JFK-PBI and back in Delta Y January 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-PBI and back in Delta Y January 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold Card holder, JetBlue Trueblue, HiltonHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Day 5

I woke up at 7:30AM on January 16th, 2015, somewhat crestfallen that it was my last full day in Florida, yet happy that I would be able to make it great! After getting ready, I called my mom to let her know that I would be looking at a couple of properties with the realtor. She told me to have a great time house hunting and wished me luck in trying to find the right house. After speaking on the phone with her, I went downstairs for another delicious breakfast at 8:30AM. While I had wanted to go swimming and it was far from cold, with temperatures that would later be in the 70s, I felt that the morning temperatures in the low 60s compounded by the wind would make it a little too cool for me to swim. So instead of swimming, I went to the smallish but clean and well equipped hotel gym, where I went on the treadmill and did a couple of the weight machines for my upper body. I took a rest afterwards until about 12:00PM, which was when I had a grilled cheese sandwich that I made for lunch in my room. While the realtor was originally aiming to meet me again at 1:00PM-1:30PM as his company had a class on learning a new computer system, he called me to ask if I would mind going out at 1:00PM instead as the class ended early and he had time. Since I was ready, I accepted his offer and at about five minutes before 1:00PM, he pulled up in front in his Lexus. For our first listing, we went into South Boca not far from Camino Real and Military Trail, where we saw a large two bedroom/two bathroom single family home on a cul-de-sac in a quiet neighborhood. While I liked the home's open floor plan and spacious bedrooms, I thought that the renovations were cheaply done and that the price was high for what we were getting. After I texted my mom the pictures, she agreed! For our next listing, we went to Boca Country Club, a membership optional country club in North Boca off of Congress Avenue and north of Yamato Road. While the realtor was very excited to show me this listing as he knew it was great, the owner, who was not occupying the house at the time, left a key in a lockbox that the realtor had to scan with his iPhone to unlock it. Unfortunately, this failed as after many attempts, even after the realtor deleted and downloaded the application again. Since the owner did not leave a backup method of getting into the home (like the pin for the garage door), the realtor was disappointed as he was unable to show me the listing. Since these were the only two listings the realtor had, he drove me back to Deerfield Beach and we had a great time schmoozing while we were driving. Despite the fact that the house I saw was not great, we are still working with our realtor as we find him to be very patient, attuned to our needs as he keeps sending us better and better listings each time, and a terrific person! I arrived back at my hotel at 3:00PM and I bid farewell to our realtor, who wished me a safe flight home the next day and offered to keep me posted as far as home listings. Since temperatures were in the 70s, I decided to relax by the pool on a chaise lounge for a bit. At around a quarter after five, I began to feel hungry, so I decided to walk the beachfront promenade one last time to head to Mississippi Sweets BBQ, as that is one of my favorite restaurants in South Florida and was unsure when I would be back in the area, so this would make an excellent treat! I arrived there about ten minutes later, where I was greeted by Dan along with Linda, one of the co-owners along with her husband, Jerry and her friend, Randy along with his wife. Since I had not met her before, I was very happy to meet her and found her to be a delightful hostess as she was friendly, enthusiastic, and eager to make sure that the customers were pleased! After I took a seat, I was greeted by my sweet waitress, Sam, who was fairly new, being there only two weeks as she shadowed Kelly, a more experienced waitress who was also very sweet! Sam took my order for a Paddlewheel with Tractor Treads and Mississippi Sweets along with a Sweet Tea. While I was waiting, I decided to take a selfie by the neon-lit "bbq" sign and seeing that I was taking a picture, Sam offered to take a picture for me. Seeing that I was having fun and wanting to join in, Kyla, my wonderful waitress from dining on Wednesday night, also struck a pose with me! It was a great picture and it made my evening more fun, even though I would be leaving next day.

