Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Experiencing flying as a “non-rev”: Traveling Standby to Australia (AC J/Y,UA Y,QF J)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Experiencing flying as a “non-rev”: Traveling Standby to Australia (AC J/Y,UA Y,QF J)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2015, 2:30 am

haha I'm in your pictures! I was on the back balcony of the Opera House (the one above the ground) for New Year's Eve-unfortunately my lens motor broke so my pictures didn't come out too well in my TR though...

Great report!
Old Jan 19, 2015, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by steveman518
haha I'm in your pictures! I was on the back balcony of the Opera House (the one above the ground) for New Year's Eve-unfortunately my lens motor broke so my pictures didn't come out too well in my TR though...

Great report!
That's funny steveman518 - small world.

I'll have to keep an eye out for your report.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Qantas Business Lounge
Sydney Kingford Smith – Domestic Terminal 3

I had booked our domestic Australian flights courtesy of British Airways Avios. The BA Avios points started life as RBC Avion Visa points. I had converted 40,000 RBC Avion Visa points to BA Avois points during the usual fall 50% bonus conversion promotion. Thanks to the British Airways distance based reward chart, we were able to get each flight segment in business class for 15,000 points per segment for a total of 60,000 points for two and an easy $75 in taxes and fees for the two of us.

There was ample reward space available and I found that, at the time of this report, Qantas was making all available seats on the SYD-ADL route except for 1 available for reward redemptions.

My sister joined us in Adelaide courtesy of an industry ID90 “Z” fare on Qantas, booked the day before travel on the same flight.

The check in for today’s flight was in a bright and airy hall at Sydney’s Kingford Smith Domestic Terminal 3. Qantas has moved to the largest kiosk check in area that I’ve seen, probably in part due to the high labor costs in Australia.

We located the business class check in at the far left end of the hall. Our host Marc verbally invited us to the “nice buffet” in the business class lounge.

We used the priority screening lane to get to secure side. Australia still isn’t limiting traveling passengers only to the secure side of the terminal, meaning that anyone can get screened and wave goodbye at the gate. As a result, there was no check of the boarding pass for passengers traveling or not traveling at the security check point.

We went up escalators with a switch to business lounge to left or Qantas Club Lounge (credit card holders) to right. We went for the more upper crust business lounge. The access to the hidden Qantas Chairmans’ lounge (by invitation only) was also in this hallway. I was able to invite my sister in as a guest (one guest, traveling or not, was included with each business class fare) without any corresponding check of her boarding pass.

The Qantas Business Lounge Sydney is a massive space. On our visit, it was only about 40% occupied. Overall, it is a terrific experience. No wonder this company is having financial difficulties. According to the in flight magazine, the Qantas Group reported an underlying loss before tax of $646 million dollars and a statutory loss after tax of $2.8 billion for the period ending July 31, 2014.

Having said that, the Qantas lounge is probably the nicest domestic lounge I’ve ever been in. It easily topped the old Air New Zealand Koru Club in Los Angeles Terminal 2, and was a close call with the Amex Centurion Lounge in Las Vegas and later in San Francisco.

Lots of space with natural light led to a comfortable pre-flight experience…

There were also several work station areas toward the back of the lounge if windows weren’t your thing.

We settled in by the glass and stocked up on snacks. You get the picture here, the space and area just goes on and on.

There was a full sandwich buffet spread on offer, with approximately 6 wines on self pour.

There was also an option for epicurean wines including Penfold’s Grange paid for from an automated dispensing machine with payment with your Qantas Frequent Flier points.

The lounge had plenty of plane spotting opportunities, along with the Qantas maintenance hangars 131, 191, 245 and 271.

The lounge also promoted Qantas’ latest advertising campaign, “Welcome Home”, similar to the opening scenes of the movie Love Actually. I found that it actually made the lounge a bit more of a personable space.

We managed to spot the sole Boeing 737 in the vintage 1970’s retro livery that Qantas has recently converted.

