Wiki Posts
Search

Christmas and New Year’s Getaway to Tokyo in SAS Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2015, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by OMGImInPattaya
A very nice and comprehensive trip report. I know these are allot of work to prepare so thank you for taking the time and effort to share your SAS and Tokyo experience with us. I am just curious as to how and why you developed your interest in Tokyo and Japanese culture and cuisine? Scandinavia is a long way from Tokyo, which you call your favorite city in the world. What do you find so interesting about Tokyo as compared to your typical European city?

As for SAS, I had the misfortune to fly them once from Bangkok to Singapore return and all I can say is never again! It was almost like I was doing the crew a favor by allowing them to serve me...but I guess that's the way Scandinavian egalitarianism works...like the no respect for premium boarding lines or passenger exits.
Thank you! Well I guess Tokyo is one of the best destinations in the world for food, and since I've always had a liking for explodint different food cultures Tokyo has always been a favourite of mine. I guess it's pretty hard to explain why I like Tokyo, but compared to Scandinavia they are just two different ends of the spectrum.

Originally Posted by Braniff
LH4116,

Thank you for sharing. It's been quite some time since I flew SAS long-haul in Business. One of my memories is that they served all the food with the aluminum/plastic covers still in place over the food. I could not believe that they were so lazy as to not take them off! I was later told it was policy !! Has that changed - or were you kind in your photography ;-)

I did not realise Norwegian cabin crew were considered the worst...

Braniff
In my experience the Norwegian crews have always been the worst, especially when I flew EWR-ARN which unfortunately had a grumpy senior Norwegian crew. It was by far the worst service I have ever received in international Business Class, and they are truly a disgrace for SAS. The same applies for my other flights to/from Oslo with Norwegian crews where they've just been grumpy and unwilling to smile or even answer small requests such as extra drinks. In fact just asking for a refill, they will give you a loud sigh like you're asking them for a HUGE favour. Really hope those old hags get forced into retirement ASAP.

Originally Posted by skullis85
Wouldn´t pay an extra dime to be in the SAS´ so called Business Class, its a disgrace!
It was an award ticket, so thankfully I didn't have to pay full price. For paid tickets I prefer Turkish Airlines who offer a better product at half the price.

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Nice report but your mention of the wagyu being so wonderful compared to the "fake crap they have in the US"..........well, you've been going to the wrong restaurants (perhaps out of your budget, from what you've said in your report) in America. The Americans have some excellent beef. It's just like anywhere else - you get what you pay for. If you want good beef, then you have to go to where quality is served. I've never heard Sweden mentioned when great beef is brought up, or perhaps I'm missing something.

On the topic of food....you mentioned that the sashimi you got was "too fresh for your liking". How else do you expect it to be served?
As the other poster pointed out I wasn't referring to meat in general in the US, which has some of the best steakhouses in the world… Like Peter Luger's in New York which was simply FANTASTIC. I was referring to the use of "Kobe beef" on many restaurant menus in the US, which is really false advertising since they serve up meat that is nowere close to the real deal. There's an interesting article about it on Forbes, if you as a self-proclaimed connoisseur of all things food haven't yet read.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:18 am
hco

Programs: SAS *G
Interesting TR, thank you. Would like to try the special beer. Nice to see fruit basket.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 7:26 am

Very nice, thank you! Will you be flying the new SAS J in the future?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Great report as usual. Thank you for taking the time to write and edit the photos. I love Tokyo and its food and atmosphere. Great place to photograph.

On SAS, I have had so many opportunities to take SAS, but my Swedish friends keep telling me it is not good and some even rank CA better than SAS. I have been flying LX, OS, LH, SQ and now TK for most of my transatlantic and EU-Asia travels. Based on what you have shown here, I am tempted to give it a try. May be I will include an SAS long-haul flight in one of my RTW trips this year.

Originally Posted by LH4116
Introduction

I can think of at least one person who would appreciate this book.
^ Love to take a look at the book. I sure will search for it.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Feb 10, 2015 at 11:37 pm
Old Feb 10, 2015, 8:41 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
LH4116 Thanks for the Trip Report. I enjoyed reading it.

I've never flown SAS and read your post with interest. Typically I take VA or United, and on rare occasion BA.