My dinner finally arrived and as always, it was delicious! Since it was a large portion as well like the other times I have been there, I decided to save a portion of the sides and a grilled chicken breast for lunch the next day as it would make a perfect pre-flight meal! In addition, Sam offered me a to-go refill of Sweet Tea, which was definitely appreciated! After finishing my dinner, I thanked Linda, Dan, Sam, Kelly, and Kyla for a wonderful time! They were very appreciative of my gratitude and asked me when I would be coming back to Florida? I told them I was not sure yet, but that I would definitely be back and possibly a regular if I moved to the area. They thanked me very much for coming and wished me a great trip home! After a fabulous dinner at Mississippi Sweets, I took my last walk along the Deerfield Beach promenade to my hotel and I got back at around 6:45PM. When I arrived back at my room, I called mom and spoke to her for thirty minutes, mentioning that I was looking forward to seeing her at about 3:00PM the next day! After speaking to my mom, I put my iPhone 6 and iPad 2 in their chargers to charge overnight as they were low on battery. Then, I took a shower, brushed my teeth, and packed most of my clothing. Once I was done packing, my dad texted me to wish me a good trip home and we talked about my trip. Finally, I set the alarm on my iPhone and requested a wake-up call for 6:00AM, as I was planning to pack my toiletries last minute and have breakfast. When all of this was said and done, I went to sleep at 11:00PM.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:57 pm

Nice my grandparents also live in Deerfield Beach, I walk over towards that exact Embassy Suites a lot. Lol.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Gold Card holder, JetBlue Trueblue, HiltonHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by MKEflyer95
Nice my grandparents also live in Deerfield Beach, I walk over towards that exact Embassy Suites a lot. Lol.
That is awesome MKEflyer95! After finally visiting Deerfield Beach proper (I had passed through it but never had a chance to visit), I have to say that I love it! It is a cool town with great restaurants, shops, and a beautiful beach! Haha you know exactly where I was lol! Hope you get to go to Deerfield Beach soon and thank you again MKEflyer95!
Old Jan 28, 2015, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by WolfieG
That is awesome MKEflyer95! After finally visiting Deerfield Beach proper (I had passed through it but never had a chance to visit), I have to say that I love it! It is a cool town with great restaurants, shops, and a beautiful beach! Haha you know exactly where I was lol! Hope you get to go to Deerfield Beach soon and thank you again MKEflyer95!
I am going to Deerfield Beach this spring in fact. I'm flying through PBI on Delta instead of FLL which I normally fly into every other time I come down here. One of my four flights down and back is in an MD-90 and another is on a former AirTran 717
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MKEflyer95
I am going to Deerfield Beach this spring in fact. I'm flying through PBI on Delta instead of FLL which I normally fly into every other time I come down here. One of my four flights down and back is in an MD-90 and another is on a former AirTran 717
That's wonderful! FLL isn't a bad airport, but you will love flying through PBI. While it is smaller than FLL, the airport really runs like clockwork as luggage off the plane comes off of the baggage claim quickly, security lines are not bad, and the airport is very well kept! I've never been on an MD-90 or 717, but I heard that both are nice aircraft! Over the past 5-10 years in flying DL to various Floridian cities from JFK/LGA, I have been on MD-88s, 738s, and 752s to MCO; A320s and MD-88s to PBI, and MD-88s to FLL. Have a great time in Deerfield Beach MKEflyer95!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:05 am
Original Poster

1/17/2015: Dl2513 pbi-jfk

**Flight Information**:
Origin Airport: Palm Beach International Airport (PBI), West Palm Beach, FL
Destination Airport: New York-John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), New York, NY
Airline and Flight Number: Delta Air Lines 2513
Aircraft: Boeing/McDonnell Douglas MD-88
Cabin, Seat: Economy, 20E
Scheduled Departure/Actual Departure: 12:05PM/12:17PM
Scheduled Arrival/Actual Arrival: 2:45PM/2:38PM
Departure Airport Terminal, Gate: Concourse C, Gate C1
Arrival Airport Terminal, Gate: Terminal 4, Gate B39

