Reload this Page >

Mileage Running for Air France New First Class/La Premičre

Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist

Air France recently introduced its new La Premičre First Class cabin and service. By all reports, it's a stunning service especially at CDG, with private check-in and lounge and limo service to your plane. The New First Class cabin features one row of 4 elegant suites that look more like a designer living room. And with ceiling to floor curtains for the ultimate in privacy. Add in Michelin starred chef designed meals including Joël Robuchon and AF is now on our must fly list. AF plans to convert many of its 77Ws. Currently, the new 77Ws fly to only a handful of routes including JFK, LAX and later this month IAH.

While Air France does offer F awards, they are stupid expensive and only open to AF/Flying Blue elites, even the lowest Silver. And AF won't status match so you've got to earn status the old fashioned way. But the good news is that AF doesn't require you fly any AF segments and it only takes 15 segments on any partner and voila. Now... how to get to my 15 segments without 1) costing an arm and a leg and 2) having to sit in Economy. With cheap discounted domestic F fares, SkyTeam partner Delta was the solution. So here goes…

January 26th
• Denver-Atlanta
• Atlanta-Pittsburgh

This one was actually legit as I had to go to Pittsburgh on business. Used to always fly AA but now that they've turned into US Airways, I don't think so.

Denver-Atlanta
DL 1916
757-200
1:30P-6:20P
January 26, 2015
Lunch

My first of 15 DL flights in the next couple of weeks. Once a DM but now an EXP and USdbaAA refugee, what a treat to (1) have open bar PDBs and (2) be served an edible and tasty meal on a domestic flight. Today was chicken day with a choice of chicken or chicken... the chicken milanese salad (which looked delicious) or the hot chicken club. Presentation of the latter was a little lacking but once constructed was delicious. Both were accompanied by a mystery but tasty cheese/veggie soup, and the always excellent Dancing Deer cookie.

With 75 minutes between flights, I stopped in at the A17 SkyClub. Having spent too much time in Admirals Clubs, was impressed with the better food offerings including soups, salads, dressings, veggies, chips and dips.

Atlanta-Pittsburgh
DL 1296
MD-88
7:35P-9:15P
January 26, 2015

Another excellent crew and PDB #2 of the day.

Decided to take a convenient United non-stop back home today as the price was right.

Pittsburgh-Denver
UA 481
A320
4:27P-6:10P
January 27, 2014
Another Lunch but on United we call it Dinner

Excellent DEN-based crew on a same day turn. PDBs and frequent refills throughout the flight. Loved the inflight personal device entertainment system. Excellent quality although the selection of movies might get a little boring if the system is not updated regularly.

Choice of beef sandwich or chicken salad, with cream of mushroom soup. The good news is that this meal was actually edible, unlike the current slop served on USdbaAA. The bad news is that hello! this is a dinner flight, and sandwich or salad is (what DL serves for) lunch. On the other hand, a PIT-DEN nonstop gets me home early enough for a proper dinner with Mrs. SFO.

But the galley right in the F cabin configuration of NA A320s is depressing. Yo, how about using the curtain or at least turn down the effing light after dinner service. Note to self: bring a baseball cap next trip to block the glaring light.

Now to Day 1 of flying aimlessly around the country or as Mrs. SFO "flying to nowhere today".

February 2nd
•.Denver-Atlanta
• Atlanta-Kansas City
•.Kansas City-Atlanta
•.Atlanta-Denver

Denver-Atlanta
DL 1516
757-200
6:10A-11:15A (sked)
6:55A-12:00N (actual)
February 2, 2015
Breakfast

Gate lice, Delta style.

Delated departure this morning was due to mandatory crew break as a result of the late inbound the night before.

Another great DL crew and another open bar PDB. Hard to believe any breakfast could be worse than UA's Jeff McMuffin, but this morning's DL bagel sandwich wins that prize. As bad as AA catering has become, at least they still get breakfast right.

With a couple of hours before my connecting flight, I headed to the B10 SkyClub.
Yikes, what a dump this little one is.

After a bite to eat and with zero privacy for working, I decided to spend time in the much quieter Admirals Club in Terminal T.

At around T-40, I headed for the train and my first of 3 back-to-back snack basket flights.

Atlanta-Kansas City
DL 2256
757-200
2:25P-3:42P
February 2, 2015

Another great ATL-based crew and another open bar PDB. Thirty-something babe next to me had the first of a few rum & cokes.
After a couple more R&Cs inflight, she gave me her business card. LOL. I did not give her mine.

And a not very good beef wrap that I picked up in the terminal, just in case.

On time arrival at MCI. I deplaned and re-boarded 20 minutes later much to the surprise of our FA.

Kansas City-Atlanta
DL 2256
757-200
4:35P-7:32P (sked)
4:35P-7:00P (actual)
February 2, 2015

Same great crew as the inbound and another open bar PDB flight.

Since we arrived early, I decided to stop for a proper meal, at least as that is defined at TGI Friday's in the E concourse.
My Jack Daniels rib-eye was pretty tasty.

Atlanta-Denver
DL 1539
757-200
8:32P-10:00P
February 2, 2015

Another crew DL crew and another open bar PDB flight. Apparently SOP at Delta where I've had more PDBs in one day than in couple of months of AA flights. Another snack basket flight and I'm finished with round 1.

Airport fashion, DIA style. ...

Please visit SFO777.com for more pics and an HD version of the report.