During our visit, staff brought around Apricot Brandy drinks and nuts on a trolley cart. It was a nice touch that I haven’t seen in many other lounges worldwide except for the occasional full service first class lounge.

We had a comfortable time here before we headed to the gate for our domestic flight. The Qantas Business Lounge was easily worth a visit and we would aim to spend some time here again if we passed through again.
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
That's funny steveman518 - small world.

I'll have to keep an eye out for your report.
Here's my NYE post, though not quite up to the standard of your TRs
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post24136179

Looking forward to the next installment!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
Enjoying your TR.

The reto roo - was not converted but arrived from Seattle as it is. I was lucky enough to be in the Sydney QF J Club International on November 19, when it landed on its ferry flight from Boeing, at approx 1020am

I knew it was coming in , and was tracking it on Flight Radar, when the lounge dragon made a great PR announcement, resulting in most patrons standing at the windows to watch the landing.

I have a couple of crappy pics taken with my iphone
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:38 am

Fireworks in Sydney -

There are always fireworks going off in Sydney around the harbour.

If its not NYE or Australia Day or a sporting event, it will be a private birthday party, or a private celebration, a companies Christmas Party or a product launch.

Its a great bonus of our beautiful city, when I lived near the water in Sydney you would often hear the fireworks.

We get a bit blase about them.

Went out to dinner on Saturday night for a friends birthday, just as we sat down at 9pm, a burst of fireworks - which was a bonus, we all said it was for the birthday boy BUT no it was for something different
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steveman518
Here's my NYE post, though not quite up to the standard of your TRs
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...l#post24136179

Looking forward to the next installment!
Thanks for the link steveman518 - that was an enjoyable read. Next instalment coming right up!

Originally Posted by adampenrith
Enjoying your TR.

The reto roo - was not converted but arrived from Seattle as it is. I was lucky enough to be in the Sydney QF J Club International on November 19, when it landed on its ferry flight from Boeing, at approx 1020am

I knew it was coming in , and was tracking it on Flight Radar, when the lounge dragon made a great PR announcement, resulting in most patrons standing at the windows to watch the landing.

I have a couple of crappy pics taken with my iphone
Fireworks in Sydney -

There are always fireworks going off in Sydney around the harbour.

If its not NYE or Australia Day or a sporting event, it will be a private birthday party, or a private celebration, a companies Christmas Party or a product launch.

Its a great bonus of our beautiful city, when I lived near the water in Sydney you would often hear the fireworks.

We get a bit blase about them.

Went out to dinner on Saturday night for a friends birthday, just as we sat down at 9pm, a burst of fireworks - which was a bonus, we all said it was for the birthday boy BUT no it was for something different
Thanks adampenrith.

I did read up that there was a special B737 delivery ceremony in Everitt at Boeing featuring pilot / actor John Travolta of all things. The cosmetic is a nice touch and adds a bit of spirit. I didn't initially include the photograph but for those that are interested, here it is with a towed A380 in the background.

It's interesting that there are always fireworks in Sydney. We're lucky to have them 3 times a year in Vancouver during the Honda Celebration of Light but when it happens, it usually draws 80,000 people to the Vancouver beaches. At least there is the Australian party atmosphere that makes it entertaining all year around. ^
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Qantas
Business Class
SYD-ADL (Sydney Kingford Smith Domestic Terminal 3 – Adelaide International)
QF741 – Business Class (I)
6:40 PM – 8:15 PM
Thursday December 4, 2014
Booked: Boeing 737-800
Flown: Boeing 737-800

At about T-35, we wandered down from the lounge to Gate 1B. A large line of about 40 people had developed running down the length of the concourse. There appeared to be no priority board, although there was a priority lane that didn’t appear to be enforced. Rightly or wrongly, we wandered up to the front and ended up using the empty economy lane to “self-priority board”. Surprisingly, the only ID check was at check in during our travels. There was no identification check at security or on boarding of the aircraft which felt like traveling in an era well past.