a)Before Airport/Getting to Airport:
I printed my boarding passes the day before my flight. The Embassy Suites Deerfield Beach offers computers hooked up to printers in back of the lobby, where you can print boarding passes free of charge. I went directly to the Delta website and printed my boarding passes with ease. I checked the seat map, but I was fine with my current seat. Compared to my flight in, my PBI-JFK had much higher passenger loads according to the seat map, with about 85%-90% of the seats taken. After my dinner at Mississippi Sweets, I went back to my room to charge my iPhone and iPad for the next day, pack my bags, and get some sleep. I set a 6:00AM wake up call and went to sleep at about 11:30PM.
On Saturday, January 17th, 2015, I woke up at 6:00AM. I got ready in the usual way and then called my mom before breakfast to let her know my expected arrival time. She told me how much she loved me and that she was excited for my arrival. I then went to breakfast at the BT's Oceanfront Grille (the hotel restaurant) at 7:30AM, which was delicious! After breakfast, I went upstairs to make sure I had all of my belongings and at 9:00AM, checked out to wait for my ride from Diamond Coach. I also called my mom again, to let her know that I was waiting, as well as my dad.
At about 9:05AM, I received a call from Michael, my driver from Diamond Coach. He sounded very chipper and let me know that he was en route to pick me up. At 9:25AM, my black Mercury Grand Marquis, which was clean and in excellent condition awaited and I said goodbye and thank you to the wonderful staff that served me during my excellent stay at the Embassy Suites. Michael was as jovial as he sounded on the phone and he was friendly, courteous, and professional. He opened the door for me, loaded my suitcase into the trunk, and we were soon on our way!
We left the Embassy Suites at 9:28AM and we turned left onto Hillsboro Blvd (FL-810) from FL-A1A northbound, in order to access Interstate 95 northbound. There was not too much traffic on the road as we drove for about half an hour to get to Palm Beach International Airport.

Along the way, I had an interesting time talking to Michael. I learned that he moved to Florida 25 years ago, after he immigrated to the United States from his home country of Romania. He mentioned that after he visited Florida, he fell in love with it and moved to Pompano Beach, not far from where I was visiting. I mentioned that I may be joining him in moving down to Florida with my mother and he was happy to hear that, as he said that we would love living down there! I mentioned how my maternal grandparents used to live in Highland Beach and were also Holocaust Survivors from Poland. He mentioned that he lost family members as the Nazis invaded Romania. However, he was thankful that his family was there to look out for Jewish people who lived in his community by hiding them from the Nazis and the Jews looked out for his family. He added that today, he volunteers in the Jewish community by delivering challah to the elderly Jews on Shabbat, as they cannot drive on Shabbat. This made for an amazing discussion of our histories and how they were similar as my ride up I-95 northbound went quickly. We also talked about the NYC area, as I live nearby and Michael has friends and family in Brooklyn, which is an area that is very familiar to me as my paternal grandparents live in Sheepshead Bay. As we had an interesting time chatting, I realized that time went by quickly as nearly thirty minutes later, we were nearing Exit 69, the direct exit for Palm Beach International Airport as well as Belvedere Rd.
-I-95 Exit 69:

We exited I-95 and soon enough, we were approaching the Main Terminal by about 10:00AM

Unfortunately, we had to wait a little bit until we could pull up to the Delta curbside check-in as there were many other vehicles dropping passengers off. Thankfully, I was not anxious as I still had plenty of time to make my flight. About three minutes later, I paid Michael the $65 with gratuity for my excellent ride to the airport and he unloaded my belongings and wished me a great trip home. Based on my two experiences, I would definitely recommend Diamond Coach for ground transportation in Palm Beach/Broward Counties as the drivers were excellent, the cars were clean and in excellent condition, and the prices were reasonable. Not wasting anytime, I lined up for curbside check in.

b)At Airport:
After lining up at the curbside check-in, my wait was minimal as there only a family in front of me checking in for their flight to Boston. When they were checked-in, Julie, the friendly and efficient agent, had my bags tagged and ready to go at 10:05AM according to the time/date information on my iPhone. As I walked into the terminal, I was once again impressed by PBI, as I find it to be very clean and well maintained, aesthetically pleasing, and easy to use.

I went down the escalator from the check-in level to the main level, where I was greeted by the open and airy main concourse.

