30th B'day trip to Park Hyatt Dubai (Terrace suite) QF F vs QR F showdown

30th B'day trip to Park Hyatt Dubai (Terrace suite) QF F vs QR F showdown

Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Great report, thanks!

Greg
Old Mar 11, 2015, 3:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Great TR thank you... You take excellent pics and your commentary is fantastic.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Fantastic report as always, Jermyn. And extremely useful as a source of tourist information about Dubai, a destination about which I am in a constant state of indecision about whether to book a trip to (or stopover in). I would dearly love to see the Burj Dubai, and there are clearly some stunning hotels and excellent restaurants. And yet I can't escape the suspicion that for the most part Dubai is just empty spectacle, and I'd be better off spending my precious annual leave in any number of other fascinating places I have yet to visit.

So my question is this: for those of us who are bored by mall-hopping, and for whom good restaurants and hotels are nice-to-have features of a destination, rather than destinations in themselves, is Dubai actually worth it?
Old Mar 14, 2015, 3:51 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by Carq
Thats a really nice report and a good guide for eating and drinking in style in Dubai. As this is a good one, Im going to read your two older TRs.
Thanks Carq, I hope you enjoy the other TRs too!

Originally Posted by JamieABZ
Oh. My. Word!
Stunning report - you out-do yourself every time!
I'm sitting here in awe trying to pick my chin off the floor!
Thanks for the kind words JamieABZ. Comment like yours make my day!

Originally Posted by greg99
Great report, thanks!

Greg
Thanks for reading greg99

Originally Posted by SAtraveller
Great TR thank you... You take excellent pics and your commentary is fantastic.
Thanks SAtraveller. Although if you think a pic is good, chances are that K took it on her fancy blogger camera

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Fantastic report as always, Jermyn. And extremely useful as a source of tourist information about Dubai, a destination about which I am in a constant state of indecision about whether to book a trip to (or stopover in). I would dearly love to see the Burj Dubai, and there are clearly some stunning hotels and excellent restaurants. And yet I can't escape the suspicion that for the most part Dubai is just empty spectacle, and I'd be better off spending my precious annual leave in any number of other fascinating places I have yet to visit.

So my question is this: for those of us who are bored by mall-hopping, and for whom good restaurants and hotels are nice-to-have features of a destination, rather than destinations in themselves, is Dubai actually worth it?
Thanks mad_atta!
I think one thing to consider here is location. Being in London I can get to Dubai for a long weekend and it is a phenomenal escape from the grim void that England can sometimes be.

If I had to travel 14 hours to get there would I bother? Honestly? I'd find a way to make it a stopover and then carry on somewhere else. The Burj Khalifa is truly a sight to behold but it can be seen in a day.

That being said, as a playground to just relax and unwind Dubai has a lot going for it. Also, as m0hammed mentioned, there are some very cool things to do out in the desert. Ultimately a travel destination tends to be defined by its geography, whereas cities converge towards homogeneity.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 12:15 pm

I always enjoy your trip reports and this one did not let me down. Thanks for taking the time to post all the pics and give some good insight. The PH looks great, really thought that gym had a good selection of equipment/weights, food looks amazing (those egg benes), and the landscaping was eye catching. BTW, my fianc is obsessed with K's site
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:25 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Thanks benjahman. If you're looking for a hotel to spend all day at, you can't go far wrong with the PH.

I'll let K know, she'll be really happy to hear that!
Old Mar 15, 2015, 9:21 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Part 5: QR F A330-300 (DXB-DOH-LHR) + Al Mourjan Lounge

The location of the PH makes getting to DXB incredibly easy and stress free. We enjoyed a final swim and a leisurely breakfast before checking out. We were taken by one of the PH sedans as QR doesn't offer a complimentary limo service.

The regional terminal at DXB is quite a different beast to the sparkling new Emirates facility. This was more along the lines of Wichita or Bournemouth than an international hub.

There was a lot of scaffolding and hoarding around, indicating that work was being done to improve things but really, QR have it tough trying to deliver a premium experience out of such a facility.

The lounge used by QR is a contract lounge which is bizarrely located, within a transit hotel. We knew the deal so planned ahead to only spend 30 minutes there. The food and (especially) the beverage selection were actually not bad. But the decor just carries this unshakeable veneer of aging sadness.