Up next:

February 5th
Denver-Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City-Portland
Portland-Seattle
Seattle-Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City-Denver

February 9th
Denver-Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City-Las Vegas
Las Vegas-Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City-Denver

Last edited by SFO777; Feb 14, 2015 at 8:43 am
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:22 pm

Programs: AA
Love this!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:57 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
OMG SFO777, how can you cheat on your beloved LH with its ugly stepsister AF...? I know you're a francophile (so am I) and I must admit that the new AF F cabin looks amazing and that AF F ground service at CDG is supposed to be excellent but, but, really? I'm shocked!

Last edited by JohnRain; Feb 12, 2015 at 2:07 am
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:00 am

That pink stuff in the DL bagel looks pretty fluorescent. Bet they don't serve that in La Premičre.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:39 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
I must say this is your first TR that does not make me incredibly jealous
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:38 am

Programs: AA Plat
Here we go again, another great report!

I guess it's mostly too late since a lot of your flights are done, but I have always preferred A17 out of the ATL clubs because its large, it retains the older look, and the staff (at least at the bar), are typically quite good. The new F concourse lounge is also decent, and E would probably be my next favorite. The C lounge is small but retains the older look, which I prefer. Agreed though that the B lounge is TINY and not good.

You could always just go to One Flew South in E for a decent meal!

Safe travels.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
My but you must be quite the hunk! Nevertheless, I thought only high school kids drank rum & cokes? Still, a business card is a business card . . . .

More seriously, I've looked at the AF thing as well, but the thought of always having to dog-leg through IAH to get to CDG has always put me off.

And now, too, I know what to order at TGIF if I ever need a do-it-yourself Admirals Club.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
What fun! As one who's also been known to chase miles in pursuit of a First Class ticket, I've thoroughly enjoyed this report. Except for the photos of that depressing little B-10 lounge, which I also know well. I must say however that the report seems a bit off balance without the presence of Mrs. SFO777! Whaaaat! She doesn't like Delta?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, LH Senator *Gold, AA EXP OWE Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by theshaun
Love this!
Thanks theshaun.

Originally Posted by JohnRain
OMG SFO777, how can you cheat on your beloved LH with its ugly stepsister AF...? I know you're a francophile (so am I) and I must admit that the new AF F cabin looks amazing and that AF F ground service at CDG is supposed to be excellent but, but, really? I'm shocked!
LOL. Thanks very much JohnRain. It is sort of cheating, isn't it. Actually more like playing the field. But I have no intention of dumping LH altogether even though they're not showing much for DEN with two class service 7 months of the year. But at least they fly here, unlike AF. But, I'm not going to spend 162.5K each for one way First all the time, especially when LH is 62.K to 85K.

Originally Posted by DanielW
That pink stuff in the DL bagel looks pretty fluorescent. Bet they don't serve that in La Premičre.
I think you're right on that one. Thank you DanielW.

Originally Posted by agp423
I must say this is your first TR that does not make me incredibly jealous
LOL. Yeah, I understand.
Thanks agp423.

Originally Posted by Digital01
Here we go again, another great report!
I guess it's mostly too late since a lot of your flights are done, but I have always preferred A17 out of the ATL clubs because its large, it retains the older look, and the staff (at least at the bar), are typically quite good. The new F concourse lounge is also decent, and E would probably be my next favorite. The C lounge is small but retains the older look, which I prefer. Agreed though that the B lounge is TINY and not good.
You could always just go to One Flew South in E for a decent meal!
Safe travels.
Thank you Digital1 and for your guide to ATL. A17 is the best of the ones I've visited. I saw One Flew South but figured I'd get served faster at TGIF.

Originally Posted by FallenPlat
My but you must be quite the hunk! Nevertheless, I thought only high school kids drank rum & cokes? Still, a business card is a business card. More seriously, I've looked at the AF thing as well, but the thought of always having to dog-leg through IAH to get to CDG has always put me off.
And now, too, I know what to order at TGIF if I ever need a do-it-yourself Admirals Club.
Thanks FallenPlat. I think alcohol changes one's perspective.
Connecting is always a PIA, but living in the boonies, we'd be connecting on LH to get to CDG anyway LH (and a double connection off season).
So DEN-IAH-CDG is actually very convenient for us.

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
What fun! As one who's also been known to chase miles in pursuit of a First Class ticket, I've thoroughly enjoyed this report. Except for the photos of that depressing little B-10 lounge, which I also know well. I must say however that the report seems a bit off balance without the presence of Mrs. SFO777! Whaaaat! She doesn't like Delta?
Thanks so much Seat 2A. Mrs. SFO is OK with DL for short flights but not 15 of them.
Although the morning I told I was going to LAS, she say "I want to go to Vegas"... but not for 2 hours and not via SLC.

Last edited by SFO777; Feb 13, 2015 at 1:44 am
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
How are you finding Delta out of Denver? I have been doing it a bit recently as well... and im pleasantly surprised VS AA. Enough that I dont mind having to leave the AA club 10 min sooner to trek out to C at least.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Looking forward to the next set of posts and that AF first class cabin looks amazing!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
A good look at what filling the mileage bank looks like ^. This is one I should share with my wife
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Another sfo777 trip report ^
Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Interesting report! Though why go through the hassle of getting FB Silver when you can just get a discounted paid ticket? AF have ran a few promotions on First Class fares from the US.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:44 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SFO777
After a couple more R&Cs inflight, she gave me her business card. LOL. I did not give her mine.
Tales from the road. . .

You missed a terrific opportunity for the SFO777 Selfies Photo portion of your website.

Either that or a great re-creation of those flight scenes from Bridesmaids "I'm not an Air Marshall" (laughing).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.