ILLY Espresso? I'm on board.

Nice Photos and good commentary. Thank you.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Glad you enjoyed my adopted country. Rfe you comment about passport checks, if you arrive by NEX or Skyliner all passengers are also passport checked after the ticket inspection.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:55 pm

Thank you! Well I guess Tokyo is one of the best destinations in the world for food, and since I've always had a liking for explodint different food cultures Tokyo has always been a favourite of mine. I guess it's pretty hard to explain why I like Tokyo, but compared to Scandinavia they are just two different ends of the spectrum.

In my experience the Norwegian crews have always been the worst, especially when I flew EWR-ARN which unfortunately had a grumpy senior Norwegian crew. It was by far the worst service I have ever received in international Business Class, and they are truly a disgrace for SAS. The same applies for my other flights to/from Oslo with Norwegian crews where they've just been grumpy and unwilling to smile or even answer small requests such as extra drinks. In fact just asking for a refill, they will give you a loud sigh like you're asking them for a HUGE favour. Really hope those old hags get forced into retirement ASAP.

It was an award ticket, so thankfully I didn't have to pay full price. For paid tickets I prefer Turkish Airlines who offer a better product at half the price.

As the other poster pointed out I wasn't referring to meat in general in the US, which has some of the best steakhouses in the world… Like Peter Luger's in New York which was simply FANTASTIC. I was referring to the use of "Kobe beef" on many restaurant menus in the US, which is really false advertising since they serve up meat that is nowere close to the real deal. There's an interesting article about it on Forbes, if you as a self-proclaimed connoisseur of all things food haven't yet read.
Next time if you like Kobe beef try a small Tappenyaki in Hamamatsucho called Kaji, its excellent and reasonable.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingfox
Nice report but your mention of the wagyu being so wonderful compared to the "fake crap they have in the US"..........well, you've been going to the wrong restaurants (perhaps out of your budget, from what you've said in your report) in America. The Americans have some excellent beef. It's just like anywhere else - you get what you pay for. If you want good beef, then you have to go to where quality is served. I've never heard Sweden mentioned when great beef is brought up, or perhaps I'm missing something.

On the topic of food....you mentioned that the sashimi you got was "too fresh for your liking". How else do you expect it to be served?
I agree there is excellent beef in the US, however Japanese beef is a totally different taste texture and style, some prefer it some not, its like comparing pork and beef, totally different. The problem is that many US establishments advertise Kobe or Wagyu beef which is US beef trying to look like Japanese beef, I assure you, its NOT.
Old Feb 14, 2015, 11:02 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
What a great report, thanks so much for posting ^

I have grown to love Tokyo & indeed will be returning for my next visit short though it is (less than 48 hours) in a few weeks. Cannot wait.

Where would you suggest for a casual-ish but lovely lunch within the Shinjuku area? Thanks!

Last edited by NoY; Feb 15, 2015 at 3:26 am
Old Feb 15, 2015, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hco
Interesting TR, thank you. Would like to try the special beer. Nice to see fruit basket.
Thank you! Yes the fruit basket was very nice, especially since they stocked strawberries which went well with the Champagne. SAS are also coming out with an IPA in addition to the two lagers, so it will be cool to try it out some time.
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
Very nice, thank you! Will you be flying the new SAS J in the future?
Thank you! I hope to fly the new Business Class at some point, if they run a good promotion. SAS Business fares are normally very high.
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Great report as usual. Thank you for taking the time to write and edit the photos. I love Tokyo and its food and atmosphere. Great place to photograph.

On SAS, I have had so many opportunities to take SAS, but my Swedish friends keep telling me it is not good and some even rank CA better than SAS. I have been flying LX, OS, LH, SQ and now TK for most of my transatlantic and EU-Asia travels. Based on what you have shown here, I am tempted to give it a try. May be I will include an SAS long-haul flight in one of my RTW trips this year.

^ Love to take a look at the book. I sure will search for it.
Thanks for stopping by UA_Flyer! I do have to agree with your friends that SAS may not be the best airline out there, especially compared to the likes of Turkish Airlines or SWISS. But I would certainly say that they are better than Lufthansa or Air China, and with the new product coming into place they will by far have the best Business Class hard product in Star Alliance. You should try and get onboard one of their A330s this spring, since they will have the new cabin first.