To my friends in the free pour world, those are called optics. They are the reason people don't tip at regular bars in the UK.

QR F DXB-DOH

A330-300
QR1007 12:30-12:35 (1h05m)

Seat 1A 3/12

Soon enough it was time for us to board.

We headed over to the gate area and were surprised to see an A330 parked up. As a man who has been TG'ed more than once, a last minute equipment change usually brings with it a sense of dread.

In this instance it brought a chance to familiarise myself with the product which would be flying us the rest of the way home. There was only one other passenger with us in the F cabin. Beyond us was a completely empty J cabin followed by economy, somewhere in the distance.

We were warmly greeted and offered PDBs and menus upon boarding. I just went with water and was asked to order my meal and drinks pre take-off as the flight is so short.

It's not every day you see one of these parked next to you.

I said I'd have a macchiato with my lunch as I was still in more of a breakfast frame of mind.

Another FA cam around offering Arabic coffee and dates but I declined the coffee and just took a date, saying that I'd wait for my macchiato later.

Moments later the first FA came out saying that I'd mentioned my macchiato, did I want it now? I said that no, I was happy to wait. She seemed quite relieved that no service error had been made.

However she did notice that I'd been trying to get a stain out of my white trousers, using my water. She said she had something better and came back moments later with a special clothes cleaning spray and a choice of hot or cold towel to assist in the process.

The cleaning spray worked really well. "I'm so glad, they look perfect!" said the FA. The ME3 crews get accused of being a little cold at times but this FA was far from it.

We took off on time and swept along the coast, with great views of Dubai below.

The World. A work in progress

I opted for the chicken tikka which was served alongside a pudding, on a single tray, absolutely understandable given the flight time.

The food was pretty decent, though unmemorable.

My coffee was excellent. I don't know how some airlines can still get an espresso wrong in their premium cabins.

Within a few minutes of clearing the tables the cabin crew were preparing the cabin for landing.

The Qatari coast

For a one hour flight, this was about as good of a product as you could hope for, short of flying private.

DOH and the Al Mourjan lounge

The DOH Hamad International Airport is a brand new facility and it shows. The design is very sleek and modern, with plenty of dark marble, creative lighting and indoor palm trees. The centrepiece is this monstrosity below:

A $6.8million testament to the fact that money cannot buy taste.

Bizarrely, there seemed to be absolutely nobody around. Maybe things are changing as more airlines fly there or perhaps midday is just the quietest time of day. Either way I was surprised to see so few people there.

One point I have to mention is that all of the staff at the airport were fantastic. The transit security were super friendly and every cleaner smiled and wished me a good afternoon.

Al Mourjan Lounge

The Al Mourjan lounge is the facility currently used by both F and J passengers departing DOH. It is located on the first floor and is accessible via a very long escalator, guarded by a primary dragon.

Once you get upstairs there is a further check to ensure eligibility for access. A young guy spoke to the downstairs dragon, saying he was going to the lounge to upgrade his ticket, only to immediately turn back around when asked to show his boarding pass upstairs... can't blame him for trying.

Once our boarding passes were scanned we were given a brief tour of the facility by a member of staff. I believe that at the time cabin crew were being brought in to help although I'm unsure if this is still the case. The staff member was obviously very proud of the lounge and dotted her speech with adjectives such as luxurious, elegant and beautiful whilst explaining the lounge to us.

Initial seating area. The entrance counter is located behind the glass.

Seating area to the left as you enter the lounge

Looking right as you enter the lounge

The Al Mourjan lounge is quite frankly spectacular. Your first instinct is much like that of a child stepping into Disney World, 'I have to try everything... now'.

The blue chair areas are great for setting up your laptop and hanging out for a while.

Continuing on past the blue seats you come to the casual dining area. Here you can get sandwiches, salads and other quick and light meal options.

Following the lounge around in a clockwise direction you come to the lounge areas facing the runways.

Once you've grabbed your coffee you can head to the business centre (which looked to be a very large and comprehensive facility) or you could head to the games room:

In the runway seating area there is an abundance of natural light, something which can be really helpful when wanting to overcome the fatigue of long haul travel.

Much like the blue seat area, the seating here has plenty of power points as well as tablets, should you not have your own device.

