Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

A tale of gluttony and first Firsts; BA F A380, CX F, QR F A380, HKG Lounge Crawl

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A tale of gluttony and first Firsts; BA F A380, CX F, QR F A380, HKG Lounge Crawl

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Absolutely fantastic photography. Some of the best TR photos I've ever seen.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dordal
Absolutely fantastic photography. Some of the best TR photos I've ever seen.
Thanks for reading, dordal!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Airmiles AMEX-MR Alaska Airlines
Waited to read the entire report before commenting. Wonderful TR in terms of writing and photos. My vote for best TR 2015.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA Exp
I want to thank you also for wonderful TR. My wife and I are flying BA from IAD-LHR as part of a trip to Italy in April so certainly enjoyed your BA club pics, especially from IAD. Just a question regarding the clubs.. Do you tip for service at the clubs? Not sure about here in US vs. LHR for meals/drinks? Thanks again and really enjoyed your report!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:00 pm
formerly ltabi

Programs: AA PLT, Hyatt Explorist
Absolutely amazing trip report. Stunning pictures! My favorite pictures were your Taiwan food pictures. I absolutely fell in love with the country the first time I visited in 2012. Looking forward to going back next year!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by injian
Waited to read the entire report before commenting. Wonderful TR in terms of writing and photos. My vote for best TR 2015.
Thanks injian!

Originally Posted by drwoody
I want to thank you also for wonderful TR. My wife and I are flying BA from IAD-LHR as part of a trip to Italy in April so certainly enjoyed your BA club pics, especially from IAD. Just a question regarding the clubs.. Do you tip for service at the clubs? Not sure about here in US vs. LHR for meals/drinks? Thanks again and really enjoyed your report!
Drwoody; tipping isn't expected, but since I ordered multiple main entrees and because it was the Christmas season, I tipped $20 for the two servers.

Originally Posted by ltabi
Absolutely amazing trip report. Stunning pictures! My favorite pictures were your Taiwan food pictures. I absolutely fell in love with the country the first time I visited in 2012. Looking forward to going back next year!
thanks ltabi! I can't wait to return myself.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:44 pm

Now that the trip is completed (and posted), would you mind breaking down how you were able to book such an itinerary with only 120k US miles? Quite honestly, I'd love for you to dumb it down a bit.

I burn mostly AA, but since they eliminated the stopover I don't see how it's possible. In theory, UA miles should allow a similar type of structure?

Those of us with basic or moderate knowledge can learn a lot here.

This was a great unbiased report and will help me plan for the future, so kudos.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Now that the trip is completed (and posted), would you mind breaking down how you were able to book such an itinerary with only 120k US miles? Quite honestly, I'd love for you to dumb it down a bit.

I burn mostly AA, but since they eliminated the stopover I don't see how it's possible. In theory, UA miles should allow a similar type of structure?

Those of us with basic or moderate knowledge can learn a lot here.

This was a great unbiased report and will help me plan for the future, so kudos.
Sure thing. US Airways is known for its generous routing rules, including routing through Europe to get to Asia. 120K miles are needed for a destination in First Class to North Asia (China, Japan, HK, Taiwan, S. Korea, etc..)

I knew I wanted to try CX F, and there is generally pretty good availability from FRA-HKG. I also knew that I wanted to visit Taipei. The stopover needs to be in a hub city or US Airways destination city, but it's not generally strictly enforced.

So I scheduled the stopover in FRA and the destination in TPE, and routed back through DOH (in order to fly QR F). BA is pretty much the only way to travel TATL.

Besides HUACA-ing a few times, that's about it!

Last edited by iluvdoco; Feb 10, 2015 at 11:21 pm
Old Feb 11, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Sure thing. US Airways is known for its generous routing rules, including routing through Europe to get to Asia. 120K miles are needed for a destination in First Class to North Asia (China, Japan, HK, Taiwan, S. Korea, etc..)

I knew I wanted to try CX F, and there is generally pretty good availability from FRA-HKG. I also knew that I wanted to visit Taipei. The stopover needs to be in a hub city or US Airways destination city, but it's not generally strictly enforced.

So I scheduled the stopover in FRA and the destination in TPE, and routed back through DOH (in order to fly QR F). BA is pretty much the only way to travel TATL.

Besides HUACA-ing a few times, that's about it!
Highly impressive.

So this was really time sensitive before the programs merge I'd imagine.

To think I've been collecting AA all these years when I should have been on US. D'oh!
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Silver, SPG Gold
Bravo!

This is a truly great trip report and I can feel your enthusiasm. I can definitely relate to the anti-"jaded veteran" feeling the few times I can string together travel that involves a sidestep of the Y cabin.

I think I'll finally get off my lazy duff and create a trip report myself.

Thanks for the inspiration, iluvdoco.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Highly impressive.

So this was really time sensitive before the programs merge I'd imagine.

To think I've been collecting AA all these years when I should have been on US. D'oh!
Definitely huge advantage of US Airways Miles atm. I doubt AA will keep the free stopover rule once the merger goes through..

Originally Posted by Collins
Bravo!

This is a truly great trip report and I can feel your enthusiasm. I can definitely relate to the anti-"jaded veteran" feeling the few times I can string together travel that involves a sidestep of the Y cabin.

I think I'll finally get off my lazy duff and create a trip report myself.

Thanks for the inspiration, iluvdoco.
Thanks for reading, Collins!
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:47 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Plat
Wow - just finished reading your trip report start to finish and the level of detail and quality of the pics was awesome. How far in advance did you book these awrd flights and did you use ExpertFlyer to source all the legs?
Old Feb 26, 2015, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chelsea2
Wow - just finished reading your trip report start to finish and the level of detail and quality of the pics was awesome. How far in advance did you book these awrd flights and did you use ExpertFlyer to source all the legs?
Thanks chelsea2! I booked around 330-300 days in advance, and used KVS.
Old Apr 5, 2015, 9:42 am

What a fantastic report, glad to have found it in the hall of fame. Also great to read about the HKG lounges, which I may find myself doing in a couple months, assuming I'm not forced to cancel my fantastic US DM CX C/F /BA C/F /AA F ticket .

My mother was recently in HKG travelling CX J, she texted me that she was in the G16 lounge and I almost died. Yes it was near her gate but she wouldn't move, not even to the QF lounge. I'll make sure she chooses more wisely on the return

goodo
Old Apr 5, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Wow - really, really enjoyable trip report to read. Thank you SO MUCH for putting this together. I am astounded that BA has such a great lounge at IAD. Is there so much traffic there to justify it? I would love to try out the Qatar a380 in F. The meal, and particularly the presentation, looks fabulous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.