The security line looked a little longer than when I last flew from PBI in August 2012, but as I would learn later, looks can definitely be deceiving. While I was waiting, I observed that one a friendly and thorough TSA agent was using a wand-like device on the palms of people's hands, as I have not seen this device in use at other airports I have been to. I was intrigued to learn that the machine was used to detect traces of chemicals that could be dangerous (i.e. explosives), which was impressive! A few minutes later, another TSA officer told me to leave on my shoes and since I don't do Pre-Check, I was surprised. I noticed others being directed to the Pre-Check line as well. I asked the friendly and thorough TSA agent if he was sure as I am used to taking my sneakers off and he told me not to worry about it. I put my belongings on the belt, went through the scanner, and collected my belongings in a quick ten minutes time! Overall, PBI has an excellent security operation, as it is efficient, friendly, and thorough. With about an hour and twenty minutes until boarding, I decided to take pictures around the open and airy Concourse C, plane spot, and eat my delicious leftover lunch from Mississippi Sweets BBQ.
-Flight Information Board (Service is more limited here despite the airport's medium size and Customs and Immigration facility compared to MIA or even FLL, with service mainly to Northeastern cities (BOS, EWR, JFK, LGA, PHL, BWI, DCA, IAD), other major U.S. hubs (i.e. ATL, CLT, DFW, DTW, IAH, ORD), AA to LAX, the Bahamas, and seasonal service on AC to YUL and YYZ:

Before spotting, I settled at Gate C1 for a bit and ate lunch. While I was waiting, I ran into my college friend Julie, who was traveling back to JFK on my flight with her boyfriend after visiting her boyfriend's family in Tampa (they flew there on B6 from JFK, but were flying back to JFK on DL as it was much cheaper than B6), stopping for one day in Disney, and then visiting her family in Jensen Beach, about 40 minutes north of PBI. They had a wonderful time in Florida and we talked briefly, until they went to grab a bite at Chili's Too before our flight. After I had my lunch, I walked around the terminal and plane spotted.
-Gate C1:

-N33284, a United Boeing 737-800 operating as UA3566 to EWR:

-U.S. Airways Boeing 757-200:

-N534US, a Delta Boeing 757-200 operating as DL1134 to ATL:

-N317JB, a jetBlue Embraer E-190 arriving from DCA as B6433 and going back to DCA later as B6634:

-N605JB, a jetBlue Airbus A320 Red Sox livery operating as B6544 to EWR:

-American Airlines Boeing 737-800 heading to DFW:

-N918DL arriving a little early from JFK and operating as DL2513 back to JFK:

-N958DL, another Delta MD-88 on the lower left operating as DL1793 to DTW along with N918DL, the MD-88 operating as DL2513 to JFK on the lower right, N33284, a United Boeing 737-800 on the upper right, an American Boeing 737-800 on the upper left, and further on the upper left, a Southwest Boeing 737:

-Close-up of N918DL at Gate C1:

After I spotted, my mom called at about 11:00AM. I was very happy to hear from her and I let her know that all was well, as my flight would be arriving on time and into Terminal 4 at Gate B39, so she should would know where to park when picking me up. We chatted for about 20 minutes and then wished me a great flight! Before we were to board at 11:35AM, I went to Starbucks, where I got an Iced Vanilla Latte and then I used the restroom, which was immaculate! Back at the gate, I met a Philosophy professor from Queens who taught at another college near where I used to go as well as Georgette, an middle-aged to older lady from West Palm Beach flying to Paris via JFK on Delta. Since this was her first time through JFK, I offered to guide her as I knew JFK well and she was sitting nearby in 21C. At 11:35AM, the gate agents commenced boarding for Delta Air Lines 2513 to New York-JFK. I boarded with Zone 1 thanks to my Skymiles Gold Card, where the amiable gate agent addressed me by my last name and wished me a great flight. I was sad to leave Florida, but happy that I would be seeing my mom in a couple of hours!