I also loved the fact that there were little packages of Arabic sweets wrapped in Qatar ribbons, placed at every table alongside bottles of mineral water.

Heading back into the main lounge, there is a central seating area running down the middle. This is more for comfy lounging as opposed to working.

In terms of design, it is my favourite area of the lounge. The textures, colours and lighting are all top notch. Sitting here next to the reflecting pool feels genuinely special.

The reflecting pool

At the far end of the reflecting pool is a staircase leading to the formal dining area.

There is a main buffet area in the centre of the room with more private seating along the edges of the room.

These seats remind me of SQ J, only narrower

At the end of these wings of seats are doors leading to a family seating area. Families do appear to be well cared for at the Al Mourjan lounge between the private seating and the games room.

We took a seat on the far edge of the dining area, with views of the entire lounge below.

I took some starters from the starter buffet, which were really good. Anything, spicy, stewed or slow cooked works really well in a buffet (or reheated on an airplane), so the lamb chops worked perfectly. The selection of mezze was excellent too.

One of the huge selling points of this lounge is that they serve Krug! The logic with this is similar to the thinking aboard the A380 bar. If an F customer is going to be there, as a result of it being the top level facility available to them, then QR will cater to them rather than the lowest common denominator, so to speak.

I then ordered the fillet steak rare. This came well done and I suspect this is because the catering for the lounge is done together with the onboard food. The lounge kitchen must just be responsible for plating and presenting rather than cooking.

The presentation was great but the meat definitely didn't taste like it had just been cooked from raw.

K's strategy of only ordering dessert worked out really well!

The pistachio pudding was delicious

Overall the Al Mourjan lounge experience is one of the best in the World. QR's strategy is, as with EK and EY one in which they hope to capture market share based on geographic location and access to cheap fuel.

As a result, they rely on customers being prepared to transit in DOH. Going forward, I would not hesitate to fly QR J to Asia from Europe. The transit experience is something I will now actively look forward to. There is no question in my mind, QR J with a stopover in DOH is preferable to BA J direct in every way except for time. If you are on holiday and happy to 'lose' a few hours, drinking Krug in luxurious surroundings; I'd recommend you give it a try.

On the way to our gate we passed another giant (and no doubt very expensive) sculpture. This one actually doubles up as a children's play area.

And for good measure, one more a few gates further along:

QR F DOH-LHR

A330-300
QR5 16:35-22:00

Seat 1A 5/12

We boarded on time and were immediately offered Krug and canapes.

We were also given Giorgio Armani branded amenity kits.

The female amenity kit contents

The male kit (silver as opposed to gold accents)

As far as contents go, this has to be one of the most generous amenity kits out there (alongside SQ F)

The kits come with cologne, shower gel and aftershave/ moisturiser.

Two things I found strange, the bag itself has a very cheap feel as a result of the satin material, not durable at all. Secondly, the kit contains a full size shower gel despite the fact that QR is the only ME3 airline without an onboard shower.

Upon boarding we were also handed a very extensive wine list and menu each. Apologies for the picture quality on some of these. My next travel related purchase will definitely be a camera that can take pictures in low light.

Just before the meal service I took the opportunity to take some more detailed shots of the seat and cabin.

An odd thing about the F seats on QR outside of the A380 is that the window seats have considerably more personal space than the centre seats. Although I understand that the storage space behind the divider is intended for the window passenger whereas the storage on the open side is intended for the aisle passenger. In practice this would be quite awkward though, as clearly both lockers are within the personal space of the window passenger.

The area to the right of K is intended as a locker for the aisle passenger and not a table for her.

Ultra high-level detail shot: I liked the fact that there was a divider to stop your belongings sliding into another passenger's seat during take off and landing.

We asked to dine together, an experience which was very comfortable. There is no extender but the table is large enough to accommodate two people without any issues.

The companion seat has plenty of room so on this occasion I wasn't too bothered about reprising my role of 'buddy' (not something I can say for any 747 ever).

The caviar came in an individual tin with all the garnishes kept separate.

One thing we've all learned in this hobby is that metal spoons are the devil. So you'll be glad to hear that QR provided a very nice mother of pearl instrument with which to eat the luminescent beads of oscietra.