Originally Posted by RobbieRunner
LH4116 Thanks for the Trip Report. I enjoyed reading it.

I've never flown SAS and read your post with interest. Typically I take VA or United, and on rare occasion BA.

ILLY Espresso? I'm on board.

Nice Photos and good commentary. Thank you.
Thank you! The illy Espresso is a really nice touch indeed, and the same goes for the cheese plate which features some rather exotic varieties that you won't find on United. You should give them a try sometime.

Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
Glad you enjoyed my adopted country. Rfe you comment about passport checks, if you arrive by NEX or Skyliner all passengers are also passport checked after the ticket inspection.
Thank you! On my previous trips to Narita I've always taken the slow and cheap Keisei train, and they never check passports. Is there any reason to why they check passports prior to arriving at the airport, since it doesn't happen at Haneda?

Originally Posted by NoY
What a great report, thanks so much for posting ^

I have grown to love Tokyo & indeed will be returning for my next visit short though it is (less than 48 hours) in a few weeks. Cannot wait.

Where would you suggest for a casual-ish but lovely lunch within the Shinjuku area? Thanks!
I would suggest Nakajima in Shinjuku. 1 Star Michelin restaurant, which offers lunch for 800 Yen. Pretty nice atmosphere and great value, though remember to show up on time since the queues can get long.

Cheers!
Old Feb 15, 2015, 6:45 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Fantastic TR
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:18 am

That food looks nice. You have the list of restaurants you went to?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
Great report! I'm unlikely to fly SAS any time soon, so it's interesting to see what I'm missing out on. The hard product definitely looks dated, but the food and drink looks excellent.
Old Feb 15, 2015, 7:27 pm

Thank you! Yes the fruit basket was very nice, especially since they stocked strawberries which went well with the Champagne. SAS are also coming out with an IPA in addition to the two lagers, so it will be cool to try it out some time.

Thank you! I hope to fly the new Business Class at some point, if they run a good promotion. SAS Business fares are normally very high.

Thanks for stopping by UA_Flyer! I do have to agree with your friends that SAS may not be the best airline out there, especially compared to the likes of Turkish Airlines or SWISS. But I would certainly say that they are better than Lufthansa or Air China, and with the new product coming into place they will by far have the best Business Class hard product in Star Alliance. You should try and get onboard one of their A330s this spring, since they will have the new cabin first.

Thank you! The illy Espresso is a really nice touch indeed, and the same goes for the cheese plate which features some rather exotic varieties that you won't find on United. You should give them a try sometime.

Thank you! On my previous trips to Narita I've always taken the slow and cheap Keisei train, and they never check passports. Is there any reason to why they check passports prior to arriving at the airport, since it doesn't happen at Haneda?

I would suggest Nakajima in Shinjuku. 1 Star Michelin restaurant, which offers lunch for 800 Yen. Pretty nice atmosphere and great value, though remember to show up on time since the queues can get long.

Cheers!
On the passport check I have no idea why its only Narita, no checks as you say at haneda for any way of arrival. I suspect it goes back to the demonstraions when they built Narita, also the fact that until recently Haneda as domestic only.

Once something is in place in Japan it does not change fast !!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Circumknowitall
Fantastic TR
Thank you!
Originally Posted by ccyao
That food looks nice. You have the list of restaurants you went to?
I don't have the complete list in my head. Though the sushi was at Chiyoda Sushi in Tsukiji, and steak was at Ikinari Steakhouse in Roppongi.
Originally Posted by HighlandExpress
Great report! I'm unlikely to fly SAS any time soon, so it's interesting to see what I'm missing out on. The hard product definitely looks dated, but the food and drink looks excellent.
Thank you. Yes they are currently refitting their fleet with a new Business Class seat which offers aisle access for all passengers. Also the tray is now gone, so all in all I'd say with the new product they are in the top.
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
On the passport check I have no idea why its only Narita, no checks as you say at haneda for any way of arrival. I suspect it goes back to the demonstraions when they built Narita, also the fact that until recently Haneda as domestic only.

Once something is in place in Japan it does not change fast !!
Thanks for explaining it. Yeah I could imagine change happening at a very slow pace in Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.