) and then going urban in Tokyo (one of my favourite cities). Nice! ^
Thanks mad_atta It really was a dream trip. Currently figuring out how to top it with another one in the near future
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smit0847
Great TR. I was in El Nido over New Years. Loved the ITI Air experience!
Im in two minds about the Philippines - I enjoyed it but doubt I would go back. The beaches and people were lovely and its one of the cheapest places I've ever visited but they have a lonnnnnnng way to go before they can compete with the likes of Thailand and Vietnam in the tourist stakes.
NAIA Airport is absolute hell on earth. The food everywhere was very bland (I did not have one memorable dish because herbs and spices dont seem to be used at all), the towns were absolutely filthy and the service at restaurants absolutely HOPELESS. They couldnt get anything right.
Thanks smit0847 I've never been to Thailand or Vietnam, so have a hard time comparing it to much. NAIA is not great. Terminal 3 (the newest) is somewhat of an upgrade and bearable, compared to the domestic terminal. I have to disagree with you re: the food. It couldn't have been better at the places we stopped. I think the least memorable food was at El Nido, but in Manila and Cebu, I had some of the best lechon, fresh fish, sisig (pork face), tocino (cured pork), among many other local delicacies. Filthy is all relative and subjective. NYC is just as, if not more filthy than anything I saw in the Philippines. Thanks for reading! ^
Old Mar 18, 2015, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW4
Your pics are great. I also am a New Yorker and am so sorry to hear about the Citi Storage fire. Must tell you that menu to NYC from NRT on NH is the same, but from JFK-NRT NH serves a great blue cheese burger for a snack... My family and I are going to NRT next month, and we are all staying at the CONRAD as well...
Thanks RTW4 Enjoy the Conrad! The bleu burger sounds great, I'll have to make that happen!
Old Mar 30, 2015, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Video

If any of you are interested, see my video here, about 5 minutes worth of two weeks in the Philippines. Enjoy

Last edited by benjahman; Jan 12, 2016 at 12:18 pm Reason: added embedded video
Old Mar 31, 2015, 3:44 pm

Great report.

ANA's food has gone downhill in the last few years. I just did JAL in F for 2 trips and their food now puts ANA in the shade. It used to be the other way round!
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:36 pm
formerly ltabi

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Explorist
Amazing pictures! Thank you for sharing
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ltabi
Amazing pictures! Thank you for sharing
Thanks ltabi!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.