Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and... Korea? [+QR Y+J, all J 319, Pegasus, Air Astana, ship]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and... Korea? [+QR Y+J, all J 319, Pegasus, Air Astana, ship]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by steveman518
I don't think those are going to be shared on FT
lol.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

eleted for privacy

Last edited by mpkz; Apr 30, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

deleted for privacy

Last edited by mpkz; Apr 30, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Old Jan 31, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
What an interesting report, thanks!

Fascinating to read how different your experience of Kyrgyzstan in particular was from ours. We were there in the summer, and with our own transport, and we didn't actually pass through either Bishkek or Karakol (though I would have liked to explore around the latter).

What I absolutely loved about Kyrgyzstan were the amazingly scenic, extraordinarily empty landscapes and quietly friendly people. If you do get a chance to go back, I'd really encourage you to get out into the wild (unless that's not your thing). We camped by lake Song Kul, high in the grassy uplands, and it was a breathtakingly beautiful place - and the long drives to get there were utterly stunning too. We were also incredibly lucky to happen across a game of buzkashi, which is normally only played in the winter.

I'm plotting when we can go back and do the Pamir Highway through Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan - we got close enough for me to know that it would be an amazing experience, but unfortunately there was something of a drug war kicking off (!!) so the area itself was closed.

If you're curious you can see our Kyrgyz adventures here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20126323-post37.html
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:28 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Unique writing style plus ultimate adventures make your TR so interesting to read.

How did you book your accommodations? Online?

Thanks for sharing.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Finishing up in the same impressive style this rather unique TR started.
Well done^
Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:55 am
Suspended
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by mpkz; Apr 30, 2023 at 4:49 pm
Old Feb 3, 2015, 7:20 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mpkz
And thanks again to everyone who gave feedback - i was first hesitant about whether to post more trips here, but now ill try to make a habit of posting my "bigger" trips here (next one will be 2 weeks in Ethiopia in April if I get enough work done now to justify it, otherwise whatever trip I take in the summer).
Ethiopia has been on my bucket list for ages! Would really love to go there myself, but I don't see that happening in the near future so reading your trip report would be some consolation. So, purefly for my own selfish reasons, can you please start getting work done so you can make it happen!
Old Feb 8, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

Thanks for the rest of the TR. Very fun reading. It's ace that you were able to have so much fun with CS / hostel people (aside from the girls who turned on the lights so late). And the side trips to Middle East were fun even if you prefer to not return to Dubai shopping mall (I've refused to go to Vegas after my last trip there in 1997). The food in Y looked quite similar to united airlines USA domestic food in business/first class, but that can be said about most Y on Asian and European flights :-)
Old Feb 8, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak

I forgot to ask... What is a lemon mint drink? I googled it and it appears to be a minty lemonade without alcohol. I cannot drink alcohol on planes (headaches) so stick with diet soda, but the lemon mint sounded and looked lovely.

I was impressed about no dinner doh-icn because the menu sounded nice, despite the joy to sleep.

Also what is your travel gear? Walking 12km in Almaty sounded super impressive, something I haven't done even without luggage!

And did you wash your sleeping bag :-) (as you mentioned previously that you should wash it)
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gaobest
I forgot to ask... What is a lemon mint drink? I googled it and it appears to be a minty lemonade without alcohol. I cannot drink alcohol on planes (headaches) so stick with diet soda, but the lemon mint sounded and looked lovely.

I was impressed about no dinner doh-icn because the menu sounded nice, despite the joy to sleep.

Also what is your travel gear? Walking 12km in Almaty sounded super impressive, something I haven't done even without luggage!

And did you wash your sleeping bag :-) (as you mentioned previously that you should wash it)
Thanks for the comments on the rest of the report

Lemon mint is basically a lemonade with a hint of mint. Qatar has sort of chosen it as their signature drink. It's non-alcoholic, but really delicious - definitely prefer it over champagne etc on a plane (I don't like drinking on planes either). It's big in the Middle East where you can get it in supermarkets and stuff (and big Western brands like Tropicana will have a lemon mint flavored drink), but haven't ever seen it in Europe.

My main bag is a big backpack I've been using since my first RTW trip in 2007 when I was 17 - I dont know the model, but it was a fairly cheap one just from a camping/outdoors store. I normally pack about 10-12 kilos worth of stuff (8 or 9 days of clean clothes+running clothes and shoes+toiletries+travel towel (which I stupidly forgot in Kazakhstan)+this trip I had two coats for different weather+sleeping bag on the outside). Then I have a day bag which is a normal backpack that I wear on the front when I have my large bag with me. It can be quite a bit to carry but I'm in good enough shape that it's not a huge problem for me to walk a lot with it. And most of my friends who didn't avoid the army (mandatory in Finland unless you weasel your way out like I did) had to carry a lot more on long marches while they were there, and I'm in better shape than many of them.

Yes, the sleeping bag is now clean, awaiting my next trip. But thanks for the reminder :P

Also, I think your comment about the food is true for asian flights, but not for European airlines anymore. BA offers a sandwich, most offer the same or nothing. Even Finnair which held out as a full meal airline until about 2008 has abandoned all food service on non-charter European flights and now offers a choice of water or juice and then coffee or tea, which is pathetic but I kind of get it - buy on board is the future and you can offer much better food.

Last edited by mpkz; Feb 8, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.