Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and... Korea? [+QR Y+J, all J 319, Pegasus, Air Astana, ship]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and... Korea? [+QR Y+J, all J 319, Pegasus, Air Astana, ship]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by farbster
Such an interesting TR.
Absolutely!!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 1:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

deleted fir oruvacy

Last edited by mpkz; Apr 30, 2023 at 4:46 pm
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
Just to clarify, that Metro station you took a picture of was NOT Abay Station. It's Teatr Imeni Mukhtar Auezova. (Theater Named After Mukhtar Auezov; a Kazakh writer)

I just want to thank you for making this trip report, it's really beautiful. I do have to say, though, you knocked my heart out a bit when you posted a picture of the building I rented an apartment in last time I was in Almaty, on Tole Bi (Komsomol'skaya) on the way into the city center from Sairan Bus Station, when I was dumped on New Year's by my lying, cheating #*&($ of a girlfriend. Ouch.

Oh, well, I'm over it now. (Not really) But seriously, though, great trip report, it's absolutely beautiful!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
I also looked at the rough sketch of your walk & while it was nice, I would have recommended that you turned right on Alleya Gagarina (Gagarin's Alley) from Tole Bi (Komsomol'skaya). It's a pathway in the median between 2-way streets and it's surrounded by trees & playgrounds and in the winter, it's one of the most beautiful streets in Almaty, in my opinion. It would have taken you all the way up to Abay, but it's uphill, so perhaps that would have been uncomfortable. Then again, you ended up going uphill anyway, the direction you were going: might as well have had a beautiful view.

In addition, the town in Kazakhstan where gambling is legal is called Kapchagay. I fookin' lost $100 there in 2012. Watered-down drinks, blah. At least the waitress was hot. Hmmm, hmmmm, hmmm.

And your second pic of an Almaty Metro Station (the blue & white one) is Baikonur. I used it a lot because it's right next to KFC & Carl's Jr. Haha.

Last edited by RussianTexan; Jan 23, 2015 at 2:40 pm
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
LOL This is such a good comment. There really are similarities between the two pictures.

But mpkz, this is an awesome, off the beaten path trip report, and I am more than intrigued. Its always nice to see parts of the world that are less covered on FT.

Originally Posted by flybranchen
Great report! Nice to read about about an airline not often covered - and not flown in a premium cabin - for a change.

One detail got me thinking... See, this is a cheap cabin on a ship

And this is a wet dream of a Flyertalker...

Borrowed from Emirates202's fine report from Etihad A380 Appartments

I know that you cannot compare a ship and a plane, the materials and details are not the same, and there is no free Champagne on the ship.

However, we would go to great length to sit in the Appartment for 10 hours, but would fly the crappiest propellerplane to avoid the ship for a night.

Sometimes we are a funny bunch...
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RussianTexan
Just to clarify, that Metro station you took a picture of was NOT Abay Station. It's Teatr Imeni Mukhtar Auezova. (Theater Named After Mukhtar Auezov; a Kazakh writer)

I just want to thank you for making this trip report, it's really beautiful. I do have to say, though, you knocked my heart out a bit when you posted a picture of the building I rented an apartment in last time I was in Almaty, on Tole Bi (Komsomol'skaya) on the way into the city center from Sairan Bus Station, when I was dumped on New Year's by my lying, cheating #*&($ of a girlfriend. Ouch.

Oh, well, I'm over it now. (Not really) But seriously, though, great trip report, it's absolutely beautiful!
Thanks, corrected the station - I really liked Abay Station as well, but now I can't find the pics I took :/ Baikonur is named after the cosmodrome? Sorry to hear about your girlfriend, funny coincidence even if it wasn't such a happy one for you :P Seems meeting the Dutchies after they saw me in Karakol weren't the only coincidence during this trip then.

Thanks for the route - I was really just "winging it" when I came in (hadn't really read the guidebook properly, just quickly looked at the map) and ended up walking on Furmanova. During my second CouchSurf I stayed in the South West of town (like quite far... next to Kazakh American University) and I might have walked by Furmanova when I walked from there to downtown, because I got on the metro at Alatau station.

Thanks incognitoMD!

I'll continue writing tomorrow - soju time now and I spent most of my time today finishing up what I will write about Korea...
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:12 am
Suspended
Original Poster

deleted for privacy

Last edited by mpkz; Apr 30, 2023 at 4:46 pm
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:15 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

deleted

Last edited by mpkz; Apr 30, 2023 at 4:47 pm
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:06 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

The buildings you took photos of in Bishkek, Almaty and the Kyrgyz ski would be fodder for my camera too!

Also, would you mind emailing me (we could communicate through PM) the photo you took of the "KFC?" I have this old blog post about _FCs around the world, and would be glad to feature your contribution/give credit to your blog on mine.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:49 pm

Loved the photo's from Bishkek & Almay, mpkz .

I had dinner at the Obama restaurant that you saw, not too bad:

Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:09 am
Suspended

very interesting TR!

Both countries looks really depressing, don't sure whether I want to go there.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:19 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

deleted for privacy

Last edited by mpkz; Apr 30, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Old Jan 26, 2015, 2:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

deleted for privact

Last edited by mpkz; Apr 30, 2023 at 4:47 pm
Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by mpkz

Seafood special in the buffet, just one of many ways to get crabs on the boat
How about the other ways?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by HangukStyle
How about the other ways?
I don't think those are going to be shared on FT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.