c)Delta Air Lines 2513:
I boarded N918DL, the Delta MD-88 that would take me to JFK via Gate C1's jetway and entered the aircraft via doorway 1L. As I boarded, I was greeted by Andrea, a chipper young flight attendant who asked me how I was doing? I told her that I was doing well and that I couldn't complain and she was very glad that I was happy to be onboard. As I made my way to seat 20E, I found that this aircraft was refurbished recently, as it had the new Delta First Class seat covers that with had the diamond pattern and the Delta triangle on the top, not unlike N945DL, the MD-88 that operated DL2462 from JFK-PBI on 1/12/2015. First impressions of the aircraft that it was clean and well maintained. I arrived at seat 20E, which had pretty good legroom due to being on the side of the aircraft with two seats as well as decent width. Once I arrived at my seat, I noticed that this plane was not in perfect shape like the plane I came in as I noticed what appeared to be a scratch near the bottom left plastic part of the seat as well as a loose piece of thread near the top right part of the storage net of the seat. Despite these minor factors, I found the plane to be in pretty good shape!
-Legroom Shot:

-Sad to be leaving the Sunshine State:

-But very happy about the fact I will be returning home to my mom and my pets:

-Air Canada Airbus A320 heading to YYZ:

As boarding continued, I was joined by my seat-mate Robert, a very friendly and interesting gentleman from Central Palm Beach County who was a businessman and also did personal training on the side. He was flying to JFK to connect to an Alitalia flight to FCO and then to ATH, where he would be traveling on business. I mentioned that I heard Athens is an amazing place to visit and would love to go there sometime. However, we both agreed that PBI-JFK-FCO-ATH with a change from T4 to T1 at JFK (I checked Robert's JFK-FCO flight number on my iPhone and confirmed this) made for a long itinerary. I added that DL operates a JFK-ATH flight nonstop, but it is only a seasonal route and he wished that the route was operating now, as it would ease his travels. During parts of the flight, we talked about our lives and Florida. Once boarding finished and the cabin was ready for departure, we pushed back and made our way to the runway. A middle-age to older male flight attendant with a thin white mustache and grey hair, whose name I did not get, did the final safety checks through the cabin along with Michelle, a middle-age flight attendant and thanked me for flying Delta in a warm tone. After waiting with only one aircraft in front of us, we took off to the east at 12:17PM and I was able to get a nice view of Palm Beach from my window seat as I felt the thrust of the MD-88's engines on our ascent.

After flying over Palm Beach, the plane went east over the Atlantic and then turned north, paralleling the Florida coastline. Before we knew it, we hit 10,000 feet and I plugged my headphones into my iPhone and enjoyed listening to The Beatles, Billy Joel, Grateful Dead, Frank Sinatra, Bob Dylan, Blink-182, Coldplay, Elvis Costello, Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Clash, "Weird Al" Yankovich, and Elton John. Only twenty minutes into the flight, Michelle, who was very kind to all of the passengers and the male flight commenced snack and beverage service in the Economy cabin. Unlike DL2462, my flight from JFK-PBI, the flight attendants performed service using the carts, as there were far more passengers onboard than on my flight in. The male flight attendant reached my seat first with beverages and I chose a full can of Diet Coke, which he was happy to give me. Michelle followed behind with snacks and I chose peanuts. While I was not able to see exactly where the aircraft was as there was no IFE, I was able to see that by a little over an hour into the flight, we were already over the Outer Banks of North Carolina.
-A lot of people onboard:

After flying over the Outer Banks, we followed the coastlines of North Carolina and Virginia. Near Virginia, Michelle came around the cabin a couple of times with a bottle of water, which was an offer that I appreciated and accepted! With the time nearing 1:45PM, I unplugged my headphones to put them away and went to use the lavatory. Unfortunately, one of the two lavatories in Economy was out of service and I did not bother to use the First Class lavatory, so I had to wait a bit. Thankfully, the lavatory that was working was clean and well-stocked. On the way back to my seat, I saw Michelle, who asked me how everything was and I told her that all was well and that I look forward to seeing my mom and pets when I landed. She was very happy for me and she was glad that I was doing well. I went back to my seat, where I noticed that we were already flying over Delaware by 2:00PM! Around this time, the flight attendants did a couple of rounds of trash collection and when Michelle came by, I noticed that Georgette, who was traveling to CDG via JFK on Delta metal asked Michelle where she would go? Michelle did not have the gate information, but offered to check for her anyway and offered her basic instructions on getting around in Terminal 4. While Georgette was waiting, I used the Delta App to check the Delta flight from JFK-CDG. No information was listed on the app (except that the flight would be departing from T4), but Michelle came back to inform Georgette that the CDG flight would be leaving from B34, which would be an easy walk from our gate. I also offered to walk with Georgette to B34 as I was heading in the same direction to get to the T4 baggage claim, but Georgette told me she now knew how to get around T4, thanks to Michelle's helpful instructions. Nonetheless, she was very thankful for my offers of help. At around 2:15PM, the captain turned on the fasten seatbelt sign and instructed the flight attendants and passengers to prepare for landing. As we descended, I could see we were following the Jersey Shore and somewhere near Long Branch, the plane turned right and soon enough, I could see that we were getting close as I was able to see the South Shore of Long Island in the distance.

Once we neared Long Island and flew over Jones Beach State Park, I could see that we were flying over Eastern Nassau County as from my window, I was able to see the Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway (NY-135) as well as the Ronkonkoma and Central branch of the Long Island Railroad (LIRR), including the point at which the Central branch diverges from the Ronkonkoma branch to meet the Babylon/Montauk branches.

The plane flew further north over Nassau County and I could see that we were flying over the Oyster Bay, Centre Island, Locust Valley, and Bayville areas.

After reaching Northeastern Nassau County, the plane turned west and paralleled the Long Island Expressway (I-495) and Northern State Parkway. Around the Port Washington/Roslyn/Manhasset/Great Neck areas, the plane turned to the southwest as I could see the Throgs Neck and Whitestone Bridges out the window as well as the New York City skyline. It was at this point I realized that we would likely be landing on Runway 22L, as my January 2014 MCO-JFK flight on DL took a similar path to land on that runway.

We continued to fly over Western Nassau County/Eastern Queens County to approach JFK and I knew we were getting closer as I could see the Belmont Racetrack as well as the skyline.

After Belmont, it seemed as if we continue to fly over Western Nassau/Eastern Queens as I could see we were over the Belt Parkway. Before we knew it, I could feel the plane making its final descent and I could see we were aiming for Runway 22L.

Finally, we the captain made a very smooth landing on Runway 22L and we were at JFK! After we were welcomed to JFK by the ATL-based crew (learned from arrival announcements) and we got the OK to use cellphones, I called my mom to let her know that I landed. She was very happy and said that Terminal 4, despite its massive size, was easy to get around as she felt the signage was clear and accurate and she felt Terminal 4 was in much better shape and cleaner than Terminal 3 when we last flew DL into JFK. I told her I would probably be ten minutes until I arrived at the baggage claim, as I was arriving at Gate B39, which is further down Concourse B. She added that since the Domestic Baggage Claim was patrolled by security officers, she had to wait outside of the baggage claim near a barricade as only ticketed passengers were allowed in. She thanked me for calling her and told me she would see me in ten minutes. As we taxied to Gate B39, I saw some interesting action.
-Delta action at Terminal 4 save for a lone Swiss Airlines Airbus A330:

-From left to right: Singapore Airlines Airbus A380, jetBlue action at Terminal 5, and a Delta jet on the taxiway:

-From left to right at Terminal 4: Rear of Emirates Airbus A380, Virgin Atlantic Airbus A330, El-Al Boeing 747-400, and a Singapore Airlines A380:

-N184DN, a Delta Boeing 767-300 that arrived from BRU and was heading to LHR later that evening from Gate B22:

We arrived at Gate B39, where I was excited to arrive into Terminal 4, as I remembered it was clean, well-maintained, and had very good amenities. Even though it would be at least a ten minute walk to the baggage claim, I did not mind as I did not get to see T4 beyond Gate B30 as my January 2014 JFK-MCO flight left from the B20 gates. I disembarked the plane, where Andrea and the captain thanked me for flying Delta and wished me a good day in a warm and sincere tone. After exiting N918DL, I ascended the "Stairway to Heaven" aka the long jetway from the plane into Terminal 4.

d)Arrival:
After I ascending the jetway, I entered Terminal 4, which I found to be clean, well-maintained, and filled with very good amenities, like comfortable seats with outlets by the gates and good places to eat, like Shake Shack.
-Looking towards the new RJ Gates:

-Shake Shack (there are now 2 of them in Terminal 4, one near Gate B36 (depicted) and one in the B20s):

My walk went a little quicker than anticipated as the moving walkways were working!

