Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Culinary extravaganza in the Cape Winelands (BA J)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Culinary extravaganza in the Cape Winelands (BA J)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA, QR
Originally Posted by greg99
Fantastic TR!

Other than the surrounding terrain being a bit higher, it's amazing how much the area (and the restaurants) remind me of the Napa Valley.

Greg
Thank you very much Greg... the Napa Valley is on our list and it would be great if one of our US friends would make a TR to provide us with some hints where to go

Originally Posted by ExpatSomchai
Superb report. Very jealous.
Thanks very much ExpatSomchai.

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
wow. this is a pretty awesome tr. nice to see a country I don't think is widely reported here
Thanks very much thetravelingRedhead

Originally Posted by Calchas
Nice report!

Despite positively stuffing myself at dinner I am feeling hungry again after looking at your pictures.

A shame Comair cannot be persuaded to run BA's European operations. Rather sad when a franchisee does it better than the principal.
Thanks Calchas... as with my previous TR's I've seen similar complaints about BA Club Europe. Pity their franchise is so good...

Originally Posted by Digital01
Excellent report. Looks like you had an amazing wine and dining experience! Definitely will be on our must do list!
Thank you Digital01... I really hope you guys find time in the future to visit the Cape. You won't regret it.

Originally Posted by SFO777
What a treat to read about and see Franschoek, Hermanus and Stellenbosch. Outstanding photos and narrative. Thank you for so many ideas of what to see and do next month.

We are staying in Franschoek our first two nights and will try to get a reservation at Le Bon Vivant assuming that we can't find a way to get into The Tasting Room. Then to Cape Town for three nights and am thinking lunch at Rust en Vrede along the way would be perfect stop. Looking forward to your Cape Town section. Thank you SAtraveler.
Thanks so much for the kind comments, SFO777. I'm very eager to read about your experiences in the Cape and to see yet another fun trip report from you.

Originally Posted by 1P
This is a very fine report. Thank you, SAtraveller! ^^^
Thanks 1P!

Originally Posted by NashVegas37206
I really appreciate this report and hope to learn from your experience. My wife and I are taking a trip to S.A. towards the end of the summer. Keep it up!
Thanks NashVegas, that is excellent news!

Originally Posted by fabulousflygirl
Brilliant report and photos! Thoroughly enjoying every bit of it. Already starting the planning process for a trip next year. Can't wait!
Thanks once again fabulousflygirl... Your expertise and opinion of the local wine would make a smashing TR
Old Feb 26, 2015, 10:29 am
Original Poster

8. Stellenbosch IV

Moving on, we booked out of Coopmanhuijs after a lovely stay and moved a few kilometers down the road to Banhoek Lodge, which coincidentally is just around the corner from the Tokara and Delaire farms. The location is ideal for wine tasting as it lies on one of the main roads - one mind you, as there are several roads. The Lodge has some fantastic suites that were large and luxurious with beautiful views of the farm and surrounding mountains. It was a great stay.

Later that day we visited Tokara to meet up with our Cape friends who drove through for the day. This time we visited the Deli which is down the road from the wine farm its self. Its more of a social deli, with a lot of catering for children, which is apt considering our friends have small kids. A lovely place with great food and views.

What is with artists these days...?

After spending three hours there, they politely told us we were encroaching on the lunch time crowd and that they were booked out for lunch. As our friends had not yet tired of us we then moved down the road to the Soms-Delta wine farm for a tasting.

There was glorious weather on the farm and the tasting was more social than academic, so I can scarcely remember what we drank. We ordered a cheese platter to accompany the wines and temper them. The estate makes picnic baskets for people who wish to have a picnic along the riverside, and the place is very family friendly, which is actually remarkable considering they trade in alcohol. They even had a local choir who entertained us. The Belgian crowd became quite rowdy but perhaps the Shiraz was too heavy handed for them.

Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:19 am
Original Poster

9. Cape Town

Luckily our time in Stellenbosch ended as we started experiencing a type of instant nausea at the thought of tasting any more wine. The mother city beckoned and off we went on our trip to Cape Town which took us about an hour.

For our two nights in Cape Town we stayed in Camps Bay, which is one of the sea side areas in Cape Town. Tourists should never stay in the center of the city as there is almost no view and the best places are all along the coast in places like Bantry Bay, Mouille point, Camps Bay and Llandudno. There are so many luxurious B&B's and boutique hotels that it will boggle your mind, and the quality of accommodation is outstanding. This time we settled on a place called Azamare Boutique Hotel.

The place was really excellent. We went for their best room which included a large private lounge with gas heater, large bathroom and an outside balcony with great views and a private pool. The breakfast was complementary, but it usually is in most places in South Africa, and was very tasty indeed. Free fast WiFi and lovely staff. Overall most impressive!

Complementary sherry

Some views from the room...

Camps Bay & Signal Hill

Every night the hotel provides free canapes and red/white wine on the main terrace. We went along, and as the only locals we made some friends and felt like the tourists ourselves! Of course, not everyone identified our accents as local accents and some Germans started giving us hints on what attractions to see and how to save money with the locals....

That night we drove into the center of town to eat at a favourite of ours, Haiku. They specialize in Asian tapas and their food is really good. They're overpriced, but then again, so is the whole province.

Table Mountain at dusk

The menu is vast, and we usually ask the waiter to bring us a bit of everything which always works.

prawns and tuna

lamb chops

ostrich and other things

Peking duck

The next morning we were up for a tasty breakfast in our hotel...

We had a few plans for Cape Town, including a sundowner on Table Mountain. They had a half-price special if you went up after 18:00 for a drink, and considering the sun only sets at 19:30, you can imagine the potential for photography. Unfortunately there were gale force winds for two days and a lot of our plans were blown away. The beach was too windy, and Table Mountain was closed for 48 hours. We resigned ourselves to staying in our room for the day, swimming in our pool and reading.

That night we walked along the promenade to one of the beachside restaurants seeking out a good seafood platter, and we found one. Tasty food and just what the doctor ordered with some stunning views of the setting sun, as well as all the European heavies flying over us back to Europe.

Prawn cocktail

Tempura prawns

Some great seafood

Dusk on our last day
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:48 am
Original Poster

10. CPT-JNB on B737-400 in BA J

The next morning we had a flight at 09:40 and did an early check-out. We were caught a little by the morning Cape Town rush hour traffic, but arrived well on time.

Chair for.... Zeus?

I love the BA tickets office with its functional engine that actually spins. I do hope it at least functions as a fan for the staff in the cubicle.

Up we went to the SLOW lounge which once again is so good. The Cape Town lounge has a loft design built over two stories, and feels really spacious and open. The food is excellent and the staff are helpful and friendly. Good views of the runway too!

Our chariot awaits (beneath us)

We meet again

Soon after we headed to the gate and boarded after a short delay of about 10 minutes. Seats 2A and B this time with a relatively full plane, especially in Club. Also some government minister so weighed down in Versace and Louis Vuitton we almost overran the runway. Ironically the finance minister announced a 1% increase in income tax that very morning but I'm not sure if the two are related...

As if the minister wasn't enough we had a Diva with her fan and her feigns of mock outrage.

Cranberry juice

Our lady pilot explained our route in detail and that the weather would be fine. She had a silky voice, and could perhaps do radio ads if flying didn't work out. Then again, so many pilots sound like Peter Stuyvesant clones that it probably works out well for both sexes. Without delay, our flight of the seductive voice left hastily on runway 19 and took us over Stellenbosch in an easterly direction.

After saying our final farewell to the mountains, we settled down for what they called a 'snack' i.e. we don't know if you want breakfast or lunch so have this instead.

English breakfast tea with sugar swirl stick and biscuit

Curried chicken with rice, and danish

or vegetarian mushroom dish with danish

... plus single Lindt ball chocolate for desert.