K skipped the caviar as she just wanted something light. She went with the roasted tomato soup, made considerably less light by smashing through most of this bread basket :

In between courses we were brought a refreshing palate cleanser of lemon and mint sorbet.

K opted to have the lobster ravioli appetiser as a main course, it was really good. The prawn bisque in particular had a deep and rich umami flavour, whilst the pasta was thin enough to let the lobster shine:

I opted for the tandoori malai prawns, which had a great charred flavour to them. The rice wasn't too great although I have been spoiled by Asian carriers with their onboard rice cookers.

I continued to drink Krug throughout the meal whilst K switched to water. We also skipped dessert and just had a small box of Godiva chocolates each.

Not exactly healthy eating but a step in the right direction right?

After our meal we both asked for a turndown service, although unfortunately there were no PJs available (the A380 on the same route offers Missoni PJs). I asked for the aisle seat to be made up so that I could switch back to the seat at my leisure. The FA was happy to oblige.

As far as F bedding goes QR didn't really provide any 'bells and whistles'. No memory foam or tempurpedic mattress topper, quite an ordinary feeling blanket and a couple of light synthetic pillows. Still, with the screens up this definitely feels more private and spacious than every J class out there with the exception of row 11 on SQ 777s. I've not yet flown BA F although I will be doing so next week in a 747 so will report back in a future report.

Before getting into bed, I watched the sun set over the clouds, with a glass of Krug. I spent some time contemplating the awesomeness of the moment. The richest most powerful men in history up until 50 years ago, leaders of empires, were never able to witness such a spectacle in such comfort all whilst covering astonishing distances, the world below condensed to a distant picture.

This is probably an underlying sentiment which drives a lot of us to spend time on FT. We understand the exceptional nature of air travel and are eager to dedicate as much time and resources as we can to making the experience as special as possible.

Once the sun set, the cabin lighting was switched over to night mode.

I unpacked my headphones and settled down to watch a movie.

The headphones were decent enough although not the super high-end Bose headphones found on other airlines. The IFE is obviously old but by no means unwatchable. For a flight of this length it is totally adequate. I actually had an iPad with me but for some reason I just like plugging into the IFE and watching movies that I otherwise may not have bothered with. The weeks leading up to a trip always involve K and I holding off on watching things at home, so as not to 'spoil' the IFE when we fly.

Although I had been hoping that QR would load Chateau d'Yquem on this flight, I was out of luck. It is probably the single most expensive bottle of alcohol loaded on any commercial airline, so it makes sense that it wouldn't always be available.

However, the Pichon Lalande had caught my eye. This is a particularly good wine, one of the 'super second' wines classified as second growths (as opposed to the top-tier 1er crus) but in many instances holding their own against their considerably more expensive cousins.

I was always raised with the idea that you must eat when you drink wine. My friends in Spain find the idea of a wine bar without tapas completely absurd.

With this in mind I called an FA and requested the steak. More than anything, I was interested to see if it was any different in the air and whether the cut would be better given that this was an F cabin vs a J lounge.

The FA warned that there may not be any steak left, I said in that case I'd take the cheese plate.

15 minutes later she set the table for me, so I left my bed and crossed back over to the window seat.

She brought over the cheese plate, which was quite basic but featured blue cheese and grapes, so I was happy.

After removing the cheese plate the FA then asked if I was ready for the steak. I guess something was lost in translation. I though I would get cheese if no steak was available. The FA, on the other hand, thought I was the reincarnation of Marlon Brando and required constant caloric intake in order to maintain a ludicrous body mass index.

Anyway, you all know how this ends. She asked if I still wanted the steak and I said yes.

The steak was still cooked all the way through, although I preferred the sauce and thought the meat was more tender than in the lounge.

After this trip I didn't eat a proper meal for about 2 days.

Shortly after finishing my 'snack' the cabin crew prepared the cabin for landing. I loved being able to snap some shots of London on this exceptionally clear night.

THE VERDICT

Convenience
QF wins.
Direct flight at night time gets you in to Dubai first thing in the morning with no hassle.

Food and Drink
QR wins.
Caviar and Krug. The end.

Amenities
QF wins.
SKII is a seriously high end brand for an amenity kit, the bags themselves are also high quality.
QF PJs are super comfortable. QR didn't offer any.