-Nice shot of planes while heading to baggage claim: From left to right: Emirates Airbus A380, Swiss Airlines Airbus A330 at Gate B27, and a Virgin Atlantic Airbus A330:

-Flight information:

After a longish yet stimulating walk through Concourse B and the large dining and shopping area of the headhouse, I made my way down to the domestic baggage claim via the escalators near the area leading to Concourse A. The escalator landing was quiet and peaceful, unlike Terminal 2's baggage claim escalator landing where I was solicited by unauthorized cabbies after my MCO-JFK flight. After a 12 minute walk from Gate B39, I saw my mom in the baggage claim area as opposed to outside it and we gave each other huge hugs. As soon as Baggage Claim 11 started, I had my suitcase in less than two minutes.

Mom could not believe how efficiently the baggage was delivered and while the walk was long, I find that Terminal 4 is much more efficient than the former Terminal 3. Before we walked to the surface parking lot outside the terminal, mom needed to use the restroom and remarked how much cleaner the restrooms were than before! Overall, we both agreed that this terminal was the next best terminal at JFK before Terminal 5, which is still the best terminal at JFK in my opinion. On our way out of the terminal, mom thanked the security guard who allowed her into the baggage claim area and she revealed that when she told the guard she was there to pick me up, the guard let her in but told her not to tell anybody.
-Terminal 4 Arrivals Hall:

We arrived outside by my mom's car and the 30 degree temperatures were quite a drop from Southern Floridian temperatures in the 70s and 80s. After I loaded my suitcase, we got into the car and left JFK. We exited the airport and took the Belt and Southern State Parkways eastbound to the Meadowbrook Parkway northbound in order to reach our home in Central Nassau. While the ride from JFK to my home normally takes 30 minutes, it took more like an hour to get home due to very heavy congestion on the Southern State Parkway from Exit 17N-S (Hempstead Avenue towards West Hempstead and Malverne) until some point past Exit 22N-S, the exit for the Meadowbrook Parkway. We arrived home at about 4:00PM and I was very happy to see my dogs and guinea pigs. While I had a terrific time in Deerfield Beach, FL, I was happy to have new memories and be home with my family!

e)DL2513 Impressions/Ratings:
Delta Air Lines 2513 from PBI to JFK was another very good flight! Flight attendants Andrea, Michelle, and the male flight attendant whose name I did not get were friendly, accommodating, upbeat, and very helpful! While the plane was not in near perfect shape like DL2462, my flight from JFK-PBI, the plane was still in very good shape and mostly clean. The seats were fine and the free snacks and beverages were excellent as always and the flight attendants were not stingy with them. All in all, I feel Delta is doing a very good job in the field of U.S. carriers and I would definitely fly them again when the opportunity arises.
**Please note, due to the fact that in-seat IFE was not available on this flight, I have adjusted the other four scoring factors to be out of 25 so that they would add up to 100. Here they are:
Service: 25/25 (Flight attendants were friendly, polite, and very helpful!)
Snacks: 25/25 (The free snacks are always excellent and the FA's were more than happy to give you the whole can of a beverage on request. The water run later in flight was appreciated too!)
Seat Comfort: 21/25 (The side of the MD-88 with two seats adds comfort and privacy to the standard Y seat.)
Plane Cleanliness/Condition: 20/25 (Plane was in mostly good shape and clean, but a lavatory was out of service and I observed minor wear and tear in some areas)
Grade: 91 (A-)

Last edited by WolfieG; Feb 1, 2015 at 7:49 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.