Farmers playing in the sand again

The second part of the flight was rather bumpy with some impressive cumulonimbus formations.

Soon it was time for touchdown, and a pretty smooth landing and shortish flight of just under two hours. And that was our holiday done. I do hope it provided a glimpse of the great Western Cape and what a fantastic holiday destination it is for locals and international visitors alike.

Thank you for reading my Trip report and for all the great feedback I got.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:00 pm

Wow, just Wow. Thanks for reporting and for all the photos. Wow.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Amazing TR!
I've had the idea of one day going to South Africa to do a safari and wine tour and you have me drooling over the wines.
I've been lucky enough to try out a wide range of South African wines including a "sticky" through my wine courses, but what you covered was amazing!

Did you drive yourself? I mean for me as a solo traveller, that's been the the main hurdle that's kept me from doing any sort of real wine tour.

Also great find with the eco hotel!
Old Feb 28, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Thank you so much!!! Your report is nothing short of stellar and the photos are amazing!

You should be paid by Cape Tourism - I doubt that they could even come close with such a write up!!

I also learnt a few things, so that next when I go down to visit my "other Mother", I could teach her a thing or two on where to go.

Thank you for a wonderful read.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by halfcape
Wow, just Wow. Thanks for reporting and for all the photos. Wow.
Thank you for the kind comments, halfcape!

Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
Amazing TR!
I've had the idea of one day going to South Africa to do a safari and wine tour and you have me drooling over the wines.
I've been lucky enough to try out a wide range of South African wines including a "sticky" through my wine courses, but what you covered was amazing!

Did you drive yourself? I mean for me as a solo traveller, that's been the the main hurdle that's kept me from doing any sort of real wine tour.

Also great find with the eco hotel!
Thank you for the comments, iceblueshoes. Luckily we were two people so one of us could always drive. We also spent many hours at the farms so by the time we left we were completely sober. If you don't want to drive yourself there are plenty of tour cars... the Germans loved being driven around, testing the wine and then being driven off again to the next farm, and then back home. Franschoek even has a wine tram that takes you between all the farms and drives you in a circle for a nominal price.

Originally Posted by roadwarrier
Thank you so much!!! Your report is nothing short of stellar and the photos are amazing!

You should be paid by Cape Tourism - I doubt that they could even come close with such a write up!!

I also learnt a few things, so that next when I go down to visit my "other Mother", I could teach her a thing or two on where to go.

Thank you for a wonderful read.
Thank you, roadwarrier. I really appreciate the comments and hopefully you can impress your "other" mother
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: Meh
This TR will be my guide to a trip I plan for my wife and I later this year. Many thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: Volaris, UA Nothing
Wonderful report! Beautiful pictures! Will definitely reference it during 2016 trip to Cape Town.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stevie
This TR will be my guide to a trip I plan for my wife and I later this year. Many thanks for sharing.
Thanks Stevie... I hope you guys have a great vacation!

Originally Posted by saturnino3
Wonderful report! Beautiful pictures! Will definitely reference it during 2016 trip to Cape Town.
Thanks Saturnino for the great comments
Old Mar 8, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Excellent TR! :-:

Thank you for making the effort.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: Flying Blue, Miles and Smiles, Hhonors, ICHotels
Just saw this now. Looks like a lovely way of exploring Cape Town.

http://www.getaway.co.za/activities/...urs-cape-town/
Old Mar 12, 2015, 9:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
Thanks for this report. We are so excited to be visiting South Africa for the first time this July. This might not give us the beautiful weather you had, but hopefully the food will still be great.

In CT, we are hitting Test Kitchen, La Colombe, and The Tasting Room at LQF. Your review of Rust en Vrede makes me think twice about adding it to the list.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Diamond Ambassador, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Gold, Hilton Gold
This is my kind of TR, beautiful landscapes and food photography. Thanks so much for sharing and inspiring.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.