Once on board, we settled into older style recliner seats that had been gracefully aged a bit. There was a recline feature for the seats but no in seat power. MrsWT73 commented that the equipment had aged quite considerably for a newer generation Boeing 737-800. I’d have to agree with her given that the 737-8 is the among the more current generations of the B737 series.

Somewhat drab and muted cabin that was without flair but completely functional.

Our carry on’s wouldn’t fit in the overhead bin. We had a very mild reminder consisting of a raised eye brow and a wink and a nod from the flight attendant that the carry on weight limit was 7 kg (15 lbs). Who travels with a bag that is that light weight these days? And why does Qantas have such a ridiculously light carry on limit? We ended up thinning down our bags a bit to make them fit by removing some items.

Our cabin didn’t have any individual video monitors. Entertainment was given from the main screen entertainment and additional drop down monitors. This meant we had to settle for the woman telling us about the Qantas first class lounge.

The Qantas in flight magazine was sturdy and had was an interesting read unlike some of the Asian in flight magazines which are more a collection of cosmetic advertising articles.

A pre-departure beverage of orange juice or water was offered from a tray in a proper glass.

We had a late departure of about 35 minutes, setting off with a long taxi to 34 L runway and a departure track straight over downtown Sydney. We passed by with more hangar views on the way out of town.

The departure climb had an immediate left turn with partial view of the downtown, Sydney Harbor Bridge and the Sydney Opera House.

It was a bumpy climb out due to thundershowers. Before we knew it, we were above clear skies headed westward to Adelaide.

The in flight service today offered a full dinner service, served direct from the trolley. There was a choice of chicken leg, green beans and roast potatoes or a lamb and pasta salad. I had the chicken paired with Wirra Wirra Riesling from Adelaide hills. The chicken was topped with fresh sauce scooped straight from the cart immediately before it was served, along with fresh cracked pepper from the mill. It was a classy touch that I haven’t seen anywhere else, recalling those vintage photographs of Pan Am when your ritzy parent’s friends dressed up to dine on board.

Overall, the Qantas service on board was excellent. The manager, Sophia addressed us by surname on every contact, with warm eye contact and was exceptionally pleasant to deal with.

Dinner service concluded with a tea and coffee service.

The flight ended quite quickly after about 2 hours. We landed at the new Adelaide airport. We were met gateside by our good Australian friends who were able to clear security to meet us directly at the gate. Overall, Qantas was a very pleasant way to get around Australia. Despite the somewhat plain interior of the aircraft, the lounges, food, beverage and service was a substantial step up than North American carriers.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:01 am

[QUOTE=worldtraveller73;24223411][B]
”. Surprisingly, the only ID check was at check in during our travels. There was no identification check at security or on boarding of the aircraft which felt like traveling in an era well past.

I totally agree. It spooks me that I can book a flight online, check in online, if I am HLO I can board at the gate just by showing my boarding pass printed at home.

If I check in with Virgin (who do not have all the unmanned kiosks of QF)
the check in person normally requests photo id.

I guess the internet id etc would identify me if there was a suspicion but it does seem a little spooky.

I recently flew out of KUL - totally different, check in passport check, security for customs - outbound immigration, passport and fingerprints checked, security again and then at the gate - uniformed army personal checking your passport and boarding pass match.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 6:04 am

Thanks for the report...AC J really needs to up it's game...
Old Jan 24, 2015, 2:30 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Really interesting TR. Thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

I totally agree. It spooks me that I can book a flight online, check in online, if I am HLO I can board at the gate just by showing my boarding pass printed at home.

If I check in with Virgin (who do not have all the unmanned kiosks of QF)
the check in person normally requests photo id.

I guess the internet id etc would identify me if there was a suspicion but it does seem a little spooky.

I recently flew out of KUL - totally different, check in passport check, security for customs - outbound immigration, passport and fingerprints checked, security again and then at the gate - uniformed army personal checking your passport and boarding pass match.