Service
QF wins.
I love the Aussie FAs, they are friendly without being overly familiar and there are absolutely no communication issues. QR had great cabin crew on the first sector but the long-haul crew were not so memorable.

Cabin and Seat
QF wins.
The QF seat on the A380 is enormous and the bedding is absolutely amazing. The A380 gives you better air quality and a huge sensation of space. When comparing it to the QR A330, there is no contest.

WINNER : QANTAS FIRST CLASS

Overall the QF experience was the better of the two. Having said that, I would much rather fly QR J than QF J.

I've not flown on the newer QR planes but on the A380 where they serve Krug at the bar, your experience as a J passenger has to be about as good as it gets. The mentality of QR, the constant drive to improve is apparent. In doing so they really are making F obsolete.

I'm also glad to report that QF have begun to step things up by offering caviar in F since February 2015.

In an industry where we so frequently hear about "the race to the bottom", it is refreshing to see these two airlines racing to the top.

If you've enjoyed this report please have a look at my previous two:

Champlagnes - (TG F, OZ J & F, NH F) - (Sofitel, Hyatt, Conrad, Hilton)
Excellent Adventure - VS J, QF J, CX J and F - PH, ANA, Hilton, Novotel, Conrad

If you're hungry for more please follow me on Instagram: @jarvismarcos

If you prefer to get your TR spoilers from a beautiful and fashionably dressed twenty something girl then don't forget to follow my girlfriend Kamara
Instagram: @euriental
Blog: www.euriental.com

Thanks!

Last edited by Jermyn; Mar 26, 2015 at 3:49 am
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:32 pm

I just read this entire report through start to finish. Two words: absolutely outstanding!

And three more: happy (belated) birthday!
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:48 pm

Fantastic report.. Thank you .....
Old Mar 17, 2015, 8:07 pm

Programs: A few airlines, hotel programs and car rentals
Wonderful TR, my good sir! Especially like your narrative!! Keep 'em coming!!
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
When it comes to TRs focusing on flight and hotel experiences, this one's a real gem! An abundance of intelligent and beautiful photographs, all presented with an enjoyable dialogue - you could make a flight on US Airways and a stay at the Holiday Inn look good! Other trip reporters would do well to take note. Bravo, Jermyn! ^
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:34 pm

Jermyn, your thoughts on Dubai and the PH were spot on. We truly enjoyed our time there and it was one of the nicest properties we have had the pleasure of visiting. We too were upgraded to a Terrace Suite and it was quite an amazing room.

As an aside, judging by your Instagram posts, it looks like we may have been at the 9/11 memorial and Katz's in NYC on the same day as you. It sure was nice to arrive in NYC to be greeted by cold and snowy weather while we had only packed for milder weather in DXB...
Old Mar 25, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Jermyn

Jermyn, I love your reports and how happy you always seem about travelling.

However, I have to ask - are you wearing the worlds longest socks there?
Old Mar 25, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite, AZ CFP
Fabulous report! Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 2:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Great trip report, thanks for taking the time to put it together. Your photos are very nice and complement the story very well.

Last time I was in Dubai (last spring) I decided to take the plunge and go to the (near) top of the Burj Khalifa. Like you, I found it useful and convenient that the most efficient way to see it was by way of a bar (At.mosphere). I was a bit 'meh' about the whole experience, I have to say. Far too many tourists there (obviously) but every group of people getting up for selfies and crowd photos does not make for a very sophisticated lounge atmosphere! I left after two drinks. The other problem with a building so ridiculously high is there are no frames of reference nearby. When you go up to the top of Rockefeller Center you know you're up high, even though it's 'only' 70 floors.

The other comment I have is about the Al Mourjan lounge. I was in DOH on business a couple of weeks ago (my first trip to the new airport) and I was expecting a complete faff with lounges. I was incredibly impressed with this lounge, and rather regretted that I hadn't come a little earlier (I typically don't hang out in lounges just for the sake of it). Granted it's brand new, but it's clean, fresh, well laid out, has great service, good food and drink, and excellent business facility and is remarkably bling-free. As a twice-weekly guest of the BA First lounge in LHR, I think there are some lessons to be learned from a site visit here.

Oh, and I'm with you on the socks. I have the full rainbow in proper knee-length.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.