Great comment adampenrith. In comparison pretty much all flights in and to the USA, the extra security has generated a whole new level of perceived safety. I don't know whether it's actually effective, but I sure happen to notice it when it's gone. Thankfully, there have not been many aviation incidents in Australia involving a security breach. I would have imagined Malaysia would have swung to the other end of the pendulum after the two unknown men snuck onto MH380 on false passports, hence the additional security.

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Thanks for the report...AC J really needs to up it's game...
Thanks Alexisonsmith. They do provide a reliable, if not somewhat predictable product.

Originally Posted by 1P
Really interesting TR. Thanks!
Thanks 1P. More to come...
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Adelaide
South Australia

About 25 years ago, in another life, I used to be a ski instructor at Blackcomb Mountain, Whistler, BC. During that time, I had several Australian flat mates and had some interesting times growing up in my twenties. Through Facebook, I was able to re-connect with some of them, which, in part, prompted this visit to Adelaide. For the next 4 days, we had a home stay with our friends as they showed us around some fantastic South Australia vineyards.

Day #1 Adelaide

We visited several wineries around the Adelaide area thanks to our wonderful hosts. For those are not familiar with the wine regions near Adealide, they are: McLaren Vale, Barossa and Adelaide Hills. An early morning departure and we are off… on the wrong side of the road of course.

We started our first day’s wine tasting in McLaren Vale at Hugh Hamilton. Some beautiful elevated views surrounding the valley floor of McLaren Vale.

Hugh Hamilton has an attractive round tasting room in middle of vines surrounded by sheep branding.

It was immediately obvious from our first tasting experience that we were well off the regular wine tourist trail as there was a complete lack of outside tourists. We enjoyed a tasting with a Portland couple who were spending two months down between Australia and New Zealand. There were the only non Australian tourists we saw all day. I also found it different that almost all the wine tastings (15 out of 17) were completely complimentary with no attempt to charge for pricing or anything like that.

After a few samples, we went onto Battle of Bosworth, an organic winery well off the beaten path. It was so far off the beaten path, I think we were in the smallest tasting room ever. It was all part of the charm as we enjoyed a private tasting there with some really tasty unoaked chardonnay. Their wine labels were reminiscent of seed sachets that your parents used.

The seed sachet labels that reminded me of visiting Buckerfields with my parents when I was young.

Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Star of Greece
Restaurant
Port Willunga

After about 10 or so tastings, it was time for brunch. We were getting pretty snacky by this point. Our wonderful friends took us to what would be the highlight of dining on this trip. Of course, thanks to the addition of copious amounts of wonderful McLaren Vale wines, the Australian accent simulations started by this point as we tried to pronounce the signs on the way.

We rolled into the sea side parking lot at our lunch restaurant: Star of Greece. It’s situated on the coast in Port Willunga near McLaren Vale. We were pretty much blown away with the view. It turned out to be a real gem with views of the Gulf of St Vincent that you wouldn’t easily forget. We've been to a few wine regions around the world, but none with a view quite like this one.

Once we got past that, we headed inside to a quaint little restaurant. We were among the first guests for today’s lunch service.

Star of Greece has nothing to do with Greek food. Rather the restaurant is named after a ship that sank in the area. The restaurant focuses on fresh food that is locally sourced from the nearby region.

We started with an Amuse Bouche

Accompanied with fresh house made bread, balsamic, and braised Port Willunga olives

Local Oysters on Salt, both fresh and breaded.

We had the local specialty of nearby Kangaroo Island Whiting fish and chips. It was prepared nicely. I had the battered version whereas MrsWT73 had the poached version.

It was paired today with a light and delicately crisp Sauvignon Blanc Wine from Eden Claire Valley

All in all it was a fantastic meal and a memorable dining experience on a beautiful day. It was easily the highlight of our restaurant dining during this holiday and had a view that matched the food. I’d definitely make this place a must visit if you happened to be in Adelaide. It’s a mere 40 minutes from the Adelaide CBD. The fact that you can visit world class wineries on the way too and from is a certain bonus as well.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:06 pm
Original Poster

Day #2 - Adelaide Hills.

Day #2 of wine tasting was a bit closer to home. We spent a day wine tasting in nearby Adelaide Hills. It’s a cooler area thanks to elevated mountains going up to a maximum elevation of 710 meters at the peak of Mount Lofty. The wine varietals were much cooler than the hot McLaren Vale Shiraz’s and consisted of mostly white varietals like Sauvingon blanc, reislings and lighter chardonnays.

Most of the approaches to the cellar doors were along twisty roads through hillsides and gum trees well off the beaten path. Our first stop today was at Anderson Hill. It was also a trail head for nearby mountain biking trail descents.

We enjoyed a tasting of 5 varietals, including a sparkling, Sauvingon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvingon. Anderson’s Hill is situated on top of the Adelaide Hills and is a popular spot for mountain biking descents and weddings, not necessarily in that order.

We enjoyed the Pinot Noir so much we decided to split a bottle and have a share on the picnic tables outside.

We later moved on to Pike and Joyce, which was a large scale winery hosting a lunch party.

We had another great tasting with charming staff. We had a good white tasting. Rose sparkling, Sauvingon Blanc, Grunter Veller, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Cabernet. I was still amazed at yet another complimentary stand tasting with another fabulous view across the valley.

It’s not often you get “damp forest floor” as a taste on the tasting note on the back of the bottle.

We then finished up the day with our first paid tasting of the experience at Shaw and Smith. It was an easy $15 for 5 wines with cheese in a formal premium sit down format. Overall, the environment is contemporary and upscale in a small guest experience format.

Shaw and Smith are known for their flagship Shaw and Smith Sauvingon blanc, Shaw and Smith Riesling, M3 Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Shiraz paired with ashed goats’ chevre, triple cream brie, and mature clothed cheddar. Another fabulous setting again and terrific values completely absent of any other tourists.

We retired for a bit of a nap back at the family house. After a refresh, dinner tonight was at the hip Sterling Hotel in Aldgate about 20 minutes east of Adelaide. The Sterling Hotel is the town pub and dining room. Tonight’s dinner was in "The Grill" at the Sterling Hotel. There is also a casual bar if you happen to be by. As we made our way in, our hosts had several greetings with friends before we made it into the dining room. Since I didn’t get the opportunity to take photographs, I have stolen a few from the website, along with one that I happened to snap when no one was looking.

Compliments of the Sterling Hotel website…

The Grill was described as offering cool European interiors and a laid-back lounge style, The Grill is the perfect setting for experiencing the best in fine wining and dining with an Adelaide Hills flavour.

On offer was a full a la carte menu and six-course degustation menu highlited by Adelaide Hills produce personally sourced and prepared by the chef. A substantial wine list of more than 350 bottles included exceptional Old World, New World and locally produced boutique wines.

Indeed, the Grill delivered. We each had the two course menu at $55 per person, indulging in two bottles of wine amongst the five of us; a Ripostle Pinot Noir and a Two Hands Shiraz from the Barossa.

First course was a duck confit with accompanied with a truffled egg confit – absolutely spectacular.

For the main course, I went with a Suffolk Lamb Rack with a side of green beans and asparagus.

We also had a dessert sticky wine; 2011 Teusner “100 Flowers” Botrytis Riesling (Barossa Valley, SA). It’s always a great experience to taste something local. We were quite cheery by this point. I hope my friends don't mind this one. . .

A truly fresh and fabulous meal that featured the freshest of what Adelaide had to offer. Overall, I was quite impressed at the quality of food and wine available in this region. It was a terrific food and wine day with great examples at Star of Greece and the Sterling Hotel. Both were must visits if you happened to be in the area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.